test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Making Boon Items Account Bound. Show your support.

juicebox87juicebox87 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PvE Discussion
Well I am surprised this hasn't happened yet especially with us now having five Boon tree's to grind out on every character. So the question is....how tired are you of grinding out boons over and over for new characters, and does that limit your ambitions in rolling new classes?

Very often I want to try new classes only to realize I will be forced to grind another 30-60 days worth of quests just to acquire the boons for these new characters. It is literally the reason why making new character and trying new things seems to be a drag in Neverwinter for me, and all my friends. How many times have you grind out your boons on multiple characters? Literally 30-60 Quests per day, per character is a daunting task that I don't believe gets any easier as time goes on, but what if it did.

What if for every character you complete boons on could help your other characters finish the boon quests quicker. What if all the materials needed to unlock boons, were Account bound, rather than character bound. This would not only give you more reason to continue to run the quests on all of your characters, even after completing them for a single character. This would not only speed up game play for those of us with 10 character slots, but would promote more balanced game play for those who aren't able to spend hundreds, upon hundred of dollars gearing a character to a 20,000 gear-score. It would allow people to balance time and focus the game play to help people tremendously. Not only that, it would promote the purchasing of character slots and Zen market items for new characters, such as shared bank slots. This is a win-win for all. (Boons only apply to level 60 characters)

Hopefully this thread will catch the attention of the programmers in a positive way, and help convey an opinion of the players that would benefit everyone on the server. Thank you for your time.
Post edited by juicebox87 on

Comments

• adamy2004adamy2004 Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That would be extremely helpful, and it would reward players who are very enthusiastic about the game, by playing multiple characters, and getting them to level 60.

Great idea!
    Don't waste my time.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think you should still have to work for them, but I think it should be fast-tracked once you've completed all on one char.

I don't really care if it still takes the same number of days and costs the same AD.. Just bill me. hahaha. (I mean that the costs don't bother me, and I'm not in a rush to get them. But the daily tedium of doing the same thing over and over, just to watch another drop make a tiny ring of ripples in that big ol' bucket...)
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    For Dread Ring you can ignore all the stupid dailies and just run the lairs, you'll have enough scrip, trust me... Sharandar is the only really annoying one, the fey sparks are the only thing slowing progress there (and the irritating 20 hour wait for everything but boons). But it still stands you can do the weekly only and buy concoctions and you'll complete it before 60 days. IWD relies on the reputation but you can start it fast by getting dread ring rank 3 boon within 10 days or so.

I've gotten all classes through the campaigns and the DC was the most recent, I got them all done in just over a month (by using the monster drops from other toons for campaign mats).

Leveling is so fast in this game that the campaigns and boons pretty much ARE our leveling...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juicebox87juicebox87 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yea I mean, You will still have to be level 60, and you can only effectively focus grinding out one Character at a time, or focus on two/three at a time. or One by One. The point is you get to choose rather than being FORCED to grind out every single character at a time.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No and I'd drop the xp for quests and kills by about 90% too as we level too fast.
    edited August 2014
    So in order to buy your way out of boon trees your looking at millions of AD, please don't make it sound so simple lol....... Not all of us can play this game 13 hours a day.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would love seeing some kind of shortcut. I currently have 9 lvl 60 characters and getting them all through shand, DR, and IWD was tedious in the extreme. Hours of mindless grinding dampened much of my overall enthusiasm for this game. Time grinding is NOT time playing. I'm not particularly excited about module 4 for this very reason (among others). YOur idea frees up time for playing. I support this.
    edited August 2014
    Grinding to level 60 without R8 or higher Azure, on a casual grind takes up to a week. Thats not bad, but at the same time most people look at a month or two months grind for gear, then 3-4 months grind for enchants and 3-4 months grind for Artifacts, why should boons be that difficult. So many other things require game-play and so many people play this game for months and dont get anywhere due to time spent in game is spent doing important things like upgrading the gear.
    edited August 2014
    Yea most of the people who will be against this only have 3-4 Characters, I have many and grinding these are not possible on the scale required to also gear those characters out.
    edited August 2014
    juicebox87 wrote: »
    So in order to buy your way out of boon trees your looking at millions of AD, please don't make it sound so simple lol....... Not all of us can play this game 13 hours a day.

Who are you replying to? Because I mentioned 'bill me,' but I wasn't suggesting buying my way out of anything.. it costs AD to open this or that already... and that's all I was talking about.

I was suggesting that we just pretend I went to DR, yawned, killed everything, shrugged and got my pass punched. I mean it's not like anything in any of these campaign zones is fight worthy. Most of them die if you look in their general direction. Even the lairs are like attending a birthday party for a 5 year old nephew. Noisy, but not a whole lot of fun. XD
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    edited August 2014
    Who are you replying to? Because I mentioned 'bill me,' but I wasn't suggesting buying my way out of anything.. it costs AD to open this or that already... and that's all I was talking about.

I was suggesting that we just pretend I went to DR, yawned, killed everything, shrugged and got my pass punched. I mean it's not like anything in any of these campaign zones is fight worthy. Most of them die if you look in their general direction. Even the lairs are like attending a birthday party for a 5 year old nephew. Noisy, but not a whole lot of fun. XD

No Im referring to the guy saying Shand boons are the only hard part of boons. Its currently 1 mil to buy your way out of IWD and 3-4mil to buy your way out of DR. Then months of grinding out Shand, or month if you play NW daily like a few but small portion of the community actually do. That is per character.
  • damsel1988damsel1988 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually I think companions should also be account bound not character bound. Sometime you spend a fortune on a companion and find out it would be much more suitable for one of your other characters.

I mean we should somehow be rewarded for creating more and more chars. It is only good for the producers business because we will probably be spending more money than if we had only one or two characters
    edited August 2014
    No Im referring to the guy saying Shand boons are the only hard part of boons. Its currently 1 mil to buy your way out of IWD and 3-4mil to buy your way out of DR. Then months of grinding out Shand, or month if you play NW daily like a few but small portion of the community actually do. That is per character.

Aaah, gotcha.. yeah, I tried out IWD and it was such a drag I just wrote those boons off.
    edited August 2014
    Thats highly disappointing that grinding out boons, over and over and over on new characters represents how difficult those new high level tree's are, granted. It takes 13 days for your first character to enter IWD. then 35 days of that to get the last boon from there. Even so, 13 Days to grind to get to IWD on the first character isnt bad in retrospect that everyone will have to do it at least once, but twice? 3 times.....4....5....6...7...8...9.....20? Wont happen.
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    " Those of us who have 10 charecters"

My question would be how did you get those extra character slots if you're not willing to spend "hundreds of dollars"?

I spend plenty of in game AD with one character. I spent my time going through the dailies, and earning boons. Quite frankly I have yet to get bored of dailies.

As stated elsewhere, and many times by me I do not grind nor farm. Perhaps that's why to me its not some "boring job" to level up new boons, or help others do it.

What about those of us whom have already put in all the time for boons etc only now to find out "hey you wasted time since Joe Schmoe now can skip all that"? I think you may have some pissed people here whom spent time and AD on it.

I imagine the recoding of the whole boon system to be account bound rather than character bound would be a Dev nightmare. It's restructuring an already existing system in place that has to cover six pathways of boons (Sharandar, Dread Ring, Icewind, Gauntelgrym PvP, Domination PvP, and Icewind PvP).

Just think about that a minute.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I only have 2 characters that are 60 right now (yay, finally my TR got to 60 and I am working on getting her to iwd so I can do the Vault of the 9 quest ^_^), but I am already feeling the strain of doing dailies on multiple characters. I would love to see a way to help out alts get through boons you've already completed on your main faster. This may not be a perfect solution (what the OP recommends), but its a step in a good direction me thinks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited August 2014

I have all the boons on 9 chars, and am working on 4 more currently, and a 5th once I get a SW.
    So I am one of those people who might be annoyed that others didn't have to work so hard.. except that I couldn't care less if they had to work as hard as I. It's a game.

Char slots are among the cheapest item in the game. And it is a very good investment, because one char can help the other.. pretty easy to figure out, I'm sure it needs no explanation.

Also, they don't disallow more than one account, as long as you are not using it in an abusive way.

I have 33 fully geared/maxed characters in Champions Online. Alts is what I do (the only reason I mention that.) I have never felt the need to worry about someone else getting an easier ride or a bigger payout than I did. I just want to enjoy the escapism, which is all this is.

The game is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be a break from the red-tape and b.s. politics of a real-world job, medical bills, lying politicians, and neighbors that live too damned close, no matter how far away the next one is. It shouldn't be a drag. XD
    edited August 2014

My question would be how did you get those extra character slots if you're not willing to spend "hundreds of dollars"?

I spend plenty of in game AD with one character. I spent my time going through the dailies, and earning boons. Quite frankly I have yet to get bored of dailies.

As stated elsewhere, and many times by me I do not grind nor farm. Perhaps that's why to me its not some "boring job" to level up new boons, or help others do it.

What about those of us whom have already put in all the time for boons etc only now to find out "hey you wasted time since Joe Schmoe now can skip all that"? I think you may have some pissed people here whom spent time and AD on it.

I imagine the recoding of the whole boon system to be account bound rather than character bound would be a Dev nightmare. It's restructuring an already existing system in place that has to cover six pathways of boons (Sharandar, Dread Ring, Icewind, Gauntelgrym PvP, Domination PvP, and Icewind PvP).

Switching something to account bound through re-coding cant be rocket science. as a matter of fact its been done overnight for alot of things. I probably have a collective 50 million worth of grind put into my characters. Did you think I just strolled in here and said, excuse me. But im lazy, please help. I spent 10$ to get 10 characters, My question is how long you have played this game with me having 3 Max geared/boon characters. I dont feel you understand how much of a grind it becomes.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Leadership and ZAX. Character slots are relatively cheap.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well it definitely has been a pain to get boons on 7 characters so far. They're not exactly fun the first time, let alone 7. The repetitiveness really gets to me.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sooner or later they have to come up with something to let people advance more quickly, because it's boring and repetitive. And boring. They already did it with that big XP boosters in the ZEN shop. I'm confident they'll add campaign boosters as well eventually.

What I'd like to see now and is not that much of a jump is adding campaign chests to the post 60 awards.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Indeed. As many more of my characters are approaching 60 or hitting 60, I am really feeling the repetitiveness. Allowing the past work of my other characters to help the progression of my new and future characters through Sharandar and Dread Ring would be most welcome. I still feel there needs to be some time spent there though. Mayhaps an NPC that converts our "Currency" tokens into Account Bound ones, which incur a loss, like trade 2 character bound tokens of the same type for 1 account bound token of the same type.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd love to see this but theirs no way its gonna happen it'd be like saying once you lvl 1 char to 60 all others should be 60 too cuz i don't want to go through the leveling process again, great idea but not realistic imho considering you can lvl to 60 in like 3 days
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I doubt it will ever happen, can't say I would be against it thought, I have 6 toons already and definitely going to get a 7th soon. However I also get to say what annoys me when I ask such questions, there is always the AH lol. You can technically buy the relics and such that you can trade for faster accumulation of what you need to get your boons. I don't' think that works for Sharrandar, but definitely works for Dread Ring and IWD if you have been able to justify spending AD on that future prospect. Have not priced the IWD ones lately but they started out kinda high and seemed to stay high, where as with the dread ring ones they started out fairly cheap (under 5k) and stayed under 10k for a long time.

I have 50 for IWD and can't decide if i'm going to sell them or use them because IWD has the rep system that really makes it so that just doing the dailies there will get you what you need by the time you unlock access to them. Dread Ring seems to be teh only one that you can use relics to basically go from 0 to all boons in under 20 minutes (think it takes 5 minutes to unlock each boon after you buy them).
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed. As many more of my characters are approaching 60 or hitting 60, I am really feeling the repetitiveness. Allowing the past work of my other characters to help the progression of my new and future characters through Sharandar and Dread Ring would be most welcome. I still feel there needs to be some time spent there though. Mayhaps an NPC that converts our "Currency" tokens into Account Bound ones, which incur a loss, like trade 2 character bound tokens of the same type for 1 account bound token of the same type.

That almost sounds like a reasonable request, however PWE seems to be more interested in 5 or even 40:1 conversions for things like this but I would totally support any conversion as long as I could speed things up after the 1st or 2nd toon I had gotten to 60.

Personally I think leveling needs to take longer, there isn't that much compelling endgame material to warrant the feeling of "this game starts at 60". I disagree with the marketing of instant leveling items, even the most experienced players still need to learn how to play a new class they haven't played before and that is best done by leveling and playing through a game.

What I think needs to happen is after the first play through you need to have the option of skipping straight to protectors enclave and skipping that initial tutorial scenario that gets you to level 4.

I would very much like to see scripts and crescents become account bound, along with tarmalune bars that have accumalated on different toons for various reasons (if i could consolidate them all i'd could by a couple more wards lol).
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »

Finally, some input about how to positively structure a new system.
    edited August 2014
    =D Much better. hahaha
  • adamy2004adamy2004 Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Finally, some input about how to positively structure a new system.

check your inbox, i forwarded the thread to panderus and sent you his response
    Don't waste my time.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I'd be happy if they just made artifacts account bound.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
    edited August 2014
    panderus wrote:
    we have something coming soon, though it is not that suggestion. There are also additional plans in the works for the future of campaigns that can help new players as well.

victoryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!