test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Audio-related Bugs - please post here!

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spirals999 wrote: »
    So I took a look at this and the event *is* working. the problem is there is no audio at the beginning of the event. So there are sporadic seagull sounds that mar or not play based on random percentages and the first seagull plays a few seconds into the event. What this means is, nothing will play when first clicking on the name and you'll have to wait a little bit to actually hear the birds.

Birds, Seagulls 1 is actually just a more sparse version of Birds, Seagull 2.

However today I decided to rework the event so that it has audio at the beginning of the file and the seagulls are triggered a bit quicker. Expect this change to go out some time around the launch of M3.

You are the man. Sorry - I could have sworn I listened for at least 15-20 seconds to anything that sounded silent for just that reason. I must have just missed it. :p

But, sounds like a good change, and maybe a "best practices" to keep in mind for future sound effects.
    (Displaying a recording-length would be a nice little info bit sometime in the future).
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Could you be more specific about the name of the critter and where I could find them? I just took a look generally around dread ring but could not reproduce the error you mentioned.

When last I heard this, it was one of the Thayan Red Wizards around the sphere of annihilation (I think they're evokers).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    When last I heard this, it was one of the Thayan Red Wizards around the sphere of annihilation (I think they're evokers).

Evokers are female :)

I know with the costume fx and the lack of hair its difficult to tell.
  • spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We are currently aware of a bug which is not allowing music events in the foundry editor to be previewed. We are working to have this resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    edited May 2014
    We are currently aware of a bug which is not allowing music events in the foundry editor to be previewed. We are working to have this resolved as soon as possible.

Um?...we still can't even get INTO the foundry, so previewing is impossible.
    Foundry button continues to be disabled and tooltip says "Foundry is unavailable at this time."
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The volume on the new HR Pathfinder ability.. unnh, I just forgot the name.. The one that puts a crosshairs on the target (anyone? someone with actual memory that works?)

The volume is far too loud, much louder than anything else in the game, and because HRs seem to spam it endlessly, it's quite headache-inducing. It probably needs a tweaking pass, knock the amplitude down at least 30% :)

It's really unpleasant, especially in headphones.
  • zamajezamaje Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There is a section in Mod 3 (Icewind Pass) that is above the cave entrance to Briggan's Tomb that when you are walking on the mountain portion above it, it plays the cave ambiance noise.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A few pages back you said you fixed the Karrundax issue internally, but it still is unresolved.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Ok guys, this one nearly caught me out!

I noticed that the flaming torches in Trade Of Blades were making the sound of running water. Then I went into PvP Domination, as so was the campfire. I haven't checked every single fire in the game, but every one that I have seen since today's patch seems to be having an elemental existential crisis :D
  • serapha1serapha1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I haven't seen anything else about it yet, maybe I'm missing a thread somewhere... but it seems like in the Tower District there are a LOT of ambient sounds looping on infinite repeat. The one I seem to get every time I enter the zone (either on first loading the game or entering from another area) is the squeak of the swinging sign over the Tower Tavern door. I've also heard the belching sounds that play within the tavern area. I hear there no matter what area of the whole zone I'm in, and the only way to remove the sound is to turn off Ambient sounds entirely, which makes it feel deathly quiet.
  • solokittensolokitten Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    you're not the only one. Since today's patch ambient sounds are in chaos, and not just the tower district. Chat is filled with players complaining about it. Will get fixed tomorrow probably/hopefully
    edited June 2014
    Just went through the foundry to preview some sounds and it seems dozens, and dozens, and dozens of sounds are messed up.
    Fires that sound like crowds, rivers, screaming.
    Rivers that sound like fires and falling humans, etc.
    Some still seem correct but LOTS are all messed up.
  • domslot1domslot1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited June 2014
    Going quietly deranged listening to this looping background....
    edited June 2014
    Sorry everyone, it seems the hamster has fell off his wheel again behind the scenes here at Cryptic. We are dreadfully sorry for the sonic chaos this has caused and we want you to know the we're aware and working on a solution.
    edited June 2014
    As this was reported directly following the patch yesterday, why was there no awareness of it yesterday?

So instead of possibly fixing it in todays patch, we're doomed to spend the entire weekend with
    Gruumsh's wacko funhouse, and the Nashers gears in the machine?
    ...and torches that sound like rivers, and rivers that sound like screaming souls being dragged into hell?
    edited June 2014
    A Patch has been pushed through as fast as we could to correct the issue. If you experience any other sounds which broke with the last patch and have not yet been fixed please let us know. Thank you so much for your patience.
  • myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited June 2014
    A Patch has been pushed through as fast as we could to correct the issue. If you experience any other sounds which broke with the last patch and have not yet been fixed please let us know. Thank you so much for your patience.

The (blue) flaming torches make a strange noise at the top of Dread Spire (not sure how it translate... this is the tower in dread ring where the boss is a knight commander).
    Perhaps this is intentional, I had never paid attention before.

:)

/edit : same strange noise near the salvage area in protector's enclave.
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
    edited June 2014
    Sound Problems (Post Patch NW.15.20140528a.9)
    • Birds, seagulls 2 - silent
    • Black Dagger Mines 1/2/3/Ruins - all identical
    • Boss 1/2 Victory - identical
    • Coughing 1 - (nearly silent, very, very low volume)
    • Crowd, panic close 1 - ?? distant panicking zombies ??
    • Graveyard/Graveyard Fanfare - identical
    • Grey Wolf Den Ambience 2/2 - duplicated menu labels
    • Helms Hold Ambient 2/4 - identical
    • Helms Hold Fanfare 1/2 - identical
    • Helms Hold Intro/Mission 01 - identical
    • Horse Snort - (randomized) 1 of 4(?) is silent
    • Ice Spire mountain path ambience 3/4 - identical?
    • Lizardfolk/Mindflayer Warcray Randomized - identical
    • Monster taunt, Shock Troop Devil - only 1 of (?) not silent
    • Neighborhood Rift/Helms Hold Rift/Vellosk Rift - identical
    • Neverwinter City ambience 1/3 - forest/wilderness nighttime??
    • Portal 1/Portal 1 - duplicated menu labels
    • Spellplague Tower Dungeon/Helms Hold Rift - identical
    • Tavern Amb2/Amb3/_Amb - identical
    • Tower District/Stormcaller Caves - identical
    • Watchers Forest/TOS Ranger Camp - identical
    • Water wheel 1/Windmill 1 - identical
    • Xinkar Ruins - not looping
    edited June 2014
    Thank you, Eldarth for organizing that information so clearly. Makes our job easier and faster and we appreciate it.
    myvain7 wrote: »
    The (blue) flaming torches make a strange noise at the top of Dread Spire (not sure how it translate... this is the tower in dread ring where the boss is a knight commander).
    Perhaps this is intentional, I had never paid attention before.

:)

/edit : same strange noise near the salvage area in protector's enclave.

Thank you. We'll be looking into these issues and getting them resolved as fast as we can.
  • gogu79gogu79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    can someone help me ?
    I got this crash game when want to enter in Straight to Helm
    Afther that verified all files and crash still persist i cant go on this event

Fatal Error : Hog file incorect/unreadable version: 7
    Technical Details : Hog file incorect/unreadable version : bin/geobin/maps/adventure zone/az_hh_straight_to_helm/az_hh_straight_to_helm/world_cript_entries.hogg: 7

is there any solution for that ?
    Dragons? On MY Way !!
    edited June 2014
    Makes our job easier and faster and we appreciate it.

That's the plan. :p
    I think there are a few more "duplicates" but my audio memory couldn't re-locate the pairs.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I wanted to point out that there's a great deal of wolf howling in Malabog's Castle. It's especially obvious at the last leg of the quest when the PC group is headed back out to face Fulminorax.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014

Thanks BeckyLunatic. Looking into it.
    edited June 2014
    An update on some of the reported issues we have looked into:

Fixed
    • Monster taunt, Shock Troop Devil - only 1 of (?) not silent
    • Lizardfolk/Mindflayer Warcray Randomized - identical
    • Horse Snort - (randomized) 1 of 4(?) is silent

Working as intended
    • Birds, seagulls 2 - silent
      (They're quiet and randomized. Keep clicking on it and you'll hear this working.)
    • Xinkar Ruins - not looping
      (not meant to loop)
    • Water wheel 1/Windmill 1 - identical
      (the windmill sound is a slowed down version of the water wheel)
    • Neverwinter City ambience 1/3 - forest/wilderness nighttime??
      (Yes. these were designed for PE night maps)
    • Ice Spire mountain path ambience 3/4 - identical?
      (One has a smaller radius but otherwise they are identical)

Duplicate Names (See Note 1)
    • Portal 1/Portal 1 - duplicated menu labels
    • Grey Wolf Den Ambience 2/2 - duplicated menu labels

Duplicates (See Note 2)
    • Tavern Amb2/Amb3/_Amb - identical
    • Tower District/Stormcaller Caves - identical
    • Watchers Forest/TOS Ranger Camp - identical
    • Spellplague Tower Dungeon/Helms Hold Rift - identical
    • Helms Hold Ambient 2/4 - identical
    • Helms Hold Fanfare 1/2 - identical
    • Helms Hold Intro/Mission 01 - identical
    • Black Dagger Mines 1/2/3/Ruins - all identical
    • Boss 1/2 Victory - identical
    • Graveyard/Graveyard Fanfare - identical

Note 1

Regarding Duplicate Names:
    Events with duplicate names present a special problem and one that we're not gonna fix on the live branch. The problem comes from the fact that ugc authors have undoubtedly implemented these events in their maps. Changing the names of the maps could cause errors in those maps. We will look into fixing duplicated names in the next module.

Note 2

Regarding Duplicate Music Events:

Okay folks get comfortable. I'm about to tell you a story about music events in UGC. A long time ago during the formation of the foundry a designer not of the audio department populated the available music events you see today. The events were populated from the names of the events that the audio department created while developing the launch build. The problem with this of course is that the audio department would use the same music in different maps but name the events by map. So for example if we used a piece of music in both the Stormcaller Caves and The Tower District, we would create two events in our middleware engine and they would have two different names but call the same music. Someone who wasn't familiar with the system would see two different names and assume they were two different pieces of music and Voila, we have duplicate events in the foundry.

Can't you just delete the duplicates?:

No we can't. Authors have populated their maps with with these music events and deleting the events would invalidate their maps and prevent them from publishing.

Well then can't you keep the names the same but just put in different music?:

Theoretically yes, we could do that. IF we had enough music to fill all of the duplicate events. Sadly we do not at this time. The conclusion is that we all have to live with duplicate music events until such time when we have the resources to come up with a more elegant solution.

myvain7 wrote: »
    The (blue) flaming torches make a strange noise at the top of Dread Spire

Investigated this and they appear to be making the proper sounds.
    umaeko wrote: »
    I wanted to point out that there's a great deal of wolf howling in Malabog's Castle. It's especially obvious at the last leg of the quest when the PC group is headed back out to face Fulminorax.

Investigated this and was unable to duplicate.

It would appear the shenanigans caused by the major malfunction last Thursday have been corrected by Fridays patch.
    edited June 2014
    Working as intended
    • Xinkar Ruins - not looping (not meant to loop)
    ...then perhaps the "looping" flag/tag/attribute should be removed? ;)
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sound and animation of the GWF's Indomitable Battle Strike are out of sync. Most times the sound plays after the animation ended.
    edited June 2014
    eldarth wrote: »

Good point. The correction will be made.

As always any fixes and updates I mention can be expected within a couple patches unless otherwise stated.
    edited June 2014
    Audio update:

Removed Zombie grunts from the following neck items:

Glorious Mantle of The Host Tower
    House Xorlarrin Cloak
    zamaje wrote: »
    There is a section in Mod 3 (Icewind Pass) that is above the cave entrance to Briggan's Tomb that when you are walking on the mountain portion above it, it plays the cave ambiance noise.

That area has been reworked to fix the audio issues.
    Sound and animation of the GWF's Indomitable Battle Strike are out of sync. Most times the sound plays after the animation ended.

This could not be reproduced. Could anyone else collaborate this as a persistent issues?

eldarth wrote: »

The "looping" flag has been removed from the Xinkar Ruins music event.

Control Wizard:

Maelstrom of Chaos has been fixed. The power was previously not playing the proper charging/pre-activation audio.

These changes should go out in the next couple of patches.

Thanks!