Options

Pity the poor new players

2»

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    A untrained monkey could lvl to 15 in a few mins, not that big of a challenge, and if someone is having a problem getting to 15 theirs no way their gonna make it to 60 so this is not really even an issue (its only in your heads). Good change hopefully it works in reducing spam.

If it's trully that easy, how is this an effective stopgap for spammers?

It honestly seems like the arguments are at odds with each other. If getting to 15 is really not a problem to a new player, then it won't be a problem to spammers with money, experience, and resources. However, if it's something that can be a detriment to spammers, with money, experience, and resources. How then, can you honestly say it won't effect new players?
  • Options
    sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    If it's trully that easy, how is this an effective stopgap for spammers?

It honestly seems like the arguments are at odds with each other. If getting to 15 is really not a problem to a new player, then it won't be a problem to spammers with money, experience, and resources. However, if it's something that can be a detriment to spammers, with money, experience, and resources. How then, can you honestly say it won't effect new players?
    So then why do you lock the door at your house when your not home if robbers really wanted to get in they could drill the lock or break the window. It won't stop all spammers but it will be a little more of a hindrance for them unlike the "open door" previously.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    So then why do you lock the door at your house when your not home if robbers really wanted to get in they could drill the lock or break the window. It won't stop all spammers but it will be a little more of a hindrance for them unlike the "open door" previously.

It's not the same argument because I'm not letting the public in my house. This is more akin to a business locking its doors during the day with a sign saying by appointment only. It's a system that hinders both customer and criminal in the same manner.
  • Options
    wachumpongwachumpong Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Can't post in zone or trade chat until level 15?
    I understand that this is aimed at the 'gold' spammers, but brand new players are going to be really hurt by this more than them. While I too get frustrated at times over the same questions being asked over and over and over again, especially when the answer(s) are in the quest texts that the questioner(s) have obviously not bothered to fully read, I believe that this new policy may have a deleterious effect upon truly new mmo players that don't know their way around, and may (probably?) cause some to just quit in frustration.

Is it truly so hard to write an algorithm that bans / silences spammers after x number of people 'report spammer' on them?
    Or, even better, if they post the EXACT same message that x number of spammers have already been reported for, then ban / silence them even before the rest of us see that spam message again.
    This would slow / stop the spammers better, in my opinion, than this new level 15 requirement. Bots can run the tutorials and Foundries to get to 15 too easily. This new policy is NOT going to have any effect in the long run except to chase away new players.

whats wrong with this guy? its so easy to reach lvl 15 here, also NW has a guide what to do if you are new tsk tsk tsk
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    It's not the same argument because I'm not letting the public in my house. This is more akin to a business locking its doors during the day with a sign saying by appointment only. It's a system that hinders both customer and criminal in the same manner.

Baseless Assumptions and Speculation! Good Job
  • Options
    jdmo213jdmo213 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Gold spammers are the one thing I hate the most. Been enjoying this game, but just turn off the chat

I mean really how hard is it for the devs to just bann the spamers. Really just have someone watch the chat a few hours a day
  • Options
    l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At this point, I almost want to assume that anyone who is fervently against the chat restrictions has something to lose because of them.

*whistles tunelessly while walking away*
  • Options
    panikswitchpanikswitch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As a new player to this game I will take a second to voice my opinion. I actually assumed I couldn't use the system until an actual lvl was reached and I never even attempted to use it until I was above lvl25. I had a moment where I did have concerns over something but I asked my guild. I feel that there are several ways of getting around the restriction for new gamers and if putting a lvl cap on chat helps rid some of the spammers, I am all for it.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    new players also can come to the forums to ask questions. they're not limited to in-game chat or now the lack thereof.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    As a new player to this game I will take a second to voice my opinion. I actually assumed I couldn't use the system until an actual lvl was reached and I never even attempted to use it until I was above lvl25. I had a moment where I did have concerns over something but I asked my guild. I feel that there are several ways of getting around the restriction for new gamers and if putting a lvl cap on chat helps rid some of the spammers, I am all for it.

+1 to a real new players input!
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We will see. If we see less gold spammers. Yay. If they are back by tonight. What did we just do?
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A large proportion of the newer playerbase will probably make their way over from Steam, would be handy if you could at least pop a sticky in the community hub there with all the essential links...
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Perhaps a solution would be to place characters that just finished the tutorial into a little lobby area, where there are some NPCs that can provide answers to many common questions, (things like stats, different power types, etc). Provide some target dummies so players can test things out, and maybe one of the clerics like from Gauntlgrym to remove any injuries just in case they sustained one during the tutorial.

I think the chat limitation will help more than it hurts, as those first 15 levels fly by rather quickly. Just make it clear to these new players that they will have to stick to local, team, and guild chat until they reach level 15.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Plus going lvl 1-15 takes less than a day.
  • Options
    xatriuxatriu Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A chat restriction until you hit a specific level is not a new phenomenon. Unless a player is new to mmo's all together, the using zone chat restriction until level 15 shouldn't be very shocking.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014

Yep, quite. Lots of MMOs restrict chat and mail at low levels, and I haven't yet heard of it causing spontaneous human combustion.
  • Options
    l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xatriu wrote: »
    A chat restriction until you hit a specific level is not a new phenomenon. Unless a player is new to mmo's all together, the using zone chat restriction until level 15 shouldn't be very shocking.

Yes. It should have been a part of the game since launch. A lot of us tried to tell the devs back then that they needed this. Now they just have to pseudo-randomize respawning skill node placement after use, and NWO might almost look like a real "grown-up with big-boy pants" MMO!

:)
  • Options
    huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is pretty much the first MMO I've played, and I don't see a problem with the limitations. Everything up to Level 15 is pretty self explanatory, and if they really get stuck there's plenty of info here on the forums. My first character is around level 27, and I don't think I even used chat until around level 17-20, when someone offered to team up for a run.
  • Options
    furycury82furycury82 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would propose, just like forum moderators, there should be a few hand selected "full time" players, that are game moderators. When said game moderator marks someone as spam they are then reviewed for banning. Not sure how hard it would be in the game files to give flagged playes as moderators an extra option to mark as a 3rd party vendor.

I played Diablo 2 back in the day, and the spamming was just as bad, if not worse. You could download, a 3rd party program, to auto squelch all the spammers when you logged in. If moderators cant be done, how about a legit add on to NW that blocks chars/account that have been flagged for spam more than 50 or so times? If any legit player has an issue with that, they also have an issue with ctrl-c/ctrl-v.
  • Options
    matkempmatkemp Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For me this is a step in the right direction. Gold sellers are a right in the rear.

Level 15 isn't to hard to reach, maybe a few hour to someone who knows what they are doing.

It will certainly slow the gold spammers down, as they will now have to work for a few hours to get out 1 or 2 spam messages in zone chat to get that account banned.
  • Options
    rafaustrafaust Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Who uses these Gold and AD resellers and why? It's so easy to make AD and Gold in this game. If no one used these spam bots I'm sure they would go away quickly, unless they're just spamming for the fun of it, which is very unlikely.
  • Options
    poisoncloverspoisonclovers Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i hot level 60 on my warlock without saying as much as hi in the chat. lol.. they will be fine.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Closing this down as it just opens the door to discuss bad behavior, which isn't allowed.
This discussion has been closed.