What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive stuttering

124»

Comments

• laserducklaserduck Member Posts: 44 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    zomd wrote: »
    Thanks! And thank you to the devs as well for getting this fixed. :)

Edit: Wow. It's a huge improvement. Thanks. Just tested a little bit in the dread ring. I probably won't understand it, but what was it about our processors that were causing the stuttering?

It has to do with some new code we introduced using worker threads to take advantage of extra cores. It wasn't playing nice with the AMD FX's. We don't know why that is yet, but we just dialed it back a bit. You should still be getting really great CPU performance from those machines now.

Rob
  • szasstammszasstamm Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just wanted to say thanks for keeping us updated and getting a fix out to us so quickly.
  • vulcanlionheartvulcanlionheart Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thanks ,turning off 4 cores worked perfectly.. confirmed..
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    laserduck wrote: »
    It has to do with some new code we introduced using worker threads to take advantage of extra cores. It wasn't playing nice with the AMD FX's. We don't know why that is yet, but we just dialed it back a bit. You should still be getting really great CPU performance from those machines now.

Rob

Hmm, last time I saw something tanking when threaded heavily on AMD, it was because they have relatively poor single thread performance, and everything was stalling waiting to synchronise. Maybe that's part of what you're seeing?
  • novietsnoviets Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Setting the affinity to 4 cores stops the consistant stutering, but it replaces that stuttering with a much much longer one after a longer amount of time has passed.

It's fairly random, it can happen once a minute, or even 5 minutes, but when it does, it freezes for around 10-20 seconds. Which to me is much much worse than a consistant set of 1 second long minifreezes.

Alot can happen during that time.

We will just have to wait till it gets fixed, because it is unplayable at the moment.

Atleast I know it's nothing to do with my drivers/bios/OC now, I was pulling my hair out for the past couple days going through every piece of hardware on my system.

Is there any news regarding the timeframe for a fix?
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    noviets wrote: »
    Is there any news regarding the timeframe for a fix?

this will be patched today! :)
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm having the same problems since the release of Mod4 with a FX 6300 - Radeon HD7870 - 8GB Ram.
    Hereunder the system summary:
    http://i58.tinypic.com/r1lvli.jpg

I would like to add that I'm having other problems with the new release:
    - Stuttering as already stated by many users
    - UI has many problems: PG faces are black (like covered by big black pixels), the chat area switch randomly between tabs, difficult drag n drop. Cannot say if its related with AMD issues. Anyone else with the same problems?
    I have all the drivers updated.

Anyhow, thank you for fixing the stuttering.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • darkdraykendarkdrayken Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same thing has been happening to me. Every once in a while the game freezes for a few miliseconds, really annoying stuttering. I kind of got used to it after playing so many hours the last few days but it's still an annoyance.

My CPU's an AMD 8350 and my GPU's a 7850.

• amberdzamberdz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you. This is the first time since last Thursday that I could be in game and not be on the verge of a migraine. Whatever you did is working for me. The stuttering was so bad that I was reduced to just invoking and not much else most days...just couldn't handle the migraine headaches it was giving me....lol

Thank you :)
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    this issue has been resolved so we're going to close this thread.

thanks to the diligence of the developers on this issue. :]
This discussion has been closed.