test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive stuttering

Comments

• thetrueunderdogthetrueunderdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    how would i go about turning my processors off?
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    if anyone is needing the directions on how to temporarily turn off cores, here's a link to that post:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?730351-Major-Stuttering&p=8722671&viewfull=1#post8722671
  • sanityleak195sanityleak195 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    laserduck wrote: »
    Thank you, everyone. This should be sufficient information. We'll fix it ASAP. In general, the game should be a bit snappier. ;)

Happy Day. Well, happy when patched. But that in itself is good news! Thanks all
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just disabled cores 0 & 1, and the problem went away. Still, I hope the fix is quick in coming...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • studg3studg3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you, everyone. This should be sufficient information. We'll fix it ASAP. In general, the game should be a bit snappier. ;)

Thank you laserduck,

A fix would be great! :-)

will all 6 & 8 core cpu players be getting compensation? ;-)

Cheers
  • swejuggaloswejuggalo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here is the method I followed. Just a regular shortcut. I still use all cores, just not the "fake/semi-real" cores with shared resources.

As I've written in my guilds RC channel:

AMD users may have issues with performance or even with being able to start the game. Currently, Preview refuses to start without crashing unless you make certain changes.

In my case, on an English Win8 and having installed the game from Arc, it solved my Preview server issue and gave me a huge preformance boost in the game aswell.
    I have an 8-core CPU from AMD. I needed to make sure the game laucher only uses core 0,2,4,6 or 1,3,5,7.

You can find how to create a short cut that does the same thing for you here:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40339-cpu-affinity-shortcut-program-create-windows.html

Open your shortcut and verfiy that it has this info (English OS and Arc install only. Variations depend on your installation and OS)

Target:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Neverwinter" /affinity 55 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe"

Start in:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en"

Here is also a picture of the shortcut properites Shortcut tab.
    https://db.tt/eqxTyR4e
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    if anyone is using this temporary work around and is getting long freezes after reducing your cores from 8 to 4, try bumping your cores up to 6. i'm currently using only cores 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. this eliminates the stutter and the long freezes for me.
  • mavlocmavloc Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So currently the game runs fine, aside from a slight stop-pause every few seconds. I am curious to why this is happening and what I can do to fix it. With my current rig, I would expect the game to run perfectly at max settings without any issues, but this slight pause is starting to get annoying.

My current set up is:
    AMD FX-8350 Octacore 4.1GHz
    NVidia 3GB GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    RAM 16 GB
    WD 4TB HDD
    Win7 64-bit

Additionally I have some attachments of my In-game settings.
    What might be causing this pause-lag? I'd like to note in the 4th Attachment, my FPS is cut in half when I turn around and run in the opposite direction.
  • wrathlonzwrathlonz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    anyone that has this stuttering have an 8 core processor? can you list your PC builds here?

Stuttering better description , glad i found this thread

Computer

ASRock 990 FX Killer Mobo
    AMD FX 8350 (8 core)
    16 gigs DDR 3 memory
    Geoforce GTX 680
    Samsung 250 SSD
  • mamorukmamoruk Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am getting worse results when i try to disable the cores. 6 cores still get freezing 4 cores wouldnt even start up. dunno if thats just my PC or what but yea.
  • szasstammszasstamm Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tried disabling cores fixes the stuttering but causes long pauses. game is unplayable for me in current state. any updates as to when we can expect this to be fixed ? btw ran fine before tyranny.
  • frufirefrufire Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    GeForce GTX 770
    AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor
    16.00 GB RAM
    1920 x 1080, 60Hz
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

I too am experiencing stuttering, brief pauses every half second. Very low FPS even with everything set to it's lowest. Purple spikes everywhere when running the FPS Graph.

I have found I am able to run the game by disabling cores 1, 3, 5, 7. I hope that a fix can be found which will incorporate using all the cores because multiple cores is becoming the norm now. On a side note I have found using only the 4 cores the game runs slightly cooler.
  • varkirielvarkiriel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    szasstamm wrote: »
    Tried disabling cores fixes the stuttering but causes long pauses. game is unplayable for me in current state. any updates as to when we can expect this to be fixed ? btw ran fine before tyranny.

Same for me.
    AMD-8350 8 core
    Radeon 7870 LE, Catalyst 14.4
    Win7, 16GB DDR3
    WD 1Tb SATA drive
    tried disabling alternate cores as some have suggested, eg 0, 2, 6... That causes the game to crash on loading screen. Turing off 0-3 or 4-7 works, but get game hangs for 5 - 10 seconds on a regular basis.
    Tried changing to DX9 and still has long pauses or stuttering depending on core count.
    Tried lowering graphics to minimum and same issues.

Finally I also tried cores, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 that got the game to load, but the stuttering was so bad, the game froze more than it moved, about 1 frame every 10 seconds
    Sadly the game is unplayable for me :(
  • yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Last night in the last half of Spellplague Caverns I would freeze every few seconds.

Almost like I was taking screenshots or something.

Audio seemed fine and I could hear the battle continuing in real time even as I "lagged".

No one else seemed to be having the issue.

Made the dungeon interesting for sure.
  • forumsheikforumsheik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Would be really nice to see 'we are aware of the issue and are working on it' or some sort of acknowledgement. My concern is that there aren't enough of us having the problem for anyone to care.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same problem massive stuttering

AMD FX-9590 (8 core) H-100 liquid cooled
    16gb 2133mhz ram
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3gb 384-bit
    MUSHKIN SSD 240G
    1920 x 1080 60hz
    Win 7

Never have any issues with any other game always run all games full graphics.
    The game is still playable but very annoying the stuttering ever minute or so.
  • frufirefrufire Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    forumsheik wrote: »
    Would be really nice to see 'we are aware of the issue and are working on it' or some sort of acknowledgement. My concern is that there aren't enough of us having the problem for anyone to care.

Actualy Laserduck responded on the 16th:

"Thank you, everyone. This should be sufficient information. We'll fix it ASAP. In general, the game should be a bit snappier. "

So they are working on a solution, potentially this affects everyone with 6/8 cores which I would imagine is quite a large player base.
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i'm seeing consistent periodic pauses in graphics like every 1.5 - 2 seconds... not to be confused with lag or fps issues. anyone else seeing this? i have an 8 core processor (FX-8120) and an AMD Radeon HD 6700 GPU... 8GB RAM. i'm curious to know if any other players that were unable to log into the preview shard prior to the late fix that occurred earlier this week are having this issue... that maybe it's related to us 8 core freaks.

i have reduced my graphic settings and i've changed my directX settings all around the world and i've even updated my graphic drivers (catalyst installs are the worst).

i'm hoping this can be identified and performance tweaked soon.

I have the exact same problem im also using an 8 core processor (fx-8350) and Geforce 760. My sister plays the game without any stuttering at all and she's on a 4 core processor, could that be the cause? The game isnt fully optomized for 8 cores? We're both playing at max graphics, granted she has a geforce 560 card, but id think the problem lies in the processor and not graphics.

My fell tech is:
    Win 7 64-bit
    16GB RAM
    8 Core 8350 4.0ghz
    Geforce 760GT
  • apasia73apasia73 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anyone that has this stuttering have an 8 core processor? can you list your PC builds here?

AMD FX 8320 Eight core, AMD Radeon HD 7800 series GPU. how do i turn cores off? and...why would i have too?
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    laserduck, i've got an AMD FX-8120 and i experience a consistent stutter that i'm not sure i'd call it a frame-rate issue, but it is a graphical problem where the game has a slight pause consistently every second or so.

this can be resolved by changing the affinity of the neverwinter.exe process in the task manager after starting the launcher. i can limit the number of cores and then run the game and voila! no stutter. i've only changed this once but it was AWESOME. i turned off cores 0, 2, 4 and 6.

thanks for the attention to this issue. :D

This helped for me, thank you!
    edited August 2014
    @frufire** BAH! Sorry, I coulda swore I hit 'reply with quote'

Yeah, you're right, that he said he'd pass it on. Not really the same as making a post that says "We are aware of the stuttering issue affecting some of our players. We are working hard....blah blah". Also, that was a couple of days ago now. In my previous experiences with game breaking issues for these type of games, is that people work through the weekend with semi-frequent updates on an ETA. The end of Monday, and no official announcement that I can find, doesn't inspire me with confidence that they're acknowledging it or even working on it.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Can you confirm that having access to 6 or 8 cores actually causes a lower framerate? We would be interested in fixing this.

Rob

I have 8 cores all available to Neverwinter, and my game play experience is quite fluid. PM me if you want my exact hardware configuration.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
    edited August 2014
    I have 8 cores all available to Neverwinter, and my game play experience is quite fluid. PM me if you want my exact hardware configuration.

When I see people with 6 or 8 core machines saying they don't have the problem, I become more convinced that it's not cpu related. It does seem obvious though, since only 1 or 2 people have said they have the problem with 4 or less cores. This is why gathering system specs from a few people is not a good way to resolve this. I think some people may be confusing this 'stuttering' with something else. I've seen a few people describe their problem, and it sounds similar, but they'll say 'every minute or two', not every second or so.

I used some of the console commands to watch framerate/latency/etc, and I did notice (though hard to see cause it's updated so fast) that right after the 'stutter', my ping jumps from 50-100, to 300'ish. Some people blamed it on lag the first day, which I thought was reasonable. Even saw some people claim the entire internet (in some areas) was experiencing issues. I've tested my connection to other game servers and can't find any other game that is affected.

Here's hoping they know more than they're telling us.
  • kzlskzls Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Both my husband and I are experiencing this on our desktops (essentially the same build):
    AMD 8 core (FX-8120) 3.11Ghz,
    8GB ram,
    64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate N,
    Radeon HD 6900 series graphics cards,
    7200 rpm sata HDDs.

Neither of us experienced any problem like this on Live prior to launch of Mod4 (and both of us had the "Crash at load" bug on test).
    For both of us, disabling 4 of our 8 cores as described above "fixes" the stutter (though the game will eventually error out if we play this way long enough)
    Turning the CPU/GPU sliders down to a minimum makes absolutely NO difference with the stutter, nor did disabling on-demand patching. The above method is the only way we've been able to fix it.
    Both of us also have Surface Pros that we will play on sometimes. Neither of those machines (one is a Surface Pro v1, one is a Pro v2) have any of the stutter issue.

It would seem to be correlated in some way to AMD 8 core processors, from what I've been seeing...
  • aryna69aryna69 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Effects 6 core as well not just 8. You can see it b4 you log on, the background particals move/stop move/stop. Im just at the char select screen so doubt its network related since its not totaly connected at that point anyway.

Idk if it helps but just noticed the same effect watching the UI background.

tnx

My Build

AMD FX 8350
    Nvidia GFX 760
    32 GB Sniper PC-1866 RAM
    ASUS 990 FX Motherboard
    Win 7 Ultimate
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    Check on Preview today after 5pm PST, we have a fix that will hopefully address these sorts of stuttering issues on AMD processors with more than 4 cores.
  • aryna69aryna69 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote: »
    Check on Preview today after 5pm PST, we have a fix that will hopefully address these sorts of stuttering issues on AMD processors with more than 4 cores.

Awesome! Thanks..I'll be sure to try it =)
  • zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote: »

Thanks! And thank you to the devs as well for getting this fixed. :)

Edit: Wow. It's a huge improvement. Thanks. Just tested a little bit in the dread ring. I probably won't understand it, but what was it about our processors that were causing the stuttering?
    edited August 2014
    Hrmm....The character select screen seemed ok to me, but maybe I didn't look close enough. And I wasn't saying it was 'network related', I just said my latency jumped when the framerate stuttered. I was saying, that the day of release, people said 'it's just because there are a lot of people playing...it's always this 'laggy' when a new module is released."

Again, I'm no game developer, but I mentioned what I did because I thought maybe the rendering engine is waiting on something, that seems to get 'dropped', then my latency spikes. Not sure there's a correlation, just stating what I saw. Sorry if I was unclear.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have:

Intel i7 2600K 3.40 GHz overclocked @3.8 GHz
    8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3072MB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I play via a 4G broadband, mobile dongle.

Gameplay and rubber-band bounce is SO much better than on my old 3G dongle.

But I get monstrous lag and stutter occasionally in dungeons, but no one else in the party does. Other times, other people complain of lag and stutter and I am fine. The most recent was an Epic Spellplague in one of the later Boss rooms - not the last Boss, but earlier on.

It was laggy, jittery and jumpy as hell and Stutter-a-Go-Go all over the shop. As soon as the battle finished, it was OK again.

I also got really bad lag and rubber banding in PvP a week or so ago; about the same time a lot of people were moaning about lag, Server Not Responding and server disconnects.

~
This discussion has been closed.