test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PvP] How to Survive Scourge Warlock

x1101011xx1101011x Member Posts: 87 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Temple
I'm currently spec'd Righteous, which is essentially impossible to kill -- unless there's a warlock.

Now, my defensive stats aren't the absolute best, but they're decent: 23.7k HP - 37.6% DR - 14.2% Deflect (@ 50%) - 21% PvP DR. I run with Astral Shield, Healing Word, and Bastion of Health.

Yet, under a divine Astral Shield, with Healing Word ticking, buffed by Divine Advantage (-80% combat advantage damage taken) and Warding Shield (-10% damage taken) and after having debuffed them with Power of the Sun (-5% damage, -5% crit) -- even with everything in my favor -- I can still be taken down by a single warlock in less than two seconds.

This is the only class that can do this. Everyone else wails on me helplessly while I heal, but if a warlock shows up, I'm insta-dead.

And it's not just one, really well geared warlock. It's pretty much every single warlock. I've only encountered one whose damage seemed normal instead of insanely ridiculous.

So, what am I doing wrong? Is there an ability I have to absolutely dodge? Do they have a curse that turns heals into damage, so I'm killing myself? Seriously, how do you survive a warlock?
Post edited by x1101011x on

Comments

• Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    you need more hp and regen for pvp and a little more deflect too. That will make you very tanky :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Regen and a little extra deflect are going to make zero difference in the two seconds it takes for a warlock to kill me. This is clearly a class issue, as I can tank multiple of every other class just fine.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    x1101011x wrote: »
    Regen and a little extra deflect are going to make zero difference in the two seconds it takes for a warlock to kill me. This is clearly a class issue, as I can tank multiple of every other class just fine.

23k hp is a little low for pvp though bro. With 35k + hp and decent regen will make healing more effective, making you survive more and harder to kill. Warlocks dps on single target is crazy though so in the end it might not make you unkillable like you can be with some classes, but it will help and maybe keep you alive until a teammate comes to help.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    23k hp is a little low for pvp though bro. With 35k + hp and decent regen will make healing more effective, making you survive more and harder to kill. Warlocks dps on single target is crazy though so in the end it might not make you unkillable like you can be with some classes, but it will help and maybe keep you alive until a teammate comes to help.

Why stop there? Why not have 100k HP? Why not a million?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Why stop there? Why not have 100k HP? Why not a million?

Sure a million hp seems nice :)

35k is very gettable and many pvp clerics have this or more and it makes them very hard to kill.

Hp is the best defense stat bro, if you had more then warlocks would not kill you so easy.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sure a million hp seems nice :)

35k is very gettable and many pvp clerics have this or more and it makes them very hard to kill.

Hp is the best defense stat bro, if you had more then warlocks would not kill you so easy.

I'm wearing the PvP gear for my class and spec. 35k HP is not "very gettable."
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I know the feeling man. It's hard to get all stats where you want but for pvp, hp is best. Even if you could get 30k it would be a huge increase. It would take more hits to kill you then you would also regen more from regen ability and healing.

Edit: I would highly recommend you farm for the purified ice set, just the armor set and it would make you so much more tanky, is best survival gear in game right now.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I saw DCs with PvE Miracle healer set and 35-40K HP. And more. DCs in PvP gear should be around 50K HP, and I am not exaggerating at all.

HP is essential. Less than 35K bad. Less than 30 is for those that can dodge everything (hint: nobody can). Less than 25K is purely suicidal.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm surprised you can stand up to anyone with 23K HP. My GWF has over 30K and dies very fast (though you do have more DR than him). My (17K)CW has about 27K and I can't ever make it to node #2 anymore.
  • Options
    gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is not a dig, but I second the comments about your HP. I'm surprised you don't die rapidly to pretty much any class. I'm on a bee's wang over 35k, with about 30% deflect, 1000ish regen, and all boons but the last couple in IWD & TOD - and I can be puglife melted with healing word ticking inside a divine Astral Shield sitting on hallowed ground by someone I've astral sealed (feated with power of oppression), and hit with break the spirit, if they're sufficiently dpsy. Warlocks have been the least of my worries however - a lot of them melt with a dot and liberal application of punishing light (and it's a nice two-way laser battle usually). When they get a bit more geared, i'll probably add them to the list of problem classes - which at that point will include all of them apart from other DCs, sentinel GWFs and most perma TRs.

That said - my gear is probably less than 70% of a BIS loadout, and I appear to have some weird sentimental attachment to the deflecty silveries I should be replacing with radiants for more HP. But yeah - you could get more HP etc.
  • Options
    velynnavelynna Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    23.7k HP

That's your entire problem. Seriously.

Get some gear with defensive slots and put radiants in them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I have 41k HP without any elixirs or companion bonuses using Miracle Healer set.

I have 49k with Black Ice gear.

I could get around 53k+ with elixirs.

Even with all that HP + more regen + more deflect + more DR than you, I'm still going to melt to any decent SW, CW, or HR with gear. My only guess for the reason "Everyone else wails on me helplessly while I heal" is that your ELO is low enough to match you against 8-12k gs teams.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You people are useless.

1) My 37.6% DR is my base DR. It's actually 48.6% with foresight.

2) HP is NOT the most important stat. HP does NOT improve heals (other than from regen). DR is far more important precisely because it makes heals more effective. Deflect is more important too because it provides CC reduction which allows more freedom to heal / place AS / activate daily, which is far, far more important than a little extra health.

3) This question is NOT about why I die in PvP. It's about why I die to WARLOCKS. I have never had a mage's Ice Knife take away more than 1/8 of my health -- any mage. With defensive buffs up, I can barely notice I've been hit. Yet, almost any warlock can take half my health with a single encounter power. There is clearly something wrong with this picture. I simply wish to know what the difference is between a warlock and every other class that allows warlocks to do 4-6 times as much damage to me as anyone else can do.

With my current gear, I have 62.2% effective DR, and that goes up to 71.3% when standing in AS. If anything, you should be recommending that I swap a power for Break the Spirit and put a 30% damage reduction on the warlock. But you're not because you don't understand stat mechanics and simply think "more HP equals good," so I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask.

I guess I'll just have to roll a warlock and see for myself.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You people are useless.

2) HP is NOT the most important stat. HP does NOT improve heals (other than from regen). DR is far more important precisely because it makes heals more effective. Deflect is more important too because it provides CC reduction which allows more freedom to heal / place AS / activate daily, which is far, far more important than a little extra health.

3) This question is NOT about why I die in PvP. It's about why I die to WARLOCKS. I have never had a mage's Ice Knife take away more than 1/8 of my health -- any mage. With defensive buffs up, I can barely notice I've been hit. Yet, almost any warlock can take half my health with a single encounter power. There is clearly something wrong with this picture. I simply wish to know what the difference is between a warlock and every other class that allows warlocks to do 4-6 times as much damage to me as anyone else can do.

With my current gear, I have 62.2% effective DR, and that goes up to 71.3% when standing in AS. If anything, you should be recommending that I swap a power for Break the Spirit and put a 30% damage reduction on the warlock. But you're not because you don't understand stat mechanics and simply think "more HP equals good," so I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask.

Hp is the most important stat, why do you think every single class goes for a decent amount if they play pvp? Your 23k is just bad. Hp makes you survive more hits AND makes regen more effective, and regen is very good. Plus it makes healing more effective so i dont understand why you think just dr is important when hp is better.

Also probably the MAIN reason why SW are melting you fast is because of glyphs, most people use red glyphs and although warlocks dps is already good, with glyphs they can deal crazy amounts, just like all other classes apart from gwf. Man the hr can deal 100k with just 3 encounters, the tr can deal 30k with 1 at will.

Get more hp and wait for glyphs to be fixed.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    i dont understand why you think just dr is important

Because I can do math.
  • Options
    yluminaylumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was like you a long time ago. Until I realized HP is my ultimate savior because it doesn't have diminishing returns like deflect and defense do :) No offense, but your hp pool would even be bad for previous NW mods, and imagine how bad it is for the current one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You people are useless.

Glyphs do not respect DR btw. You might have met a SW with glyphs, who knows, but really not that important, and they getting fixed.

Also arguably the best PvP DC in the game for a long while, velynna, just explained things to you and gave you exact figures.

Refusing her advice is just... not smart to say the least.
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    the main problem I see in PVP is control and so far SW don't have any
    CW is so much control that I stopped PVP domination
    somehow TR are the easy part, until they figure they don't need to perma stealth me

u need a lot of tank stat for pvp and that's mean HP (3k def and bit of deflect and regen as well), since that's the main style for DC now
  • Options
    raist724raist724 Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2014
    velynna wrote: »
    I have 41k HP without any elixirs or companion bonuses using Miracle Healer set.

I have 49k with Black Ice gear.

I could get around 53k+ with elixirs.

Even with all that HP + more regen + more deflect + more DR than you, I'm still going to melt to any decent SW, CW, or HR with gear. My only guess for the reason "Everyone else wails on me helplessly while I heal" is that your ELO is low enough to match you against 8-12k gs teams.

I got tired of the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> different domination and dropped the HP to 28k for lulz. I only pug but with almost 5k def and 4k+ deflect and 2k+ regen with basically no power/crit/arp and around 1k tenacity I am doing as well if not better then my 40k health setup against well geared and proper build players. Going to move away from the all rank 10 silvery which I run now and mix in some others maybe this weekend. But still at a loss for what is currently the "leet" setup in pvp for DC besides all orange arti with complete bi.
    Wake | Halfling | DC
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DCWaterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/profile
  • Options
    showmelightsshowmelights Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You people are useless.

I'd like to see you facing a HR with over 3k armor penetration, greater plague fire, a thorn ward in the middle of your astral shield and piercing blade for the lulz and say that you're invincible.
  • Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Because I can do math.
    Redo the math for your "71.3% DR" when Plaguefire, Thorn, CA, RoE, HV 4p bonus, and ArP is applied.

Otherwise, yeah, you probably met a SW with Glyphs - because of all the dots, the proc rate is insane.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You people are useless.

Everyone is telling you the same thing, and they're right. Your HP is too low for PvP. It doesn't directly improve your healings, but the longer you can stay alive, the more you can heal. No other stat will keep you alive longer than HP in PvP. As for DR? Every decent player stacks enough armor pen to ignore your DR. You don't need more than 15-20%ish deflect, since it's one of the least reliable stats. There was a time I was running around with over 30% deflect; having even just 2k more HP was more useful than an additional 10% deflect.

If you don't want to believe what everyone is saying about your HP, that's your loss. Enjoy dying to SWs (and any decent player in PvP).
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    herundrion wrote: »

Otherwise, yeah, you probably met a SW with Glyphs - because of all the dots, the proc rate is insane.

Pretty much this, if OP wants to know what's happening.

He will die just as quick to CWs and HRs using glyphs too (even to CWs and HRs without them, who know how to play their class).

My best advice as someone who plays this game strictly as a PvP DC is:

1. Get more HP (at least 30k+)
    2. Spec Divine Oracle and use the "anointed armor" class feature with Exaltation for increased survivability (if you want to invest in PvP)
    3. Get the "healing step" feat for more dodges
    4. Get black ice gear or build around Miracle Healer set
  • Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    velynna wrote: »

1. Get more HP (at least 30k+)
    2. Spec Anointed Champion and use the "anointed armor" class feature with Exaltation for increased survivability (if you want to invest in PvP)
    3. Get the "healing step" feat for more dodges
    4. Get black ice gear or build around Miracle Healer set
    Fixed that for ya.

Also, with his spec he's prolly still stuck in low leaderboard tiers where no one knows what they're doing except for an occasional "ELO balancer."
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    herundrion wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya.

Also, with his spec he's prolly still stuck in low leaderboard tiers where no one knows what they're doing except for an occasional "ELO balancer."

Ah! Yes, thank you. And agreed.
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have never had a mage's Ice Knife take away more than 1/8 of my health -- any mage.
    I could tell you've never met any CW with GS higher than 10k.....

23k HP = one-shotted by everyone. Even my DC can kill you in 30 seconds max...
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here are some of my suggestions:
    1) Ditch Bastion, use Exaltation, or Sun Burst if you don't wanna change paragon.
    2) Stack HP to at least 30k+ (Radiant in all defense slots)
    3) Gear: Miracle Healer / Purified Black Ice set >> Profound faithful
    4) Regen at least 1000+

And no your math is wrong, I could've showed you how to ideally stack defense and deflect by solving differential equations but they really aren't worth stacking compared to HP, which has no diminishing return, and is overall a much more reliable defensive stat.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    23.7k HP and complaining about dying easily in PVP

Go figure
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Trade BOH for Break The Spirit.

See SW? BTS, run away.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bvira wrote: »
    Here are some of my suggestions:
    1) Ditch Bastion, use Exaltation, or Sun Burst if you don't wanna change paragon.
    2) Stack HP to at least 30k+ (Radiant in all defense slots)
    3) Gear: Miracle Healer / Purified Black Ice set >> Profound faithful
    4) Regen at least 1000+

And no your math is wrong, I could've showed you how to ideally stack defense and deflect by solving differential equations but they really aren't worth stacking compared to HP, which has no diminishing return, and is overall a much more reliable defensive stat.

Let's see those differential equations.

Be aware of your constraints: I'm a grad student. I don't have time to farm or money to waste. Sure, HP is great once you've already hit the soft caps for all the more valuable stats, but I'm not talking about being the best DC in the game; I'm talking about casual PvP games maybe a couple of times a week to unwind from the stress of exams and wearing what can be bought from the Glory and AD those generate. Of course, this information is irrelevant to the OP because (for the millionth time):

Again, I am not complaining about dying often. I simply wished to know why warlocks do so much damage compared to other classes.