test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lag and Rubberbanding in IWD, Delves, GG and PE

Comments

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Time and space! I teleported back into several AOEs. And teleported backwards through time to a point before I took a healing pot! It was amazing. Or maybe just lag. Lots and lots of lag.........
  • vautrinplvautrinpl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes, lags are terrible there, but sometimes in my case relaunching game helps.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dunno about you, I play in Turkey, gmt +2. When I play mornings, everything is normal, early evening, still normal, but later on...

Lag, stupid, crazy, unplayable amounts.

Yesterday I took my HR to IWD, I got as far as the campfire near the gate before freezing. Literally, if I hit boarshide, it would be 30seconds before the buff icon appeared under my name in the corner. Movement was so bad I couldn't even get back to the gate to exit the area, a distance of a whopping... 5 steps.

God knows where the poor guy is now, I had to quit out of the game, he's probably trapped in some wolf-food limbo hell.

Please fix this, I love the new mod, but the lag factor is a game breaker atm.
    No idea what my toon is now.
    edited May 2014
    Deleted due to context removal on move.
  • niteingaleniteingale Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Same here. It seems to be totally random though. Yesterday I spent 3 hrs doing dailies with one toon as I could take 5 min breaks between steps, not to mention doing any of the encounters or interacting with quest marks. I just gave up on the other 3 toons to progress this particular campaign. Apparently changing instances helps but to do that you have to go back to town as the standard button is inactive and it may take literally hours to get there. All the rest of the content works fine (maybe with an exception of 1st boss in SP for some reason).

I understand that the new content is optional, then again with this lag we should get some pack of IWD resources as apologies for lost days not doing dailies as it's simply impossible to complete on multiple toons with only a few hours in the evening. And hey, the purpose of the new module should not be to force you to quit all other content just to have enough time to do those ridiculous same dailies and HEs every day.
    edited May 2014
    Same pattern, just played for half an hour, 10am gmt+2, both IWpass and dwarf valley, zero lag.

Let's see what happens this evening (fingers crossed).
  • kurisantonkurisanton Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2014
    Recently there has been massive lag spikes in icewind dale zones. Tonight I went afk in icewind pass at the gate to Caer konig and when I came back from the bathroom I found some winter wolves beating on me in the southwest part of the map when I didnt even go over there. Later I manged to fight and kill a few giants but I couldnt leave the area due to rubberbanding. At first I thought this might be a problem on my end but after full modem/router restarts, checking router configuration, and it working perfectly on warframe I dont think the problem is on my end. My guildmates and friends have gotten similar experiences further giving the problem credit

Now to be fair all MMO's get lag from time to time, its just how things are but this is not yoru normal kind of server lag. This has to be addressed as it sometimes makes the game unplayable, preventing a player from doing anything for up to several minutes at a time. This kind of thing just can not go on.

Im a reasonable person though. I dont expect this problem to be fixed by 5pm tommorrow afternoon but I do expect that you look into server stability, memory leaks, and whatever other issues are known to cause massive lag spikes, rubberbanding and teleporting as soon as possible. I like your game, I really do, but if I cant play the game Im not going to put more money into it and eventually if it doesnt get sorted out Im going to move on to another game. I dont want to move to another game when Im happy with this one, so please look into this issue

Kuri
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You need to go to the bug subforum and report the problem there , I think it's against the forum ToS to address a topic directly at the developers.As for lag the developers are aware of it and I read a moderator say they are looking into it , there will probably be a patch today at some point so maybe there will be a fix.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tourage16 wrote: »
    Any other map I get good ping like 200(yeah, that's good for me, but it still feels like alot more).

But when I get in the map above the new town it start lagging like hell... like 700+ ping with a number higher than 100 million on unpacked.

Does anybody know if there is any way to fix it?

No the netcode in the game is buggy. As usual PW just pushed it out without bothering to fix it to make more money. Call me a cynic if you wish, but hey if the shoe fits... I mean we all know this isn't the first time bugs have gone live despite numerous reports on test realm about them.

And here is a screenshot of my games netgraph after only 1minute in zone - note that i couldnt do ANYTHING at all in game not even chat. (Click for a bigger version). Oh and btw my normal ping is around 200 as well, being Australian.

ilxr9.jpg

And fyi guys - https://twitter.com/NeverwinterGame/status/468820707833434112
    Neverwinter ‏@NeverwinterGame

@DarkfallenInc We are currently looking into the Icewind Dale lag issues. Thank you for your patience!

Yeah... I think by this point having been a week since it went live with multiple maintenance's that many people are patient anymore. In fact everyone I talk to in game who has the issues is getting so frustrated with it they are talking about quitting the game or at least stopping for a few weeks - which is never a good sign as its a short step from there to just quitting totally.
    And their lack of an official acknowledgement of the issues on this forums is really not encouraging either.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well let's hope the lack of presence on these boards means everyone available is trying to fix Mod3.
  • g4rfunkleg4rfunkle Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thanks for the tip on the debris. will try it out.
  • xnordicxxnordicx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    seams to me its due to limitations in the game engine. that cant handle alot of ppl in the same instance that cause the lagg in IWD because some instances dont have this lagg anyhow hope for a fix soon since this makes the new content unplayable mostly.
  • grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    My goodness, out of the sudden I couldn't move and had like a 30+ second delay on everything. I first though it was my connection but could switch to a toon in PE and move around normally. Took five minutes to buy a Teleport Scroll and zone out.

This only occurs in the Icewind Pass area, Caer Konig is fine.

According to the zone chat, others experiencing the same problem.

+1 plz fix your server, play=====> not possible
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For the Record...

My Tracerts and Pings were excellent all the while we were in IWD on Preview. I did notice the Rubberbanding even back then and reported it.

I do not believe this is something related to ping. From an outside perspective this appears to be based on the server and how it updates the positioning of players. Its almost like the server thinks you're in one spot, when you're actually in another. Its more like a calculation issue, not a ping rate issue. That appears to be fine. I suspect Cryptic also knows its not a Bandwidth issue on their side as well.

Its almost like they have something running in the background that is sucking up too many resources for their Server to correctly process the minor data that relates to pathing or locationing.

If you look back on I believe the Patch notes... I even reported it specifically after one specific patch... my comment can be backdated to that time period as to when this began to happen on Preview.
  • quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    xnordicx wrote: »
    seams to me its due to limitations in the game engine. that cant handle alot of ppl in the same instance that cause the lagg in IWD because some instances dont have this lagg anyhow hope for a fix soon since this makes the new content unplayable mostly.
    This is likely it, hopefully they dont skimp out on new hardware, not sure what they were thinking though. They knew they needed an open world feel, bigger servers, commented on how they havent designed for large maps in the past, and also removed the ability to change instances (I understand why). So they should have upgraded the hardware before mod3 launched.
  • flupperyfluppery Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    seams to me its due to limitations in the game engine. that cant handle alot of ppl in the same instance

I doubt it. Some instances are full of people and do not lag at all.

When I'm in a "lagged" instance, my RECV goes up to the millions. It's almost like the server is DOSing me. Rubberbanding is super bad and eventually I get disconnected. There is no reason to have so much RECV because when i go to a different instance RECV stays well below a Couple Thousand Only.
  • vristvrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    Its a PVP instance. the system makes it priority for all on the apposing side to know where they are at all time. so basically we are DLing every movement people make each time. In other instances that are PvE its not detrimental to know the precise movement of other players, so if the player ghosted passed you it would be irrelevant, in PvP however, people can take advantage and ghost killing hacks are in the game.. This is why no matter how potatoes you make your graphics it dont change the issue.

Problem with IWD is our systems are being forced to monitor movement instance wide. They need to adjust the perimeter of which were forced to monitor other player movement.

Altho i must admit, since Mod3 came, more lag across the board has increased, I use to could run any dungeon, or be in enclave on full graphics settings in a full instance, while using phone as a tether.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Logging in at caer konig and it took 10 minutes before my mouse cursor actually appeared onscreen and majority of the items in my inventory had no icon.

Doing a /netgraph 1 in the pass and the ping was fluctuating every couple of seconds between 300 and 600ms. Dorf valley showed 150-200 fluctuating at about the same rate. These numbers were out of combat and stood stationary in a quiet corner.

Getting into combat would add around 200 for dwarf and 500 for icewind minimum to the lower level meaning that the majority of big hit dodge this or get pummeled attacks coming my way couldnt be avoided due to either having the damage land before the red telegraph appeared or having me rubberband back into the impact zone.

Normal numbers before the module lumbered onto the scene averaged around 150 in most combat zones which is on the upper edge of what I'd consider to be an acceptable ping.

This was done with nothing else at all connected to my internet and nothing being downloaded in the background.
  • yawulfyawulf Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i must say i love this game a lot, right after work i just winter the nights off.i usually lagged in FH but other dungeons no problem at all until IWD the lag in that zone could itself be considered a Heroic Event.its just horrible can't do dailies,i puts more meaning to the term grinding,one moment u r doing fine the next u r rubberbanding and bam u r dead and u go like WTF.Pls just get 4 or 5 more servers, create more instances and this game wod be good u can research server tech used by TESO to keep over 2000 players in their massive pvp and still run smoothly,pls just i know this weeks patch notes is not going to address this issue just get it next week and at the end of the day we would all be happy
  • unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    Hey Folks, I found that I was getting alot of lag due to low FPS. Below is a list of tweeks I made to my Dual GTX 770 Rig to correct alot of issues I had in Icewind Dale, and Dwarven Valley.

Take the URL and Place it inside your browser to enlarge the image.

qNbUzi2.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/qNbUzi2.jpg
    g1bgNHr.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/g1bgNHr.jpg
    37AFwLG.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/37AFwLG.jpg

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, this was done using current Nvidia Beta Drivers.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    FYI: I believe 'Fullscreen' gives better performance than 'Windowed Maximized' (on the first screen's settings)
  • sirkeosirkeo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No!
    Neverwinter is a Party-based MMO
    we doesn't have much players right now! Creating a new server would scater them even more. If it was a Sologame, like Runescape for example, where you doesn't have raids, dungeons (before the skill called: Dungeonering) and all that stuff it was good.
    Nothing worse than wanting to do a dungeon and having to wait hours because of the low popularity of the server.

The more, the good. As long as Cryp can hold the server... keep using the same
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think people misunderstand the architecture setup over at Cryptic. Just because you see one name doesn't mean there is one server. Rather, it is a shard. There are actually multiple servers in use on a single shard.

The setup is the same in all Cryptic-branded games. There is a shard for live gameplay and a shard for testing/preview purposes.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    Just a note i use window maximized because i have a 3 monitor setup, if i use fullscreen the window actually spans onto my other screens.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Server, shard, whatever. What OP actually wants (just as many if not most other players) is less lag.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The lag is absolutely disgusting.

I challenge any of the developers to try playing this game, specifically try doing the beholder or Remo with this lag. It's really only the Dwarven Valley and Icewind Pass, so it's clearly an issue on their end.
  • czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    From my experience, the lag today is spreading like some sort of a virus. First, there was a little lag in Icewind Pass, later Caer-Konig started lagging, too. Now I experience it even in Protector's Enclave.
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The lag is outrageous in the whole Icewind Dale, so once dailies are done, try your best to avoid that zone.

(lag gets exceptionally bad in remorhaz/beholder, could it be an accomplice?!)
    edited May 2014
    This just getting stupid. Started lagging in dwarf valley about 8.30pm gmt+2. My CW is stuck there for the night. I switched to my HR in IWD skipped out to protectors enclave and started pvp domination dailies.

The lag followed me. Halfway throuh the first match I was lagging so bad I didn't know where I was or what I was doing. Still killed what must have been a very bad gwf by randomly hitting every encounter button.

Gave up and quit out of the game after that.

Plz fix this. It's beyond laughing now.
  • pieloniouspielonious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    I'm going to chime in with a "please look into the severe latency/lag issues."

It's gotten worse, the more time goes by. I can't even travel more than 50 feet in-game without getting a Server Not Responding error. Now it just simply kicks me and I can't log back in because of how slow it's going, and it's NOT my internet. I tried to play a character who isn't at IWD, and the lag wasn't quite as bad as it is inside IWD, but it's still pretty hideous and I was forced to just close the game.

If the devs can get this addressed ASAP, I think many players would greatly appreciate it (within the bounds that players can because we're all whine machines).
This discussion has been closed.