test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Economy

kellemaniackellemaniac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 69 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Dear Community,

Since Modul 5 and the most recent start of Tiamat, nearly everything lost its value.

T1: dropps now by HE's in mass
T2: dropps now by Tiamat
Artefact gear: Belts drop like lvl 4 enchants and flood the market, cloaks can be bought with 15 Luna's favour, which requires around 15x times defeating Tiamat

What else is there soon to grind for?

About the belt prices at Mod 4, atleast guilds had a reason to exist to run some dungeons for profit. Now you must either pay zillions of ZEN to get decent enchants or have 10 characters to salvage Epic gear. No dungeon gives profit for a split run now and every newcomer can buy a "piece of rare artefact gear", which they cant even get close to purple, to nonexistent ways to grind AD to buy RP. Like 8/10 of players I see got a green belt.

I'd start with removing t1/t2 gear from HE's/Lostmauth/Tiamat and decreasing the drop of artefact belts/cloaks drastically.

Anymore ideas? If you won't jump on this train, this game will die. So stop dumb commentaries or flames, a new player shouldnt have any kind of artefact gear/t2 in a couple of days.
Remember my Name.
Post edited by kellemaniac on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Personally, I think the economy is FINALLY starting to do well. The ZAX has dropped below 500 for the first time in nearly 6 months. The value of AD has been slowly increasing. And while prices on items are falling, its prompting people to spend it more, draining the glut of AD out of the system. And allowing the market a chance to actually balance itself.

Frankly, its been a long time coming.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    a new player shouldnt have any kind of artefact gear/t2 in a couple of days.

I agree with this and only this.
  • lesbianseagu11lesbianseagu11 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Agreed. When belts were 5 mill each, they were only attainable to a few people. Now more people can attain them, and with that, those same people are spending money on RP to refine them. It's not just good for the economy, but overall good for the health of the game to make good items accessable to most people, not just a few.
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I honestly think Artifact gear should come from quests. Not dailies, but different chain quests, like the ones you do when leveling; or even just one hard instance, that requires good gear.

It's not bad that everyone can get it, but it's bad that it became mundane. Unfortunately (or fortunately, who knows?) it's too late to change it right now.

About the T1 and T2... I think the dungeons's rewards should be replaced with something more interesting now, like companions or regular artifacts. This is what I can suggest.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If the belts dropped as legendary items, I could see them being ultra rare. You can already get the weapons simply by doing the campaign, they cost almost nothing to make. There are many Artifacts that are also easy to get, heck they give you your first one for free too. So im at a loss where this whole, artifacts should be super rare, expensive, and hard to get, mindset comes from. Green artifacts SHOULD be easy to get, the challenge is getting them to legendary, not the artifact itself.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Things keep getting cheaper on the Auction House, which is a good thing. I personally do not think the Economy is in a horrible place at the moment. Yes, it does need to get better but the way for it to get better is not something the players can control. For what needs to be done is:

We need:
    • More cheap AD Sinks that encourage repeat purchases.
    • Cheaper costs on current sinks we have now for repeat purchases (mount and companion upgrades, transmutes, etc.)
    • Things to spend Rough Astral Diamonds on.

We don't need:
    • More AD in the game.

Once we have an ample supply of encouraged and cheap repeat purchase AD sinks, the Economy will get far better for everyone.
    edited December 2014
    I do not need more AD sinks, personally. I do not ever buy zen with AD and never have. I have sold an awful lot of zen though. You are welcome. I have over a dozen characters, and each uses the AD he generates for himself. That is making things really tight (it basically means I generate my 24K quota daily and little more. People with only one or two characters can easily do much more than that, using the AH. Yes I know I am making it harder on myself.. my main is only a bit better than my least favorite.

But this is what I like to do.

Edit- yes, there was a time we needed more sinks.. but mostly we needed the sinks we already had to be made more reasonable. We ended up getting a bit of both.. although more of one than needed and not enough of the other.
    We have enough now. So lower the price of upgrading mounts/companions, or leave it alone for a little while, please.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Yep. New players are screwed. At least I have enough diamonds from when PVE wasn't useless in open beta
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    I do not need more AD sinks, personally. I do not ever buy zen with AD and never have. I have sold an awful lot of zen though. You are welcome. I have over a dozen characters, and each uses the AD he generates for himself. That is making things really tight (it basically means I generate my 24K quota daily and little more. People with only one or two characters can easily do much more than that, using the AH. Yes I know I am making it harder on myself.. my main is only a bit better than my least favorite.

But this is what I like to do.

Edit- yes, there was a time we needed more sinks.. but mostly we needed the sinks we already had to be made more reasonable. We ended up getting a bit of both.. although more of one than needed and not enough of the other.
    We have enough now. So lower the price of upgrading mounts/companions, or leave it alone for a little while, please.
    I'm not talking about adding more overpriced AD sinks, like we have now. They all need to be far cheaper and add more cheap sinks that encourage repeat purchases.
    Yep. New players are screwed. At least I have enough diamonds from when PVE wasn't useless in open beta
    Which having cheaper AD sinks would benefit too.
    edited December 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the overpriced AD sinks we have now. They all need to be far cheaper and add more cheap sinks that encourage repeat purchases.

I agree. Wasn't directly responding to what you said, just that what you said set me thinkin'.
  • nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was buying zen every week and selling it on the exchange,Ive been playing sense 5/13 spending an average $20 to $30 a week,now the exchange has dropped well below 500,even 499 wasn't bad but looking at exchange rate now and it looks like its still dropping its just not worth it for me so I'm no longer buying and selling zen for AD.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We need:
    • More cheap AD Sinks that encourage repeat purchases.

We've got two new AD sinks introduced with the lastest mod in the form of the Cube of Augmentation and Dragon Empire Treasure. Whether or not you view them as cheap is another thing but they are repeatable purchases, up to a point. If the ZAX is any reflection then the desirability of AD has gone up at the moment. We'll see where the conversion rate goes, that'll dictate whether any changes are made to shift the trend.
    edited December 2014
    Yeah. Your main point was basically pointless. I already said which bit I agreed with. The rest was of no interest. The game is not here for one person, it is here for all. The market has basically become not the main focus of the game. So yeah, the folks who used to buy their way to dominance of that are very sad. But the actual players of the game are.. playing the game.

It should be harder to get into endgame content and endgame gear than it currently is. That is the only thing about this thread that is useful, IMO.

Edit- Don't take this as an attack.. it is not meant that way. It is just strongly felt opinion.
    edited December 2014
    I dunno, but your original post seemed about 180 degrees from this latest one. Maybe I have misunderstood you.
    I took your original post to suggest that people are getting things too easily, and in some cases they are.
    This latest post talks about things being too hard to rank up, and in ALL cases they are.
    The accomplishment needs to be in the acquisition of such items. Ranking them up should just happen by playing the game. (Insert some dude's post about it being his idea for XP to be applied to ranking up artifacts.. haha)

I agree that new players should have to work for stuff. I contend that people that already have should not have the carpet snatched from under them. That is all.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Look, see what will happen soon.

Gear will have basically no value at all. We can all get gear now!

So what WILL have value?

A) Items from lockboxes (requires zen)
    b) Items from zen store (requies zen)
    c) RP

RP is theoretically farmable, but since the drop rate is awful and it would take hundreds of hours of boredom to get enough of it, we will buy botted RP until it runs out. then C becomes

C) RP- which requires zen.

So basically everything will be cheap except things that involve zen! It's good business, but is it good for the game? How long until people (maybe new people say) quit because nothing is obtainable without paying? Or what if they already spent their 100-200$ and they don't matter anymore?

I haven't followed prices of most things, but economy is rapidly crashing. Pretty soon everyone will be broke - all is going according to plan.
  • laughingbirddddlaughingbirdddd Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2014

At least I had cheap RP to refine my artifact:)
    New players can easily get their artifact belts...but they will never be able to refine their belts to legendary unless they open their wallet to pay couple times more than the last mod xd
    edited December 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    So basically everything will be cheap except things that involve zen! It's good business, but is it good for the game? How long until people (maybe new people say) quit because nothing is obtainable without paying? Or what if they already spent their 100-200$ and they don't matter anymore?
    I feel this part of the argument is invalid for the simple fact that we can buy almost anything in game with Astral Diamonds. Nothing in the Zen Store is unobtainable and as Zen:AD ratio keeps dropping, as it is right now (Just bought a nice chunk of Zen for 477 Ad per), Zen items will become easier to obtain. This just leaves certain Packs that still cost real money and even some of them are on the Zen market too. So, once most of the AD is gone from the economy, players will need to decide: 1) Spend AD on Sinks, 2) Spend AD on Zen, 3) Buy Zen with real money.

As it is now, with the prices as they are, when an average players does either 1 or 2, that leaves them totally broke to do the other. Instead, what should happen is an economy where players don't feel like they have to dump all their AD into one thing.
  • norcaine1990norcaine1990 Member Posts: 93
    edited December 2014
    I feel this part of the argument is invalid for the simple fact that we can buy almost anything in game with Astral Diamonds. Nothing in the Zen Store is unobtainable and as Zen:AD ratio keeps dropping, as it is right now (Just bought a nice chunk of Zen for 477 Ad per), Zen items will become easier to obtain. This just leaves certain Packs that still cost real money and even some of them are on the Zen market too. So, once most of the AD is gone from the economy, players will need to decide: 1) Spend AD on Sinks, 2) Spend AD on Zen, 3) Buy Zen with real money.

As it is now, with the prices as they are, when an average players does either 1 or 2, that leaves them totally broke to do the other. Instead, what should happen is an economy where players don't feel like they have to dump all their AD into one thing.

You're missing a point here. What chem said is, there's no way for a newcommer to make AD to catch up to old playerbase. Things farmable in the past are losing value rapidly and there's nothing more worth farming to make AD. Only solution is to buy Zen with $$ and either exchange it for AD or buy something from Zen store and sell it on the AH for AD.

You can transfer AD to buy Zen and that makes every Zen store item obtainable w/o paying, sure, but first of all, you have to make AD to do so. Right now, there's no way to make amounts of AD required to go to Zen store for shopping. Unless you spend next half a year creating Leadership farm, you won't be able to catch up if you're new to the game, unless you throw your money at Cryptic. THAT'S the point.
  • dawidinsandawidinsan Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    t1 drop from HE is stupid idea remove it
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's amazing to see how wildly this forum oscillates between the extremes.

Prior to Module 5, people were complaining about how big the gap between new and old players was, and how new players had "no chance" to be competitive because they were so far behind.

Now people are complaining that gear is dropping to easily, the T1/T2 sets (which are over 20 months old) are easy to get, and that your average player now has a shot at getting an artifact drop.

I think things are better than ever. Things aren't totally ridiculous on the AH, and it gives your average player who generates wealth and gets their items through actually playing the game a chance to get geared up and play the newest content. The players who are losing out are those who considered themselves the "elite" who farmed dungeons to get very rare BOE drops to sell on the AH, or who could play 24/7 and grind dungeons for Artifact drops, or had enough wealth to win on the key lottery.

I think the game is more playable than ever, especially for people who are mostly F2P, and I applaud Cryptic for the direction they've been going.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014

You're missing a point here. What chem said is, there's no way for a newcommer to make AD to catch up to old playerbase. Things farmable in the past are losing value rapidly and there's nothing more worth farming to make AD. Only solution is to buy Zen with $$ and either exchange it for AD or buy something from Zen store and sell it on the AH for AD.

You can transfer AD to buy Zen and that makes every Zen store item obtainable w/o paying, sure, but first of all, you have to make AD to do so. Right now, there's no way to make amounts of AD required to go to Zen store for shopping. Unless you spend next half a year creating Leadership farm, you won't be able to catch up if you're new to the game, unless you throw your money at Cryptic. THAT'S the point.

This is a myth. It never was the case. Your "average" player wasn't speed running CN to sell the Ancient drops. They weren't making money selling lockbox stuff, or anything else the "elite" players were doing to make AD. That's why the prices were so high on stuff last year. It's silly to think that something the "average" player can do is going to generate the kind of AD you're talking about. It just doesn't make sense.

But again, this is the smokescreen the elites use because THEY could make money doing that. If you ever see someone on this forum lamenting how they can't farm CN anymore for lots of AD, they don't care about the average player. They just want to see a return to the days where only THEY could make lots of AD and sell otherwise unobtainable gear to the average. They're the ones who want to see a return to this by-gone era.

The whole "oooh, new players can't compete" is just a strawman constructed by people who want to return to the days where the top 1% were the only ones who had access to the "best" and sold it to the everyman for big profits.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...a new player shouldnt have any kind of artefact gear/t2 in a couple of days.

A new player can't. Unless they throw gobs of $ into Z to sell for AD, which is all perfectly fine if they want to do that. Alts on the other hand should be able to do that easily, else they can grind for it all again. Which is the lesser of two evils for you personally?

Supply.
    Demand.

How one affects the other is what makes the economy what it is.

Your example of artifact belts: the Devs intentionally increased the drop rate, supply grows, demand remains the same or drops, prices go down. Supply affects demand = lower prices. No intention of insulting anyone's intellect, but there are some here who may not fully understand this mechanic of how economies work. And though it's a really simplified explanation, it's spot-on with regard to the example given.

The economy is finally returning to where it was a year ago. When the ZAX reach 300- to 350:1 ratio then we'll have finally arrived.
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seems silly because to be 100% honest...

If I had just bought my T2 loot, and skipped the experience of playing through T1 and T2 of release Neverwinter with my friends, jumping straight to the modern "daily grind", I wouldn't have liked this game at all...

The #1 feature of NW is the initial T1/T2 dungeon crawl experience. What is the newbie min/max play right now? Go get coffers from WoD. Sell coffers. Buy T2 loot. I am just trying to figure out what I would do if I was a newbie today.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I agree. The dungeons is where the fun is at. But lately the objective of players shifted from doing dungeons and have fun together to gaining power and wealth as soon as possible.
    I think that's at least partly to do with how dysfunctional the Queue and LFG is in NWO. The average player won't know about Legit and won't necessarily have joined a guild - they're experience of dungeons will come from PuG groups obtained through Queue and LFG. And as we see from frequent posts on here, that experience is quite likely to be horrible.

No wonder more and more players are attracted to solo and semi-solo content.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Actually, they can. Even just doing your dailies as a fresh lvl60 you can make 200k AD in less than 2 weeks, which is enough for any of the old artifact belts. And unless you're a CW, if you keep that up for a month, you can buy your T2 gear straight from the AH before you even finished the first 2 campaigns. I understand you explanation, but there is something called too much supply. While that may or may not affect the economy, it certainly affects the gameplay of new people.

I don't consider a level 60 to be a "new player". If the OP is referring to "new 60" player: meh. So they can, but beyond that what difference does it make to you (general 'you') really? The fact remains: supply, demand, it makes the economy go 'round. The example of Artifact belts is the perfect example.

So my original comment is still relevant in a truthful, accurate way.
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hmm. This is simple. A new player can take advantage of the "older" players, buy farming what the older players need (and won't sell) and selling them at an overpriced value. (Dragon Hoard Coffers anyone?). A player can fairly easily refine their RP belt atm by selling these alone.

This will continue in each module.

Post is invalid.

And you're welcome for doing my part in bringing down the Zen market starting at 2:30AM PST Friday Morning.

Instead of a "L2P" post, learn the economics side of things and you'll be much happier.
  • kempo23kempo23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Because of all the new T2, and T1 drops. They destroyed GG and the original dungeons.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014

in the end every fresh lvl 60 will have BiS stuff since it will be dirt cheap and drop in piles, and then they will just log on to invoke(only f2p way to get ad since items are worth nothing) and do daily quests(at best)

only thing ppl will spend AD on will be zen to buy zen RP, then there will be 100 bil zen backlog and then cryptic can shut down the servers

the problem is that either items are gated by insanely low RNG chance or they flood the market since the skill/time gating for content doesnt exist, every derp can run any content in 15min tops for as many times a day he has time

so they added stupid refinement system so everybody isnt BiS the day they hit lvl 60

make hard content that can be completed 1/day/account and reward BoE stuff at reasonable rates - that should solve most problems with gear overflow
    Paladin Master Race
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Personally I appreciate that you can get decent rewards from newer content. Since module 1, I was heavily disappointed in all of the content released because it felt stingy and unrewarding. In order to get t2 gear you need to spend ad or zen for a key anyway. I feel like gg should have been more rewarding in its drops and the difficulty of the raid reflects its reward. You do say it affects newer players and older content, but personally I felt they have long been past worth doing anyway. They're just old. You may have a point with newer players. I've long felt sorry for them way before mod 5.

As for artifact belts. They were stupidly rare for something that starts out as a piece of rubbish and requires a tonne of resources and effort to gear up. Had they came legendary as someone else already said or there was a feasible non costly way to level them up (ie from only xp) then something closer (though preferably a little more achievable) to mod 4 drop rates would be acceptable. Unfortunately it's highly player unfriendly and so the drop rates and values are pretty fair I'd say.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Since module 1, I was heavily disappointed in all of the content released because it felt stingy and unrewarding. In order to get t2 gear you need to spend ad or zen for a key anyway.

i got my t2 set without any zen/keys/whatever. then it just took a guild that can run the content, had a lot of fun then, it was challenging, we wiped, tried different ways to do stuff. now there isnt anything fun left, everything is just a chore, spend x min doing that daily, then x min doing that, then run HE at 0.2~1fps, dungeons are so easy that i can do them with any pug that provides cannon fodder, cw's can solo about everything
    Paladin Master Race