test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive stuttering

doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
My game is nearly unplayable, anyone know why I am having a major amount of stuttering? This is NOT rubber banding it is stuttering and its bad, was not like this when I played yesterday.
Post edited by doriangreigh on

Comments

• sapdragonsapdragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My game is nearly unplayable, anyone know why I am having a major amount of stuttering? This is NOT rubber banding it is stuttering and its bad, was not like this when I played yesterday.

I've had this too, but at different times to most other people that i know are affected by it. I assume that Cryptic is doing updates in the background of the servers? I'm from New Zealand though, and when i stutter, all the americans i play with are fine, and then when they lag/stutter, i'm fine.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You don't have a device (like Lucky Coin, or Pocket Possum) active do ya?

Edit- I don't have stuttering.. but did a week or two ago.. was unplayable.. turned out it was the pocket pet cooldown getting halfway down and starting over. and again, and again. It followed to other zones.. I actually had to enter a dungeon before the cooldown would get past half and then it completed normally and the stuttering stopped immediately. Only happened the once, and resulted from logging out with the thing active the time before. (Tried logging out for awhile to fix it and it had no effect) I've since logged out with it active with no prob, but thought someone else might have seen it.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    I've had this stuttering in pvp...I recall they said they were doing some graphics update etc so dunno if that had anything to do with it.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i'm seeing consistent periodic pauses in graphics like every 1.5 - 2 seconds... not to be confused with lag or fps issues. anyone else seeing this? i have an 8 core processor (FX-8120) and an AMD Radeon HD 6700 GPU... 8GB RAM. i'm curious to know if any other players that were unable to log into the preview shard prior to the late fix that occurred earlier this week are having this issue... that maybe it's related to us 8 core freaks.

i have reduced my graphic settings and i've changed my directX settings all around the world and i've even updated my graphic drivers (catalyst installs are the worst).

i'm hoping this can be identified and performance tweaked soon.
    edited August 2014
    anyone that has this stuttering have an 8 core processor? can you list your PC builds here?
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    anyone that has this stuttering have an 8 core processor? can you list your PC builds here?

I have an FX9370 8 core cpu, AMD R9 3GB video card (physical card says 7970).

I did the same fix that was listed in the preview server and shut off half the cores of my CPU and the stutter is now gone.
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    FX8350X8 with a 760GT card. Playing it through Steam at the moment, if thats any help. (had bad perfomance through steam compared to standalone launcher before)
    edited August 2014
    I also have just noticed that on the loading screen right before it displays your characters to select from, on the bottom left corner there is some sort of shader error message. That error message is present with all cores on and with half of them turned off. The error message I can't figure out how to capture as it is gone before I can even begin to write it down and there appears to be no way to copy it.
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    I also have just noticed that on the loading screen right before it displays your characters to select from, on the bottom left corner there is some sort of shader error message. That error message is present with all cores on and with half of them turned off. The error message I can't figure out how to capture as it is gone before I can even begin to write it down and there appears to be no way to copy it.

Yeah I saw that error message as well. I turned my shadows to low in options and my stuttering stopped, everything else is on max. *shrugs*
    edited August 2014
    i'll try to get this info to the CMs as i suspect it is an 8 core issue. at least i can get into the new mod but the stuttering is... starting... to wear... on me... if you... know what... i mean. :p
    edited August 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i'll try to get this info to the CMs as i suspect it is an 8 core issue. at least i can get into the new mod but the stuttering is... starting... to wear... on me... if you... know what... i mean. :p

I'm pretty sure it is indeed an 8 core "AMD" issue. I mentioned earlier there was a preview issue where the game would crash until you turned off half your cores, again here I did the same turned off half the cores and I no longer stuttered ....

I uh uh uhgree iiiiits raather annnnnoying and diffffiiicult to dededeal with.

I just need to remember how to set the affinity permanently to 4 cores instead of 8 so I don't forget every time I load up the game lol.

Much appreciated if that were an issue that got taken care of quickly but threading seems to be one of those things that is difficult to do in the programming world.
  • raoulduke21raoulduke21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same trouble here, ever since mod 4.
  • madtexicanmadtexican Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am experiencing the same stuttering issue. I am also running an 8 core processor (Fx-8350) AMD Radeon HD 6900 GPU and 16GB of RAM.
    Game is pretty unplayable at the moment. Hope this gets look into as soon as possible.

I was experiencing absolutely zero problems running Neverwinter pre Mod 4 patch.
  • lucifus1lucifus1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same here. constant stuttering. AMD fx-6300. geforce gtx 760. no problems before module 4.
  • mss10001amss10001a Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same here. AMD fx-6100, AMD 7850. With /fpsgraph 1 you can see the purple peaks. No problems before module 4. Same problem on preview.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor; RAM 8.00 GB; 64 bit operating system

My stuttering is worse when the house is all online. This too shall pass. It's jerky, but operable.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • sobekisobeki Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same of above issues. AMD fx 8350, stuttering every 1-2 sec along with crashs. Since mod4 were on PTR it was like that, but i thought they were fixing it before hiting live sv, unfortunately doesnt seems like :D
  • sanityleak195sanityleak195 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same as all the above. You can watch it hit with the /fpsgraph 1. Occurs regardless of windowed, full screen windowed, full screen mode, V sync on/off, min settings, maxed settings. Occurs indoors and out doors. Occurs in all zones. Occurs regardless of class/character/level. And it's annoying.
  • dingken98dingken98 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same here, its not the fps, internet connection or something like that. I have looked that up. And it almost looks like a "game-virus" hehe, i remember when i had one. Whenever i played certain games the fps was great, but it did periodically stutter/lag spike in maybe 0,5 seconds. It was a hidden process.... dont download weird **** kids ;/
    PS: I kinda got out of the subject lel.
  • forumsheikforumsheik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I too have this problem, and also an fx-8350. This issue came up a while back, but I thought I disabled gpu physx (or whatever it is) and it went away. After the update, I'm fairly certain my graphics settings were changed, unless I was unknowingly running dx9 this whole time. This time, turning off gpu physx didn't help, nor any other changes in the settings. I'd assume it's just server lag, but everyone would be screaming about it. I'm not saying it's not '8 core' related, but I'm not so sure yet. I never had to disable any cores to get anything running properly. I'm not saying others haven't, but I've had this machine for over a year with 0 cpu related issues. I'm gonna try to tweak more settings and see if anything changes, but I really don't have the time or patience to fix something that worked fine until yesterday. I can find something else to play.
  • devilinusdevilinus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    amd fx-8350 (8 core) gtx 770 / Same troble .
    But its help me, I ran another game (for example (dark soul 2) turned it to desktop and started Neverwinter/ so now its perfect.
  • rainbowtrenchesrainbowtrenches Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm also having notable fps slowdowns and some stuttering with an FX 6300 after today's patch (noticed it on the beta realm prior to this as well, and probably should have posted something but figured it was just the beta realm being glitchy, not an AMD code penalty that would make it live).
  • studg3studg3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same here!!!! :-(

AMD FX 8320 8 Core (non-overclocked)
    16gb RAm
    RAD HD 7870 2gb

Its like its Frame skipping, Anyone got a fix?
  • darliraadarliraa Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Having the same problem since the new module came out. AMD 8 core dual ati 7970's 32 Gb ram, 512Gb SSD.

DXDiag report exceeds upload limit for the forums, and exceeds allowed post length as well
  • sapdragonsapdragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm pretty sure it is indeed an 8 core "AMD" issue. I mentioned earlier there was a preview issue where the game would crash until you turned off half your cores, again here I did the same turned off half the cores and I no longer stuttered ....

I uh uh uhgree iiiiits raather annnnnoying and diffffiiicult to dededeal with.

I just need to remember how to set the affinity permanently to 4 cores instead of 8 so I don't forget every time I load up the game lol.

Much appreciated if that were an issue that got taken care of quickly but threading seems to be one of those things that is difficult to do in the programming world.

I run a INTEL i7, and I'm having the stuttering issue as well; so it's not only isolated to AMD.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have the stuttering as well. Playing the game in safe mode does not resolve the issue. Here are my PC Specs:

Operating System System Model
    Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 6/13/2013 6:52:22 PM ECS A960M-M3 1.0
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    3.50 gigahertz AMD FX-6300 Six-Core
    288 kilobyte primary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (3 total)
    Hyper-threaded (6 total) Board: ECS A960M-M3 1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5 12/06/2012
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    5000.88 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1675.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B ATA Device [Optical drive]

WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device [Hard drive] (3000.58 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WCAWZ0375031
    WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAZAL807943, rev 51.0AB51, SMART Status: Healthy 16362 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A1_DIMM0' has 8192 MB (serial number A1_SerNum0)
    Slot 'A1_DIMM1' has 8192 MB (serial number A1_SerNum1)
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • frumious5frumious5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    AMD FX-8150 8-core processor w. 8gb ram, GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Same problem, ever since mod4 update. Most annoying, ruins gameplay, so i won't be doing anything but invoke until it's fixed.
    At first i thought maybe an overheating issue, but i cleaned everything up and no help. From what I've been reading here, I now see there may be compatibility issues with the AMD-fx series. but then, what do I know?
  • jokerwild77jokerwild77 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same problem here. Didn't have any issues before module 4. AMD FX 8350 - 8GB - AMD Radeon R9 270
This discussion has been closed.