test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive stuttering

Comments

• zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There was a crash bug on preview that got fixed at the last minute for our processors. But now it stutters/jitters really bad.

A temporary fix--which also worked with the crash bug--is to disable 4 of our cores. I do it through task manager.

Start the launcher (but don't click play). Open task manager, click show processes for all users. You may need to escalate privileges at this point. Right click the Neverwinter exe and select set affinity. Then uncheck every other core (so 1, 3, 5, and 7). Click OK. Now click play on the launcher.

After that things are smooth again, but I have to go through this each time I play and I don't think it's good for the processor long term. Hopefully they figure it out soon. They had to order hardware to fix the crash bug.

Edit: That at least works for me on Windows 7 Home Premium and my processor is AMD FX 8350, ATI 7850 video card.
  • darliraadarliraa Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, whatever it is, it also affects the intro movie with character creation. Frustrating to say the least. Trying zomd's method, to at least get a look at the Draginkin
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    zomd's method does work. well.

i hope they release a performance patch soon.
  • zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not my method; someone else was kind enough to post their solution(s) for the crash in the preview forum. And another person mentioned it worked for the subsequent stuttering.

But I'm glad it's working, for my sake as well. :)
  • frumious5frumious5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Considering how many hours I tend to put in every day playing NW, I think I'll just wait until the bug is fixed rather than risk my processor. In light of the number of users who must be having the same problem, it would be poor customer service indeed if it takes very long to get done. Meanwhile, I'll save a bunch of money not buying Zen for a game i can't play. And if it doestake an inordinate amount of time, there's plenty of room in my recycle bin.
  • thetrueunderdogthetrueunderdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is it possible that i get some help with what i think is a framerate issue? Ive played neverwinter before with graphics turned all the way up, and had no problems. Now after i patched the newest patch, it looks like its skipping frames. Any advice will help, ive tried just about everything!
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    turn of cores if got fx6 or fx8 cpu
  • thetrueunderdogthetrueunderdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I use a AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight Core Processor, how can i go about doing that?
  • laserducklaserduck Member Posts: 44 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    Can you confirm that having access to 6 or 8 cores actually causes a lower framerate? We would be interested in fixing this.

Rob
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    seems like neverwinter is hogging about 2 mil memory for some reason. don't remember it ever being that high.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    laserduck wrote: »
    Can you confirm that having access to 6 or 8 cores actually causes a lower framerate? We would be interested in fixing this.

Rob

i dont use amd i cant even log in game keep on crashing on cryptic loading can u pls vist bug forum u got whole thread there with ppl who have similar problem

yes i can confirm it all ppl who have fx 6 and fx 8 have chopy game lots of ppl posted and said it that turning of cores helped some ppl with 8 threaded intels have problems to with chopy game but turning cores of dose not helps them how much i know

sry for bad eng i hope u understanded me
    edited August 2014
    laserduck, i've got an AMD FX-8120 and i experience a consistent stutter that i'm not sure i'd call it a frame-rate issue, but it is a graphical problem where the game has a slight pause consistently every second or so.

this can be resolved by changing the affinity of the neverwinter.exe process in the task manager after starting the launcher. i can limit the number of cores and then run the game and voila! no stutter. i've only changed this once but it was AWESOME. i turned off cores 0, 2, 4 and 6.

thanks for the attention to this issue. :D
    edited August 2014
    14747543150_475554b0d1_o.jpg
    fps graph without changing affinity

14747542600_264144ffba_o.jpg
    fps graph with changing affinity

right click and select view image to see the full resolution.
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    laserduck wrote: »

Rob

There was an issue with amd 6/8xx cores, making the game crash after character selection screen, but if dissabled cores 4~6,4~8, the game runs perfectly fine, that was on preview, and last week it was still unfixed, i haven't tested re-enabling the cores on live yet.
    Just a question, the weapon on sw booster pack are t1 that empower as your lv up?

sorry for my bad english.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I too am experiencing the issue, and can confirm that setting the affinity helps. Does it make a difference as to which cores you assign the game?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • varkirielvarkiriel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tried this and while it solved the stuttering every other second problem. It started causing the game to freeze randonmly for 5-10 seconds. Needless to say this has made doing dailies a little challenging. It's been so bad, that I went back to using all cores. AMD FX-8350 & Radeon 7870 LE
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All I can say since the m4 patch I had no problems with fps, at all. What is more odd - I can finally play it on the best visual setting without any major lag (hardware). First time since m1.
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Laser I also have an AMF FX 8 core. For the longest time I set the bios to one core per module. When y'all patched the fix a few days ago I changed my bios back to 8 cores.

It has been smooth sailing for me. Not one single crash. Prior to the patch I would crash often and frequently with 8 cores enable. And I am talking some marathon sessions since mod 4 went live.

I am gonna have to say the fix for the AMD 8 cores works, so might need to look at other issues on each person system having issue. Graphics card? GPU Drivers? System drivers? Are they the latests? Check their internet connections with you tool. If they are using DX11 but their card only supports DX 9. Or if on DX11 switching to DX9.
    edited August 2014
    i can tell you i am using an AMD Radeon HD 6700 with updated drivers and i've tried reducing my settings, changing DX and the fps peaks still happen. the only thing that eliminates it is reducing the number of cores. i currently use cores 1, 3, 5 and 7 for neverwinter.

i was getting long fps freezes while i was running the on-screen fps tools in neverwinter. when i start that it says that /MAXfps is enabled and that performance will be affected. you can see it on my screenshots on the first page of this thread.
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    All I can say since the m4 patch I had no problems with fps, at all. What is more odd - I can finally play it on the best visual setting without any major lag (hardware). First time since m1.
    Strange, but I also feel the game a bit snappier since M4 :) (Intel Q9300 with GTX 660)
  • frumious5frumious5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tried out the temp fix. it works... temporarily. then the game starts locking up for a few seconds intermittently. but at least i can get some dailies done :)
  • forumsheikforumsheik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So does this thread calming down mean everyone just disabled cores? I've tweaked almost every setting I can, and nothing helps.

Any word from developers that this even exists? I only see 2 different threads about this when searching, although 'stuttering' may not be the term some people are using. (seems some people only know the word 'lag' when it comes to framerate type issues).

I got into a beta for another game for the weekend, and considering there are thousands of new players, the gameplay is as smooth as can be. i can run any other game I own and have absolutely no problems.

I still think with the new module, they replaced some files that have bad default values/settings. I'm not gonna bother looking through .ini files and the like, but figured someone would have by now, and found something obvious.

If the shader compile error made it through to release, I can only imagine that other problems, not nearly as obvious, got through.

Sorry, got a bit rambly there, but just curious why everyone just stopped talking about it, as if it's fixed. Or did everyone do like I did and just find something else to play?
  • mamorukmamoruk Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    getting the same problem on my end as well. Not sure how comfortable i am with doing the core disabling...

AMD FX-8350 8-core
    Nividia GTX 660
  • varkirielvarkiriel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Alternating the cores doesn't work for me, that just causes the game to crash when trying to load, only 0-3 or 4-7 works for me. Change from DX11 to DX9 and that seemed a little better, less freezing.
    edited August 2014
    Well I uuse FX 8120 OC 4400
    Cfire HD 7770 OC

Try diabling in game options Digital Signal Processing under audio?
    edited August 2014
    When setting core affinity to use just one core per module see table below

0-1
    2-3
    4-5
    6-7

Windows will always use 0 for stuff even with the affinity set.
    Are how the modules are set up in windows. each set is a module. Best to use 1,3,5,7

By the way I am just trying to help with the tricks I have used since Beta.
  • laserducklaserduck Member Posts: 44 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    Thank you, everyone. This should be sufficient information. We'll fix it ASAP. In general, the game should be a bit snappier. ;)
  • darliraadarliraa Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry to the original poster of the "fix" zomd mentioned. I also found that it was a temp fix, with major pauses without any warning. Frustrating if you just started a battle with a 'near elite' boss at the end of a quest chain. Got rid of that problem by dropping to 2 cores. Game was sluggish, but playable, at least for my 4Ghz AMD Blackline CPU running it that way.
  • szasstammszasstamm Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Amd 8350 same issue
  • kobosskoboss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have an AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor the same CPU as Dragoness10. with 16gb RAM. I disabled 2 of the 6 cores and i'm not stuttering any more.
This discussion has been closed.