What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

the game is lagging

Comments

• Options
    ggyuggyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can't play at all today, Keep server not respond and Disconnect and hug spikes of lag today
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Attachment not found.

This is the traceroute.Now i can't even walk in PE.Server not responding all the time!

It can't be my fault!I've been playing this game since November,never experienced those kind of issues!

No one has ever said that it's YOUR fault or the SERVER'S fault. We have simply said that the problem usually lies somewhere in the route getting there. FYI: It's impossible to read your traceroute image. Please right click on the command prompt window, select "Copy" and paste the results to your post.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    photini1986photini1986 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms <1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 37 ms 37 ms 38 ms bbras-llu-kln-15L500.forthnet.gr [213.16.246.12]

3 40 ms 38 ms 38 ms 213.16.247.1
    4 93 ms 39 ms 39 ms core-kln-12Be2.forthnet.gr [213.16.247.13]
    5 53 ms 53 ms 52 ms xe-9-1-0.bar1.Sofia2.Level3.net [212.162.46.109]

6 75 ms 76 ms 75 ms ae-17-17.ebr3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.143.12
    6]
    7 75 ms 75 ms 75 ms ae-83-83.csw3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.163.10
    ]
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * 77 ms 78 ms be3020.rcr21.fra06.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.1
    5.193]
    10 119 ms 117 ms 115 ms be2304.ccr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.74
    .73]
    11 127 ms 121 ms 120 ms be2261.ccr41.ams03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.37
    .29]
    12 94 ms 93 ms 93 ms be2277.mpd21.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.62
    .145]
    13 171 ms 174 ms 173 ms be2390.ccr21.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.44
    .221]
    14 178 ms 178 ms 180 ms te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42
    ]
    15 * 165 ms 177 ms 38.111.40.114
    16 172 ms 173 ms 173 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    No one has ever said that it's YOUR fault or the SERVER'S fault. We have simply said that the problem usually lies somewhere in the route getting there. FYI: It's impossible to read your traceroute image. Please right click on the command prompt window, select "Copy" and paste the results to your post.

You know where is the problem and there should be solution for that hop between the user and the server right ?
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    This latency /server not responding issue is annoying and to think I keep login every now and then to check /hope for the game to be playable again. :mad:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms cm1.gamma136.maxonline.com.sg [202.156.136.1]
    3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 172.20.35.65
    4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 172.26.35.1
    5 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms 172.20.7.98
    6 63 ms 13 ms 10 ms 203.117.34.73
    7 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms six2asr9kts01.starhub.net.sg [203.117.34.9]
    8 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 203.117.34.38
    9 11 ms 34 ms 11 ms 203.116.61.118
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 269 ms 271 ms 269 ms 65.120.117.250
    12 270 ms 271 ms 270 ms border11.te7-1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.4
    1]
    13 272 ms 269 ms 269 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.
    61.78]
    14 270 ms 267 ms 267 ms patchserver2.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]

Trace complete.

After so much debate and posting of traceroutes and such, am I right to say that nothing can be done or will to be done at Cryptics side to fix this problematic latency issue that players outside of US zones are facing? We can only hope that somehow somewhere the hops which we r connected to will go off by itself ?

Again, it's the issue of the route. Unless the latency is starting and ONLY at the last hop on the trace (which would be the server), then it's outside Cryptic's immediate control.

It's not the fault of being American or not and those arguments are uncalled for, because even American players experience latency issues. It's the reality of how the internet works.
    ggyu wrote: »
    You know where is the problem and there should be solution for that hop between the user and the server right ?

Knowing where the problem is and being able to fix it are two completely different animals, especially when the problem is outside Cryptic's ability to address.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Again, it's the issue of the route. Unless the latency is starting and ONLY at the last hop on the trace (which would be the server), then it's outside Cryptic's immediate control.

It's not the fault of being American or not and those arguments are uncalled for, because even American players experience latency issues. It's the reality of how the internet works.

Knowing where the problem is and being able to fix it are two completely different animals, especially when the problem is outside Cryptic's ability to address.

I understand there big different but that should be fixed by anyway soon, I can't play today at all, no chats load, no moving, spikes all over map
    KILLERDDDD
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    by morbid curiosity, I decided to do the same with conan (bad game, but anyway).

some values ​​are above 250 ... but it runs perfectly fine here. no idea if is relevant or no, but... well, i try.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    zacazu wrote: »
    by morbid curiosity, I decided to do the same with conan (bad game, but anyway).

some values ​​are above 250 ... but it runs perfectly fine here. no idea if is relevant or no, but... well, i try.

That's irrelevant, actually. That's the same as expecting to be able to drive perfectly fine to Buenos Aires simply because you can drive to Sao Paulo just fine. Different routes, different issues.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    in short: no argentina for me:(

well in this case it's me who cries, but life goes on.
  • Options
    crimehomecrimehome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nothing to do many ppl in guild have this problem too.
  • Options
    crazyjesusopcrazyjesusop Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1. How can 200ms hop cause 50 seconds (FIFTY) of Server not responding?
    2. Most of these problems (if not all) started recently. I am not talking about frame drops, but about rubberbanding (when you get teleported around with "Server not responding" popping from time to time). And you're telling me JUST when MOD3 was released, some router on the way started making all of these problems? What a coincidence!
    3. I am not convinced this is "beyond" Cryptic's reach, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is. Why do you think players would care? If players notice another MMO which have no issues like these, they may leave this game.... this game which have so much content, where many things actually work properly... and why? Because some unsolvable rubberbanding? Players are like any other consumers. If they cannot consume the product (do I really need to finish this sentence or someone will start listening??)

While I was typing this, I was "teleported" around Remorhaz in IP. Can't do anything. Can't win anything. Oh, wait, I won "Broken leg" and -1 to Injury kit. Now if I could only get this "Server not responding (30 sec)" to stop counting so I could finally release and at least wait on campfire for my response from **** server/router/anything...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    1. How can 200ms hop cause 50 seconds (FIFTY) of Server not responding?
    2. Most of these problems (if not all) started recently. I am not talking about frame drops, but about rubberbanding (when you get teleported around with "Server not responding" popping from time to time). And you're telling me JUST when MOD3 was released, some router on the way started making all of these problems? What a coincidence!
    3. I am not convinced this is "beyond" Cryptic's reach, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is. Why do you think players would care? If players notice another MMO which have no issues like these, they may leave this game.... this game which have so much content, where many things actually work properly... and why? Because some unsolvable rubberbanding? Players are like any other consumers. If they cannot consume the product (do I really need to finish this sentence or someone will start listening??)

While I was typing this, I was "teleported" around Remorhaz in IP. Can't do anything. Can't win anything. Oh, wait, I won "Broken leg" and -1 to Injury kit. Now if I could only get this "Server not responding (30 sec)" to stop counting so I could finally release and at least wait on campfire for my response from **** server/router/anything...

I would invite you to check any other games' forums and see how many players over there are complaining about latency. Bottom line is a "lag-free" game simply doesn't exist.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    tonysoltonysol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi everyone,

Sorry but I think we're going a bit off track here with the issue. It IS real, but as mentioned above it probably isn't due to Cryptic's servers themselves. Something is definitely different these past few days.
    There is an asymmetry in the expertise in sorting out this issue here, between us as players and Cryptic, with it's professionals. I'm just wondering if based on the data we have given whether the experts can give us some idea of what the issue is.
    I'm no networking guy, but is it due to some specific gateway from international sites to the US that is the issue (for example - I dunno, that's why I'm asking). Perhaps Cryptic's experts can help look into this.
    On my part, I will speak to my ISP helpdesk about this issue as well, but I would point out that Cryptic has a greater stake in trying to help sort this out as we ARE playing their game. Has Cryptic noticed a significant drop in the number of players logging in from non-US sites in the past two days? (Sorry for the long post) ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tonysol wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Sorry but I think we're going a bit off track here with the issue. It IS real, but as mentioned above it probably isn't due to Cryptic's servers themselves. Something is definitely different these past few days.
    There is an asymmetry in the expertise in sorting out this issue here, between us as players and Cryptic, with it's professionals. I'm just wondering if based on the data we have given whether the experts can give us some idea of what the issue is.
    I'm no networking guy, but is it due to some specific gateway from international sites to the US that is the issue (for example - I dunno, that's why I'm asking). Perhaps Cryptic's experts can help look into this.
    On my part, I will speak to my ISP helpdesk about this issue as well, but I would point out that Cryptic has a greater stake in trying to help sort this out as we ARE playing their game. Has Cryptic noticed a significant drop in the number of players logging in from non-US sites in the past two days? (Sorry for the long post) ;)

I'm pretty sure that Cryptic has been looking into that particular hop that I've mentioned several times in this thread (te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com) for awhile now, as it's been problematic since before NW went live (around the time that Sandy hit the northeast US was when the problems got really bad, but that was about two years ago, they made a big to-do about it on the STO forums). That one I know of for sure.

Bottom line I'm trying to say, though, is that your route is only as fast as the slowest relay in it. Doesn't matter what connection you pay your ISP for, or how good your network or PC is, if there's a slowdown in the route from A to B, there's going to be latency.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    talldsntalldsn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Neverwinter became mmorpg more lagged all.

Hit my record with 20,000 ping. Where ever saw log into an online game, with excellent internet, and only in mmorpg Neverwinter submit an absurd latency that makes the game unplayable.

And to make matters worse, the proxy launcher are no longer working for me. Whenever I try to connect the game I'm disconnected before you even go to the character selection screen, either with the proxy US and EU. I wonder why this is happening recently?

NW always played using the proxy launcher.

It's disheartening to play Neverwinter with this problems that arise mysteriously.

Another problem constant is unbearable message "SERVER NOT RESPONDING".

Why developers don't make a extraordinary maintenance on the game servers of Neverwinter?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    talldsn wrote: »
    Neverwinter became mmorpg more lagged all.

Hit my record with 20,000 ping. Where ever saw log into an online game, with excellent internet, and only in mmorpg Neverwinter submit an absurd latency that makes the game unplayable.

And to make matters worse, the proxy launcher are no longer working for me. Whenever I try to connect the game I'm disconnected before you even go to the character selection screen, either with the proxy US and EU. I wonder why this is happening recently?

NW always played using the proxy launcher.

It's disheartening to play Neverwinter with this problems that arise mysteriously.

Another problem constant is unbearable message "SERVER NOT RESPONDING".

Why developers don't make a extraordinary maintenance on the game servers of Neverwinter?

Let me say this again: Ping, by itself, is useless for determining network issues.

Also, let me say this again--as I know I have at least three times in this thread alone.

That you can play X or Y MMO without lag does not guarantee that you will be able to play NW without lag because different routes to the server are involved. Also, your internet does not matter--your route is only as fast as your weakest relay.

It's like saying you should have a smooth ride along the freeway even though there's a massive pileup delaying traffic. You aren't going to find out where that pileup is on ping alone.

If you want an idea of how your route from your PC to the game server is actually behaving, do run a traceroute as has been specified multiple times. There's probably something problematic in the route--especially with that high of a ping.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    talldsntalldsn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So explain to me why you did not have before this lag that is currently?

Also explain why the proxy launcher is not working for me?

Because it constantly keeps popping up this message: Server not responding?

Because this REVC in /netpgraph 1 gets increasing hauntingly up to 1 million freezing the game?

Because it is affecting so many people and not others?

I keep suggesting extraordinary maintenance on the game servers.
  • Options
    elsumonnerelsumonner Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if it really have any importance but i cannot run cryptic net test. It doesn't start after port 80.
  • Options
    deathmysteriousdeathmysterious Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So i am going to ask something most of us having the problem really want to know and ignore all the other stuff you are saying over and over in this thread(no offense there you are trying your best). Is this problem fixable or not? its causing problem for too many people and we want to know if we should have at least hope for a fix or just give up.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't have general lag issues (no rubberbanding) but I've noticed problems with certain skills causing lag/little freezes, such as:
    - Hallowed Ground (DC daily), causing some freeze when cast;
    - some Jawbone skill (summoning adds and casting the poison/stun circle, it seems - could be caused by those dark flames animation appearing around summoned stuff);
    - IWD undead mobs black ice skills.
    Also for the last week I've noticed an increasing drop in game responsiveness in the IWD area, mostly noticeable in combat and when playing TR - half of the hits don't seem to land on mobs.
  • Options
    princessdazzprincessdazz Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have a question about this latency. if is overall latency, if I type something in chat, I should expect some delay in my chat appearing right? What's happening to me now is while" server not responding" showing top of my screen and mins/secs running. I can still type in party and guild chats . no signs of latency Please someone explain to me is this normal?

Well maintenance 7am - 9 am, ( Pacific time ) and that is i think 4-6 pm time for europe, i hope they will fix this problem

no patchnote. just server restart......lets put our fingers crossed though I didn't pin much hope
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    So i am going to ask something most of us having the problem really want to know and ignore all the other stuff you are saying over and over in this thread(no offense there you are trying your best).

Lew has worked in tech support for years and I am a huge (and I do mean huge) tech geek (and proud).
    While you may not like our answers we do have a lot of knowledge in the subject. Ignoring it is truly akin to ignoring your mother telling you the stove is hot. You may not like the answer but you won't get better.

It's because I am such a huge tech geek a cringe everytime one of you posts about your "lag issues" which are not related to networks at all. For instance Post #81 called his freezes (FPS drops) lag and then you wonder why I don't believe the few who are having real network caused lag?

To put this simply, if you are having FPS drops (which has nothing to do with network connections) then you are like most everybody else playing the game right now and all you can do until Cryptic tracks down the cause of the performance issues is lower your graphics settings.

If you are having network lag then you have to track down the cause (this can only be done from your end really) and if it is not at Cryptic's end they can not do much about it. All they can do is what you can: call your ISP and let them know about the problem, poke and prod them until they either try to avoid certain hubs or contact the hub to resolve their network issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have a question about this latency. if is overall latency, if I type something in chat, I should expect some delay in my chat appearing right? What's happening to me now is while" server not responding" showing top of my screen and mins/secs running. I can still type in party and guild chats . no signs of latency Please someone explain to me is this normal?

Well maintenance 7am - 9 am, ( Pacific time ) and that is i think 4-6 pm time for europe, i hope they will fix this problem

no patchnote. just server restart......lets put our fingers crossed though I didn't pin much hope

Chat is on its own dedicated server, hence the reason you can talk to friends in different Cryptic games. It's completely within the realm of possibility for your game connection to be iffy while chat works fine, and chats do have a greater tolerance for packet loss than real-time gameplay.
    elsumonner wrote: »
    I don't know if it really have any importance but i cannot run cryptic net test. It doesn't start after port 80.

Try making sure that your firewall (assuming you have one, and it appears that you may) is not blocking the program. Port 80 is your standard HTTP port--the one through which most of your webpage traffic comes through...so if it's not getting through that it's a fair bet that your firewall is blocking it outright.

Consult the documentation or help file with your firewall for instructions on how to do this.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    if I type something in chat, I should expect some delay in my chat appearing right? What's happening to me now is while" server not responding" showing top of my screen and mins/secs running. I can still type in party and guild chats . no signs of latency

It is hard to understand your exact issue.

If you are having latency causing you to disconnect from the server if the client doesn't lock up you might be able to appear to behave normally such as typing messages. However those won't go through to other players.

If Disconecting from Server is appearing at the top of the screen and you are moving and interacting with other players with no sign of latency that sounds like a display issue you should report explaining what occured when the message first arose.

If you are locked up (as in can not move) but can still type and talk with other players, I have never heard of this before but while I am not sure why it would be possible it's not unexplainable. Text messages take a significantly lower amount of bandwidth to operate and while the chat program is packaged together in a pretty shell it is a psuedo-separate program.

I'm trying but failing to think of an everyday comparison. Basically if we pretend pieces of data were apples the game would require you to have a basket to continue to function. Since the chat program can function if you only carry a couple of apples at a time the game may fall below the minimum requirements but the chat program still can transfer enough data to function.

EDIT - Lew Ninja'd me. Yes I really did spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to explain different network requirements for different programs.
  • Options
    deathmysteriousdeathmysterious Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Lew has worked in tech support for years and I am a huge (and I do mean huge) tech geek (and proud).
    While you may not like our answers we do have a lot of knowledge in the subject. Ignoring it is truly akin to ignoring your mother telling you the stove is hot. You may not like the answer but you won't get better.

It's because I am such a huge tech geek a cringe everytime one of you posts about your "lag issues" which are not related to networks at all. For instance Post #81 called his freezes (FPS drops) lag and then you wonder why I don't believe the few who are having real network caused lag?

To put this simply, if you are having FPS drops (which has nothing to do with network connections) then you are like most everybody else playing the game right now and all you can do until Cryptic tracks down the cause of the performance issues is lower your graphics settings.

If you are having network lag then you have to track down the cause (this can only be done from your end really) and if it is not at Cryptic's end they can not do much about it. All they can do is what you can: call your ISP and let them know about the problem, poke and prod them until they either try to avoid certain hubs or contact the hub to resolve their network issues.

Well when i get the server not responding message (every 1-2 minutes) neither my fps or my ms drop both stay as they where before (59-60) and (100-150) soo what should i do?

EDIT: i can also write in chat when this happens as the guy above mentioned.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Chat is on its own dedicated server, hence the reason you can talk to friends in different Cryptic games. It's completely within the realm of possibility for your game connection to be iffy while chat works fine, and chats do have a greater tolerance for packet loss than real-time gameplay.

Please correct me if I am wrong, only server responsible for character action is lagging for me now while server/(s) responsible for other function is ok.
    when I cant move or "server not responding" appear, my chats went through to other players smoothly coz during the 1min+ server not responding.i type many lines and my guildmates responded to me perfectly well
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Please correct me if I am wrong, only server responsible for character action is lagging for me now while server/(s) responsible for other function is ok.
    when I cant move or "server not responding" appear, my chats went through to other players smoothly coz during the 1min+ server not responding.i type many lines and my guildmates responded to me perfectly well

Yes, that's about it. However, as also explained above, you may not be experiencing chat latency due to the simple matter that simple text requires far less bandwidth to send and therefore may not be affected by the same issue that may affect gameplay.

Again, it's important to run diagnostic tests (such as traceroutes and nettest) to determine where a routing issue may lie.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• Options
    edited June 2014
    while I was at Dread Ring zone, I cant move and server not responding message is up for about 5 mins. Afterwhich I got disconnected, put to character selection page and when I quickly log back on, everythings works smoothly , I can play perfectly well with no latency issue. until I teleport out to another zone eg: Sharandar, my nightmare starts.

so in conclusion
    1) I play well in one zone eg: Ice wind dale, and without switching channel/relog, I teleport to another zone eg:PE. my latency issue began
    2) I have no latency problem in PE, thinking lag is gone, I teleport to Sharandar my nightmare begun

my best bet now is to hope to get into a playable server/channel and camp there forever without switching zone.
    this is the only temporary solution I give to myself
  • Options
    gogu79gogu79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    while I was at Dread Ring zone, I cant move and server not responding message is up for about 5 mins. Afterwhich I got disconnected, put to character selection page and when I quickly log back on, everythings works smoothly , I can play perfectly well with no latency issue. until I teleport out to another zone eg: Sharandar, my nightmare starts.

so in conclusion
    1) I play well in one zone eg: Ice wind dale, and without switching channel/relog, I teleport to another zone eg:PE. my latency issue began
    2) I have no latency problem in PE, thinking lag is gone, I teleport to Sharandar my nightmare begun

my best bet now is to hope to get into a playable server/channel and camp there forever without switching zone.

Congratz finaly someone who explain correctly what issue is in game
    Admin read this cuz this is problem on Newerwinter and i dont think is ours graphic or internet connections this is newerwinter server problem some map work fine and when change map (dungeon or X-Y ) nightmare starts with lag and server not responding
    Dragons? On MY Way !!
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited June 2014

so in conclusion

Yep, I had the same issue. I was playing normally in Sharandar, then I zone in Quickling Den and everything lags badly. Back to Sharandar, and it keeps lagging. Change instance to a less populated one and it again works perfectly. Go to PE, heavy lag again. Change PE instance, a lot less lag. Go to Caer-Konig, works like a charm.

Looks like it depends on what server the instance is hosted or something like that. :/
This discussion has been closed.