test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rhix's Bargains: Sergeant Knox is Bound!

Comments

• Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Non-augment and non-healer companions are for novelty purpose anyway. They don't have the actual value in combat.
  • Options
    unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like the idea someone suggested about 'lottery tickets' at a price that everyone can afford, at least for future events like this. That way everyone can have a chance, albeit some smaller than others, of getting a prize. Not rich enough to take part in this event, but I'll be following the bidding war closely for many lulz, wonder how high the bids will be when I get back from work in a few hours. xD
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You can get 10bil from doing leadership?

Yes you can, given enough time. For example, I'm doing ca 200k daily, with leadership + invoking only. That means 100m in less than 2 months. I do not have that much only because I do not hoard AD, spending it on fun stuff instead.

Ofc, you can only have 100m on 1 char, but you can have 50 chars...

And I could make much more daily if I had more time for playing.
  • Options
    capkokocapkoko Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    in my opinion ITs A TRAAAP!!!!
    if they put this comp at an insane price those exploiters will buy it and then they will see their logs to see how they got so much. There are still a lot of undiscovered exploiters out.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    Yes you can, given enough time. For example, I'm doing ca 200k daily, with leadership + invoking only. That means 100m in less than 2 months. I do not have that much only because I do not hoard AD, spending it on fun stuff instead.

Ofc, you can only have 100m on 1 char, but you can have 50 chars...

And I could make much more daily if I had more time for playing.

You can also get 10bil from farming tier 1 dungeons given enough time
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If only he was useful...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    runebane wrote: »
    Doesn't really make any sense. I see no reason why they wouldn't be watching the logs of everyone who has a ton of AD/Zen anyway. Its just common sense. Even if they didn't exploit per se, its a good idea to do this to keep up with how people are making money in their game.

They don't even watch the logs when a player tries to prove one lost something expensive because of their fault so I don't think they care enough of those exploiters. Just remember what they said to Nightmare lockbox case. "Congratulations, you've won the game by an exploit! We are fine with that"
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you play(ed) before the PWI game, you/ll see that PWE sometimes adds skill books on the special auction (not the player's auction) and they start to bid from 1 gold. 1 gold is very cheap compared to the gold shop price of that item/or players selling price but those arent very useful items to everyone, just class related book-skills.Same for mounts ,starts from very cheap but in 3 hours or so ,gets very high bids such as 20 gold or more.
    So i can predict the starting bid will be very small but if its a companion which is recommended for more players (not only DPS ,but for tankers too) then the prices will go up enough in 3 days that we might see it at around 10 mil AD.

The pet stats will make it more valuable or not for some players.
    If the pet will have something like ..+ 3% critical active bonus then the DPS players will bid for it more. Tankers i doubt that will want it as long as +3% critical for a guardian fighter (epic dungeon tanker) is pretty useless.
    Some players might buy it only for the active slot bonus and showing off , just like the pig companion or something but not using it every day.

Oh, and the active bonus or skills better work , not bugged or only on description to see different percentages, as everyone said about the Angel of Protection companions
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    They don't even watch the logs when a player tries to prove one lost something expensive because of their fault so I don't think they care enough of those exploiters. Just remember what they said to Nightmare lockbox case. "Congratulations, you've won the game by an exploit! We are fine with that"

I still think they didn't want to take away those mounts, not that they couldn't. Imo, they just didn't want to be the bad guy after they goofed so hard. Hopefully this last major thing has them alarmed. Which would explain the account maintenance and exchange reset. As well as this promotion to drain 500mil from the economy.

Either way its kind of funny. I won't participate in it. I don't have 100mil, and even if I did I wouldn't spend it on Knox. But if he makes someone, somewhere happy... I say go for it. To each their own.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    runebane wrote: »
    I still think they didn't want to take away those mounts, not that they couldn't. Imo, they just didn't want to be the bad guy after they goofed so hard. Hopefully this last major thing has them alarmed. Which would explain the account maintenance and exchange reset. As well as this promotion to drain 500mil from the economy.

Either way its kind of funny. I won't participate in it. I don't have 100mil, and even if I did I wouldn't spend it on Knox. But if he makes someone, somewhere happy... I say go for it. To each their own.
    They could give him better active bonus at least. +300 defense is just not epic enough for NPC quest giver.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I do admit that having Knox as a travel companion would be so cool, but I don't understand why so many complain that this is some kind of "reward" for the "lucky" players, or "exploiters", or whaterver. Yes, it is aimed at the very rich players, because they want to remove AD from the market. This will benefit everyone in the long run.
    I think that the Man at Arms companion gives the same active bonus, and you can upgrade him gradually, at your own pase, and probably for less AD. What I mean is that there's no unfair advantage for the players that will win this companion.
    I'm just happy to see that Cryptic is fially taking some steps to combat the AD inflation, and I hope they will give the rest of us a chance at a Knox companion in the future.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »
    I do admit that having Knox as a travel companion would be so cool, but I don't understand why so many complain that this is some kind of "reward" for the "lucky" players, or "exploiters", or whaterver. Yes, it is aimed at the very rich players, because they want to remove AD from the market. This will benefit everyone in the long run.
    I think that the Man at Arms companion gives the same active bonus, and you can upgrade him gradually, at your own pase, and probably for less AD. What I mean is that there's no unfair advantage for the players that will win this companion.
    I'm just happy to see that Cryptic is fially taking some steps to combat the AD inflation, and I hope they will give the rest of us a chance at a Knox companion in the future.

The max ZEN backlog this event will remove is 1M. Yes, it's a nice chunk, but not much of a sink if you ask me. Especially since some guys got a bit defensive with their "savings" due to the last ban wave and didn't throw as much onto the market. So the decrease of the backlog could be misleading.
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It is a huge problem for us that want to complete collections. The fact he is part of the collection menu is absolutely stupid. He should be just like all the random promo code companions that do not show up on the list.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    They could give him better active bonus at least. +300 defense is just not epic enough for NPC quest giver.

I'm actually fine that he only is a trophy sort of. If he got a great active bonus and five exploiters would be able to get him? Thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    I'm actually fine that he only is a trophy sort of. If he got a great active bonus and five exploiters would be able to get him? Thanks but no thanks.

I am not talking about good active bonus like Lightfoot has but something unique and interesting. Like in case with Gond's artifact active, it doesn't grant you a great advantage but is still somewhat useful :P
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    A wizard who refuses to use steal time, feels justified to pass any kind of judgement of "value in combat"? Well, now i've seen everything. Personally, I feel tank pets are in some ways more useful then healer pets, especially ones ranked up to 30.
    Tank companions are useful to players who are leveling. But ultimately they still become useless in high end contents. Relying on a companion for tanking in epic dungeons isn't a very good choice.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am glad it will be BoP!

I personally don't even care about having one for myself as it violates my love for real role-playing (how can you have Knox standing next to you while you talk to another NPC Knox?). Plus a 300 defense bonus is not that exciting to me.

People can theorize all they want about the economic impact. In the end, they are all theories. The true impact will reveal itself after the auction is done - check the ZAX then and see if the backlog has dropped.

To me, the most entertaining part of this auction will be AFTER the auction ends and the Knox's are awarded. I want to see all FIVE of the Knox companions grouped together. That would be funny! :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    translucentwolftranslucentwolf Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is no 'market' for this particular item. Any new / rare companion would cost millions of AD. Look at the Priestess of Sune. It's 2.8 million and up. And, mechanically, it's no better than the 2gp cleric, with a few hundred K spent to bump it's grade to blue.

Knox will be the 'rarest' companion out there. There are 5 ( this year, anyway ). If it was a random drawing, you'd have a tiny chance of getting one. It probably wouldn't go up on the AH at all. Not that 700 or so Priest of Sune clerics have been distributed, and there's only a dozen on the AH.

Learn to get along without it. Learn to play the game and not care about 'perfect' and 'r10' gear.

Or just settle down, grind for a year, and slowly buy yourself a set.

You grind, or you pay. Don't complain that someone else with the same choices you have made those choices earlier.
  • Options
    stevebobbstevebobb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited September 2014
    There is no 'market' for this particular item. Any new / rare companion would cost millions of AD. Look at the Priestess of Sune. It's 2.8 million and up. And, mechanically, it's no better than the 2gp cleric, with a few hundred K spent to bump it's grade to blue.

Knox will be the 'rarest' companion out there. There are 5 ( this year, anyway ). If it was a random drawing, you'd have a tiny chance of getting one. It probably wouldn't go up on the AH at all. Not that 700 or so Priest of Sune clerics have been distributed, and there's only a dozen on the AH.

Learn to get along without it. Learn to play the game and not care about 'perfect' and 'r10' gear.

Or just settle down, grind for a year, and slowly buy yourself a set.

You grind, or you pay. Don't complain that someone else with the same choices you have made those choices earlier.

this is the secret to playing this game
  • Options
    tagnusironsordtagnusironsord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What I don't see here is something pretty minor, but I'm curious anyway....

What is the Knox companions ...attitude? (Not quite right.. sorry, still early for my brain).. As in, is he like the Man-At-Arms that will stand there watching you get kicked around the area 'til you're half-dea and then realise there's a fight happening, or will he be like the Sell Sword, that's already off and fighting mobs when your screen finishes resolving from a load-in?

I have no intention of trying for the companion.. experience has shown that he'll undoubtably be available in 3-6 months in some other, more likely cheaper, way.

As for the Lottery idea mentioned a few pages ago.. I'd buy into it, if the tickets were reasonably priced. For 500-1000 AD or somesuch, wouldn't be hard to assign a number (doesn't even have to be random) to the player, email it to them, and compare against the server side database to pick the winners on Saturday mornings or whenever.

Another idea... a gambling house of some sort (put it in the back room or basement of a tavern, for the classic feel)..
    Years ago I developed a world and hosted it with the NWN toolset/server client.. I had a 'gaming room' set up in the back room of a seedy dive bar in the Docks district (you knew it was a dive because the air was smokey, there were drunk NPCs around the place - inside and out - and strippers on the stage..). They were run by little scripts that ran BlackJack, 'Slot Machines', Over/Under, roulette.. Some players would kill time waiting for friends to log in by playing the games, and sometimes come away with more gold than they started with.

In addition to AD payouts other things could be thrown in like 5 companion upgrade tokens, an enchanted key, A teleport to PE scroll...
  • Options
    omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have no intention of trying for the companion.. experience has shown that he'll undoubtably be available in 3-6 months in some other, more likely cheaper, way.

I agree, I was a winner of the "only available here" armored bear mount just to see them available 2 weeks later....
    A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also to be included in that value is the companion's current exclusivity (only 5 being put up for auction). Some folks will go a long way for something super-exclusive even it it's just a hat.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    that doesn't stop people from getting it while it's exclusive, I can assure you that the 5 Knox-es will go for a lot of AD.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Had to chop out half the thread for being accusatory and otherwise flame bait.

I'm going to make this point clear: The forums are not the place to discuss bad behavior in any way, shape, or form. This includes making any sort of accusations, broad or otherwise, direct or indirect.

If I or any other moderator has to prune the thread for this again, it's going to be closed down.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can tell you there are some serious strains amongst some of us with a bit of AD. I'd say I would be one of the people capable of picking up Sergeant Knox, but I honestly don't know how much I'm willing to pay. I spent a loooooooooot of time bid sniping to blow it on a hat...of which I probably will.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have a bit of a different concern about the companion: is it really a good idea to allow for the sight of Knox bent over on the ground because a critter bested him (like every other companion)? I remember back when Lord British was supposed to be unkillable until people figured out that in Ultima III they could kill him if they lured him out of the castle first. That didn't go over well at *all*, and Richard Garriott made sure that he really *was* unkillable in Ultima IV.

Knox is supposed to be somewhat larger-than-life. Is it really a good idea to reduce him to the level of a companion?

(yes, I really did play Ultima III, and I still have the ankh and cloth map somewhere -- back when the land was still called Sosaria)
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khimera906 wrote: »

The Man-at-arms does, though even at rank 30 I find him to be far too squishy. If I need to stack defense (as well as need a defender) I go for the rank 30 frost mimic instead.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hustin1 wrote: »
    I have a bit of a different concern about the companion: is it really a good idea to allow for the sight of Knox bent over on the ground because a critter bested him (like every other companion)? I remember back when Lord British was supposed to be unkillable until people figured out that in Ultima III they could kill him if they lured him out of the castle first. That didn't go over well at *all*, and Richard Garriott made sure that he really *was* unkillable in Ultima IV.

Knox is supposed to be somewhat larger-than-life. Is it really a good idea to reduce him to the level of a companion?

(yes, I really did play Ultima III, and I still have the ankh and cloth map somewhere -- back when the land was still called Sosaria)

And yet Lord British was yet again killable (although extremely hard to do so) in Ultima 6 and 7 as I recall. I could be wrong about the 7 part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I believe it's just the novelty of it, not how useful Knox is gonna be as a companion, but a lot of people will want him.
    From what I've seen on the Wiki he doesn't have any power that produces extra threat, but he does have a lot of damage mitigation. My Rust monster has 3 Thickgristle's Sturdy Belts, and HP in it's defense slots, and, along with debuff powers, it cant take a surprising amount of punishment ... for a companion. Too bad it can't draw agro :) . What I'm trying to say is some companions can (kinda) tank.
    Hopefully Knox won't be a joke - I would really hate that.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.