test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can anyone post a HR pathfinder pvp build?

dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
edited June 2014 in The Wilds
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if any of you would mind posting your HR Pathfinder pvp build or if you can give me some recommendations on how to build my character? I don't want to just copy and paste your build but would like to get some idea on how I should go about choosing my powers and feats.

I mainly just do my dailies and then pvp and I went pure archer and find it very lackluster for pvp so I want to give Pathfinder a try. Not sure if I want to go ranged or combat or possibly a hybrid although the hybrid sounds much better and from what I've seen in pvp seems to work better. I really messed up my first build - no constricting arrow (or whatever it's called) or silenced shot for pvp and finally just got a respect token and don't want to make the same mistakes. Any help or tips would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by dragosani84 on

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Seconded, I have a respec token ready, but haven't decided what the current OP build is.

C'mon pathfinders, share the wealth.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I'm sure there is a specific build but to be honest, there is a ton of information and discussion of pf feats and powers, how these interact with each other and specific gear sets and enchants. Piece it together. :)
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Seconded, I have a respec token ready, but haven't decided what the current OP build is.

C'mon pathfinders, share the wealth.

The OP build is the same as the OP build before, just swap out an at-will for careful attack and swap out stormstep action for probably pathfinder's action.

Bingo done.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The OP build is the same as the OP build before, just swap out an at-will for careful attack and swap out stormstep action for probably pathfinder's action.

Bingo done.
    Pretty much this. The only other change I've made is dropping Marauders so I can run FS/TW/CA where previously I'd run MR/FS/CA.

There is an alternative sniper build using Ambush with Hawk Shot which is kinda fun but sub-optimal for node contesting. Plus the Bear Traps from the melee side of Ambush suck bigtime IMO. Hawkeye is actually worthwhile now though and stacks with the buff from Ambush for huge damage on crits with Hawk Shot at max range. Too fiddly for me though.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • dragosani84dragosani84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2014
    Pretty much this. The only other change I've made is dropping Marauders so I can run FS/TW/CA where previously I'd run MR/FS/CA.

There is an alternative sniper build using Ambush with Hawk Shot which is kinda fun but sub-optimal for node contesting. Plus the Bear Traps from the melee side of Ambush suck bigtime IMO. Hawkeye is actually worthwhile now though and stacks with the buff from Ambush for huge damage on crits with Hawk Shot at max range. Too fiddly for me though.

Nice, thank you all for the information. Piecing together my build today. I just wasn't sure which abilities were any good or which one's that used to be good got nerfed or something. Going to look at a hybrid build today and give that a shot. I'm also going to leave enough zen for another respec in case I screw it up again plus I'd really like to just be able to play around with a few things. Thanks everyone.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    There really isn't 1 PVP spec that everyone uses. Probably the most OP would be combat specced (mostly for the deflect/runspeed which both augment our pvp set bonuses). I'm running full archery now (mainly for more crits/cooldown reduction).

Definitely take the 20% incoming healing from nature and try to get a good amount of regen.

Main skills you want are:

Constricting Arrow
    Disruptive Shot
    Maurader's
    Forest Ghost
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf (ALWAYS have this slotted in PVP- one of the best class traits in the game for pvp)
    Hunter's Teamwork/Careful Attack
    Splitshot
    Aimed Shot
    Thornward
    Fox's Cunning/Fox shift
    Boar's Rush

The OP of HR and Pathfinder that people have been complaining about lately is found mostly in our mobility and that our set bonus heals on deflect, so if you're going for maximum OP you want the combatant set and take Pathfinder's Action.

I run with the Archer's set just cause I like doing damage more than I like being hard to kill.

Everything else is pretty much up to you. You can try things like twighlightwatchman mentioned with ambush/hawkshot, and some people are running with binding arrow/oakskin, but basically if you have all the stuff listed above you'll have a good core set of things to work with.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Oh so dose the nature feat actually effect regen now and artifacts if it is i would say its worth slooting if not i will not change my builds from what i normaly use.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • niagh20niagh20 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about the pathfinder feat that gives you 300 regen for 4 seconds whenever you get hit?

Also what about binding arrow, it might not be as good as constricting but the melee version made up for alot of regen as well?
    edited May 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    Oh so dose the nature feat actually effect regen now and artifacts if it is i would say its worth slooting if not i will not change my builds from what i normaly use.
    Yup. they fixed it a little while ago and I've been using it ever since. Now affects ALL healing as far as I can tell.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014
    niagh20 wrote: »
    How about the pathfinder feat that gives you 300 regen for 4 seconds whenever you get hit?

Also what about binding arrow, it might not be as good as constricting but the melee version made up for alot of regen as well?
    I have a pretty high Regen anyway so an extra 300 for 4 seconds while under Healing Depression isn't going to be noticeable.

Binding Arrow is a solid skill but carrying that AND Fox Shift would mean that two of my 6 encounters were just buffs. I don't like that. Plus, as above, I have plenty of regen and normally no problem healing between fights.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014
    I run with the Archer's set just cause I like doing damage more than I like being hard to kill.
    I swapped to Archers for the same reason. Now I'm back with Combatants and doing more damage. The Power rework changed a few things so depending on your jewellery etc. it might be worth looking at again.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited May 2014
    Im fairly new to HR, played a TR for a year but tired of the nerfs and just doing no dmg while being perma stealth so im trying HR now.

Ive got decent rolls with some CON in there and ill prob be focussing on a high regen/HP build.

Combatants for gears is probaly best with BI weapons.

For jewellery i was thinking about 2 greater rings of health, what would you sugest for the Neck and Belt slot?

Also what enchants are normal for PvP HR's ? ill try to get as much defense slots for radiants as i possible can. But what for attack slots? Seeing you can easy hit arpen cap and recovery is useless. Only leaves crit and power. Wich one is used the most?

I am very curious what to use skill wise. I think thorn ward and fox shift are mentatory but im not sure what the 3rd encounter should be. ATM im thinking either binding or constricting but im really not sure yet.

Any tips on what encounter combo's are good twilightwatchman? (or anyone else :D )
    edited May 2014
    I swapped to Archers for the same reason. Now I'm back with Combatants and doing more damage. The Power rework changed a few things so depending on your jewellery etc. it might be worth looking at again.

Yeah I've tried using my grim combatant's set and did well with it. Right now I'm running with corrupted BI hood and bracers and archers. No set bonus which sucks but I have like 5k power and all other stats are good. I will be saving up for profound combatant's though just to give me something to spend glory on.

But yeah if anyone wants to be like the HR guys on the front page of the leaderboard with 1000 kills and 50 deaths, combatants is probably mandatory, and probably still will be even after BI gear is available.
  • myth8892myth8892 Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2014
    But yeah if anyone wants to be like the HR guys on the front page of the leaderboard with 1000 kills and 50 deaths, combatants is probably mandatory, and probably still will be even after BI gear is available.

I tend to disagree with this statement, most of the top pvpers on that makeshift list is premades fighting pugs.
    Put me on a premade team with everyone else with maxed out gear along with me, and i would be up there as well, or anyone else for that matter...
    That list is a joke and most everyone should understand that, I am in no way saying that those people have no skills, because alot of them are very good players, but any premade with people running the best gear are going to be in those numbers...
    Now put all those people on just regular pug teams like some of us play on, and you wont see hardly any of those players up there, anyone knows pugs are pugs, sometimes your lucky and are on a team with people that know how to play and are also geared similar to you, but you also know, more than not, your stuck on some half baked team, and no matter how good you are, you cannot carry 4 other people...
    You can roll with whatever gear you want if your on a premade team rolling over pugs.
  • nemesaonemesao Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    myth8892 wrote: »
    I tend to disagree with this statement, most of the top pvpers on that makeshift list is premades fighting pugs.
    Put me on a premade team with everyone else with maxed out gear along with me, and i would be up there as well, or anyone else for that matter...
    That list is a joke and most everyone should understand that, I am in no way saying that those people have no skills, because alot of them are very good players, but any premade with people running the best gear are going to be in those numbers...
    Now put all those people on just regular pug teams like some of us play on, and you wont see hardly any of those players up there, anyone knows pugs are pugs, sometimes your lucky and are on a team with people that know how to play and are also geared similar to you, but you also know, more than not, your stuck on some half baked team, and no matter how good you are, you cannot carry 4 other people...
    You can roll with whatever gear you want if your on a premade team rolling over pugs.

Well 95% of all my games i queue alone because i have fun doing so, but there are those games when you get against a premade of 4 or 3, your team have absolutely no idea how to pvp and 8kGS, then, there is nothing you can do. But mostly pugs x pugs is fun!
    Cheers.
  • charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Plus the Bear Traps from the melee side of Ambush suck bigtime IMO.

They take some time to get down, because they don't go off until they lay trap animation is complete. I was down on them but after some practice, I really like them. This is for a combat spec HR. Use the ambush archer stance stealth then toss a bear trap, hit them with aimed strike for dot damage, then disruptive for chain stun and it's pretty much over for them.
    edited May 2014
    myth8892 wrote: »

I wasn't commenting really on how good those people are, I'm just saying if you want to almost never die, you're probably going to need the combatant's for the extra deflect (among other things like lots of regen, running with maurader's, Pathfinder's action etc).

This is the kind of Pathfinder HR everyone is complaining about.

I personally don't play that kind of HR. I only pug, so I find myself needing to be on a point a lot (puggers often have trouble standing ON THE FREAKING CIRCLE), and part of the "impossible to kill" aspect of HRs people complain about is mobility, which is lacking when you're stuck on the circle.

But I also have to bring as much DPS as possible and find big crits are often the deciding factor if someone gets away or not. Plus I am find myself needed all over the map in every possible kind of situation (which is my favorite thing about HR- it's versatility).

So basically I go for a mix of offense and defense.
    edited May 2014
    niagh20 wrote: »
    Im fairly new to HR, played a TR for a year but tired of the nerfs and just doing no dmg while being perma stealth so im trying HR now.

Ive got decent rolls with some CON in there and ill prob be focussing on a high regen/HP build.

Combatants for gears is probaly best with BI weapons.

For jewellery i was thinking about 2 greater rings of health, what would you sugest for the Neck and Belt slot?

Also what enchants are normal for PvP HR's ? ill try to get as much defense slots for radiants as i possible can. But what for attack slots? Seeing you can easy hit arpen cap and recovery is useless. Only leaves crit and power. Wich one is used the most?

I am very curious what to use skill wise. I think thorn ward and fox shift are mentatory but im not sure what the 3rd encounter should be. ATM im thinking either binding or constricting but im really not sure yet.

Any tips on what encounter combo's are good twilightwatchman? (or anyone else :D )
    Your base build sounds a lot like mine, with a mix of offense and defense. Personally I run with two Rings of the Noble Beast - available from one of the seal vendors in PE. Lots of regen and defensive slots for Radiants. Neck and Belt aren't optimised at the moment as I've been doing lots of experimenting with builds and gear. At the moment I have the Grim Belt of Warding and Grand Exercists Necklace of Blessing - basically filling in for low stats from the primary gear. I'm using the CN weapon set for the same reason.

Powers I run with are: Lone Wolf and Pathfinders Action for class features; Hunters Teamwork/Careful attack and Aimed Shot/Strike for At-wills; Fox Shift + Thorn Ward + Constricting Arrow for encounters; Forest Ghost + Disrupting Shot for dailies. Works great for 1v1 and holding/taking points. Also builds AP at a ridiculous rate - pretty much turns your dailies into encounters.

I still die too much, mind. But that has more to do with my playstyle/skill than the build. I find myself last man on mid against the entire opposing team far too often. :)
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mmmm, I typically don't care much about regen. My experience is that you either get taken down in a couple of sec due to spike damage (and regen doesn't help) or you don't and then Lifesteal brings you back in shape much faster. But I play PVP without any tenacity, so I may be wrong in general.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited May 2014
    Mmmm, I typically don't care much about regen. My experience is that you either get taken down in a couple of sec due to spike damage (and regen doesn't help) or you don't and then Lifesteal brings you back in shape much faster. But I play PVP without any tenacity, so I may be wrong in general.

Regen is great and probably most so for HRs since we have 20% bonus from the low low cost of 5 paragon points, and we're one of only 2 classes that can get the ~400 regen rings.

Unless you're putting out 30k damage every other second and have 10% lifesteal, then it's not going to come close to regen in PVP.

Also no reason not to play without a PVP set. They may be the best PVP sets in the whole game stat/bonus wise.
    Your base build sounds a lot like mine, with a mix of offense and defense. Personally I run with two Rings of the Noble Beast - available from one of the seal vendors in PE. Lots of regen and defensive slots for Radiants. Neck and Belt aren't optimised at the moment as I've been doing lots of experimenting with builds and gear. At the moment I have the Grim Belt of Warding and Grand Exercists Necklace of Blessing - basically filling in for low stats from the primary gear. I'm using the CN weapon set for the same reason.

Powers I run with are: Lone Wolf and Pathfinders Action for class features; Hunters Teamwork/Careful attack and Aimed Shot/Strike for At-wills; Fox Shift + Thorn Ward + Constricting Arrow for encounters; Forest Ghost + Disrupting Shot for dailies. Works great for 1v1 and holding/taking points. Also builds AP at a ridiculous rate - pretty much turns your dailies into encounters.

I still die too much, mind. But that has more to do with my playstyle/skill than the build. I find myself last man on mid against the entire opposing team far too often.

I've actually finally let go of my beloved split shot in favor of aimed shot/strike. Seems to be working out pretty well.

I've also got my p.vorpal up and am going to trade it in for g.plaguefire and some enchant upgrades. Seems like the synergy is just too good with plaguefire and careful attack to ignore.
    edited May 2014
    I've actually finally let go of my beloved split shot in favor of aimed shot/strike. Seems to be working out pretty well.

I've also got my p.vorpal up and am going to trade it in for g.plaguefire and some enchant upgrades. Seems like the synergy is just too good with plaguefire and careful attack to ignore.
    Given how you handed me my backside earlier today I'd say your current build is just peachy. :)
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Regen is great and probably most so for HRs since we have 20% bonus from the low low cost of 5 paragon points, and we're one of only 2 classes that can get the ~400 regen rings.

Unless you're putting out 30k damage every other second and have 10% lifesteal, then it's not going to come close to regen in PVP.

Also no reason not to play without a PVP set. They may be the best PVP sets in the whole game stat/bonus wise.

I more or less have 10% lifesteal (9.9% actually) but so far I didn't invest too much time in PvP (and in PvE Lifesteal is much better that Regen as there I can easily pull 30k damage every other second). Domination PvP is horribly boring to me, but the new open-PvP of Icewind Dale is much more to my taste so I'm starting to dabble there. I'm working on a black ice set for PvP. Would you recommend the Corrupted or Purified version?
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited May 2014
    Given how you handed me my backside earlier today I'd say your current build is just peachy. :)

Heh what's your name in-game, I'll have to keep an eye out.

It's too late I'm changing it all around. Rogues are annoying me too much not to hit them with plaguefire/careful attack.

Really I think I'll always be changing things- I run through a few bad pugs and end up thinking if I was specced different it would've gone better.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just read what the skill does and do your own math. Its quite simple. You want to not die..this is pvp: not to die. And this stays the same for all classes.
    edited May 2014
    thanks for the feedback hamlet and twilight, what do you guys use for feats? i think deep combat is the way to go atm but i wonder what exact feats you guys are using. The only thing i take for granted is the 20% inc healing feat the rest all have their ups and downs.

also for you twilight im running the same encounters only im using boar hide instead of fox shift.

i see alot of HR using fox shift but what does it really do? the archer buff side is useless imo and the dashing side is alright, it grants CC/dmg immune for a little while and does some dmg.

if you put that against boar hide, in archer a decent buff that lasts 5 hits instead of 1 and the active is imo better. a gap closer with a prone.

Can you explain to me why using fox shift is better then a easy to land prone?
    edited May 2014
    Basically fox shift is used for pure damage, and fox's cunning can be amazing and clutch. It's one of the few abilities that is good on both sides. Even though it's nerfed it's still the best burst ability we have.

When I run Boar's, I run fox shift to follow it up. This works nice because they can't dodge fox shift so both hits land.

A real CW-killer combo is constricting, boar's and fox shift. You have to close the gap but adding a prone to the stuns from constricting means the CW is not going to be able to do much of anything, and boar's is a mini-gap closer. Especially nice now that it doesn't go on cooldown unless you actually connect with it since mod3.

Boar's on it's own isn't much damage. Prone is awesome in PVP, but it doesn't do much on it's own unless you follow it up with something (and with the delay after you use it, you only can follow it up with one ability really). It's cool to prone someone in a thorn ward, but then again if they're already in it they were gonna take hits anyway from it. It is great in team fights though as even though you can't follow it up because for some reason they made you stand over the proned guy looking dumb for 2 seconds after you use it- your team can. I've initiated a swarming kill on someone countless times with boar's.

For feats I just switched to combat to join the crowd of being harder to kill, and it does make a noticable difference. I use:

-Shifting for action points- this works with fox shift as well as your dodge (another perk of fox). With this and careful attack procs, I almost never am at a loss for action points.

-Cooldown reduction- nice for thorn ward and constricting arrow

-deflect in combat stance- 10% deflect is huge especially with the set bonus

-run speed- 10% more run speed is great and on top of the set bonus and with occasional pathfinder's action, I'm speedy as hell. For the few seconds pathinder's action is active, I run at over +50% movement speed.

-10% crit on melee- this works on the best burst fox shift and also careful attack and aimed strike. The only offensive trait in my whole lineup besides the capstone! Pretty crazy for me since I'm used to archery spec but it seems to be working great. One could go for 15% more damage if you're allergic to crits. Probably evens out damage-wise.

-combat mastery- not great but procs off of careful attack, so it's definitely extra damage. Plus what else are you going to get for 1 point.
  • gameisfreetowingameisfreetowin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First off, this is all great info! However, can't someone seriously post a build link for mod3? I want to run pathfinder but I'm not sure what exactly is gonna be best picks for powers and feats and I know CON/DEX/STR is nice for attributes. I'm just saying I'd like to see someone's build who is having good results in pvp domination with that build. Thanks in advance!
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    There was plenty of info above and in this thread to figure out a build. Also, builds aren't set in stone, and are subject to some amounts of customization at times. Also, it limits creativity if you are always just copying other builds and will always leave you 1 step behind the people you are imitating. At some point you figure stuff out yourself. Unless this is your first PvP character and you are completely clueless, you should have enough knowledge of the mechanics to draw your own conclusions and discover for yourself what works best. I find it much more satisfying to discover what works on my own, but the real benefit of it is I am less tied down to things needing to be a specific way because its the build so and so said was best and they are good so it must be the best and I better not stray from it. But yeah, all the info you need is here if that's the route you want to take with this process. There is no need for someone to write up a complete formal guide with pictures and links on how to do it for you if you are already given all of the important information. That would be too much work unless someone was willing to do it to for their own enjoyment to help the entire community, but the new path has only minor changes to the grand scheme of what makes HR builds good depending on how you chose to build them, which is probably why you haven't seen a guide on it. Anyway, I just want to encourage people to be more creative. It will greatly help you or anyone in the future of the game as more changes come along (in a very fast paced changing game) if you know how to be independent and find what works best yourself instead of always rely on waiting for others to inform everyone else of the changes they found to be best. Plus it opens up the opportunity for you yourself to discover new tricks or setups which could be better than the conventional "best".
  • gameisfreetowingameisfreetowin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I understand your point. I still like builds, it gives a full picture of what someone is doing with what feats, powers, and gear synergize together. So real quick then b/c I don't see it mentioned I want to spec full combat tree but I also want 5/5 nature's blessing b/c I plan on high HP and decent crit for using Cruel Recovery. I can't decide to leave out Lethal Hunter or Expert Skirmisher or mix 3/5 and 2/5. Any thoughts?
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Okay, so I quit waiting and respec'd last night.

Put all my points into con and dex. It's a pity we can't re-roll initial values but eh. About 27k HP base.

Boons went to healing, defence and deflection with fey thistle/bastion. I have a blacksmitth and an evoker for anti TR goodness.

Powers - the usual, plus from pathfinder the deflect and runspeed class feature, ambush and careful attack at will. Sob, bye bye stormstep.

Feats - the more defensive heroics, none of the capstones, incoming healing from nature, the rest into combat and archery, critical severity, cooldowns, extra deflect in melee.

Running last night in domination with boars, MR, hindering strike, rapid shot, careful attack. Lone wolf and pathfinders action (run/deflect), disruptive and forest ghost. Lantern on main.

Still using profound archers x2 and grim nature x2, CN weapons, noble beast x2 plus all power/defence/deflect as before, haven't had time to twiddle yet, rank sixes and sevens because I gave all the good stuff to my CW recently. May change to grim combatant, or wait for black ice, depending on how it goes. Soulforge and lesser vorpal, but might borrow my cws plaguefire in the future.

So, did it work..? Played a couple of games on pug. Scored one double kill, contested the hell out of the enemy's back cap. Stayed alive easily 1 vs 2. Killed 1 vs 1. Stayed alive long enough to make a difference 1 vs 3 and 4.

Verdict. Better than my old nerfed set up, but I've become a tank. Just my opinion but I carried the teams I was with, never staying on a node when someone else was capping, always at the enemy's back cap and dragging them off 2, trying to stop them scoring points off nodes. We won 3 out of three. Just pug on pug though, no premades. Made bugger all glory. Lol.

No particular class could kill me easily, I killed TRs and CWs pretty well, and facetanked gwfs and gfs, gwfs usually killed me after a while, gfs a stalematetill either their team or ours piled in. Other Hrs, a toss up on who shot who first.

Pleased..? Yes, but it will take some getting used to, particularly the melee side of careful attack. Also felt I didn't need forest ghost, but had nothing to replace it that I thought was useful, it's a pity that ambush wasn't made a daily, its a bit of a waste as an encounter, perhaps I need to get used to it.
    No idea what my toon is now.