test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is this game so expensive?

13»

Comments

• k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you can't tell a halfway decent story you have no business even touching the Foundry toolset in the first place, far as I'm concerned. Teh Intarnetz is full of bad fanfics as is. And lack of language skills is the person's private problem; case in point, I'm *not* a native English speaker.
  • luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    k3ll0 wrote: »
    If you can't tell a halfway decent story you have no business even touching the Foundry toolset in the first place, far as I'm concerned. Teh Intarnetz is full of bad fanfics as is. And lack of language skills is the person's private problem; case in point, I'm *not* a native English speaker.

For some reason i feel like you do not get my point.

You can have both. A great story and great gameplay.

Your basically arguing like people argue, that want to defend an H&S because it gets criticised for its poor Story. An H&S also does not need a good story to work, but a good story is still possible and would be a plus. It is similar with the foundry. You do not need good gameplay for an interesting story but good gameplay is not bad for it either, it is a plus.
    edited November 2014
    No, I just don't much like mindless H&S. Not unless it reaches Shadow Warrior/Duke Nukem levels of over-the-top.
    edited November 2014
    No, I just don't much like mindless H&S. Not unless it reaches Shadow Warrior/Duke Nukem levels of over-the-top.

Iam not exactly talking about mindless H&S. I suppose, my CoD-analogy was not very good.
    Just imagine a really large bossfight with several phases and changing locations. This does not need to be "H&S". You could build small puzzles in, for example. Heck, you could build a foundry that consists of a single giant bossfight.

Also the foundry needs ways to help telling storys which do not get exclusively controlled by the player. Just easy things, like automatic teleport to another map and triggers, which do not get only triggered by the player. At the moment things only react to the player never needs to react to things that happen around him. Because they only happen, if he wants it.
    edited November 2014
    Blegh, puzzle-boss shenanigans. Gratuitous gimmickry on what should really be pretty straightforward business. I understand why MMO raids and such use the concept but it rarely if ever makes much sense, narratively and otherwise.

If I wanted that junk I'd go play an actual shooter.
    edited November 2014
    Well, i suppose our opinion on what makes a good story differs. I do not only need a good story, i do also need a good implementation of that story in the medium that is used.
    I just think, it is incredible boring to run around and interact with everything that "glows" if it gives nothing interesting.

I did play Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall a while ago and i fell in love with this game. They also had a lot of text and stuff that could be examined. But there was actually a point in examining and reading everything: If gave you clues about how to solve problems or alternative ways to solve them. In NWO-foundrys they do not. They are just flavor text. In the core, every single foundry is just a boring straight forward H&S.
    Also said Shadowrun games had some better "narration-instruments". And Dragonfall had one of the most memorable bossfights in my life. Inclusive some sort of "puzzle".

Btw, i recommend everyone who likes great storys to go and play Dragonfall. It is fantastic if you like a somewhat classical RPG-attempt with a lot of very well written text and a fantastic story. The developers need to be supported for creating such a gem.
  • drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    If you can be patient, anything in the Zen store can be had for free - yes, some items are priced outside of what people are willing to pay, but none of them are required to actually play the game. Sure, if you want to "keep up with the Jones" you'll need to fork over some cash, but if you approach things from a more laid back perspective, you can gain plenty of enjoyment without stressing yourself out.

So tell me how do we get ...say , enchanted keys for free by being patient?
    edited November 2014
    drezzat wrote: »
    So tell me how do we get ...say , enchanted keys for free by being patient?

Hoard AD -> exchange for Zen -> buy
    ...in principle, at least. Dunno what the Zen supply is like nowadays.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Most authors, actual book authors, have an editor that proofreads their text. Most Foundry authors create as a solo venture and may require reviews/emails to bring those errors to their attention. Most Foundry authors are not English majors, for some, English is a second or third language. I was a film major in college, not an English major, the Foundry is another opportunity to create. That being said, many of the Foundry quests are designed for quick leveling or enchantment/refinement farming.

Yes, thank you. I have proof read, and been proof read*; though obviously I cherish the explanation, along with a discussion of your "major".

It's not necessary to be an "English major" in order to at least maintain basic readability- spelling most of the words approximately correctly, handling tenses, and not mixing up "your"/"you're", "there/they're/their", "to/too" most of the time. If it comes to it, managing not to use an apostrophe on every single plural. This enhances intelligibility significantly- making text easier to read.

Sloppy writing shifts the burden of untangling it onto the reader, it's that simple. If text is painfully awkward to read without good reason, the author has failed. If you're going out of your way to foist your writing on someone else, it would be basic courtesy to check that it's not broken on a basic level.

It's not even a question of native tongue- the most sloppy and badly-written foundries that I have ever seen have come from native English speakers. It's a cliche, but often people speaking English as an Nth language put a little more effort into not mangling it, if anything. I dread people asking me to try their foundries. It's really hard to be positive and upbeat about a foundry when it reads like it was written by an eight year-old.

Given the paucity of the toolset, the writing in a foundry needs to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Many authors seem to devote most time to polishing the environment, leaving the text as an afterthought. Unless we slip into a spooky parallel universe where the foundry tools aren't poor and neglected, this is a very poor approach. There's only so much that you can express with a group of five idle stock zombies and some torches.

I understand that for some people, enthusiasm exceeds ability, and that they're learning as they go along. However, it may be the case that if all they read is Facebook and some truly awful fantasy potboilers, a potential foundry "author" lacks the basic mental toolset for authorship. Sadly, the skills and context to recognise what acceptably competent writing looks like are very similar to the skills needed to actually write properly. Buttock-clenchingly dreadful writers don't know that they're bad, and sail on with blithe disregard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Sadly, Sturgeon's Law is as true as it ever was. Self-publishing without curation and quality control is proving to be a distinctly mixed blessing in the wider world, too.

* Though to see the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that I post here, you'd be hard-pressed to believe it.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Some feedback here.

I do not do raids or other form of group play in Neverwinter (at least not yet).

Without AD, you cannot do much in Neverwinter and the main source of AD are dungeon raids, Dailies and other routine tasks.
    The Zen-exchange is completely overburdened with Zen, because AD is much more important.

Current exchange rate is 500-494 (what is displayed) and there are 200-300k Zen in the market for each price down to 1 AD difference each. What I could see about 1mio Zen between 500-494.

Just to compare:
    500AD:1Zen gives you ~450k AD for $10 of Zen

And the fun fact, once you added Zen to the exchange you cannot take it out. So you just wait for some player to have pity with you and buys your Zen for a much lower price. ;)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ...in principle, at least. Dunno what the Zen supply is like nowadays.

The backlog is under 200K, so it'll take about 6-12 hours to get your order fulfilled, (less if you put your offer in during prime time). As to the person who asked the question:

1. Make sure to invoke on all your characters, (at least once a day, 3 times a day if possible).

2. Run leadership tasks the grant ADs.

3. If you have a lot of free time, get every quest you can from Rhix and Lord Neverember in PE, and run them all - they give ADs.

4. Run dungeons whenever able, (during the dungeon delve event or using the free daily key). You can salvage or auction the epic items you get, but make sure to check an item's salvage value in case it isn't worth as much on the AH. Of course, you want to make certain you are well geared as well, so you can meaningfully get through the associated content efficiently.

5. Run the Dread Ring and Sharandar lairs, as they can drop epic items as well - these are bound to you, but can still be salvage if you already have better gear.

6. From the dungeons you've run, you'll also earn unicorn or drake seals. Use those to buy rings and salvage them - again, equip stuff that is better than what you currently have.

7. Don't overlook blue items that may drop while you're playing, either - some main hand weapons, rings, or other pieces can sell for a couple hundred ADs each.

8. It is a bit more involved, but you can buy potions or the regular companions with gold, then sell them on the AH for some ADs. Some IWD fashion pieces also sell for a decent amount.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited November 2014

AD and thus Zen-Items aren't free. You have to do stuff for it.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    When people talk about "free" it tends to be in the meaning of "not requiring money payments" unless otherwise specified. No asinine philosophical nitpickery plox.

And it is free, just put some of your precious AD into the exchange for Zen...
  • rebelcurserebelcurse Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    -sigh- i hate the Lock boxes.... i can't kill more than 5 enemies without one of them dropping on..... i save up a bunch and then put them on the AH, not like i need them for anything right now.

>.> what gets me most is the Charge Rewards....i'll be honest i haven't tried for any of the Rewards yet.... that's only because items like the Companions which are nice and unique are bound to only ONE character. so if later you ever decide you want to reroll it as a different class and/or race (though i don't think race will have an effect on it) basically if you decide to put your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in shared storage or mail it to your self, then delete that character. Give your self a pat on the back because you just threw away a companion you're most likely NEVER GOING TO GET AGAIN.... why can't they make the companions available to all the characters of that account, but make them Bind on Pickup so people can't just make a character then send their new lovely Companion to another character only to sell it on the AH... Bind on Pickup will give them what they want... a unique companion for those that earned it in through the Charge Rewards, but not let them take advantage of it by putting it on the AH for an outrageous price.

<.< okay i spewed my two cents... typos and all.... final word: Account Bound it your friend, Developers......

btw i heard back in the day items on the AH started off at like 2mil AD and went up... that true?
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    The is expensive because the developers slowly made PVE rewards insignificant and transitioned new powercreep to refinement (which you primarily get from the auction house and the zen store).
  • ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The game isnt expensive since you can always use exchange ad/zen and cover the difference.Just be patient and farm a little longer.And you cant complain when they give us so many boe free things with events etc that you can sell them if you want.And with leadership,dailies,salvage you can make more ad than you need.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    ckotoc666 wrote: »
    The game isnt expensive since you can always use exchange ad/zen and cover the difference.Just be patient and farm a little longer.

Well the problem is, they've slowly designed PVE to be worthless to farm. RP is getting more and more expensive, meanwhile, old Castle Never profit is all gone and now we get 10k rough ad from diamonds down from weapons that used to sell for over a million AD.
  • rebelcurserebelcurse Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ckotoc666 wrote: »
    The game isnt expensive since you can always use exchange ad/zen and cover the difference.Just be patient and farm a little longer.And you cant complain when they give us so many boe free things with events etc that you can sell them if you want.And with leadership,dailies,salvage you can make more ad than you need.

correct the game isn't expensive, unless you're poor...jk

and yeah you can make a good amount of AD through the dailies... but the problem is that transfer from ad to zen, or zen to ad (yeah i put it there) first off it takes... about 1mil ad to get you 100 zen, in this current market (which is currently 1zen = about 500ad) so to get that much you have to work your backside off and keep an eye on your Leadership (make sure that skill is always pumping out ad for you) in order to make that much. so you have to farm a little more than a little... but i understand what you mean and all
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rebelcurse wrote: »
    correct the game isn't expensive, unless you're poor...jk

and yeah you can make a good amount of AD through the dailies... but the problem is that transfer from ad to zen, or zen to ad (yeah i put it there) first off it takes... about 1mil ad to get you 100 zen, in this current market (which is currently 1zen = about 500ad) so to get that much you have to work your backside off and keep an eye on your Leadership (make sure that skill is always pumping out ad for you) in order to make that much. so you have to farm a little more than a little... but i understand what you mean and all

Hyperbole much? 1 million AD is worth about 2000 zen. You're only off by a factor of 20 there, chief.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • beltharrbeltharr Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I agree. I have spent quite a bit of money to buy zen so I can get the keys to the boxes. After opening 40 boxes, the rewards fall woefully short for the cash I had to spend. I really didn't benefit much from the contents.
  • beltharrbeltharr Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Agreed! What you get for your investment is disappointing. :mad: