test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you find refining fun?

fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Do you think the refinement system is fun?
Post edited by fantasycharacter on

Comments

• arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tedious does not quite describe the joyless event that is refining.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes! I find it to be quite fun and interesting.
  • mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Only 5 empty refine slots at a time does my head in for hours a day. Why not up that 5 to 100 XD
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As fun as getting a vasectomy.
  • thenakedbananathenakedbanana Member Posts: 86
    edited October 2014
    About as fun as 3 herniated disc's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication
    or other information which may be considered objectionable.
    A Tool used by those with power to stay in power.
    I object to your objection
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The refinement system is not fun, but I do not believe that is its intended purpose. I see the refinement system as both a time and item/money sink, (through the purchase, trade, or sale of refinement items).

Personally, I interact with the refinement system on a very limited basis - since enchants don't stack once refined, I basically sit on those that drop in the gameworld, and only refine when I actually need an enchant.

Most of my characters have 1 purple artifact, (from the Dragonborn pack), and the rest are blue or green. I haven't even gotten far enough into the ToD campaign on any characters to get the Dragonhorde enchants, due to my finding the grind too un-fun to pursue, (and this is even in comparison to Sharandar).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is easily fixed with a drag and drop interface. Allow people to take a stack of 99 enchantments, drag them from their inventory, and drop them into a refining window. Click "refine" and viola! The incredibly obnoxious "5 at a time" refining system should be scrapped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I didn't vote.

The goal of a Refining system shouldn't be "have fun", but it shouldn't have to be tedious and punishing as the current system.

So "Do you think the refinement system is fun/could use change?"

A: No, and it doesn't have to be fun, but the system could use some change.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    The refining system is not fun and I would bet anything that the devs knew it wasn't when they designed it. No matter how many times people request the ability to put stacks of enchants into the refinement window the answer will continue to be no. It is designed not to be instant gratification.

And the cold hard truth of the matter is that unless you buy a ton of enchantments to mass refine it's a non issue. The inventory space and the constant stops to refine in order to maintain inventory space is far more of an issue to the average player who do not regularly have stacks of enchantments.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didn't vote.

The goal of a Refining system shouldn't be "have fun", but it shouldn't have to be tedious and punishing as the current system.

Agreed. Though games are generally regarded as being something that is fun, and this is part of a game.

if not fun, at the very least it should be a neutral experience, but never "painful" to do.
  • luxarkluxark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And the cold hard truth of the matter is that unless you buy a ton of enchantments to mass refine it's a non issue. The inventory space and the constant stops to refine in order to maintain inventory space is far more of an issue to the average player who do not regularly have stacks of enchantments.

I do not agree with you on this. Iam a somewhat new player and got my very first artifact-weapon yesterday and iam already extremly annoyed by that refining system.
    Why can i not just drag and drop the stuff on the item or something like this? >.>
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Q: Refinement system

A: Carpal Tunnel lawsuit

Corrilary - MY INDEX FINGER IS SORE FOR DAYS!

I don't mind refining, but i want to do it by the stack. If they did that, it would be fine. This is just i think... well... they are trying to sell us high RP items with zen, so they make doing it with low RP items so you will get impatient and spend zen, imo.
  • tigillotigillo Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2014
    No, and the system could use some change.

Why? This sytem is sick.

Milions of ref point we need make a legendary. How long we must play to do this? Weeks, months, years?

If we play normaly - some daily quest, some dungon, make a leg anythink is insane and cant be done.

Farming is only way to help us, but? Not for sure. Who have time to this? No each player is no live.

For me refinig system is end made a purple weapon, belt, arti. Better is insane - not for all.

Hoards can help but? or now i have 8% and what? This is to small if we play normally, not farming.

I want have leg somethink but not if i must play months and focus only this, this is total insane.

But soon we dont have alternative. All will be arti gear !!!! and all need refinig. This will be on for me in this game.

Some change we need !!! We i mean normal players, not farmers.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    It's fine as it provides a convenient garbage bin for our inventory.

What's not fine now, is a much longer list. Among others:

Lack of a "spend all your enchants" feature is a direct threat at your IRL health (hand, fingers, wrist will suffer)
    All the junk items should be usable as RP-food. Lockboxes, typically.
    There should not be all those Zen-market, IRL-money things in the process. Refining should just be a matter of refining food.
    English is not my first language.
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've played since open beta (with a 3 month break), and I still do not have any enchantment over rank 7. I only have 2 purple artifacts.
    Unless you plan on spending 50 bucks a week on this game, forget refining.

Honestly, the bottleneck for me is the Mark of Potency. 25k AD is insane.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    Q: Refinement system

A: Carpal Tunnel lawsuit
    This isn't a job where you have some malpractice going on. You're choosing to do this with no real world repercussions if one chooses not to. That's not to say that I enjoy the system but crying foul by claiming legalities in this case is just way off base.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didnt even vote yet. Id say no, its not fun; but I really dont think the actual process of refining is meant to be fun. The results of getting a new shiny after refining is fun even if the process is brain numbing.

What Chemboy said and Zeb got me thinking.

Remember the lady who bought the coffee at Mcdonalds then it spilled on her and she sued, and the court decided to award her millions (though I think she settled out of court, undisclosed).

The courts awarded her millions because McDonalds was purposely making their coffee too hot so people in the morning would be less likely to come back for a refill. (people didnt know this prior, or it was later revealed through the investigation)

Just random thoughts, guess Ill vote now.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Asking such a question to begin with is pure madness....
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    This isn't a job where you have some malpractice going on. You're choosing to do this with no real world repercussions if one chooses not to. That's not to say that I enjoy the system but crying foul by claiming legalities in this case is just way off base.

Lol, zeb, I know this! I'm a lawyer actually and I know i can't sue for it XD XD XD

I was making a joke, my friend!
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Those of us who don't like refining (everybody) are going to hate it more and more as time goes on. It's become clear that cryptic green-lit the artifact gear thing, and eventually, all BIS gear will require RP in addition to it's initial cost.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until every dam slot on your character requires millions of it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't like crafting, refining, visiting or training. I want to fight monsters with cool powers and beat the crud out of them, not watch movies or worry about collecting...even the professions so far don't seem to be much but an idle activity and thus a waste of playing time. It's hard enough to figure power builds out.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • jerrockojerrocko Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Before the new refining system was introduced, the devs said it would free up more inventory space. Till today my inventory is still packed with rank 3s and rank 4s to feed to the rank 8s. Think about it you have Radiant, Dark, Silvery and Azure enchanments. Plus runestones such as Eldritch, Empowered, Arcane, Profane and Training. 9 times 2(ranks 3s and rank 4s) that is 18 worth of inventory space to hold all those enchanments and runestones. So yeah the refining system is still <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Didn't think it would allow "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>". I used crud.
    Jerrocko,
    Leader of the Packs
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I voted yes, and could use some change.

In general the system is good., BUT change that needs to happen:

1) mass dump in of enchants into refinement points. whole stacks of 99, etc rather thatn click refine 5 things all day long.

2) silly point inflation at top end.
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In theory I like the refining system, but the massive amounts of RP needed to reach top level is ridicilus, on average I play maybe 2 hours a day, on the good days I might pick up 10k worth of refining points in that time, and yeah thats 600 days worth of playtime to get 1(!!!)legendary artifact equipment, in a few months we will have acces to 5 items and 3 artifacts, not sure how many days it would take me to reach max level in all of them, but probably a lot more than I am villing to play this game fore .... Luckily we have the massive botting atm, which means that the price of refining items are crashing pretty hard atm, but I am dreading the day that the devs decide to do something active against these guys...
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    no its not fun, but I do not have millions or 100k's of AD lieing around to be used for this yet.

It is working as intended, it was not intended to be used by people who buy stacks of enchants. If it gets to boring do something else, buy higher value refinement things other then stacks like a diamond.

The average player does not buy stacks to refine daily and often enough for the devs to work on "how to make this fun" because let's me honest. Would this ever be fun, even if you could instantly go from green to legendary by putting in a few stacks - no.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure I am not the only one who has woken up at the keyboard logged out from the game because they were refining.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    To be fair the question is stupid.
    They sell high value RP in the zen store for a ludicrous amount of money....who is gonna buy them if you can refine whole stacks?

To make examples: low value stones ad/rp ratio is 0.8, zen ones over 7....
    Money the answer is always money to every question of the life.
  • tigillotigillo Member Posts: 44
    edited October 2014
    No, and the system could use some change.

We use Hoards enchantsment - and results are not good. Too many <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> drops: perls, peridots.

I sugest: in now can make 15% to chance drop: armor, gloves, shoes, arti belt and necklace = 3x5%. What i sugest? If we up our % chance drop, not only up % chance but add "chance to get a better drop".

To have 15% is very expensive (5x1,5kk=7,5kk ad - this a lot) than if we decide do this - result shoud be better than only pearls and peridots but much more a sapphires, opals.

Sry for my bad english. But idea is simple = more % with hoards more chances to get a better drops: sapphires, opals.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The refining system is not fun and I would bet anything that the devs knew it wasn't when they designed it. No matter how many times people request the ability to put stacks of enchants into the refinement window the answer will continue to be no. It is designed not to be instant gratification.

No matter how many times people say that, it will not make it true. I have *never* bought stacks of stuff to use in refinement and it is still an issue to me. Leadership gets me my own stacks of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to refine. That and dragon hoard enchants. And this double refinement event is getting me quite a few stacks as well. This isn't just an issue for people who buy stacks of enchants.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Kind of hoping this catches the eye of a sympathetic dev:D