test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boons in MoD 4

dangerzone91dangerzone91 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Well,

I made ​​over 200 runs in SoT, not droped the book (SOMETHING IS WRONG) to get the "book" by boring and tiring mode (Tyranny Campaign) i need to make the campaign "without losing any day" during two months. =/. Please facilitates the means to achieve these boons (do not want to spend more 5kk for two boons). The Sharandar campaign is fun compared to Tyranny Campaign.

My two cents
Post edited by dangerzone91 on

Comments

• w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I decided yesterday that I'm not even going to try to get the last two boons on my characters. If I happen to want to run the skirmish and if the book happens to drop, great, but I'm not gonna waste hours and hours running this skirmish. And I'm not gonna do all 5 dragons a day anymore to gather the sigils to buy the books. I was done with dailies by 10 pm and had some time to run the siege event and even read before bed and the world didn't end.

I've never hated Sharadar though, sure the last boon took forever, but I could just do the one daily for sparks (which I do even now anyway for fey blessings) and in time I had all the sparks I needed with minimal effort, just took a long time. I don't like this RNG element tied to boons in ToD at all.
  • yoadoadyoadoad Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Yeah. I hope there will be a $50 campaign finisher soon.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I decided yesterday that I'm not even going to try to get the last two boons on my characters. If I happen to want to run the skirmish and if the book happens to drop, great, but I'm not gonna waste hours and hours running this skirmish. And I'm not gonna do all 5 dragons a day anymore to gather the sigils to buy the books. I was done with dailies by 10 pm and had some time to run the siege event and even read before bed and the world didn't end.

That's just it. I have realised that even if I play for hours in an an evening, all I do are soul-crushing dailies. By the time I have done all the dragons and IWD on my Warlock, it's time for some serious sleep. That's even after paying through the nose to skip Sharandar and Dread Ring. It's horrible, I hadn't clocked what it had become- but the treadmill is so massive that I never actually do anything fun anymore- rarely a dungeon or some PvP.

That's with one character. Most of my characters haven't done much IWD and haven't set foot in ToD. Good luck if you have alts and this isn't your full-time job.

The balance is off. In most MMOs that I have played, dailies are the minority of your time, and the interesting PvE and PvP content are the majority. Somehow, NW has shifted the balance, over a few mods, to become hopelessly grindy and tedious. A new character has to grind endlessly for months to "catch up" and for what? There's no challenging endgame anyway. Maybe that's the problem- I'm nuts, and failed to notice this. Shame on me.

Conversely, it was probably never a design aim for it to be like this- the law of unintended consequences probably applied as the mods stacked up. I await the pleasant surprise caused by Cryptic noticing that things are in a parlous state, going "ruh roh" and actually streamlining the grindy madness a bit, possibly throwing in some more fun dungeons and some PvP fixes too :)
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I do hope that you are not serous about this Module 5.

What I'd wanted is some calm time to get on with this depressing boons, without any new events, just to play though it and have a breath of air. If the new Module will be smth like ToD, I believe I'll quit as it has already become too tiresome and boring.
    For quite a long time I simply have no time to just play (enjoy an occasional dungeon or help some newbie with a quest, etc.) but am forced to do the same tedious dailies over and over again...

So depressing :(
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    That's just it. I have realised that even if I play for hours in an an evening, all I do are soul-crushing dailies. By the time I have done all the dragons and IWD on my Warlock, it's time for some serious sleep. That's even after paying through the nose to skip Sharandar and Dread Ring. It's horrible, I hadn't clocked what it had become- but the treadmill is so massive that I ever actually do anything fun anymore- rarely a dungeon or some PvP.

That's with one character. Most of my characters haven't done much IWD and haven't set foot in ToD. Good luck if you have alts and this isn't your full-time job.

The balance is off. In most MMOs that I have played, dailies are the minority of your time, and the interesting PvE and PvP content are the majority. Somehow, NW has shifted the balance, over a few mods, to become hopelessly grindy and tedious. A new character has to grind endlessly for months to "catch up" and for what? There's no challenging endgame anyway. Maybe that's the problem- I'm nuts, and failed to notice this. Shame on me.

Conversely, it was probably never a design aim for it to be like this- the law of unintended consequences probably applied as the mods stacked up. I await the pleasant surprise caused by Cryptic noticing how things have become, going "ruh roh" and actually streamlining the grindy madness a bit, and possibly throwing in some more fun dungeons and some PvP fixes :)

I'm with you on that. I am a casual gamer, so I don't have a lot of time to play each day. Prior to Mod 4, I was able to play several of my characters every day or two. Now, I focus mostly on one character because of how time consuming things have become.

I really wish they would wait more time between releasing major modules, this way I could enjoy all of my characters a bit more. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly I'm logging in less and less with the way they did the RNG. Maybe I'll play more with mod5, but this well, it is making me rapidly lose interest in the game and the company. Pvp is broken, Pve is broken (no challenge), boons which I consider part of leveling is broken from high rng.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I haven't actually tried polling people, but a lot of my guildies have stepped back on their playtime, seemingly having given up on the campaigns altogether. When we do manage to run a dungeon, doing anything else together beyond the one run gets pre-empted by "sorry, I'm not even close to done with dailies" from the people who are still trying to play regularly.

As much as it's possible to streamline the time the campaign takes by switching areas to find low timers, ToD on one (strong) character is about an hour per day once all areas are unlocked. People trying to complete this on multiple alts concurrently are absolutely overwhelmed.

$50/character to autocomplete ToD is also not going to happen. If I get to the stage where I'm contemplating paying a fee so that I don't actually have to play the game that I'm playing, it's time for me to back off and examine my life choices.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Games need to be fun. As long as the game is fun, people will play and spend money on stuff that adds to their fun and allows them to do more stuff.

If the game is not fun, and much of the new cash shop stuff is designed to allow players to not do stuff that they don't find fun... what's left?

There is this creeping sense of having the option there to pay the game to play itself for you. And that's a serious breaking point.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited September 2014
    $50/character to autocomplete ToD is also not going to happen. If I get to the stage where I'm contemplating paying a fee so that I don't actually have to play the game that I'm playing, it's time for me to back off and examine my life choices.

LOL! Isn't that the truth!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I've totally given up on ToD because of the endless grind. I just do Foundries now, because they are what is actually FUN. That's where all the best stories, and all the roleplaying is. And since I'm not trying to keep up with anything but the auto-scaled content; I don't even have to think about boons or epic gear or anything! Yay!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I did the first 3 boons and left the other 2 to rot in hell.

I hope Tiamat will eat those 2 rotting boons so I will never need to look for those books again :(
  • yaminabyaminab Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you find this annoying i suggest you to play TESO and grind billions of XP to get veteran ranks.
    Not mentioning the trailer of bugs thrown at you every step you do.

This game is good compared with things out there. Not saying this is the best mmo of all time, but trust me, the content given here is good, you guys that complain about boredom and grinding its because you never played a true mmo where you get your stuff day by day, not rushing it.

You can also try diablo 3 and grind trillions of xp to get paragon ranks and hope for legendary stuff to drop too, dont complain, stop playing or lel.
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I'm with you on that. I am a casual gamer, so I don't have a lot of time to play each day. Prior to Mod 4, I was able to play several of my characters every day or two. Now, I focus mostly on one character because of how time consuming things have become.

I really wish they would wait more time between releasing major modules, this way I could enjoy all of my characters a bit more. :)

Ditto. I used to be able to play alts.. now by the time you get done with ToD dailies there is barely time to do events, IWD or much of anything else. Feels like Im playing an old school grindy mmo again. And I miss putting time into my alts and playing other classes. Somehow the fun went away, and I was pretty stoked for ToD.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • seventhpillarseventhpillar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yaminab wrote: »
    If you find this annoying i suggest you to play TESO and grind billions of XP to get veteran ranks.

This game is good compared with things out there. Not saying this is the best mmo of all time, but trust me, the content given here is good, you guys that complain about boredom and grinding its because you never played a true mmo where you get your stuff day by day, not rushing it.

You can also try diablo 3 and grind trillions of xp to get paragon ranks and hope for legendary stuff to drop too, dont complain, stop playing or lel.

Grinding XP for leveling up is a completely different, especially because most games that have slow leveling have a lot of leveling content to enjoy and also have an endgame. Neverwinter has neither. The end-game in NW is grinding dailies for boons. Also, you don't need billions of XP in TESO, only millions, i've played several MMOs that required more XP to get a maxed out character and i've enjoyed it a lot more than the daily grind mod 4 turned NW into. Just to mention 2: in TSW you need 378,720,000 XP to unlock every ability, in AO you need 16,996,394,950 XP to get to lvl 220 and 14,935,041,000 of that is to get your character from 200 to 220. Grinding XP while doing dungeons or farming outdoor mobs for sellable loot is a lot more fun, at least for me, than grinding the same 10 missions every day instead of farming dungeons.

Just as a fun fact, the "advancement" of NW:

Module 1:
    - 10 missions/day, 1 daily lair, 1 weekly lair;
    - Required for fast progression: 1-7 daily missions, depending on your progress, and 1 weekly lair;
    - Time to complete: ~1.5 months (to lazy to do the math);
    - Relic fragments available

Module 2:
    - 3 missions/day, 1 daily lair, 1 weekly mission;
    - Required for fast progression: 1 daily lair, 1 weekly mission;
    - Time to complete: 30 days;
    - Relic fragments available

Module 3 (PvE only):
    - 7 missions/day, 1 weekly lair;
    - Required for fast progression: 1 daily mission (reputation) and a few more dailies every now and then, or buying 2-3 relic fragments;
    - Time to complete: 35 days;
    - Relic fragments available;

Module 4:
    - 10 missions/day, 1 daily lair, 1 weekly lair, 2 weekly mission;
    - Required for fast progression: All;
    - Time to complete: 2+ months;
    - Relic fragments NOT available;

So mod 4 has more dailies/weeklies than mod 1, you also need to do all of the missions in order to progress, no relic fragments are available that could speed up your progress, and as an added bonus they introduced RNG in the equation. Doing the dailies with 2-3 toons you end up spending 3-4 hours doing nothing fun. That's called a part time job, not an MMO.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014

I really like this idea. Patch it next maintenance!
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Module 4:
    - 10 missions/day, 1 daily lair, 1 weekly lair, 2 weekly mission;

You are incorrect. It is 2 missions/day.
  • seventhpillarseventhpillar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    You are incorrect. It is 2 missions/day.

Nope, you are wrong like I said on the other thread. He is right, there are 10 totals, 5 dragons and 5 associated quests. Please research before you accuse people of posting misleading information. You are the one who is incorrect.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Nope, you are wrong like I said on the other thread. He is right, there are 10 totals, 5 dragons and 5 associated quests. Please research before you accuse people of posting misleading information. You are the one who is incorrect.

Agreed.

And also how would you get the 4th and 5th boons? Even more dailies or play the RNG game
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    now by the time you get done with ToD dailies there is barely time to do events, IWD or much of anything else. Feels like Im playing an old school grindy mmo again. And I miss putting time into my alts and playing other classes. Somehow the fun

"Anyone for SpellPlague? I need the gear" a guildie asked in guild chat. All the answers were "Sorry, just completed my dailies, my gaming time is over"
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just would like to know what the thinking process was behind creating this coma inducing grind for the last two boons ? I don't see how it will make people buy more zen nor do I see how this makes the game more enjoyable, why did they do this ?
  • lizea60lizea60 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is anyone already got the book ? it never drop.....
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited September 2014

True. Perfectly true.

Wow, wow... Just a sec: the majority of players are not 20-hours-a-day players. Like it or not, they are casual players who indeed will leave if they are pushed too hard. Now, do you really believe that it'd be good for the game?
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Module 4:
    - 10 missions/day

Also, note that you have to wait to do dragon quests as well as wasting lots of time traveling from one location to another.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014

This is a flawed answer, just because some other mmo is worse, doesnt make this one better. Ive been playing 20 years in mmo since EQ 1 days, to me mmos have peaks and valleys and games do as well.

After trying out a few different mmos after I left lotro , I came to NW due to what I perceived as a game that fit better into my now crazy schedule , however, this new campaign completely reversed that, I dont have time to play alts (something that is forefront of any games I play, I get bored with one class, and the reason I left lotro (they introduced a 6 month grind time for each class, with multiple group landscape dailies to achieve it) in fact both my long time guild and my raiding guild pretty much all quit at that time. It was only introduced as a filler module, as it had zero purpose in the game story honestly and just kept poeple busy with no other function but to increase some gear that you just spent dozens of hours grinding for and replace it for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> green loot that was better!

NW had it right (other then the lousy rng on the Black ice bracers) until mod 4, this is just too much grind for many people and its not alt friendly and then followed by rng.

I always prefer token type progression, as your time will eventually = the gear you need, I also prefer games that allowed those tokens to be BoA so each class you play could swap them around.

RNG other then maybe the very top rare items shouldn't be in play (taking a book from lotro, everyone COULD have access to 2nd level weapons and off hands, but the 1st level were pretty much locked out for everything but the top 2-3 raiding guilds) which was ok, I got a few 1st level on my raiding classes, but everyone else could run all the 6 man and t1 raids with that amount of gear on hand.

We are just asking them for a similar amount of grind time as previous mods, this is overboard and very time and alt unfriendly. Most of us do not want to just do daily after daily.
    edited September 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    This is a flawed answer, just because some other mmo is worse, doesnt make this one better. Ive been playing 20 years in mmo since EQ 1 days, to me mmos have peaks and valleys and games do as well.

After trying out a few different mmos after I left lotro , I came to NW due to what I perceived as a game that fit better into my now crazy schedule , however, this new campaign completely reversed that, I dont have time to play alts (something that is forefront of any games I play, I get bored with one class, and the reason I left lotro (they introduced a 6 month grind time for each class, with multiple group landscape dailies to achieve it) in fact both my long time guild and my raiding guild pretty much all quit at that time. It was only introduced as a filler module, as it had zero purpose in the game story honestly and just kept poeple busy with no other function but to increase some gear that you just spent dozens of hours grinding for and replace it for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> green loot that was better!

NW had it right (other then the lousy rng on the Black ice bracers) until mod 4, this is just too much grind for many people and its not alt friendly and then followed by rng.

I always prefer token type progression, as your time will eventually = the gear you need, I also prefer games that allowed those tokens to be BoA so each class you play could swap them around.

RNG other then maybe the very top rare items shouldn't be in play (taking a book from lotro, everyone COULD have access to 2nd level weapons and off hands, but the 1st level were pretty much locked out for everything but the top 2-3 raiding guilds) which was ok, I got a few 1st level on my raiding classes, but everyone else could run all the 6 man and t1 raids with that amount of gear on hand.

We are just asking them for a similar amount of grind time as previous mods, this is overboard and very time and alt unfriendly. Most of us do not want to just do daily after daily.

That's perfect! Please take note, Developers!! :)

• josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah those last 2 boons are fantastically irksome. While waiting for the dragons I keep hovering over them and keep wondering if they are really worth all this time being put into it. That they decide to put something so out of reach either shows that there isn't much content coming out for awhile and they need this to last -or- they just don't really care. Either way is bad in my book. As much as I want to be excited for Tiamat I can only imagine what other stupid design decisions will come out in Module 5.

Just out of curiosity, how many minutes a day does a "casual" player have to play? I say 15. Yep. As defined by their own foundries. That's what they should be aiming for themselves for their "dailies".
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
    edited September 2014
    Just out of curiosity, how many minutes a day does a "casual" player have to play? I say 15. Yep. As defined by their own foundries. That's what they should be aiming for themselves for their "dailies".

LOL! I am a casual player, but if I only had 15 minutes a day to play, I would never have played NW. You'd basically barely have enough time to invoke and work professions each day and nothing else.

In my definition, a casual player averages about 2 hours per day, or no more than 15 hours per week. I fall into that category, as I usually get about 15-17 hours a week of playing time.

In another MMO I played, I was a no-lifer for about 2-3 years straight, playing about 60 hours per week. And that was with a full-time job! I learned the hard way that real life is MUCH better that game life - just have to work on it to make it that way. :)

• josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sad part is after typing that, I'm still here waiting for Merothrax. What the hell. Guess I'm an addict! >.<
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014

No, for minimum advancement in the campaign, you only have to do 2 missions per day, 1 quest and kill 1 dragon.

For fastest possible advancement in the campaign, you do 10 missions per day.

But it is YOUR CHOICE whether or not to do the extra 8 missions per day or not. No one is required to do them.