What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please help: Gear Score

2»

Comments

• smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Not necessarily. (I know nothing about the posters above and my comments are not directed at any specific person, I am speaking in a general sense). It is entirely possible to artificially inflate your GS without appreciably increasing your actual power, but I find that most people with a reasonably high GS have a decent idea of where to put their points.

18.9k is a great GS, but it is hardly the pinnacle of GS achievement. My CW is running with a 20,299 GS at present, but my build is a bit different than most (Oppressor CW focused on control and not damage) I have seen MANY CWs with a higher GS than mine that did not impress me. I have seen CWs with less GS than me do incredible things.

I disagree with the statement that "The best advice to give about GS is to not give a **** about it except for being at the minimum to enter the dungeons." You should pay attention to your GS and you should be actively looking to increase it when the increases make sense.

However, you should NOT think that a higher GS is all that matters. Do your research, look at the popular builds and learn WHY the author decided to use what gear (and what stats he was after). A character with a high gearscore, and the points in the right places, is quite impressive.

Any CW that is using rank 7 enchants and are above 18k GS is inflating his GS with non optimal items/feats/companion.
    The exception to that is if you pvp.

CW cap out a bit under 20k GS with ranks 10 when they built properly for pve. Higher than that means you inflated your GS with bad decisions somewhere. Again, not applicable to pvp.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Actually, a CW should cap out at 19363 GS when built correctly (give or take a few due to some buffs that alter GS). Add 310 GS if you are gonna use the red dragon ioun stone.

* This is as a thiefling, other races might have a bit more/less due to race.

This is also with what I consider BiS for thaumaturge PvE.
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    Any CW that is using rank 7 enchants and are above 18k GS is inflating his GS with non optimal items/feats/companion.
    The exception to that is if you pvp.

CW cap out a bit under 20k GS with ranks 10 when they built properly for pve. Higher than that means you inflated your GS with bad decisions somewhere. Again, not applicable to pvp.

There is no standard built "properly" for pve. I saw almost all the cw with most of the stats in power, crit and armor penetration but please tell me why are CONTROL wizards called Control Wizards?
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There actually is standard of properly built for pve. What he is referring to is that you can go well above 20k gs as a CW but if you are then you are;

a: using 2 different set bonuses from your armor (ie +450 stat x 2) instead of a 4 piece bonus like HV.
    b: choosing artifacts based on the maximum stat bonus instead of stats you need +a useful bonus like CA or AP gain, etc
    c: choosing companions that give stats instead of % effects.

Doing these things will give you a much higher GS but makes you far less effective than someone who chose their gear correctly based on being effective.

Not that it really matters you can practically afk through dungeons anyway, we so overgear everything that pretty much each properly built character can solo the place, it hardly matters how effective you are unless you happen to be a in party where all 5 of you decided that GS was more important than being effective.

And even then, you'll still beat the dungeon, just not as quickly. And you might actually die and have to use an injury kit.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just posted a new guide in the library, I'd recommend reading that.

If you want to have some help on gear specifically, write me a mail and find me in game. That way i can come look at you.

I'm glad to assist,

Chem
  • leandreav1leandreav1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    healary wrote: »
    There is no standard built "properly" for pve. I saw almost all the cw with most of the stats in power, crit and armor penetration but please tell me why are CONTROL wizards called Control Wizards?

Because some decided to call them that? What is your point? What does it matter what someone decided to call them as opposed to what they ARE? Which are damage dealing monsters who ALSO control like gods WITHOUT weakening their build by taking useless feats or gear because, behold, someone decided to slap 'Control' on their names.

You sound suspiciously like the roleplayers I've met over the years who would mangle a build because it fit their roleplay concept, and then went out to PvE. Flashnews: mobs don't care about roleplay. Or what is on the name.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    healary wrote: »

The irony, of course, is that a CW's ability to control is completely neutered when dealing with enemies where said control would actually be of some use; There is no need to control the lowest classes of enemies - but if you could hold Valindra or some of the other big bosses, THEN that'd be something to write home about, (and I'm not just talking about a split second here or there, either).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    leandreav1 wrote: »
    Because some decided to call them that? What is your point? What does it matter what someone decided to call them as opposed to what they ARE? Which are damage dealing monsters who ALSO control like gods WITHOUT weakening their build by taking useless feats or gear because, behold, someone decided to slap 'Control' on their names.

You sound suspiciously like the roleplayers I've met over the years who would mangle a build because it fit their roleplay concept, and then went out to PvE. Flashnews: mobs don't care about roleplay. Or what is on the name.

AFAIK, This game is a MMORPG. The developer designed the classes. One of these classes they made is Control Wizards. They did not say the "standard" of that class is dps, or so and so... They also made other classes such as Devoted Clerics. Nobody said you can't have dps DC. In fact, there are many of them in the game but nobody can say whatever build with whatever stats are "standard", in the very least, those are not the "standards" set either by Cryptic or Wizard of the Coast.

Flashnews: mobs also don't care about your so called "standard". You can one hit them with a godly weapon. You can tickle them to death with a level 1 weapon. You can stand them and let them kill you. They just don't care about "standard".
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How much do Warlocks Scourge? How much do Clerics Devote? Why do people complain about Rogues who get Tricky by using stealth?
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    Actually, a CW should cap out at 19363 GS when built correctly (give or take a few due to some buffs that alter GS). Add 310 GS if you are gonna use the red dragon ioun stone.

* This is as a thiefling, other races might have a bit more/less due to race.

This is also with what I consider BiS for thaumaturge PvE.

I'm at 19.4k right now. Would be like 19.6 with all tens? Will obviously go up mod 5

I think it's because I use gwf sigil. While it's a stat artifact, it's the best one.
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for all of your help everyone! Here are my before (~11.5k GS) and after (~14k GS) stats. As you can see
    - I picked up a Belial's Portal Stone, which helped generally with the GS and also with Life Steal.
    - My Crit stat went down, probably due to armor equipped. I plan on working on Crit and Life Steal through boons and anywhere else I can.
    - After reading Chem's CW Guide I respecced into higer CHA instead of WIS.
    - I also swapped the powers I slot: Conduit of Ice in Mastery (instead of Chill Strike), and Icy Terrain (instead of Entangling Force). I'm keeping Sudden Storm and Steal Time slotted, though I did take the feat that adds Chill stacks with Sudden Storm. I am also using Chilling Cloud as my main At-Will instead of Magic Missile. I will still be swapping to ranged, Single Target powers for Dragon fights, namely Icy Rays, Entangling Force, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Chill Strike.

SapphireSheet-Old.png

SapphireSheet.png

I have found a lot of content to be significantly easier, so the Armor Pen has already made a huge difference. I really appreciate all the help everyone has offered here, thank you very much!
    qtPt2I
  • wick220wick220 Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2014
    Please tell me you didn't use those Coalescent Wards on Rank 6 enchantments??
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wick220 wrote: »
    Please tell me you didn't use those Coalescent Wards on Rank 6 enchantments??

She assured us she did not somewhere mid-thread. :)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia