test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How about a new difficulty?

shyataoshyatao Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
I still can remember the times we ran through the T2 dungeons with around 10 to 11k Gearscore and had a hard time doing so. Now, after all the new addons new equipment, artifacts and boons gave us an immense power boost.
Talking with other people I realized, a lot of em have already reached endequipment, even with their twinks.
So it's understandable some people are bored of the game.

That's why I wanna start a discussion about implementing a new difficulty.
Just to clarify: I am NOT speaking of a higher levelcap!!!

What I'm talking about is a new, higher difficulty in addition to the existing ones, so we have the normal, epic and legendary dungeons.

Those dungeons should have a difficulty no fresh of the hook lvl 60 character would be able to master, even when getting the boons. That means, a group of five characters which were played longer than two weeks should be necessary.
The mobs should have a level of at least 70.
Also the equipment one would get from those shouldn't be so good that it gets easy to run those legendary dungeons. Better but not easy. The dungeons should at every time be a challenge for those gamers who really like to master higher difficulties.

So for example: all the dungeons we have till now and also upcoming ones implemented with a new additional difficulty, so normal and epic dungeons would still be there.

I think that would be a very good idea to animate people to keep playing the game
Post edited by shyatao on

Comments

• Options
    hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In my opinion you are right. People can 1men dungeons like CN and this shouldnt be possible...

The PvE content is too easy for people with 19k gs+, they should bring out new pve content that is difficult even if you have 20k gs.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You still can run through with 10k GS and be challenged. You chose not to.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree whole heartedly.

While I'm not sure I could solo all epics, I could definitely duo most of them. Just recently I did a 3 man cn, 30-40 minutes and it was an absolute face roll to Draco and we one shotted him no problem.

Even at our excellent gear and skill level it shouldn't be that easy. If there was a legendary version we might need things like teamwork or strategy.

I mean, I was farming cn at 11 or 12k, and it's still doable with that party if they work together well, so shouldn't there be something for us advances players as well?
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like the idea i also think that they should incorporate some mechanics to the bosses as well other then just throwing more adds at you.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    they could introduce t3 remake of Karru/SP/FH/and TOS droping "reinforced" t2 sets that should be easy since its just tweaking existing ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They can just add a bunch of one shot hits like in eLoL to legendary dungeons and that would be the only difference
    ────────────────────────────
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
    ────────────────────────────
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014

So in order to keep the game interesting and have difficulty balanced content we have to gimp ourselves have have nothing to work for ie the whole point of an mmorpg. Right...

I'm now at the point where I have no idea what to do. The new dungeon focuses on BoP yet again and dragon gems are pretty freaking cheap that it's hardly worth farming. I'm not sure if I should even bother with mod 5, fighting tiamat might be cool, having to do dailies to get that far only to have it be just as unrewarding as every other module isn't. They promise good things for mod 6, but will it be too late and can we even take their word for it. If they're hyping mod 6, does that mean mod 5 is a let-down?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic experimented with adjustable difficulty in Champions. It flopped pretty hard. Its not been something they have shown any signs of trying again.

Number one issue is the loot. This is not a hardcore loot progression game. You can forget about having new or better loot for more difficult content. At best, a harder tier of content will simply give slightly better drop odds, and nothing more. Cryptic staff have gone on record stating that extra special loot for extra special difficulty is not a design philosophy of theirs. Gentleman Crush himself was directly responsible for stripping out all extra rewards from champions very hard settings.

The other issue was, even at its top..very hard setting. Champions scalable difficulty was still very easy. Cryptic has always had a casual leaning to their games. They arn't very good at pleasing the hardcore. And all their past attempts to do so have been disappointing.

So, consider all this when asking for something harder. Understand, that it most likely wont happen. If it happens it most likely wont be all that difficult or satisfying and there wont be any additional reason or reward for doing it. Personally, Id rather they focus other things, then something for the top tier players that, most likely, wont even satisfy them.
  • Options
    linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited September 2014

...........Zactly
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd approve of some legendary versions of already existing dungeons, however I don't think they should drop gear at all. We don't want things to be more faceroll than they already are. Instead, drop rank 9 enchants and maybe refinement point items (talking 10K plus RP items). That would be more than enough incentive for me to do them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It has become so easy that even in the new epic dungeon and skirmish a CW/SW(and sometimes HR/GWF depending on what is ahead) will often run ahead and have most everything killed before the slower mounted people can catch up. There is no sense of danger in this game and no real challenge (the most challenging thing I find is obtaining that damnable cult secret documents in Whispering Caverns where it is hard to click in the tents -- and that isn't fun challenging either). I really liked the difficulty (and design) of the T1 dungeons back in the day when you entered them at appropriate GS -- now that could be very fun and challenging (and a few even a bit too much, but certainly much better than this overly easy play that exists now).
  • Options
    shyataoshyatao Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Just because the top 5% of players are bored is hardly a reason to set the other 95% back on our heals....

It's not just 5% anymore and nobody talks about shocking people. For that legendary content it should be clear from the start, that at least two to three full campaign boons and a full set of T2 equipment should be necessary - or a dual (2/2) set.
    That content should be for those who already played the game for a longer time, not for the freshly starting players - why? Everybody reaches a point in the game if they continue to play where it becomes really easy to run through the dungeons. CN, VT, MC are no challenge anymore. I like the difficulty of the new epic skirmish and dungeon and I want more of them. I am not one of the highest equipped people with a 16k TR, there is some who have even higher gearscore - but even I can see, that content becomes too easy the more I gear up (and I have neither a legenday weapon, belt or artifact so far).

Also no starting player who just starts the game would be shocked, 'cause when u start, even T2 dungeons are hard, so it's just a continuation of difficulty adding legendary skirmishes and dungeons.

We don't need legendary gear - it would be enough to give back the possibility we once had.
    Until Tyranny we were able to upgrade our bracers, why not give that possibility back for the legendary dungeons? Add the possibility of upgrading the other gear too and make it so, one would need some profession assets one would only get out of the legendary dungeon chests. (e.g. +250 upgrade per piece makes 1000 all together and that should be enough)

Add some cool artifacts and companions one would only get there to give people the motivation to play em and they will.

Another thing that really should be changed until then is pvp.
    There should be some way to have different Tier based pvp (or gearscore based). Another possibility would be scaling ones gear, so everybody has about the same chance to win. And it shouldn't be possible to change gear in pvp. Decide what gear to use when starting pvp and u should have to run with that then. This idea is just another thought how to make other content fair when adding better equipment (though that should have been worked on long ago) not to start a discussion about pvp - there is other threads for that.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Just because the top 5% of players are bored is hardly a reason to set the other 95% back on our heals..... That is really all I have to say.

Is that a joke, right?, it's not even close to 5% I think.

Seriously, if you are 12K and you play since 3 weeks don't waste your words here, just play 1 month and you will outgear the content, and then you will be here asking the same thing than us.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Ok... so if normal dungeon were the most challenging content in the game... you should try to be 5K to keep things challenging?, this is nonsense, there should be content challenging for any player, and not the player make himself weaker to fit the content...
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Fact is, 90% or more of the playerbase are casual.

So it does not make sense from a business perspective to invest much money in content that only 5-10% of the population will use.

This is the case for all mmorpg's out there, none are really optimal for the most hardcore players because that is not where the money is.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would be okay with harder, tougher dungeons for the uber-geared crowd.

I would NOT be okay with uber T4/T5/whatever gear as a reward.

Because that would create a permanent two-tier playerbase, the uber-geared running around with 23k+ and the casuals at 15k or less.

Perhaps if the T1 dungeons were reworked for 'legendary' mode or something, and the boss loot could be anything in the epic loot table, just BOE. So it could be CN rings, BI bracers, AoW helm, a crappy 3k belt, whatever. So you could make some serious cash if BI bracers dropped for you, but you couldn't propel yourself into godmode gearwise.

I would also like to remind people that this game is intended to be played by a casual audience. If you are a hardcore player who plays this game 12 hours a day and find yourself bored, then the game is working as intended. It's not meant to be played like that. The game is like a buffet. You are supposed to enjoy different courses of a buffet slowly and gradually. If you consume everything at the buffet all at once, you'll get sick and have a bad time.
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    +1

As for the rewards just giving out the t2 sets with t2.5 stats would be enough or t2 sets with overloads......

the refining stones idea also sounds sweet though, enough of an incentive already as once ur geared ur basically only upgrading enchants/artifacts through those.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Fact is, 90% or more of the playerbase are casual.

So it does not make sense from a business perspective to invest much money in content that only 5-10% of the population will use.

This is the case for all mmorpg's out there, none are really optimal for the most hardcore players because that is not where the money is.

Fact is, a lot of players leave because of this, so it does make sense, to invest on this.

"This is the case for all mmorpg's out there", you must understand that here the situation is worse, 1-2 months and you will be able to run any dungeon even with PuG, and maybe you will have trouble with 1-2 bosses, while in other games (in my experience) you can play for 5 months and keep dying on some dungeons or find challenging content outside the dungeons.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    Fact is, a lot of players leave because of this, so it does make sense, to invest on this.

"This is the case for all mmorpg's out there", you must understand that here the situation is worse, 1-2 months and you will be able to run any dungeon even with PuG, and maybe you will have trouble with 1-2 bosses, while in other games (in my experience) you can play for 5 months and keep dying on some dungeons or find challenging content outside the dungeons.

It is challenging. Just not to you.
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    It is challenging. Just not to you.

You also might say:

"It's not challenging at all. It is just for you."
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have something like 2000 players on my friends list, i think more than half have quit, why? they outgear the content, they get bored and burned out. Ever run CN 1500 times, it's easy and you are like, well, maybe there should be a HARDER dungeon that is more fun and makes more ad?

yeah... that's most of the people i know in this game.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    shyatao wrote: »
    I still can remember the times we ran through the T2 dungeons with around 10 to 11k Gearscore and had a hard time doing so. Now, after all the new addons new equipment, artifacts and boons gave us an immense power boost.
    Talking with other people I realized, a lot of em have already reached endequipment, even with their twinks.
    So it's understandable some people are bored of the game.

That's why I wanna start a discussion about implementing a new difficulty.
    Just to clarify: I am NOT speaking of a higher levelcap!!!

What I'm talking about is a new, higher difficulty in addition to the existing ones, so we have the normal, epic and legendary dungeons.

Those dungeons should have a difficulty no fresh of the hook lvl 60 character would be able to master, even when getting the boons. That means, a group of five characters which were played longer than two weeks should be necessary.
    The mobs should have a level of at least 70.
    Also the equipment one would get from those shouldn't be so good that it gets easy to run those legendary dungeons. Better but not easy. The dungeons should at every time be a challenge for those gamers who really like to master higher difficulties.

So for example: all the dungeons we have till now and also upcoming ones implemented with a new additional difficulty, so normal and epic dungeons would still be there.

I think that would be a very good idea to animate people to keep playing the game

Agree VERY much so. My idea on this "third tier" of difficulty is making them 10 man dungeons rather than 5 man.
  • Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not everyone plays the game everyday. Not everyone plays the game everyday for months on end without taking a break. I have taken several breaks from Neverwinter, and I don't mean breaks like simply invoking and running leadership everyday. I actually stop running the game entirely because I do not want to get burned out on a game I have invested hundreds of dollars into. I have a life outside of Neverwinter, like the vast majority of the player base.

Have you considered running dungeons with lesser geared players? MMORPGs are social games by their very nature, and some of us find it very rewarding to establish connections within the game. Try helping a party at the minimum gear score level complete a tier 2 dungeon; it will be challenging, since you actually have to rely on teamwork and teach your allies how to run the dungeon correctly and cannot simply steamroll through the content with an experienced, overheated party. You'll have more players to play with when the rest of the server catches up to you, so you'll feel less left out by the lack of players and content at your level.

Most of my characters are at 13k to 16k, and I sometimes join undergeared groups running tier 1 dungeons to help them gear up, or if they're feeling adventurous, even a tier 2 dungeon. When I'm out of keys and the DD event isn't running, I often idle in zone chat and answer newbie questions. Basically, there's a lot of stuff to do if you're willing to put the time and effort to look for them.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You also might say:

"It's not challenging at all. It is just for you."

Well, let's see. I hang out on the /legit channel, and without fail, at the end of every DD hour, there are always a few groups pleading on the channel "please GF/DC queue for X dungeon, we are stuck at last boss!!!" Doesn't seem to me that these groups find the content to be such a roflstomp.

There is just so much elitism inherent in making a declarative statement of "the content is too easy". Sure it may be too easy for you, but what about everyone else? Does that thought even cross your mind?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    arontimes wrote: »
    Not everyone plays the game everyday. Not everyone plays the game everyday for months on end without taking a break. I have taken several breaks from Neverwinter, and I don't mean breaks like simply invoking and running leadership everyday. I actually stop running the game entirely because I do not want to get burned out on a game I have invested hundreds of dollars into. I have a life outside of Neverwinter, like the vast majority of the player base.

Have you considered running dungeons with lesser geared players? MMORPGs are social games by their very nature, and some of us find it very rewarding to establish connections within the game. Try helping a party at the minimum gear score level complete a tier 2 dungeon; it will be challenging, since you actually have to rely on teamwork and teach your allies how to run the dungeon correctly and cannot simply steamroll through the content with an experienced, overheated party. You'll have more players to play with when the rest of the server catches up to you, so you'll feel less left out by the lack of players and content at your level.

Most of my characters are at 13k to 16k, and I sometimes join undergeared groups running tier 1 dungeons to help them gear up, or if they're feeling adventurous, even a tier 2 dungeon. When I'm out of keys and the DD event isn't running, I often idle in zone chat and answer newbie questions. Basically, there's a lot of stuff to do if you're willing to put the time and effort to look for them.

This is an excellent idea, but I think there are a lot of people on the forums who apparently think that anyone with a 15k GS or lower has ebola or something and won't go near them. They only hang out with their l33t crowd, bored and complaining that there's nothing to do. There is actually a lot to do, once you step outside the boundaries that you place on yourself. And I'd add myself to that list. There's a lot of foundries I'd like to try or a different character I'd like to level and experience the leveling content with different struggles inherent with different classes' mechanics.

I do wish there was some incentive associated with mentoring new players. That would be an awesome addition, if it was done right. But it would be very hard to implement without it being either so onerous to complete, or so easy to abuse, so it probably won't happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    arontimes wrote: »

Sure, if my goal is to help I will help guildmates and friends, but in any MMORPG there have to be progression too, and the content shouldn't be so extremelly trivialized just because you are in a group with some 15K-16K GS (and you can see ppl with +20K GS).

In short, I'ill help and I help when I can, but runing dungeons with new people shouldn't be the WAY to get some challenge in the game :(.

And we are not asking something insane, it's normal in the average of MMORPGS I've played that there is some sort of challenge or a tiny part of the content that is hard, even for some old and experienced players. NWN is the weird case.
  • Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Stupid autocorrect. "Overheated" should be "overgeared."

#AndroidTabletProblems
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Well, let's see. I hang out on the /legit channel, and without fail, at the end of every DD hour, there are always a few groups pleading on the channel "please GF/DC queue for X dungeon, we are stuck at last boss!!!" Doesn't seem to me that these groups find the content to be such a roflstomp.

There is just so much elitism inherent in making a declarative statement of "the content is too easy". Sure it may be too easy for you, but what about everyone else? Does that thought even cross your mind?

I have /legit turned on sometimes, although I have rarely spoken in it. I inspected some people. Many are beginners seeking a shelter of humanity from the rough /lfg conditions. Which is good. Others are very geared, but I played with a few of these geared ones and they clear stuff pronto. But you cannot expect the newbies to perform flawlessly, they have issues sometimes, their gear is not good, not min maxed, their skills are not honed.

They do NOT belong in a prospective raid/hardcore dungeon at this gear and experience level.

If a hardcore raid is what they seek, they should go through the motions, gear up, and after that attempt the difficult runs.

We should not make ALL content with fully casual players in mind. SOME content (think about 1 raid/module) should be targeted at geared, skilled and experienced players, above pug level, willing to organize and communicate.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Casuals can have all the dailies that they want.

Hardcore players want 10-man raids, new pvp modes and harder dungeons with guaranteed loot drops for profit so that these dungeons are farmable.

We got a lot of dailies in the 4 modules, how about some endgame content now?