test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

did that guy say anything interesting on ama reddit?

2»

Comments

• ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Hmm i used to be a long time player, since beta times, but i stopped playing because of the long queue times and the no real reason to keep playing since i had all the best gear. -* My question is, is there anytime soon a big expansion like WoW does? (Level up, new weapons and dungeons...)

[–]PWE_Community 2 points 13 hours ago

Rise of Tiamat will have the most epic boss fight that the game has ever had, along with new gear etc. If you are looking specifically for a new level cap - it won't be for this module release. However, we do have plans to increase the level cap in the future.

source:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/2kphsw/hi_reddit_my_name_is_ryan_and_i_am_the_product/
  • luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    I don't think so. There is a huge playerbase that constantly requests and asks when more levels are going to be added. They are usually a large group (most? of the playerbase) that are min-maxers and "race to the top" players -- "first to level 70!" They typically never realize there ARE levels higher than 60 they're just not "numbered." They're called 60th T1 gear, 60th T2 gear; 60th T3 gear; 60th BiS gear; etc. Also instead of grinding the RNG, the playerbase would actually gain experience toward levels and the grind would be diminished in their minds.

Well, i just do not understand the point of even more levels. But the be honest, i do not even understand the point of levels in any MMO like Neverwinter. They are completely pointless in consideration how they do not affect the "real" game at maximum level in any way. They are just a waste of time since the whole levelphase is not even really fun to play.

Also i really dislike the idea of making everything i achieved in game useless. Even more so, if i have spend actual money on it.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Can you imagine all the heads that will explode when all their BiS level 60 artifact gear gets eclipsed by new level 70 BiS artifact gear.

Actually, I'd just expect the cap to get raised on the artifact gear as well. Keep your stuff, but it wants a few zillion more peridots, enjoy!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited October 2014
    If pvp is the real endgame goal then i have to say thats just sad and not that interesting.

Endgame should be foundry made, this was the main selling point. Pvp or pve it should be all about the foundry...
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually, I'd just expect the cap to get raised on the artifact gear as well. Keep your stuff, but it wants a few zillion more peridots, enjoy!

I am on the verge of going crazy from refining as is (takes up too much game time). I think i would leave if i have to do it all again.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I am on the verge of going crazy from refining as is (takes up too much game time). I think i would leave if i have to do it all again.

You are not alone. I'm finding it harder to be motivated to put up with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from the game (or some other players), as it increasingly feels like the payoff isn't going to be worth it.

Also, I find the "nice things are not short-term profitable, so you can't have them" vibe somewhat depressing. If longer-term retention of paying players really matters (as claimed), then nice things would seem to be a necessity.. or at least some bug fixing.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OK - He did NOT say that the 'real endgame is PvP'. Just wishful thinking by a few PvP players there. What he said was that PvP offered difficulty/challenge with no upper limit. Hard to disagree with that. He did, however, confirm that PvP is played by a minority of players on Dragon. Which makes it even more annoying when PvE is screwed over because of PvP QQ.

On the Foundry, he said that it has always been difficult to quantify the ROI so although they rate it internally it simply doesn't get additional resource allocated. My guess would be that a bean-counter somewhere is responsible for that decision.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • gcut123gcut123 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Was anyone really doubting?

PVP IS the REAL end-game.

There is nothing more challenging than fighting another player, instead of brainless NPC's.
  • gcut123gcut123 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Yet most people who play NW don't bother with what they call the end-game. Seems they still don't get that besides the could-be awesome PvP, most people come to the game for a PvE experience. I suppose they should run the numbers again and find out what the majority of the players are doing after they hit 60. I'll give them a hint: it's not PvP.

a 2-mapped PVP is still more challenging than endless dungeon releases.

Think about it.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2014

That'd be great!

But what will they call this new rarity? Surely something as well thought-out and derived from decades of built up D&D lore as the rest of the game.

....So, probably Super Legendary.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gcut123 wrote: »

There is nothing more challenging than fighting another player, instead of brainless NPC's.

if PvP is really the endgame its a pathetic one at that. still same 2 maps ? are u kidding me, give the awesome foundry guys the tools and well have the best PvP maps in any mmo(how many ppl played custom maps on warcaft/cs etc. ? ). and fix your **** engine so it doesnt choke every time there are more than a few ppl on the screen so we can get at least 20v20(real not the horse race) if not full on 100v100

increased lvl cap would be nice, at least smth to work on and a reason to finally throw out last years gear and finally do dungeons to get gear not to have 0.00000000000001% chance of an artifact, book or some useless stuff u will just salvage

as long as we can get decent return in RP value(not the stuff we get now from artifact gear) from artifacts it doesnt matter if we need to get new ones, add 500k~1mil AD sink item to bazaar to get full value of RP for all i care(its a lot, but we need more ad sinks)

or even better - remove leadership and most ad sinks with it, would work much better with new players farming RAD with daily quests and old players selling dungeon drops to them
    Paladin Master Race
    edited October 2014
    HE DID NOT SAY THAT THE END GAME WAS PVP.

Geez. :rolleyes:
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And why does there have to be one and only one definition of "END GAME" anyway?

For me the end game is getting my gear up to legendary status (getting close on 1 artifact!), and exploring different classes and new builds while running dungeons and helping friends gear up and obtaining new gear for myself as well. There's no way that I will ever be drawn into PVP as some sort of definitive "END GAME".
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HE DID NOT SAY THAT THE END GAME WAS PVP.

Geez. :rolleyes:
    He said:
    The difficulty end-game without a cap comes from PvP...
    Which implies PvP is an end-game (otherwise how could an end-game come from PvP?) We say the word "an" instead of "the" because he also said after finishing that sentence:
    ...As for PvE though, hopefully the Tiamat fight provides you with the challenge that you are looking for.

Which doesn't say Tiamat is "end-game". In fact he only used the word end-game in a sentence addressing PvP, and put Tiamat PvE in the same response.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    In regard to all the posts conveying that he said PvP was "the" (as in the only) end-game for Neverwinter: "Comes from" does not mean "is." No where did he say or even imply that PvP is "Neverwinter's End-Game." He even clearly stated that PvP is not played by the majority of players on Dragon but he did say that it is very popular on the Russian server. It is clear that Neverwinter's End-Game is both PvE and PvP and to suggest otherwise is a misleading opinion.
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    In regard to all the posts conveying that he said PvP was "the" (as in the only) end-game for Neverwinter: "Comes from" does not mean "is." No where did he say or even imply that PvP is "Neverwinter's End-Game." He even clearly stated that PvP is not played by the majority of players on Dragon but he did say that it is very popular on the Russian server. It is clear that Neverwinter's End-Game is both PvE and PvP and to suggest otherwise is a misleading opinion.

He implies there exist an end-game (otherwise how could it come from something), he says the end game comes from pvp, but now you say it might not be PvP because he didn't say it was. Fair enough!

It is like a riddle!

"What exist, comes from PvP, is not PvP, and is an end-game," says the sphinx.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zoiks100 wrote: »
    That'd be great!

But what will they call this new rarity? Surely something as well thought-out and derived from decades of built up D&D lore as the rest of the game.

....So, probably Super Legendary.

Paragon Items or whatever. I'm sure they could come up with something. I don't know if they would really want to though. One of the big things about level cap increases is everyone getting new gear. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to make the older artifacts obsolete.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    He implies there exist an end-game (otherwise how could it come from something), he says the end game comes from pvp, but now you say it might not be PvP because he didn't say it was. Fair enough!

It is like a riddle!

"What exist, comes from PvP, is not PvP, and is an end-game," says the sphinx.
    I was addressing the misleading comments that falsely imply that he was saying PvP Gameplay is the only end-game mechanic in Neverwinter. I just find it ridiculous that he mentions one mechanic as being driven from one other mechanic and that somehow equates to some that the entire End-Game is PvP.
    edited October 2014
    ofc he never said that pvp is the only endgame, but since is part of the game, it is a component of the endgame as well. Ofc the majority of players are pve now, cause the vast majority of pvp players from dragon left!!! This is the main problem of the interview.

Lets see, we want foundry to be a big thing but we cant make money from it:
    1. First thing is to have foundry working, find solutions to avoid exploits and add rewards to it (make a foundry campaign if you want).
    2. Integrate pvp with it.
    3. Add cosmetics for money, not only fashion, but armors/weapon skins as well. Atm the variety of items is way to small to have a clear view. I couldnt make myself grind the last ToD book, but i did grind the pvp campaign and only to get a fashion...
    4. I do agree to keep main content pretty easy (i did like the lvl of difficulty of VT/MC, but i guess that was too much for most), but i dont see why foundry should be the same...
    5. Stop making silly enchants that make from foundry only a farming place, replace the refining system with the xp overflow and you;ll stop bots while give players a reason to actually play foundry even more...

As a general note:
    Please start fixing bugs and clean up things like armor/weapon enchants, those kind of things do make you look rly bad, imo having a clean game will add more money to your pocket than any new module.

Again, you want to see results even before creating the proper environment to have results. That will never work, it just cant!!! Community already pinpointed all the problems and offered solutions, or at least starting points for future solutions...
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gcut123 wrote: »

but there might be nothing less challenging for a 20k scrub than fighting a fresh level 60 in his birthday suit. Which is more often the case. Might be for a lot of l337 PvP'ers more fun than a brainless NPC.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Interesting interpretation there.

This is what he wrote about PvP

Unless I'm missing another quote, that's a pretty far cry from what you're suggesting.

Also, as far as the level cap goes, we're in Paragon Tier right now at Level 60. Neverwinter took the original 30 levels of play from 4E and broke them up into 30 levels each. 1-30 is Heroic, 31-60 is Paragon...and 61-90 will be Epic tier.

My guess the big surprise for Module 6 is a small increase in the level cap, maybe 5-10 levels, and the start of your "Epic Destiny".

Yes, you are, this is the quote:
    The difficulty end-game without a cap comes from PvP, because there is always someone out there that can probably kill you. As for PvE though, hopefully the Tiamat fight provides you with the challenge that you are looking for.
    edited October 2014
    Yes, you are, this is the quote:
    Oh for the love of whatever you hold holy...

He was responding specifically to a query about endgame difficulty. What he said there is that if you want endgame difficulty without a cap then it comes from PvP. PvE endgame difficulty will always be balanced - or capped, if you will - to make it accessible to a wide range of players.

That's it. Anyone claiming otherwise is either misinterpreting his remarks or wilfully misrepresenting them.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited October 2014
    I notice you all neatly gloss over the comments about PvP being a minority activity on Dragon though. I wonder why...

I actually doubt the PvP-activity is so low because no one cares about it. I think, quite a lot of people would like to play PvP but can't, since the pvp in this game is just bad. I doubt there are a lot of people who like it to get twoshotet all the time.
    edited October 2014
    luxark wrote: »
    I actually doubt the PvP-activity is so low because no one cares about it. I think, quite a lot of people would like to play PvP but can't, since the pvp in this game is just bad. I doubt there are a lot of people who like it to get twoshotet all the time.

That is just wishful thinking on your part.

Sure there might be some people who like the idea of PVP and would play PVP here if it wasn't for the technical issues associated with PVP (matchmaking, etc.)

But I think the large majority of people who refuse to PVP has nothing to do with the matchmaking, and has everything to do with the PVP COMMUNITY being, largely, a bunch of exploiting trash-talking jerks.

Even if matchmaking were perfect, the PVPers participating would still be acting like jerks.
    edited October 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    But I think the large majority of people who refuse to PVP has nothing to do with the matchmaking, and has everything to do with the PVP COMMUNITY being, largely, a bunch of exploiting trash-talking jerks.

If i look at pure PvP-games like Dota, i find probaly the worst communitys in the internet. And yet, they have millions of players. Why? Because the pvp-parts are actually fun. Neverwinter's pvp-part is not. So - of course - a lot of people do not want to play it.

Or look at GW2. It got two completely different PvP-Modi. Yet, one gets played by a lot of people, the other one is basically death. And why is this? Because one of them is just boring. You can just ignore jerks after all.

Cryptic NEEDS to work on making the pvp-part fun. For everyone, not only for people, who have everything already. Even those get frustrated, if they do not get fresh victims.
    edited October 2014
    I do ignore jerks. That's why I don't PVP.

Edit: I will say that the most fun I did have in PVP was with a character that was like on page 800 or so on the leaderboard. Those matches are mainly balanced, and the d-bag factor is significantly reduced because no one there is a high-end PVPer wanting just to stomp n00bs. It's the gear inflation, and the huge egos, along with the lack of sportsmanlike conduct among the "elite PVPers" that ruin the PVP reputation for everyone.

If the PVP guilds would actually kick out their exploiters, and not attempt to utterly humiliate their opponents when they are placed in a match where they will clearly win, that would go a long way to improving the PVP reputation here.

But when I see known exploiters running around in the game, who are actual PVP GUILD LEADERS, and who don't mind running up the score by griefing undergeared/underexperienced players when they have already clearly won the match, then why should I continue playing? So that I can play against MORE d-bags like that?