test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• aviracaineaviracaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No rotations were used to produce these ACT logs. Spells were mindlessly spammed as they came off cooldown.

Also this does not represent actual dps in dungeon with other CWs stacking debuffs neither does it take into account dps loss from Malevolent Surge under right conditions since dummies can't die.

Live
    http://i.imgur.com/M4PJWN3.png

Preview
    http://i.imgur.com/0oaGgmK.png
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    After some tests i think EotS needs its ICD dropped to 20 seconds to remain competitive and fanning the flame turned back to the way it was, before it was a a good paragon encounter (single target) and questionable to use for AoE clearing, so the nerf just hurts MoF too much.

Most of those single target nerfs should be adjusted, but I understand it needed to be nerfed because warlocks are suppose to be the single target caster but they hurt for PvP too much, if you want to stick to the controller theme, I would like to see prone component added to repel to give back something.

Other nerfs on aoe damage I think are fine though.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • v1rus89v1rus89 Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2014
    Please give Shard on mastery a max target cap of 3/4 and nerf the dmg by 25/30% instead of 60% for us PVP cw that build their rotation around this encounter for months.
    This way nobody will use it on mastery in PVE because of the target cap (not that everyone was using it before), and finally in PVP the spell will feel viable still and not crit for 1k -2k or less.

Virus, Enemy Team.
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I will attempt this one last time...

Shardplosion needs a serious adjustment upwards...

At present on Preview

Steal Time which is one slot lower and does about 4500 damage for me and has a 3 second stun, and has a very low recast timer.

Shards does 2600 damage shardplosion with a 13 second recast timer, with a 3 second prone.
    This spell's Shardplosion either needs to be doing at LEAST 5000... OR have a 5 second prone time... OR have its recast timer shortened to approximately 6-8 seconds. For it to be worthy of its current placement on the tree in comparison to Steal Time.

Pick one... as it is seriously underpowered at this point compared to its actual positioning in the tree. I'm sure you can see from the other logs presented at this time back that up. Considering much lower level spells are doing a lot more overall damage than this one. That is backwards considering their relative positions in the tree.

On top of that, Steal Time is much easier to use and automatically hits.
    Shards needs to be pushed and can miss entirely... and is prone to bugs like going in mysterious directions the caster has not aimed it at.

Again... my last attempt at this, I will NOT be bringing this up again...
  • theace69theace69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    without meaning to sound negative:

currently in PVP GWF = immune to near all control powers
    currently in pvp GWF / HR - permanently able to root my CW

By reducing control in module 4 it will make us twice as feeble in pvp, i don't overly care abut out damage being nerfed but the name CONTROL wizard should mean that every other class dosen't get such high immunity to control surely.
    Coupled with longer cast times what is the benefit you guys are aiming for exactly?

on a minor note some gear to grant a CW control resits would be beneficial to reduce the chance of perma root.
  • adamy2004adamy2004 Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power has had its base impact damage reduced by roughly 33%.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power has had its explosion damage reduced by roughly 60%......
    (75% effective damage nerf on shard)
    you are nerfing our damage in pvp(which is already negligible). and you are giving us "more control"

yet, you are giving gwfs CC immunity and 30% more DR while sprinting and they already have unstoppable and since they are going back to sentinel this coming module, they will have 45% dr and 40% deflect.

you are giving GF's CC immunity while blocking.

TRs already have ITC and stealth which is the best CC immunity in the game (as encounters while casted on a TR while they go into stealth are negated and go on cooldown)

and HR's are now going to be killing people that have 45k hp or so in 1-2 encounters and sometimes 1shots with aimshot.

yet shard, still disappears when CC'd it already does at maximum 7k total damage when you land it and blow it up on a target. (crits)
    and you cant say it will do more damage, since it is one of the VERY few cw abilitys that actually work with armor pen currently.

you are nerfing cast-times and damage on nearly every single one of our encounters.

if the damage is reduced this severely, i will be forced to NOT spec into the oppressors capstone, run with COI on tab, and perma freeze DC's and other CWs.
    Don't waste my time.
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The CW has little control and most classes has to much immunity.
    So the CW has nothing to offer in PvP.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • charkanramoncharkanramon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is a simple solution. Double our ability to control or remove the instant cast that other classes have. They also deserve to suffer like us.

About repel ability. Can enlarge the damage according to the distance that has been activated. Melee damage should be high and knock the target down.
  • gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited July 2014

I copied my Level 60 mage to test and did some PvE encounters - I only do PvE so I can't say anything about PvP.

As has already been said many times: The damage nerf is way too much - why is this done? I mean > 40% - that's really not called for. It's no fun trying to do the daily solo quests (which get boring very fast as is) and them taking longer than before.

Not everybody is fully geared, not everybody wants to ask for help all the time, some people like to play solo and only group fur dungeon runs. And - while it's still possible - it's more difficult and time consuming.

I've already stopped playing both of my other characters (TR because I'm really more of a distance fighter and HR because of the last nerf). Now my mage might be next :(.
  • eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i dont even know where to start... im truly heartbroken... im mostly PVPer... our CC already become useless and not working on most melee classes (or working 0.3 seconds)... and when melee hit me i first flying, then im prone... and even before i have a chance to stand up, im prone again (and pretty much dead)... i didnt even have a chance to defend myself for about 3 or even more seconds...

u guys nerfing absolutely everything and i understand u doing it for PVE... i dont mind.. i like challenge.. but nerfing weakest class in PVP the way u nerfing wiz is just too much...

please check PVP statistics before u decide to do something like this... this is not small thing..
    Veno Forever <3
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Make CW powers ignore CC immunity in PvP. Problem solved?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

Honestly, if it was part of the tab power and not every single cc ability currently on their skill bar, I think that would be fine personally.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

Wasn't CC deminishing returns/immunity was added solely for the purpose of PvP? Never heard a NPC complain that they got proned or frozen too much.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gabryel wrote: »
    Wasn't CC deminishing returns/immunity was added solely for the purpose of PvP? Never heard a NPC complain that they got proned or frozen too much.

Yes but it highlights the big problem with balancing the CW for both pvp and pve. CW's have a lot of control powers, and the pve changes are lowering their dps for pve so that the best way to complete any content isn't stack CW's. However because of this they then won't be able to have enough dps for pvp. I don't know what the answer is, I don't envy Cryptic trying to balance it at all. I don't think the answer is to make CW's ignore cc resistance in pvp but perhaps to give them a new mechanic of spell penetration which could reduce the effectiveness of control resistance. That said control immune powers such as unstoppable and ITC should still be immune from this.
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Something significant that I have not seen mentioned enough in this thread is the need for developers to grant CW's a respec token when these changes are made. The changes that are being made to the class are massive. This isn't a new paragon path, or some tweaks to abilities. This is a total overhaul on how the class functions. Excellent builds that people have already purchased respec tokens in order to acquire will suddenly be very ineffective. If these changes go live and CW's must purchase zen in order to get their character into a useful state again there will be a great deal of outrage. And justifiably so. Personally, I'll manage if you don't grant me one. But if you are looking to minimize the amount of rage-quitting from people who aren't on these message boards who get blindsided by the changes to their class then it would be in your interest to grant every CW a do-over. A gesture of "we know we nerfed your current build hard. If you'd like to pick a different one it's on the house" would somewhat lessen the blow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would expect a respec token, but it would be very nice to have a Dev confirm that. At this point, the changes are indeed so great, it definitely justifies a respec token.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited July 2014
    Honestly, if it was part of the tab power and not every single cc ability currently on their skill bar, I think that would be fine personally.

That's an idea.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • leaudricleaudric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm gutted. I'm sad and angry........we all know the true reason for these nerfs, "we can not have a CW out damage our new warlock so let's nerf it to so our new class is superior and people play it." I have invested alot time and money in this game and my main is a CW. Im at level 60,epic mount, rank 7s and 8 enchantments,3 blue artifacts........all my time spent on my class and you just.....just break it.

The cws have always been bad at pvp that much i know. So you nerfall our pvp abilities.....not smart. You supposedly increased our control but i don't see that.......perma freeze? I mean dont get me wrong.......you are forcing people to play an oppressor build while the renegade and thaurm have been nerfed to hell. "We are beefing up the control aspect of the CW" how many classes have immunity? So what I'm basically saying is that they broke 2 playstyles thaurm and renegade. Forced oppressor on us and completely ruined our pvp experience......we are worser off in pvp, IMO. I guess my CW will be only reserved for pve ........ the control addition and damage nerf is good for pve.......but horrible for pvp.

R.I.P control wizard.Oh, well time to level up my OP HR/pathfinder now and save up a slot for the warlock as it will be the next "TR" in terms of initial bad assary in pvp followed by its inevitable nerfs.
  • shogunofthedark1shogunofthedark1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1. Can one of the devs please update the 1 post with all the updates that have been done and posted throughout the thread
    2. when are the dungeons in the preview server coming back so we can actually test this bloody awful nerf and see how bad it is

My pve play through with the nerfed cw
    Magic missile is too low damage it does not compare with equivalent at wills from other classes
    Shard is bugged as hell and the damage nerf to the top encounter is way too much. All CWs should be using this as the top aoe damage encounter and its being beaten out by every other encounter
    Sudden storm while not as badly nerfed as the others, there was no reason to nerf it. Its directional and too small and aoe area to be OP
    Steal Time is doing the exact same control as Singularity and way more damage, thats nice but a little overkill IMO
    Singularity is now useless as a daily... 8 target limit is way to low for epic dungeons and even non-epic version, especially when the power description says "ALL TARGETS IN A LARGE AREA"... All is not 8, not 15 its every single mob in the targeted area. The cast time increase makes it un-castable in any dungeon that has interupters(Pirate King) or large numbers of range damage dealers(CN or VT)

The CW has been a DPS class since I started playing this game, regardless of the name. Take that away and it becomes an unwanted
    class in groups, like the rogues, archers and guardian fighters. The Singularity nerf affects just about every other class as they ALL expect it to be used and they ALL have tactics that revolve around it. I am very underwhelmed by the Warlock, it does nothing
    that the ranger doesnt do better.

And given that a lot of mid-level mobs, higher level mobs and virtually all bosses are immune to control, it has diminishing returns after
    a point.
  • obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I dont understand why you are nerfing one target skills? it is already imposible to catch perma tr becouse our casting time is very long and before our beloved OP CW will throw his skill, perma tr is already on second side of point and your skills do not active at all becouse we loose him from our eyes, we can olny watching like our hp is eaten in 10 seconds, and now you are making this casting time skills even longer than it is now. Tell me how can HR shoot two arrows almost one after the other without any cooldown? is he a god? Archers need the time to take the arrow from quiver, pull the bowstring, aim at someone and hit the mark, in neverwinter it loks like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6RvG0Q7SE , you musnt seek to farr it is first five seconfd of movie. Just look this is 3 arrows (skills) in 1,5-2 seconds! And now CW Conduit of Ice: This power now takes 1.5 seconds to fire, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? CW is telling some kind of spell before he use his skills? When i am fighting with HR he has more control than i have becouse he is all time immune or i am throwing my skill to long and he is much faster than i am, not to mention the time of CW control in pvp this is simply ridiculous. Tell me devs, have you ever played this game? or you only use calculations, charts and tables? Really...i have no words for this circus.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I dont understand why you are nerfing one target skills? it is already imposible to catch perma tr becouse our casting time is very long and before our beloved OP CW will throw his skill, perma tr is already on second side of point and your skills do not active at all becouse we loose him from our eyes, we can olny watching like our hp is eaten in 10 seconds, and now you are making this casting time skills even longer than it is now. Tell me how can HR shoot two arrows almost one after the other without any cooldown? is he a god? Archers need the time to take the arrow from quiver, pull the bowstring, aim at someone and hit the mark, in neverwinter it loks like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6RvG0Q7SE , you musnt seek to farr it is first five seconfd of movie. Just look this is 3 arrows (skills) in 1,5-2 seconds! And now CW Conduit of Ice: This power now takes 1.5 seconds to fire, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? CW is telling some kind of spell before he use his skills? When i am fighting with HR he has more control than i have becouse he is all time immune or i am throwing my skill to long and he is much faster than i am, not to mention the time of CW control in pvp this is simply ridiculous. Tell me devs, have you ever played this game? or you only use calculations, charts and tables? Really...i have no words for this circus.
    This is why the old info on the first page needs to be updated. The casting times of some single target powers have been changed again back to what they are now on live shard. (However, their damages have been reduced.)

I agree that HR's speed of shooting arrows is insane. Archers need to take arrows from quivers and also need some time to aim their targets accurately. They should not shoot arrows so fast and non-stop like they are machine guns. There should be an animation of them taking arrows from quivers before shooting.
  • myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited July 2014
    Bug:
    Maesltrom of chaos : It never crit...

Since there is a work on spells, talking about Maelstrom of chaos. This is the daily at the top end of the tree. It should be the most effective spell. For now it is useless and never used. In 6 months of playing, i haven't seen a single CW use it (PVP or PVE): very little radius so it often miss targets and is difficult to use. Very very long cast time (unusable in pvp) with low damage for the cast time and number of enemies it can affect.
    I do some test on preview in dread ring and icewind dale, the biggest damage i've seen on a single target is 6000 (once). Any other daily did better than that. Can you take a look at it ?

Feats: Thaumaturge
    • Assailing Force: *REWORK* Dealing damage to foes has a chance to grant you Assailant. When you have Assailant your next encounter power deals 10% of the target's max HP as unresistable damage (max 500% weapon damage). This will only affect one target when used in an AoE.
    [...]
    Feats: Renegade
    • Chaos Magic: *REWORK* Dealing Damage to targets has a chance to apply Chaos Magic to yourself. When you are affected by Chaos Magic you cannot be affected by a new Chaos Magic. You will be affected by Chaotic Growth, Chaotic Nexus, or Chaotic Fury.

"a chance" ? This is 1%, 33%, 90 % ?

Actually on preview assailant not working often.
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
    edited July 2014
    myvain7 wrote: »
    Maesltrom of chaos : It never crit...

Since there is a work on spells, talking about Maelstrom of chaos. This is the daily at the top end of the tree. It should be the most effective spell. For now it is useless and never used. In 6 months of playing, i haven't seen a single CW use it (PVP or PVE): very little radius so it often miss targets and is difficult to use. Very very long cast time (unusable in pvp) with low damage for the cast time and number of enemies it can affect.
    I do some test on preview in dread ring and icewind dale, the biggest damage i've seen on a single target is 6000 (once). Any other daily did better than that. Can you take a look at it ?
    I would like to see it being reworked, too. But unless it becomes more useful than Arcane Singularity and Oppressive Force, there would be still no one uses it. Master of Flame's Furious Immolation is kinda useless, too.
    edited July 2014
    Singularity is now useless as a daily... 8 target limit is way to low for epic dungeons and even non-epic version, especially when the power description says "ALL TARGETS IN A LARGE AREA"... All is not 8, not 15 its every single mob in the targeted area. The cast time increase makes it un-castable in any dungeon that has interupters(Pirate King) or large numbers of range damage dealers(CN or VT)
    Agreed. Setting target limit on AOE powers is, in fact, against the nature of AOE powers. The problem is contents, not powers.
  • thanat0s666thanat0s666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've run a couple more ACT parses on both Live and Preview server with my Thauma Spellstorm CW in order to test single target skills. I've tested with both High Vizier and Profound Thauma sets. Weapon enchantment is a Greater Vorpal one.

Tested at Dread Ring dummies for about 5 mins long every time, spamming encounters whenever they became available: Icy Rays (Tab) > Ray of Enfeeblement > Entangling Force > Chill Strike. At Will: Ray of Frost and Daily: Ice Knife. Class Features: Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm.

Test on Live server with High Vizier set:
    f5tf.png

Test on Live server with Profound Thauma set:
    cec0.png

Test on Preview server with High Vizier set:
    xcnn.png

Test on Preview server with Profound Thauma set:
    kjc2.png

~~~ Conclusion ~~~
    There is a drop in DPS on all powers, with an exception of Icy Rays when looking at the High Vizier set:
    Total DPS: -14.6%
    Ray of Enfeeblement: -56.2%
    Chill Strike: -32.2%
    Entangling Force: -35.2%
    Ice Knife: -9.8%
    Icy Rays: +12.3%

On top of that, critical strikes on all hits dropped from 59% to 34%. This is due to the very low proc rate of Eye of the Storm, making this endgame class feature almost useless. In my opinion putting an internal counter of 25secs on it is still very high and it should be reworked.

The CW being already very bad in PVP will become worse nerfing the damage and the controll effects of all those single target powers. Those powers actually need a boost in DPS and also more control.
  • ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Will you guys verify whether orb of opposition, CONTROL BONUS STAT, and wisdom bonus to control actually extended control powers in PVP?
  • adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is a simple solution. Double our ability to control or remove the instant cast that other classes have. They also deserve to suffer like us.

About repel ability. Can enlarge the damage according to the distance that has been activated. Melee damage should be high and knock the target down.

I agree. It is already ridiculous that gf and especially gwfs have certain very strong instant long and mid range CC abilities (FS, flourish, roar, crescendo) which has to be anticipated for dodging maneuvers (in the case of crescendo and flourish dodging from the CC is completely impossible). These instant CC abilities of the other classes produce superior control capabilities of these classes. For example a GWF can immediately cast one of his instant CC abilities after you successfully dodged one, before your entangling force is casted. This ability (entangling force) is already taking too long on live. Now make the CWs casting times even longer.... and you will not see a CW in PvP anymore.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Rework: Destructive Wizardry : STORM PILLAR aoe persists for .3s/.6s/.9s/1.2s/1.5s
    edited July 2014
    adernath wrote: »

I agree. It is already ridiculous that gf and especially gwfs have certain very strong instant long and mid range CC abilities (FS, flourish, roar, crescendo) which has to be anticipated for dodging maneuvers (in the case of crescendo and flourish dodging from the CC is completely impossible). These instant CC abilities of the other classes produce superior control capabilities of these classes. For example a GWF can immediately cast one of his instant CC abilities after you successfully dodged one, before your entangling force is casted. This ability (entangling force) is already taking too long on live. Now make the CWs casting times even longer.... and you will not see a CW in PvP anymore.
    TR and HR have instant-cast cc's, too.

It's ironic that CW being a controller class has the longest casting times and other non-controller classes can do instant cc.
  • relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    TAB change suggestion:

Someone suggested to change Tab for CW in a way it would grant additional CC effect to each spell.

I really like how Tab works for DC and TR. They have more options once their divinity/stealth bar is ready.
    CW has to pick only one power (on tab) with additional effect (so if it goes for encounters, has only 4 powers to choose from), whereas for TRs and DCs every power has additional effect with tab (granting them 6 options in game total). I'm only talking about choice here. CW is pretty limited in that regard. For me, I'd give away additional encounter for some kind of meter that once filled would allow me to decide which additional effect of my 3 encounters I'd like to exercise.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
This discussion has been closed.