test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you PvP / PvE? Just interested on the player base.

Comments

• Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd have to get very bored to try pvp.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tornnomar wrote: »
    What the hey, I'll bite!

PVE. If I want PvP, I'll play a game designed for it.

totally agree
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PVE 100%

Id rather have my eyes gouged out with rusty spoons then to suffer one micro second of PVP.
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Mainly a PvEr. But also do PvP for daily rAD and artifacts in order to refine my other/new artifacts.
  • Options
    ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since I love my HR and it sucks in PvE, I mainly PvP. But I'd hate doing leadership/auction house to get AD so I farm PvE with my CW. Then I guess I do both of them.
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PvE! Even if it gets repetitive over time I love me some dungeons. Made new characters just for the nostalgia. lol
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Purely PvP. I start to pvp when i was disappointed by the old broken threat mechanic, then i never turn back into pve cleric. I made 1 pve cleric, 8 pvp cleric since beta.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    PVE 100%

Id rather have my eyes gouged out with rusty spoons then to suffer one micro second of PVP.
    Completely agree, couldn't have said it better myself. Throw in some RP on top of that PvE, and it makes a good distraction for a couple of hours. Are there bugs and mechanics that need to be fixed in PvE, yes, but a broken PvE beats any form of PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I play fashion.

I waste like 95% of my profit with dungeons on trying to find the perfect visual for my CW. I'd say I already spent 3kk on transmutes.

@nobutseriously

I make both PvP and PvE, but I prefer PvE and always try to avoid the PvP because there's always the team that lose, and I feel really bad about them.

I don't like making people feel bad or enraged, and it's so cool on PvE when we get an expensive item and we can get lots of ADs for all the 5 of us!
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I play both regularly. I do at least my 3 Domination matches for Daily A.D.'s and my Daily Open World PvP. I do more Open World when AB Gank Squads are not out in force, so I have at least a chance at close to even odds, and if I can find some folks looking to actually PvP rather than ambushing folks just trying to get in a few Dailies.
    I do this while working my current main through Icewind Dale and my TR, Epic Beard The Pirate, through the Dread Ring and Sharendar.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm here for PvE because I'm a huge Faerun lore nerd. I love DnD, especially Faerun. Its my favorite setting and this game sticks to established lore very very well. The only thing that could make it better is if the combat was similar to how it was in Neverwinter Nights, but I do like the action style of combat and the way things are done. Healing and just generally playing a DC has been an extremely fun experience for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wheres the option for pvp RP and pve ? as i enjoy all 3
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    shadowbunsliceshadowbunslice Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I play mostly for PVP these days. The dungeons are getting stale from repetition, same thing with dailies + they are no challenge at all even with a character I am still gearing up (10k or less). I was extremely active in PVE for an extended period with my rogue. These days however he is just no fun to play in pve at all. I notice my CW and GWF are much more fun and effective in pve content even though my rogue is MUCH better geared.

I dislike shooters and like close combat pvp with fantasy themes. I came straight to this game from DDO and liked the PVE scene there much better. I did some PK greed runs yesterday on my CW and on 3 different runs a player was kicked for being new/not know the optimal way to run the dungeon. Even though i was the party leader and voted no everytime they got kicked. I finally left the group, sick to my stomach. The level of class discrimination/bad attitudes I have encountered in NW goes way beyond anything I have experienced in DDO. Who exactly is to blame for that I don't know.

pvp is pretty much the only thing left that I can enjoy as a rogue, and it's what originally drew me to the game. So for now i'm sticking with that.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The level of class discrimination/bad attitudes I have encountered in NW goes way beyond anything I have experienced in DDO. Who exactly is to blame for that I don't know.
    It was there in some periods of ddo. With the xp penalty it used to be you died = kick, etc. The bigger reason though that a lot of it went away is they buffed xp gain and let power creep get out of control. It didn't matter who you brought with you even in epic elites because one good player could solo them.

So bring that to neverwinter and you don't have the xp problems you have it in loot/hour rewards, which at least is a little better now with keys since we don't have to try to jam in as many runs into one hour as possible anymore. But unless you are playing with a few very geared and skilled players, every player does need to contribute. Now some things such as kicking for not knowing are crappy things to do. But you do need players that can contribute in most groups, I'd hate to see it get to the point where I could solo any epic and not need the rest of the party like what ddo descended to even if it brings some bad group interaction on the social front.
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll note that I voted PVE however I do PVP on occasion but mainly for the rewards and i'm a bit of a completionist.

There is too much advantage given to people that trick out characters to make PVP a truly competitive enjoyable environment and currently in an attempt to make balance they further widen the gap and to boot made matches take 2 - 5 times longer than they used to making casual PVP something that can't be done as all my free game time would be eaten up doing a single pvp match (usually with little to no reward) where as in that same amount of time I could have earned more AD or been more productive with my character.

It would probably be more fair to say I do both but it seems the majority of players are in fact PVE players and that many of the forum threads that might get listened to in reagards to game play that revolves around PVP should carry a little less weight.

Please focus on improving game content, bug fixes and exploit fixes (ahem CN and SP) over PVP content, with one caveat, it would be really nice to just implement a couple of new maps just for variation in domination. That in theory shouldn't be difficult nor time consuming.

IWD should probably look into getting an actual dungeon that can be run to get drops out of it for Black Ice gloves in IWP and then to get a MH in DV. Not saying to get rid of open world encounters for the same but it would be nice to add in actual dungeons to run to get the same items from a dungeon run as opposed to random spawn that 50 people run and do that lag it out and make it so you can't contribute enough to get a small chance if you even are lucky enough to be around when one spawns.
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I strictly PVE; I despise PVP completely.

On that note, I would like to make a mention of a courtesy some (not all) players need to take into consideration. Just a short while ago, a friend and I were doing Skirmishes; the party left the instance, 2 players left the group, and the person who was leader left the zone. I leftthe party at that point and waited for my friend to do the same. She didn't, and the party leader queued up for a Hotenow Domination match - my friend also does not PVP, and was shocked to find herself there. She left and suffered the "early leaver penalty" (oh well). Here is my point: If you are in a group with people you don't know, you should ALWAYS make sure the people you are grouped with are OK with the content you are queueing up for. It is COMPLETELY inconsiderate to do otherwise. If that group lost the Domination match (and the mean-spirited side of me hopes they did), they have only the person who dragged my friend in to blame, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The carebears are beating the stuffing out of the PvPers. What happened to that competitive nature? You all arnt putting up much of a fight. Im a bit disappointed ;)
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Weird that many ppl play for PvE, since is the worst PvE content I've played, however I love PvE in general, I would like if they make harder content which need strategy and a the holy trinity (DPS, Tank and Healer), but if there wasn't PvP in this game I don't think I would be still playing here.
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I play 90% for PVE. First i hated PVP, but soon begun to like it a bit and now because of the major balance issues i hate it, just do it for AD, because PVP is the place where you can earn the most AD and for fresh chars the only place to get the Skull artifact, which is essential for most classes in PVE too.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    Weird that many ppl play for PvE, since is the worst PvE content I've played, however I love PvE in general, I would like if they make harder content which need strategy and a the holy trinity (DPS, Tank and Healer), but if there wasn't PvP in this game I don't think I would be still playing here.

I completely agree. At the moment I play a bit of pve and pvp, depending on what I have time for. If the pve content was actually any good, I wouldn't need to pvp at all.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    One of the original design elements of this MMO was to make the holy trinity requirement obsolete. I will disagree with you that the PvE is the worst, I have seen much worse out there. On the strategy point I will agree. The problem is how to put in content that requires strategy which is also friendly for the casual non-guilded gamer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I completely agree. At the moment I play a bit of pve and pvp, depending on what I have time for. If the pve content was actually any good, I wouldn't need to pvp at all.
    ^ There is a considerable room for PvE to improve.
  • Options
    drowbynightdrowbynight Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    ... but if there wasn't PvP in this game I don't think I would be still playing here.

I find that odd, since the pvp system and maps here do not have much depth (2 x 5v5, 1 x 20v20, 2x open world). Maybe you prefer the simplistic ie uncomplicated pvp system here, idk. For me, I prefer the pve stuff and I appreciate NWO running the CTAs on a regular basis. I will not rate the pve stuff as super hardcore or complex which is fine with me coz I don't want to be so engaged in doing them as if it it is a second job.

Those that are SO free to do all these stuff 24/7 may not find these pvp/pve content to be sufficient to whet their appetite and they have voiced their discontent in previous forum posts. Hopefully Cryptic can design something like having a Elite/Hard/Normal mode of dungeons with the appropriate rewards to give to different player groups ie the ones with lots of time to play but has no cash, the ones with less time to play but with lots of cash etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One of the original design elements of this MMO was to make the holy trinity requirement obsolete.

Well, that explains everything xD.

I fint it pretty bad since for me, the best part of playing in a MMORPG is that you can play your role (Tank, Healer and DPS) and coordinate with other people to do something that could not be possible otherwise (or at least it would be hard to do it), if you don't have a role (or a desirable one) like a Tank you are gonna have a bad time in this game, because the game make you not needed and discarded for not contributing anything and slow things down, so if they wanted to make the holy trinity requirement obsolete they shouldn't have added the DC and GF classes.
    I will disagree with you that the PvE is the worst, I have seen much worse out there.

Well, mainly I've played only 3 MMORPGs, I don't have a lot of experience, but those were pretty fun in PvE.
    On the strategy point I will agree. The problem is how to put in content that requires strategy which is also friendly for the casual non-guilded gamer.

Well, there have to be some content not friendly for the casual non-guilded gamer, or the challenge is gonna be pretty boring for the ones that are in guilds, but the game doesn't have to put it as a requirement to do anything, just like the final content which is only availabe for those who farmed or got good gear and "good" GS (here it's not like that since it's pretty easy to have a 12-13K GS party and do everything is possible, in other games it's even more restricted not by adding some GS requirement in the dungeons, but in it's difficulty), and are not friendly for the new ones.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They just need to do some new content that is something like 15kgs min to get in. That will balance it to be challenging.

As far as needing to pvp. There is less of a need to pvp now with the dungeon keys, but before those were out, you really did need to pvp for something to do as you could only pve every 4-6 hours or so when the dd hour came up.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I find that odd, since the pvp system and maps here do not have much depth (2 x 5v5, 1 x 20v20, 2x open world). Maybe you prefer the simplistic ie uncomplicated pvp system here, idk. For me, I prefer the pve stuff and I appreciate NWO running the CTAs on a regular basis. I will not rate the pve stuff as super hardcore or complex which is fine with me coz I don't want to be so engaged in doing them as if it it is a second job.

Lol, you are alredy speaking it like if it is a second job, if the game had some +16K GS dungeon, or if NWN had +20 maps available at lvl 60, why would you have to play them if you don't wan't to spent your time?, I've played Ragnarok and Tibia which have content insanely hard for people who have played a lot of time and have an insane and godly gear and I don't go complain in the forum because I don't have the time to do that or because I don't have a guild, but the challenging stuff (for me) is what brings all the fun, so if in a game if there's something I could do, but I'm not able to do it alredy, it will keep me in the game farming and getting better gear to try and some day do what I couldn't.
    Those that are SO free to do all these stuff 24/7 may not find these pvp/pve content to be sufficient to whet their appetite and they have voiced their discontent in previous forum posts. Hopefully Cryptic can design something like having a Elite/Hard/Normal mode of dungeons with the appropriate rewards to give to different player groups ie the ones with lots of time to play but has no cash, the ones with less time to play but with lots of cash etc.

Yeah, but also for anybody that have played this game for 4-5 months or even less also, I don't want a elite/hard/normal mode (I don't want to do the same dungeon at lvl 15, then at lvl 60, and then when I'm 18K GS, actually I found that doing these "Epic Dungeons" that were just a cheap copy of the normal ones with a 5x in the enemies HP and Damage was very lazy from the designers), I would prefer diferent content with diferent dificulties.
  • Options
    drowbynightdrowbynight Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    I don't want a elite/hard/normal mode (I don't want to do the same dungeon at lvl 15, then at lvl 60, and then when I'm 18K GS, actually I found that doing these "Epic Dungeons" that were just a cheap copy of the normal ones with a 5x in the enemies HP and Damage was very lazy from the designers), I would prefer different content with different difficulties.
    Well, that's too bad coz currently the Normal/Epic T1/T2 dungeons are already content that are being reused. But I am really trying to say that it'll be great to make level 60 dungeons like VT/MC with Normal/Hard/Elite modes, using the current difficulty version as normal mode. Then again, the hard/elite modes will be as you say adding just damage and hp to the trash mobs and bosses. But having played many mmos including the more established brands (US-European publishers, not the Asian ones), this is a common trend. The devs won't spend tremendous amount time to make an extra extremely difficult dungeon accessible only by like 5% of the population and then in the next 3-4 months time push out a new module that have new dungeons with even better gear. You say they are lazy, they'll say they are being practical, so take it or leave it.
  • Options
    arcanaxearcanaxe Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My main toon is a DC, used to play both PVP and PVE, but with all the changes that happened of late, and with the Roar being abused as it is, it's not fun to play PVP anymore with it. So generally I just pass on PVP as a whole now. You don't get a decent mix build which is viable for both anymore, either you play AC and you play purely PVP, cause AC is the worst choice to play PVE with, or you go DC with is the perfect build for PVE, but seriously lacks the survivability that AC provides. PVP has become very stale with only to maps to play on. The open world PVP is not viable for a DC, as you wont be able to kill most of the players 1 on 1 when you go in. It's fun to play with a group of friends, but that is the only time. But all you are doing is trying to survive if they decide to come after you, because with most of the geared people you don't have a chance to kill them 1 on 1. So what is the point. It's only fun the 1st couple of times, but after you get massacred over and over again, you loose interested.

Hopefully things will improve as time goes by (Lets hope so). So I'll wait till Mod 4 comes out, and then see what happens, until then I'll just stay of PVP.
  • Options
    edyitedyit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PVE only, PVP is terrible unless its a game designed only for PVP. this is a fun game but the PVE side seams to get messed up to "balance" the PVP side. I really hate to have my fun in PVE diminished to make something "balanced" in PVP. Especially since after that gets "fixed" the PVPers will find something else that is "broken" to whine about....