test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• Options
    ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adernath wrote: »
    There is a simple solution. Double our ability to control or remove the instant cast that other classes have. They also deserve to suffer like us.

About repel ability. Can enlarge the damage according to the distance that has been activated. Melee damage should be high and knock the target down.
    I agree. It is already ridiculous that gf and especially gwfs have certain very strong instant long and mid range CC abilities (FS, flourish, roar, crescendo) which has to be anticipated for dodging maneuvers (in the case of crescendo and flourish dodging from the CC is completely impossible). These instant CC abilities of the other classes produce superior control capabilities of these classes. For example a GWF can immediately cast one of his instant CC abilities after you successfully dodged one, before your entangling force is casted. This ability (entangling force) is already taking too long on live. Now make the CWs casting times even longer.... and you will not see a CW in PvP anymore.
    TR and HR have instant-cast cc's, too.

It's ironic that CW being a controller class has the longest casting times and other non-controller classes can do instant cc.
  • Options
    relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TAB change suggestion:

Someone suggested to change Tab for CW in a way it would grant additional CC effect to each spell.

I really like how Tab works for DC and TR. They have more options once their divinity/stealth bar is ready.
    CW has to pick only one power (on tab) with additional effect (so if it goes for encounters, has only 4 powers to choose from), whereas for TRs and DCs every power has additional effect with tab (granting them 6 options in game total). I'm only talking about choice here. CW is pretty limited in that regard. For me, I'd give away additional encounter for some kind of meter that once filled would allow me to decide which additional effect of my 3 encounters I'd like to exercise.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree that HR's speed of shooting arrows is insane. Archers need to take arrows from quivers and also need some time to aim their targets accurately. They should not shoot arrows so fast and non-stop like they are machine guns. There should be an animation of them taking arrows from quivers before shooting.

Someone better tell that to Lars Anderson. Seems he didn't get the memo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ahsher wrote: »
    Will you guys verify whether orb of opposition, CONTROL BONUS STAT, and wisdom bonus to control actually extended control powers in PVP?
    I had tested Orb of Imposition. It's broken and doesn't work at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Someone better tell that to Lars Anderson. Seems he didn't get the memo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
    The ranges being presented in the video are quite short so they don't require much aiming.
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TR and HR have instant-cast cc's, too.

It's ironic that CW being a controller class has the longest casting times and other non-controller classes can do instant cc.

If you are referring to the TR Smoke Bomb, whether it is instant cast or not is debatable since it doesn't take effect initially and if cast in a pack of mobs it gets the TR aggro, gets the TR attacked (often dead) and then it takes effect. Still I think the CW as a controller should definitely have preferred consideration in potency and effectiveness of CC abilities.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If you are referring to the TR Smoke Bomb, whether it is instant cast or not is debatable since it doesn't take effect initially and if cast in a pack of mobs it gets the TR aggro, gets the TR attacked (often dead) and then it takes effect. Still I think the CW as a controller should definitely have preferred consideration in potency and effectiveness of CC abilities.
    The content I was referring to is PvP. Yes, Smoke Bomb is an instant cc. TR has another instant cc, that they throw a knife at a target and then the target is dazed.
  • Options
    suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The content I was referring to is PvP. Yes, Smoke Bomb is an instant cc. TR has another instant cc, that they throw a knife at a target and then the target is dazed.

Okay I was confused and thought that by your use of "instant" you actually meant instant. In that case they have two other "instant" cast brief daze abilities (that take time to cast and can be dodged or interrupted).
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The ranges being presented in the video are quite short so they don't require much aiming.

And the longest range anyone can attack from in NW is also very short. Your point?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    And the longest range anyone can attack from in NW is also very short. Your point?
    Well, ranges longer than 50 feet still require precise aiming so shooting like a machine gun in those range is odd.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, ranges longer than 50 feet still require precise aiming so shooting like a machine gun in those range is odd.

It's not earth, it's magic. Ever hear of manyshot?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Manyshot

besides if you slowed down the firing you'd have to up the damage of each arrow to balance it. But that would unbalance pvp because you'd be adding huge damage bursts.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    It's not earth, it's magic. Ever hear of manyshot?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Manyshot

besides if you slowed down the firing you'd have to up the damage of each arrow to balance it. But that would unbalance pvp because you'd be adding huge damage bursts.
    Not all shootings are magical. I'm okay to up the damage to balance it. The instant cc's from HR are just unreasonable.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not all shootings are magical. I'm okay to up the damage to balance it. The instant cc's from HR are just unreasonable.
    Yes but you aren't a commoner. Much of DnD was inspired by Tolkien. For evidence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfling_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#cite_note-4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfling_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_.281974-1976.29

That means for a visual description of gameplay you want a ranger to move like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132WIdxvgdo

I think Cryptic got that part about right.

I'm sorry for this derail but the whole shooting too fast thing in a magical world really bothers me.
  • Options
    leaudricleaudric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I repeat......there is no control with the CW. What exactly are we controlling besides using the occasional steal time,arcane singularity and oppressive force? What are we controlling when some mobs even classes have an immunity against our control abilities? When classes like HR,TR,GWF,.GF have better control than us, stun us or prone us to death and to top it all off they are immune against our abilities.........you took away our control and now you want to take away our DPS ,a 60% overall decrease in damage with no control compensation. Now a CW has no control,no dps and to top it all off it's squishy. Thank you very much for making my class so much better.

All I'm saying is if you want the damage nerf take it I don't care but THEN WHERE IS MY CONTROL.At least rework the CW to have superior control and resistance to control. I mean what's the point of being a control wizard if you're controlled by another class besides another CW. Like the DC i think the CW deserves an immune to control while teleporting but THEY CAN STILL TAKE DAMAGE.

That's just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    shogunofthedark1shogunofthedark1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    leaudric wrote: »
    I repeat......there is no control with the CW. What exactly are we controlling besides using the occasional steal time,arcane singularity and oppressive force? What are we controlling when some mobs even classes have an immunity against our control abilities? When classes like HR,TR,GWF,.GF have better control than us, stun us or prone us to death and to top it all off they are immune against our abilities.........you took away our control and now you want to take away our DPS ,a 60% overall decrease in damage with no control compensation. Now a CW has no control,no dps and to top it all off it's squishy. Thank you very much for making my class so much better.

All I'm saying is if you want the damage nerf take it I don't care but THEN WHERE IS MY CONTROL.At least rework the CW to have superior control and resistance to control. I mean what's the point of being a control wizard if you're controlled by another class besides another CW. Like the DC i think the CW deserves an immune to control while teleporting but THEY CAN STILL TAKE DAMAGE.

That's just my 2 cents.

the cw has more control then the other classes, ray of frost atwill, entangle, repel, shield to an extent, all the dailies do some form of control. Taking away the damage a cw does makes the class makes it useless against anything that is cc immune, i.e. most of the other
    classes in pvp, any bosses, any elite mobs.

I dont understand what the developers think they are actually fixing... the cw is not overpowered, they arent soloing castle never
    or malabogs castle or Valindra's tower and I would be surprised if they could solo Pirate king even with the high gs we have now.

Its not going to fix the fact that its next too impossible to get a tr, gf or hr in CN, MC or VT. Making the CW suck is not going to
    fix that... if they wanted to fix that, they should undo all the nerfs done to trs and hrs, Im not sure if there was a nerf to the gf
    but when gwfs got iron vanguard, they became a little obsolete.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I suggested that all what was required in pvp to improve cw's is

1. Change blink so that we do not lose our run speed afterwards.
    2. After blink make the next spell instant (like shard, chill strike, entangle etc).
    3. Increase the shield strenght to at least 2x of its value
    (currently almost no one is using shield in PvP anyways, make it a useful option!)

These points should be enough improve CWs survivability in PvP significantly. The rest is testing.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The stun from Chill Strike and Icy rays must be improved and same with entangling.
    Also the CC resistance needs to be fixed for other classes because you can give us unlimited control but in the end it wont matter because everybody is resisting it anyway.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    leaudricleaudric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adernath wrote: »
    I suggested that all what was required in pvp to improve cw's is

1. Change blink so that we do not lose our run speed afterwards.
    2. After blink make the next spell instant (like shard, chill strike, entangle etc).
    3. Increase the shield strenght to at least 2x of its value
    (currently almost no one is using shield in PvP anyways, make it a useful option!)

These points should be enough improve CWs survivability in PvP significantly. The rest is testing.

I like points 1 and 2. From a pvp point of view; for survibaility TR has stealth, DC heals, GWF unstoppable, GF Block....etc. we had control but all other classes are immune now that is rendered useless. Blinking an instant cast may increase our survibaility in PvP.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Smoke Bomb is instant cast but not instant effect. So not really instant cast at all. And people can just walk out of the effect. The only instant dagger-throw CC is if you use Shadow Strike while in stealth or Impact Shot while in stealth. The stun times on both of these is pitifully short. And the second one breaks stealth.

TR CC is a joke. You may have a point with some of the other classes, but TR? Nope.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    More to come over the next few days, but here is what I have so far:

Bug list

Bug: Magic Missile

The final three hits of magic missile are doing 21% more damage than the tool tip indicates. I don't believe this happens on the live server.

Bug: Ray of Frost

The tooltip clearly states that enemies will freeze when they reach 6 stacks of chill. They do not freeze until a 7th stack of chill is applied. Either correct the tool tip, or make enemies freeze on the 6th stack.

Bug: Conduit of Ice and Sudden Storm

When these abilities score a critical hit in addition to the orange damage numbers there will also be a yellow zero that pops up with every tick of damage. This may also being happening with other spells, but these are the two I've noticed so far.

Bug: Entangling Force

When the spell is slotted the pop-up description of the spell (when you place the mouse over it) is very inaccurate. The damage is off by over 1,000.

Bug: Evocation

When Evocation is equipped it increases the damage of Chilling Cloud, tabbed Chill Strike, tabbed Repel, Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm, and Shard of the Endless Avalanche. Of those, the damage values in the tooltips for Chilling Cloud, tabbed Chill Strike, and tabbed Repel change to reflect the increase in damage. The damage values in the tooltips for Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm, and Shard do not change.

Bug: Evocation

Evocation does not work with Conduit of Ice and Storm Pillar. Both are obviously AoE attacks. Storm Pillar even has its AoE radius listed in its tooltip.

Bug: Icy Terrain

If you begin an encounter with Icy terrain then it does not give any action point gain.

Bug: Storm Pillar

The lightning arcs cannot crit.

Bug: Storm Spell

Lightning arcs from tabbed Sudden Storm cannot proc Storm Spell. The description of Storm Spell states that it can trigger off of all damage. Lightning arcs from Storm Pillar (which is the same kind of attack) can proc Storm Spell.

Bug: Arcane Singularity

Rather comically, the best control spell a CW has does not count as a control spell. It does not trigger the High Vizier bonus,

Other miscellaneous Module 4 Bugs:

When attempting to equip an artifact to the second slot, it places it in the third slot. The only way to get an artifact in the second slot is to drag it from your inventory.

When inspecting an equipped weapon the information from your general enchantment (radiant, azure, etc) pops up and won't go away. It blocks the button to manage your weapon enchantment (vorpal, plague fire, etc).

The equip button for the icon slot of my Ioun Stone is not working. I have to drag something into it from my inventory.

Feedback List

Many of the tooltips contain incomplete, inaccurate, and misleading information. This can make it very difficult for inexperienced players to understand what they are getting in the spells. Some examples are as follows:

Feeback: Chilling Cloud tooltip

The first two hits of Chilling Cloud do the damage described in the tooltip. The third hit does 2.6 times as much damage to the primary target and 1.3 times as much damage to enemies in the AoE. That information is very relevant in judging how useful Chilling Cloud is but is not present in the tooltip.

Feeback: Conduit of Ice tooltip

Conduit of Ice has six ticks of damage. Each tick of damage does, on average, 4.2% more damage than the previous tick. When placed in the tab slot Conduit of Ice is granted a seventh tick of damage. None of this information is included in the tooltip. As a result the damage of CoI is badly undersold by the tooltip.

The tooltip is worthless. It does not disclose the damage absorbed or the damage it will inflict on enemies.

The tooltip is badly misleading. It states that it will do more damage when both icy rays are fired at a single target. However, both icy rays fired at the same target will do less total damage than when they are fired at separate targets. The damage is 2*tooltip when fired at separate targets. It is 1.75*tooltip when fired at the same target. When placed on tab the damage is 3*tooltip when fired at separate targets and 2.625*tooltip when fired at the same target.

Other feedback

Storm Fury is a pathetically useless class feature. It does between 100 and 150 damage when you get take damage and are below 50% health. The damage is totally insignificant in both PvE and PvP and players make every attempt to avoid being in a position where it is activating so it has very little up time. It would not be an exaggeration to state that this would account for less than 1/1000th of my damage output if I were ever dumb enough to actually use it. As it is currently formulated I can't imagine any CW with a modicum of intelligence ever using this class feature. It is horrible.

Orb of Imposition is very, very difficult to test. There are times when it seems like it extends the duration of entangling force by 25% and other times where it does nothing. I can't tell if it is working as intended. That's a strong indication that the feature is in dire need of attention. Extending the duration so it is actually noticeable might get some people to actually use this. Though that is unlikely given just how weak it is.

This spell has so much wrong with it I don't know where to begin. Power does not increase its damage. It receives no damage boost from Intelligence. It cannot proc any effects. It cannot crit, even when used during Eye of the Storm. It is not boosted by Evocation. It's a total disaster of a spell that is vastly inferior to Oppressive Force in every way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So the GWF got buffs again.
    Unstoppable: Now grants 15~30% DR when activated (up from 10~20%).
    Sprint: Stamina cost of Sprint reduced by roughly 40%.

Now give us something x3 better than that and we might have a chance in PvP if we are very lucky. Remove all CC resist against our control powers.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I'm hoping they revert the nerf to Magic Missile. I was under the impression Magic Missile was the best single target DPS at-will for the CW, but lost out to Chilling Cloud once the AoE component came into play against multiple targets. I believe someone tested that the "new" Magic Missile does around 20% less DPS than Chilling Cloud on just a single target, even with Arcane Mastery stacked. And while I can appreciate that Chilling Cloud has become a little better and is just as viable as before, I'd also like to not be forced into using it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    gabryel wrote: »
    I'm hoping they revert the nerf to Magic Missile. I was under the impression Magic Missile was the best single target DPS at-will for the CW, but lost out to Chilling Cloud once the AoE component came into play against multiple targets. I believe someone tested that the "new" Magic Missile does around 20% less DPS than Chilling Cloud on just a single target, even with Arcane Mastery stacked. And while I can appreciate that Chilling Cloud has become a little better and is just as viable as before, I'd also like to not be forced into using it.

The pecking order in terms of DPS has always been Storm Pillar, Magic Missile, Chilling Cloud, Ray of Frost. On crowds it has been Chilling Cloud, Storm Pillar, Magic Missile, Ray of Frost. Storm Pillar does more damage but its problem has always been that it is cumbersome to use and so it is less useful in PvP. I'll do a check to see which does the highest DPS on single target in a bit and report back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    The pecking order in terms of DPS has always been Storm Pillar, Magic Missile, Chilling Cloud, Ray of Frost. On crowds it has been Chilling Cloud, Storm Pillar, Magic Missile, Ray of Frost. Storm Pillar does more damage but its problem has always been that it is cumbersome to use and so it is less useful in PvP. I'll do a check to see which does the highest DPS on single target in a bit and report back.

With storm pillar not even critting properly. Its going to be a bit skewed.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well all our "damage only" powers are useless now. Unless it stuns, prones or adds chill the power is useless.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

I thought grimah already did. I remember asking if it meant Ray of Frost was comparatively competitive now. He said no.
    Can't seem to find that thread anymore.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Even on live this is happening: the Chill Strike spell has different damage between the tabbed and non-tabbed version, and this is not being said in the tooltip.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Here are my dps numbers for at-wills on a single target. This is with no feats chosen and no class features that would boost anything (i.e. evocation or chilling presence).

Storm Pillar - 2,231
    Magic Missile - 1,489
    Chilling Cloud - 1,387
    Ray of Frost - 1,025

A few things to note:

-It is unlikely that in a real fight that you will be able to keep up 5 arcane stacks the entire time like I did in my test. So, the real damage of magic missile will be less. Probably less than Chilling Cloud. Also if you use Evocation or Chilling Presence Chilling Cloud would easily surpass magic missile. If you use both then it's not even a competition - Chilling Cloud would smoke magic missile.
    -Storm Pillar is far and away the best single target at-will.
    -No matter what your weapon, Intelligence, or power are these values should scale accordingly. So Storm Pillar should do about 50% more damage than Magic Missile no matter where you are in the game. Only feats will change their relative values.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Even on live this is happening: the Chill Strike spell has different damage between the tabbed and non-tabbed version, and this is not being said in the tooltip.

The only reason for there to be a difference between tabbed and regular chill strike is if you have feats or class features equipped that would change it. Wizard's Wrath and Evocation boost AoE damage. So they will boost the damage of Chill Strike when it is on tab since it is AoE there. They won't affect Chill Strike when it is not tabbed.

I have tested Chill Strike and got identical damage between tabbed and regular when I had no feats selected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Ray of Frost

The tooltip clearly states that enemies will freeze when they reach 6 stacks of chill. They do not freeze until a 7th stack of chill is applied. Either correct the tool tip, or make enemies freeze on the 6th stack.
    Good catch. That actually has happened on live shard for a long time.

Orb of Imposition is very, very difficult to test. There are times when it seems like it extends the duration of entangling force by 25% and other times where it does nothing. I can't tell if it is working as intended. That's a strong indication that the feature is in dire need of attention. Extending the duration so it is actually noticeable might get some people to actually use this. Though that is unlikely given just how weak it is.
    I tested it, too. From what I can see, it doesn't work completely.
This discussion has been closed.