What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is this game so expensive?

Comments

• Options
    oxdarksoulxooxdarksoulxo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well i might not actually have legendary gear... too many color schemes in games xD ive been playing destiny lately... i have a bunch of purples and a few blues and use mainly level 5 and above runes... im just getting together stuff from sharandar and have some gloves from dead ring... since i cant access the higher GS areas yet i only have the ones i have access to, that i may make assumptions that as expensive as they are to me now that they only get more and more expensive... i have a ton of trouble getting astral diamonds... im sitting on like 22k and i know thats not even a lot but idk how to get more... it seems like its difficult to get unless you have things worth selling in the auction house or buy zen to trade into AD...but to get things worth selling you need to have enough to buy them in the first place... its all really confusing for me as im not a usual MMO player and this is the only one ive ever actually liked... its the first MMO besides Guild Wars 1 that i even hit max level in let alone thought about end game raids

side note ive not gone into pvp since my early first character so i dont really know anything about how it works in this game or what the rewards are besides pvp gear.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well I guess it 's their problem. Nothing forces you to spend money. PVE can be done without spending any money. It may take a bit longer but as somebody Said you can try different classes and they are regularly releasing new ones. If you talk about top level PVP, in almost any competitive activity spending money for better gear is part of the game. If you like racing, buying a better car will help you. Same here.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How do you progress w\o legendary items? I have legendary items and my gear score is just under 9000 so I can't even do a lot of campaigns because my gear score is too low
    Are you serious? Can you let us know the name of your Legendary items, and maybe post a screenshot of your gear?
    Have you considered that the OP accidentally might not know about legendary gear and is referring to epic gear? Do not offend immediately, think a bit, please.
    pointsman wrote: »
    Oh for heaven's sake.

Why do people constantly equate "progress" with "moar gearz"?

News flash: "progress" may ALSO mean:
    playing foundries
    writing foundries
    role playing stories
    completing collections
    mastering your class
    mastering all classes
    exploring different races

AS WELL AS

getting BiS gear

Sheesh
    'cause no one can see or compare the items you mentioned.

my 22" GS is much bigger and better than yous 15" GS - You is a puny ant

It's the numbers! Comparing, and most probably a perceived primitive male domination issue, mating rights and stuff like that.
    It's built in, I am afraid. You do not get points for mastering all classes, only your joy. No bragging rights.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well I guess it 's their problem. Nothing forces you to spend money. PVE can be done without spending any money. It may take a bit longer but as somebody Said you can try different classes and they are regularly releasing new ones. If you talk about top level PVP, in almost any competitive activity spending money for better gear is part of the game. If you like racing, buying a better car will help you. Same here.

i dont have a problem with spending money... im just saying the amount they ask for is too much. its not even about racing, and its not like im saying everything should be free... im saying they are selling virtual items that you dont even own when you pay for them. virtual items that they dont have to pay anything to make. theres no good reason they are as expensive as they are. its not like when i pay $50 for a pack or items in the zen shop im getting actual physical items, im not. i dont think everythings overpriced but a lot of it is. the dragonborn legendary pack could probably stood ok at around $40 instead of $75 and there is just no reason that the menzoberranzan drow needs to be in a $200 pack... when its almost the exact same as a normal drow... i mean thats simply outrageous. i see a lot of people saying "if you dont like it dont pay it its as simple as that" and thats just stupid. the fact is i like the game, and i like the content, and i like the stuff they are selling. i just wont pay what they are asking because its outragous in some cases when you consider the fact that 1. you dont own any of the stuff you are buying(unlike all of the things you would own if you bought them in real life like a better car) and 2. its virtual items that cost them nothing to make. keys shoul be half the price they are, and lockboxes should be worth opening. that wont hurt them it could only help so i dont see the problem with making lockboxes contain practical items everyone needs like greater health potions, refining materials, materials needed for upgrading things and such stuff as that so that if you dont win the virtual lottery you still got your moneys worth. the stupid bars just dont cut it.
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    luxark wrote: »
    Most foundries are incredible boring. And i value my freetime a bit too much to bore me through a ton of foundries to find maybe a single really good one. The editor and the rewards should be improved by A LOT before i play or even create foundries.
    Strictly speaking this would not be an issue of the toolset, but the simple enough fact that however earnest and motivated they may be most Foundry authors can't write worth squat. Which is certainly excusable considering an awful lot of professional authors aren't much better, but that doesn't help the content produced.

Storytelling is hard.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh for heaven's sake.

playing foundries
    writing foundries
    role playing stories
    completing collections
    mastering your class
    mastering all classes

AS WELL AS

getting BiS gear

Sheesh

At the moment, I mostly enjoy levelling my followers and playing them on the gateway. OK, I still never had a level 60 character :)
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking this would not be an issue of the toolset, but the simple enough fact that however earnest and motivated they may be most Foundry authors can't write worth squat. Which is certainly excusable considering an awful lot of professional authors aren't much better, but that doesn't help the content produced.

Yes, this is the problem. A lot ("alot"* sic) of the foundries actually give me a headache due to how badly written they are- they read as though they have been written by a bright eight year-old. Many could benefit from proofreading, quite a few could be improved by having all the text excised with a flame-thrower and replaced with something that didn't read like it was scraped from /zone.

Even if the mechanics are changed so that foundries are more numerically rewarding, they are still going to be offputting when so many of them seem so slapdash and amateurish.

* Yes, you know the drill, "alot", "per say" and so forth. Basic literacy alert!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Yes, this is the problem. A lot ("alot"* sic) of the foundries actually give me a headache due to how badly written they are- they read as though they have been written by a bright eight year-old. Many could benefit from proofreading, quite a few could be improved by having all the text excised with a flame-thrower and replaced with something that didn't read like it was scraped from /zone.

Even if the mechanics are changed so that foundries are more numerically rewarding, they are still going to be offputting when so many of them seem so slapdash and amateurish.
    Personally I suspect Foundry authoring serves a lot of people as an outlet for the same kinds of urges that produce fanfics.
    Most of which are beyond awful.

The basic issue with *any* "public created" content is that they're basically "punk rock" in the semi-negative sense - 'drive' rather than 'technical' skill. Such approach has its pros, but the end products are DEFINITELY a mixed bag and only too well validate the quip about 80% of anything being garbage.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh for heaven's sake.

playing foundries
    writing foundries
    role playing stories
    completing collections
    mastering your class
    mastering all classes

AS WELL AS

getting BiS gear

Sheesh

Foundries are fairly limited in their potential and there a re a lot of meh foundries and of course are totally unrewarding. You can't add custom cutscenes, you can't change damage or level as well as attacks and hp (so no true boss fights). We all know how trivial that is once you have any kind of respectable gear.
    Roleplaying is great to be creativity but roleplayers are the minority.
    Collections are pointless, a lot of it is junk and contains stuff that you just don't want or can afford. basically its mostly a wallet feature, it's not really fulfilling.
    As for mastering your class, it's pretty hard to do when they added a tonne of gs without content designed for it and the ai is pretty dumb. You're not pushed to your limits so you can't really master anything.
    Mastering all classes, well it's a target, and I did unlock all classes myself, but surely you can respect that people have no interest in some or most classes or want to pay for the slots to do so.
    As for exploring different races, meh races are fairly trivial unless you want to min/max specific traits. Something the majority can and should pay little attention to.

Really progress now comes down to (for most core players):
    Completing a campaign (boring)
    Get loot where you have one side where you get them easily but are bound and unable to do anything with the excess or too hard in which they're practically unachievable.
    Farm AD for a wide choice of items which has been nerfed to death for farmers.

Since beta people have been trying to get better gear, to their t2 set, cn weapon set, and then they continued farming to improve their enchantments. There was a constant progress where you were always moving forward. Now that's taken away basically. With artifact gear if you get the piece that is which is a challenge that you can't really aim for in itself, you don't make progress. Once you reach epic you have another 4m rp to go and when ever you top off, you're really not going anywhere. It's so much to farm, making little progress and even if it does level up, it equates to nothing because the rank is what's important. Improving your character has always been the drive between a lot of people and it's gone from something obtainable but a constant form of progression to something that is so far out of sight unless ca-ching or you're already established and buy from the botters and the few farmers.
  • Options
    sihvebisihvebi Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2014

* Yes, you know the drill, "alot", "per say" and so forth. Basic literacy alert!

Foundries are a huge draw to veteran players of Neverwinter Nights. The entire basis of the popularity of NWN was the ability to play modules created by your peers. It was very strategic of PW to include Module Creation (Foundries) in to NW.

With that said. Without a sizable team of people to edit and approve foundries dungeons, most are going to be pretty raw. That's to be expected. These aren't game developers. They are hobbyists who are using a limited number of tools to produce content.

Not lecturing anybody here. Just pointing out that maybe we should appreciate the time and resources that foundries content creators invest so that we have constantly fresh content. :)
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just to point out - Cryptic created the Foundry long before Neverwinter came out. Star Trek Online has had this for a long time, it *may* have been the Foundry in STO has it genesis in ultra-early NW dev work, but if so, it was well before Cryptic even announced it was working on Neverwinter at all. Not saying it shouldn't be in Neverwinter (the opposite is true of course) just saying it wasn't created as part of Neverwinter, and it's inclusion in Neverwinter was probably never even a question. That is to say, I doubt it was included specifically as a strategic move to capture NWN players, that was probably a good side affect (or at least and "hey, also by creating a NW version of the STO foundry system, we'll get better penetration into the NWN player market! Sweet!")
  • Options
    sihvebisihvebi Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kvet wrote: »
    (or at least and "hey, also by creating a NW version of the STO foundry system, we'll get better penetration into the NWN player market! Sweet!")

Absolutely. However, I seriously doubt that NW would be half as popular if it didn't have player generated content. Torchlight is really the only other game to tackle the same mechanic but of course its more relevant to a Diablo crowd that to NW.
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Oh for heaven's sake.

playing foundries
    writing foundries
    role playing stories
    completing collections
    mastering your class
    mastering all classes

AS WELL AS

getting BiS gear

Sheesh

That's what most MMORPG players equate with progress. Neverwinter is an MMORPG to most players in case you haven't noticed.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Isn't NW based on the same engine? Obviously they're not going to reinvent the wheel for no reason.
  • Options
    maxibestmaxibest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited November 2014
    last time I checked, the dollar price for a one time use item, in the case of a single coal ward is in the region of $10. there's nothing micro about that.

that's why a lot of players, myself included don't put a single penny into the game.

Exactly. If they werent so much like this i would gladly spend money. For example, in League of Legends i have a skin for every champion i own. I have almost all champions.

The mere fact that they are "squeezing" me into buying zen with real cash its what drives me away.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    sihvebi wrote: »

With that said. Without a sizable team of people to edit and approve foundries dungeons, most are going to be pretty raw. That's to be expected. These aren't game developers. They are hobbyists who are using a limited number of tools to produce content.

Not lecturing anybody here. Just pointing out that maybe we should appreciate the time and resources that foundries content creators invest so that we have constantly fresh content. :)

I'm not talking about tools used to author the foundries- I'm talking about how badly written they are. That is not a problem caused by a poor toolset, just a an incredibly slapdash approach. Written, as in the words used, as opposed to the general construction of the foundry.

As was mentioned above, it's the fanfic effect- that's a much better way to explain it, and I wish that I had thought of it :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Nothing wrong with amateur authorship and enthusiastic tyros exploring their creative side... besides the quality of 95+% of the output.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Please do not discuss the legal ramifications of lockboxes or what laws you believe they violate, or any similar legal discussion. If you feel the issue needs addressing by legal means, please contact either your legislator or lawyer/solicitor but please do not discuss it on the forums.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not talking about tools used to author the foundries- I'm talking about how badly written they are. That is not a problem caused by a poor toolset, just a an incredibly slapdash approach. Written, as in the words used, as opposed to the general construction of the foundry.

As was mentioned above, it's the fanfic effect- that's a much better way to explain it, and I wish that I had thought of it :D

Most authors, actual book authors, have an editor that proofreads their text. Most Foundry authors create as a solo venture and may require reviews/emails to bring those errors to their attention. Most Foundry authors are not English majors, for some, English is a second or third language. I was a film major in college, not an English major, the Foundry is another opportunity to create. That being said, many of the Foundry quests are designed for quick leveling or enchantment/refinement farming. There are story-focused quests that are well written, it's likely those authors have some concept of grammar. You have to remember the Foundry is available to everyone so you're going to get the full spectrum of capability. I am continually updating my quest, (I'm working on a second) using feedback I've received to make it more polished.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    but the lockboxes are the main money sinks im talking about... the fact that they are randomized and it seems like the chances of getting anything good is so low makes me question why the keys are so expensive

I can agree that some of their packs are overly expensive, but it's obvious your main complaint is about the lock boxes. However, it should be obvious that lock boxes are for people that don't mind spending lots of money on a game and are always looking for ways to spend more. Chance based stuff have an element of gamble to them (to overstate the obvious). If you are a small spender, avoid the gamble stuff. Carefully choose the fixed price (you pay a specific amount to get exactly what you wanted to buy) stuff that gives you the best bang for the buck. For example, the cheapest 110% mount you can buy on sale or with coupon. If spending less is what you want, you should easily be able to give up cosmetic differences. Who cares about the legendary color mount in a lock box? There are also a lot of other expensive stuff that give your character a small advantage, but also easy to give up if spending less is the goal. Leave that stuff to the people that must have the absolute best of everything.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Most authors, actual book authors, have an editor that proofreads their text.

And some pretty awful junk still reaches the shelves.
  • Options
    luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That makes sense. Watched the 'Donation Livestream' throughtout it's duration. Had noticed that STO emote anims are exactly the same as NW. So it's just recycled content.

They also use emotes from Champions Online. And iam pretty sure, ive heard parts of music from CO in NWO as well. One particular theme sounds very much like the opening theme of CO.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Storytelling is hard.

True, but you could also make a Call-of-Dury-like Foundry where you do not need much words but it could be still fun. This is an Action-RPG after all. Sadly, the editor does not allow that kind of stuff. You just run through and kill dozens of preplaced mobs while nothing interesting happens. Boring.

I tried the foundry myself in the open beta till i did quit for the first time. It was so limited at that time, it was actually frustrating how i could not do what i wanted to do.

Edit: Oops, doublepost. Sorry.
    kvet wrote: »
    Just to point out - Cryptic created the Foundry long before Neverwinter came out. Star Trek Online has had this for a long time, it *may* have been the Foundry in STO has it genesis in ultra-early NW dev work, but if so, it was well before Cryptic even announced it was working on Neverwinter at all. Not saying it shouldn't be in Neverwinter (the opposite is true of course) just saying it wasn't created as part of Neverwinter, and it's inclusion in Neverwinter was probably never even a question. That is to say, I doubt it was included specifically as a strategic move to capture NWN players, that was probably a good side affect (or at least and "hey, also by creating a NW version of the STO foundry system, we'll get better penetration into the NWN player market! Sweet!")

NWO was meant to be a single player prequel to the NWN-Series. I doubt they did not plan an editor.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    im more like in the middle... i dont necessarily want the best of everything but when i make my chracters i usually have an idea for how i want them to be overall( theme wise, for example, this TR will be a dark kind of shadow assassin, this Scourge Warlock will be a necromancer fond of dragons, sort of a dragonkin.) so for those characters i would want a whole setup that fits the theme ive set for them like a demon/undead mount for the shadow assassin, some kind of dark or draconic mount for the warlock, and companions to fit them as well. along with fashions, dyes and artifacts that fit the overall themes... ive seen a lock of what i like in lockboxes so thats really why my main complaint is about them... they arent worth a dollar unless you win which i dont think people win often. if i was better at farming AD like some other MMO regulars i probably wouldnt be as upset.... i honestly dont even care as much about getting all the best gear or having a really high GS... i just want to be able to create my characters with their themes. if i can do that for $10 or under id be happy and id spend a lot more money because id have several characters with different themes that i would play regularly
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    True, but you could also make a Call-of-Dury-like Foundry where you do not need much words but it could be still fun. This is an Action-RPG after all.

If I want to beat up mobs for idle entertainment I head to IWD, since that actually nets rewards of some value and at my current gear level provides a degree of challenge. Hack-and-slash Foundry seems rather... pointless even in principle.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    If I want to beat up mobs for idle entertainment I head to IWD, since that actually nets rewards of some value and at my current gear level provides a degree of challenge. Hack-and-slash Foundry seems rather... pointless even in principle.

Not with the right tools. In its current state, yes, everything you can do is a purely textbased adventure. But you do not need to be a genius to realize, that 99% of the output would be boring as hell because of it. Most people aren't writers after all.

Did you try out the NWN1 and 2 editors? You could easily make great quests there withhout using a single dialogue.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Not with the right tools. In its current state, yes, everything you can do is a purely textbased adventure. But you do not need to be a genius to realize, that 99% of the output would be boring as hell because of it. Most people aren't writers after all.

Did you try out the NWN1 and 2 editors? You could easily make great quests there withhout using a single dialogue.

I have quite a few modules and whatnots DL'd for my copy of NWN2. Not a single one of them is a straight hack-and-slash job.
    Look, the point is that going to the Foundry to beat mobs up is a waste of time and redundant; you can do as much of that as you'll ever want in the official content already. If there's anything good about the thing it's specifically the potential to do something at least marginally different.

The issue, as with all "user created" content, is shifting the wheat from the mountains of chaff.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Look, the point is that going to the Foundry to beat mobs up is a waste of time and redundant;

Of course it is, i have never said anything else. But this is the foundrys - or more the developers - fault. If they had added a REAL editor and not this excuse of one, we wouldve seen foundrys people actually want to play because they are awesome and not because of rewards.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You can make perfectly decent Foundries as is, I've played a few; that's not the issue. The main point is that irrespective of the toolset most of the output will be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because it's made by clueless amateurs who learned narration from four-color comic books and TV series.