test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dragon Potions

tousseautousseau Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,397 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So... the new dragon potions we can get with dragon coins... We can now faceroll them even faster now...

Has anyone tried these yet? Did they make an appreciable difference?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    So... the new dragon potions we can get with dragon coins... We can now faceroll them even faster now...

Has anyone tried these yet? Did they make an appreciable difference?

So, you'd rather have nothing to spend them on at all? I for one appareciate that they actually listened to players for once. this latest patch was quite good imo, we need more like it.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sure I use them as there is literally nothing else to do with the several thousand hoard coins i have piled up.
  • Options
    cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pro - Really nice to have a way to expend those Dragon Coins sitting in my inventory gathering dust all day...

Con - Being a DC (main), we actually like dragon fights to last longer and for him to do more damage to players (sorry folks, it's true, as selfish as it sounds) to stand a chance at getting Great Success out of these HEs, guess it's going to get harder for DCs going forward...
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pro - Really nice to have a way to expend those Dragon Coins sitting in my inventory gathering dust all day...

Con - Being a DC (main), we actually like dragon fights to last longer and for him to do more damage to players (sorry folks, it's true, as selfish as it sounds) to stand a chance at getting Great Success out of these HEs, guess it's going to get harder for DCs going forward...

I've actually been able to get great success a number of times lately as a dps and ignoring healing done. Of course the fight does have to last a couple minutes min for me to do that, but I'm just saying it can be done as a dps dc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And hey it only took them a month to just increase the stack limit.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I'm pretty sure it is pure RNG so don't worry about it much. Today's example on a fairly routing dragon gang-bang in Ebon got a bone bow then in Icespire got the headress. Soloed a Gragon in Rothe: nothing, 2-manned with a CW till 50% in Whispering, nothing. I'm fairly convinced your performance in a dragon fight has no affect at all on rewards.
  • Options
    arcanaxearcanaxe Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is there to like about these potions. They only cater for the dps class, 1 potion let you do more damage on the dragons (Which means the dragon dies faster and the DC's heal less). The other potion let you take less damage(Which means less damage means less healing). So now that people will be using these potions, it is going to be even harder for the DC class to get great success. Well done.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is pure RNG so don't worry about it much. Today's example on a fairly routing dragon gang-bang in Ebon got a bone bow then in Icespire got the headress. Soloed a Gragon in Rothe: nothing, 2-manned with a CW till 50% in Whispering, nothing. I'm fairly convinced your performance in a dragon fight has no affect at all on rewards.

That's true. Even fully solo-killing a dragon won't guarantee a drop. It can be tested on Preview easily.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, you'd rather have nothing to spend them on at all? I for one appareciate that they actually listened to players for once. this latest patch was quite good imo, we need more like it.

I agree. People complain about devs not listening, then complain again because the implemented change was not good enough. :P
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    arcanaxe wrote: »
    What is there to like about these potions. They only cater for the dps class, 1 potion let you do more damage on the dragons (Which means the dragon dies faster and the DC's heal less). The other potion let you take less damage(Which means less damage means less healing). So now that people will be using these potions, it is going to be even harder for the DC class to get great success. Well done.

I get great success regularly with my 14.4k GS TR (hard to believe, I know) and I have never gotten anything extra except a couple of clothing pieces. Trying to get a rare drop from a dragon is probably like trying to get the glove drop in IWD encounters. . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    arcanaxearcanaxe Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I get great success regularly with my 14.4k GS TR (hard to believe, I know) and I have never gotten anything extra except a couple of clothing pieces. Trying to get a rare drop from a dragon is probably like trying to get the glove drop in IWD encounters. . .

Look it's great that they have brought out something that we can do with our dragon coins, but the problem is it caters for the damage class only. My question is why didn't they bring something to help the healing class as well. EG something that boost their healing by small % against dragons. That would make it equal to all classes, not just damage classes.

I've gotten used to that fact that the damage classes get preference because they are the majority on neverwinter, especially when it comes to the HE. For example back when IWD came out, the HE's favored the damage class by far, only later did they implement changes so that the tank/healing classes could also benefit more from the HE's.

The same happened when the new He's came out for TOD, the damage classes burn the dragons so fast that the healing class couldn't heal enough to achieve great success, so it was very hard to obtain great success, only after they increased the health of the dragons did this become better.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    EG something that boost their healing by small % against dragons. That would make it equal to all classes, not just damage classes.

Who's side are you on!
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I haven't tried the pots yet but I do like that they listened to our suggestions. Now, if they would just let us trade in dragon coins for sigils and/or cult secrets . . .
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2014

You are not alone. I'd say that I get Great Success about 50% of the time with my only character, <14k TR. Most of the fights I am in, the dragons last a few minutes so everybody has a decent chance of getting the same. I do not spend 8 hours a day playing and have only received 2 Dragonbone Whirls (useless) that I sold on the auction house. That's probably after 50 or so dragons, which is miles better than the many nothings I've received doing IWD encounters. I've never received anything but crafting resources for Great Success in IWD and stopped the campaign a few months ago because it was pointless. This dragon campaign is miles better in my opinion, even though the drop rate is severely low for all these encounters.
  • Options
    cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Look it's great that they have brought out something that we can do with our dragon coins, but the problem is it caters for the damage class only. My question is why didn't they bring something to help the healing class as well. EG something that boost their healing by small % against dragons. That would make it equal to all classes, not just damage classes.

I've gotten used to that fact that the damage classes get preference because they are the majority on neverwinter, especially when it comes to the HE. For example back when IWD came out, the HE's favored the damage class by far, only later did they implement changes so that the tank/healing classes could also benefit more from the HE's.

The same happened when the new He's came out for TOD, the damage classes burn the dragons so fast that the healing class couldn't heal enough to achieve great success, so it was very hard to obtain great success, only after they increased the health of the dragons did this become better.

Echoing what you're saying here... and don't get me started on the PVP Campaign and the requirement for Double and Triple Kills...

On the issue of Great Success, it is reassuring to hear from some of the folks here that getting Great Success ain't all that important with the RNG Wildcard running rampant. Thanks folks, keep grinding and good luck! :p
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am approaching 1000 Rothe Valley and Whispering Caverns dragons killed on my SW. 99% of the kills have been GREAT SUCCESS.

Loots: Dragon Bones, Draconic Head boots a number of times.

NO BELT.

NO ARTIFACT.

I ended up buying my belt in the AH.

Anyhow take what I just posted for what it is worth...I would say about as much as a great success, or rather that great success IMO only seems to affect the items that are not belts or artifacts.

/edit forgot this on topic...with the above said...it is great there is something I can spend dragon coins on but it is something I do not need. Note others may have a benefit which is good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Echoing what you're saying here... and don't get me started on the PVP Campaign and the requirement for Double and Triple Kills...

On the issue of Great Success, it is reassuring to hear from some of the folks here that getting Great Success ain't all that important with the RNG Wildcard running rampant. Thanks folks, keep grinding and good luck! :p

I'm not sure that it isn't important. It quite possibly increases your chances to get anything worthwhile massively. Though you're still extremely unlikely to get anything either way.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    vortican wrote: »
    I do not spend 8 hours a day playing and have only received 2 Dragonbone Whirls (useless) that I sold on the auction house. That's probably after 50 or so dragons, which is miles better than the many nothings I've received doing IWD encounters.

What is a Dragonbone Whirl? What is it used for? I've never seen nor heard of this item.

• Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What is a Dragonbone Whirl? What is it used for? I've never seen nor heard of this item.

Dragon Bone Whirl
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    silence1x wrote: »

Wow, that looks so freaking cool! Wish it were a purple one with better stats! :(

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Wow, that looks so freaking cool! Wish it were a purple one with better stats! :(

Transmute...

I think weapon enchants should apply to the off hand though visually =/
  • Options
    lordopiclordopic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a shame that they didn't make a pot that stops people from inviting other people onto full instances.

Yes it's nice that they have given us somthing to spend our coins on but personally I don't really see the point, I know it increases my damage by X amount, but when you have 20+ people in a fight designed for or at least recommended for six to ten people (I believe). Does that little extra % you get from the pots make any difference?

To add I always get great success in all my characters I have one of each class. Ok they all vary in gear score etc , but with so many people I don't see the need to buy the pots.

Maybe when my coins have reached 999, i cash them in for pots then the pots to gold, gold to pots/med kits that I have a use for.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Transmute...

I think weapon enchants should apply to the off hand though visually =/

Oh, so the stats on my current weapon will increase by the stats on this weapon, such as +829 Power, +186 critical strike, and +154 deflection???

It doesn't say it is a transmute in the description . . .

• Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh, so the stats on my current weapon will increase by the stats on this weapon, such as +829 Power, +186 critical strike, and +154 deflection???

No, all the transmute does is give your weapon the appearance of this weapon. I guess I could have used it for a transmute but it also costs AD. Not worth it in my opinion but certainly wasn't worth it to have 2 of them sitting in my inventory, and they cannot be sold for gold, only on the auction house.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's true. Even fully solo-killing a dragon won't guarantee a drop. It can be tested on Preview easily.

I agree 100% about it being pure RNG, during the siege event I came in on a fight where the dragon was down to 10% hp, I was able to hit it like twice before it died and still got medals lol. And like others have said, I've soloed dragons and got <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> while getting good drops doing little damage.

So I refuse to believe the "great success = great drops" idea.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've gotten Draconic gear when I tabbed out to fiddle with Gateway while waiting, got distracted, and arrived back when the fight was 3/4 complete.

Great Success might help, but it's not all there is to it.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    Beyond my initial "complaint" of being able to faceroll dragons faster, just where do you get that the change wasn't good enough?

My main question was regarding peoples opinions on how the new potions worked.

Honestly I could not tell you, I bought a bunch but been forgetting on every dragon since yesterday.