test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Audio-related Bugs - please post here!

Comments

• spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Various cloaks/neck items are still causing characters to make grunting or squealing noise when jumping. I don't know if that's considered an audio bug or an item bug. And I'm sorry I can't provide a list. When people complain about it, I just tell them to check if removing their neck item makes it stop.

Triggering the boss cutscene in the Arcane Reservoir also causes an event notification sound to play, which isn't consistent with other story cutscenes.

The cloak/neck item issue is definitely one that needs to be taken care of but very hard to find. This is where we really need the players help. Whenever you see/hear a player making weird noises please take a note down of the specific item and put it here on the forums. This would help us out tremendously.

Thank you for the heads up about the boss cutscene in the arcane reservoir. We'll check it out.
  • spirals999spirals999 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

And whatever routine reads the FMOD file to return the selection list to the foundry sounds like it just needs a simple blacklist or to detect empty data records and filter those out of the dropdowns. Nothing drastic, but does take time to checkout code, go thru QA, etc. But it would prevent some of these little wrinkles if someone deletes the data and not the data+event in the future.

I agree. This seems to be a fairly simple check system to set up but it does require programmer time, and getting FMOD and the foundry code to shake hands and play nice. This is a system that we hope to get programmer time for in the future.

Keep up the good work -- and we want mooooooore sounds and music! :-)

Edit: If you need any kind of tech info or testing anything specific just PM me -- I've been a developer for 38 years, so I'm pretty familiar with things. :-)

We'll keep that in mind. Thank you! One of the things that we've actually been considering is making sounds specifically for Foundry authors. The first task of course being to get those pesky chime sounds you've been wanting to be useable and behave :)

But maybe what you and perhaps some of your fellow authors can do, is put together a list of some sounds you might want for your foundry projects and we can see about getting a dedicated event list going for you guys. I can't promise anything of course but this seems like it would be fairly easy to do.

A couple rules though:

- Do not make requests for music
    - Do not make requests for VO

We can easily do things like one shots. Trap doors, magical sounds, weapons sounds, Chains, levers, Moving walls, You get the idea...
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    spirals999 wrote: »
    I agree. This seems to be a fairly simple check system to set up but it does require programmer time, and getting FMOD and the foundry code to shake hands and play nice. This is a system that we hope to get programmer time for in the future.

I'll gladly buy them a cot they can sleep on at the office. :-)

We'll keep that in mind. Thank you! One of the things that we've actually been considering is making sounds specifically for Foundry authors. The first task of course being to get those pesky chime sounds you've been wanting to be useable and behave :)

But maybe what you and perhaps some of your fellow authors can do, is put together a list of some sounds you might want for your foundry projects and we can see about getting a dedicated event list going for you guys. I can't promise anything of course but this seems like it would be fairly easy to do.

A couple rules though:

- Do not make requests for music
    - Do not make requests for VO

We can easily do things like one shots. Trap doors, magical sounds, weapons sounds, Chains, levers, Moving walls, You get the idea...

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'll try and put forth the seed of a list tonight!

...and here 'tis: Request: Sounds for Foundry
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When the Robe of Useless Items drops an item on the ground, the same sound plays as when you add an item to your collections.

This is extremely distracting, and probably not WAI since finding a piece of broken glass is not actually a very epic accomplishment.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all!
    We'd like to consolidate some of the audio-related bug reports in this thread. Please feel free to post any audio bug reports here!
    I want Audio turned off permanentely.
    Whenever I switch toons I have turn audio off again and again an again.
    Please remember my toons setting!
    I don't want to turn off my speakers every time I log in to the gateway at the office.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    edited December 2013
    When the Robe of Useless Items drops an item on the ground, the same sound plays as when you add an item to your collections.

This is extremely distracting, and probably not WAI since finding a piece of broken glass is not actually a very epic accomplishment.

We agree. This issue has been brought to the attention of the UI department and will hopefully be resolved in the coming weeks. Thanks!
    edited December 2013
    The cloak/neck item issue is definitely one that needs to be taken care of but very hard to find. This is where we really need the players help. Whenever you see/hear a player making weird noises please take a note down of the specific item and put it here on the forums. This would help us out tremendously.

Here's one:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?550561-Grand-Excorcist-s-Necklace-of-Blessing-causes-wierd-noises

I will add Mantle of the Aboleth to the list.

(And can you please prod whichever of your colleagues deals with spelling to correct all instances of "Excorcist" to Exorcist? Please?)

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited December 2013
    Here's one:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?550561-Grand-Excorcist-s-Necklace-of-Blessing-causes-wierd-noises

I will add Mantle of the Aboleth to the list.

(And can you please prod whichever of your colleagues deals with spelling to correct all instances of "Excorcist" to Exorcist? Please?)

Thanks BeckyLunatic! Keep em coming!
    edited December 2013
    I posted this in the foundry audio request thread but it bears repeating here:

We have finally identified the cause of the broken events in the list that is made available to authors. We will resolve this issue plus add more available sound events to the list. Please be patient, as this update might not go out for a few months.

Thank you
    edited January 2014
    edited January 2014
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Only discovered this in my quest today, seems to have been reported previously in the preview forums, but mine is on the live side. Probably already mentioned in this thread, but just adding another case to the list.

In one area, i have the "Lute Player" sound placed, but instead of hearing the lute music it originally played, it now plays the fife music. In another area, i have an NPC duet, one with a lute, the other with a flute/fife. Only the fife music can be heard, whereas previously both instruments could be heard simultaneously.
    edited February 2014
    zbkolde wrote: »
    Only discovered this in my quest today, seems to have been reported previously in the preview forums, but mine is on the live side. Probably already mentioned in this thread, but just adding another case to the list.

In one area, i have the "Lute Player" sound placed, but instead of hearing the lute music it originally played, it now plays the fife music. In another area, i have an NPC duet, one with a lute, the other with a flute/fife. Only the fife music can be heard, whereas previously both instruments could be heard simultaneously.

Yep - reported: Animation Musician, Lute is playing Fife/Flute audio instead of LUTE
    edited February 2014

Yep. We saw it to. A fix is already in the works but its part of a larger package of updates. So we won't be able to get it out as quick as we would like. Thanks for reporting this. And thanks for your patience.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't know if this qualifies as a bug, but Karrundax has 2 very different voices for "I am embody death" and "I shall incinerate all of you"
    edited February 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    I don't know if this qualifies as a bug, but Karrundax has 2 very different voices for "I am embody death" and "I shall incinerate all of you"

It does indeed qualify! Thanks for pointing this out. It has been fixed but won't go out until the next major update.
    edited March 2014
    An audio-related quality of life issue.

The sound of the Tymora coins plays for everyone, not just the player using it. I could live with this if it was just on dungeon runs. In a busy instance, it's horrible.

Ching-clink
    Ching-clink
    CHING-CLINK
    CHING-CLINK

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2014
    An audio-related quality of life issue.

The sound of the Tymora coins plays for everyone, not just the player using it. I could live with this if it was just on dungeon runs. In a busy instance, it's horrible.

Thanks for pointing this out! Could you possibly write up some steps to reproduce what you're talking about?
    edited March 2014
    Find someone who has one of these coins. Get them to use it while standing near you. Coin-less player will hear the sound assigned to the coin flip action.

I do not have the coin. I don't even know who around me is using them when I'm at the shrine in PE, only that there is a steady stream of clinking sounds around.

In a dungeon party, it's more readily identifiable as a party member performing part of their buff routine.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2014
    Find someone who has one of these coins. Get them to use it while standing near you. Coin-less player will hear the sound assigned to the coin flip action.

I do not have the coin. I don't even know who around me is using them when I'm at the shrine in PE, only that there is a steady stream of clinking sounds around.

In a dungeon party, it's more readily identifiable as a party member performing part of their buff routine.

We think the problem was this audio event was set to a 2D parameter, meaning if someone on the same map you're on used the item, you could hear the sound no matter where you were on the map. We have changed this to be a 3D audio event. So you should only hear it when you're next to those players using the item. You should also be able to identify the players using the item by an animation and visual fx. Look for this fix to go out in upcoming patches.

Thanks!
    edited March 2014

Definitely. Just stand in PE near the mailbox/AH -- you'll probably hear it going off several times a minute.
    edited March 2014
    We think the problem was this audio event was set to a 2D parameter, meaning if someone on the same map you're on used the item, you could hear the sound no matter where you were on the map. We have changed this to be a 3D audio event. So you should only hear it when you're next to those players using the item. You should also be able to identify the players using the item by an animation and visual fx. Look for this fix to go out in upcoming patches.

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Could someone from sound QA please revisit Celadaine's Tower? It just takes 10 mins. Just need to follow its linear corridors to notice several areas where the sound goes mute. Like the first triplet of Hounds.
    edited March 2014
    baylen76 wrote: »
    Could someone from sound QA please revisit Celadaine's Tower? It just takes 10 mins. Just need to follow its linear corridors to notice several areas where the sound goes mute. Like the first triplet of Hounds.

Yes this map has been problematic for us. Be assured we are looking into it and hope to have the matter resolved by the release of Module 3.

Thanks!
  • baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks in advance!

Might want to check the final room in "Cornering Karzov" quest, too. When I - in good adventuring tradition - was checking behind Karzov's makeshift throne for a chest, I not only found no chest, but no sound, either (ambient wind got canceled).
    edited April 2014
    Now silent:

• [FIXED] Music/Craftsmens Rest
    • [FIXED] Music/Fife Player
    • [FIXED] Music/Generic Mission 1
    • [FIXED] Music/Generic Mission 3
    • [FIXED] Music/Generic Mission 4
    • [FIXED] Music/Helms Hold 1
    • [FIXED] Music/Helms Hold 2
    • [FIXED] Music/Helms Hold Ambient 3
    • [FIXED] Music/Lute Player
    • [FIXED] Music/Mount Hotenow Boss
    • [FIXED] Music/Tavern Amb
    • [FIXED] Music/Tavern Amb2
    • [FIXED] Music/Tavern Amb3
    • [FIXED] Music/Twilight Reach
    • [FIXED] Music/Xinkar Ruins
    • [NEW silent] Nature/Birds, seagulls 1
    • [FIXED] Monster taunt/Zombie Hulk

Fixed in NW.15.20140415a.2
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    great! lots of new music that actually plays!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Now silent:

• [NEW silent] Nature/Birds, seagulls 1

So I took a look at this and the event *is* working. the problem is there is no audio at the beginning of the event. So there are sporadic seagull sounds that mar or not play based on random percentages and the first seagull plays a few seconds into the event. What this means is, nothing will play when first clicking on the name and you'll have to wait a little bit to actually hear the birds.

Birds, Seagulls 1 is actually just a more sparse version of Birds, Seagull 2.

However today I decided to rework the event so that it has audio at the beginning of the file and the seagulls are triggered a bit quicker. Expect this change to go out some time around the launch of M3.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It seems the Thayan wizards in Dread Ring (still) have women's voices...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It seems the Thayan wizards in Dread Ring (still) have women's voices...

Could you be more specific about the name of the critter and where I could find them? I just took a look generally around dread ring but could not reproduce the error you mentioned.