test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scrimshaw? PvP only? Seriously?

Comments

• kiruh71kiruh71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    See, I'd like to say "yeah make them PvE accessible" strictly because having PvE players in PvP leads to terrible teams and boring, one-sided matches. BUT I like the fact that if you can't hack it in a certain aspect of the game, you aren't inherently deserving of the content within that aspect of the game.

And by the way, I'm one of those PvPers that despises PvE, but guess what, I get to grind Sharandar and/or Dread Ring so that I can enjoy the Icewind Dale PvP content. Am I crying about it? No, I sucked it up, put my nose to the grind stone, and I'm getting it done.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't care for PvP (I suck at it terribly and when I do -rarely- make a kill it is stolen), but I think unique gear for different aspects of the game is fair :) Maybe if it is not BoP you can find it on AH though you'd have to ignore the Tenacity boon. If it is BoP then try to find a decent group. I did try it a few times and might even try it again in IWD just to explore.

~EDIT~ Just like a cop in uniform can help against a crime. A PvPer with gear stating they are PvPers might just help you with it. I doubt they are all a-holes. Not like they can stand over your corpse until you return only to kill you again... like in WoW
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Learn to love PVP, people. In fact, your PVE skills will increase if you PVP a lot. Why? There's nothing more challenging than fighting a fellow player. They're not a program: they think, react and attack. Talk to some PVP guilds or your friends who PVP a lot, learn builds and learn which powers are most effective.

It's all fun and you'll learn to love it.

This is actually true, this coming from someone who isn't big into pvp.

However the injury on death mechanic does NOT belong in an open map pvp environment.

In Lotro for example they have a buff that disables equipment wear on death. This allows people to enjoy PvP without being discouraged by multiple deaths.

It is even worse in neverwinter. Quickly your injury kits will disappear. The casuals, and non-hardcore pvpers will stop coming to open world pvp area because they will not want to spen all their resources on injury kits. This means less density, which is bad.

You want a fun open environment where people can jump in and rumble, without slapping a huge death penalty on them. For a true pvper, their PvP stats (deaths, kills, ratio, etc) are enough of an encouragement to avoid defeat.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Suck it up buttercup. If you want PvP rewards you should PvP, just like when I want PvE rewards(or indeed, campaign progression) I have to PvE.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kiruh71 wrote: »
    See, I'd like to say "yeah make them PvE accessible" strictly because having PvE players in PvP leads to terrible teams and boring, one-sided matches. BUT I like the fact that if you can't hack it in a certain aspect of the game, you aren't inherently deserving of the content within that aspect of the game.

And by the way, I'm one of those PvPers that despises PvE, but guess what, I get to grind Sharandar and/or Dread Ring so that I can enjoy the Icewind Dale PvP content. Am I crying about it? No, I sucked it up, put my nose to the grind stone, and I'm getting it done.

You'd do it anyway for the stats the boons give you ;) Pvpers have to grab every advantage they can get.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    There is some ptsd level epic butthurt going on here.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • harrivengerharrivenger Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Learn to love PVP, people. In fact, your PVE skills will increase if you PVP a lot. Why? There's nothing more challenging than fighting a fellow player. They're not a program: they think, react and attack. Talk to some PVP guilds or your friends who PVP a lot, learn builds and learn which powers are most effective.

Totally agreed. I find doing PvE much easier after I PvP alots. The only challenge I faced in the older PvE contents are Boss with "unlimited" respawn adds. :rolleyes:
    Harrivenger (Master Infiltrator)
    Ebony (Whisperknife)

• tearsoffeartearsoffear Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You say you actively dislike PVP, well a lot of PVPers actively dislike PVE. So where does that put us? Should Fomorian and Dread gear drop off the highest scorer in PVP matches? With your logic, PVPers should then have equal access to ALL PVE gear without having to do PVE.
    If you do not like PvE ... what are you doing in this game anyway?
  • tearsoffeartearsoffear Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    prettycelt wrote: »
    Nope. Over the course of seven years of various MMO's and I still rabidly hate PvP as much as ever. It has nothing to do with the system, either...I am good at figuring out what works. It is because the vast majority of hardcore PvPer's are A-HOLES. Plain and simple. It brings out the worst in people and even in small doses it makes my blood pressure rise. So no thank you, I'll happily abstain and be satisfied with the gear available to me out here in PvE land.
    you are not alone with that opinion.

Just look at the flames of hate when someone dares to go AFK in a PvP domination match ...
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    Suck it up buttercup. If you want PvP rewards you should PvP, just like when I want PvE rewards(or indeed, campaign progression) I have to PvE.

Simple yet eloquent, proverbial "hit the nail on its head".

You want something done, do it. Don't beg for it.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If you do not like PvE ... what are you doing in this game anyway?

I was not talking about myself specifically on that post, but I will talk about what some of the PVPers in this game feel.

They used to be PVE players, high end ones. However, the past 2 dungeons, the past 2 modules introduced crappy crappy PVE rewards. The dailies are too grindy and a burden. Valindra's Tower and Castle Malabog give people little incentive to go back to them due to the BOP stuff. Why would a lot of people even bother going back?

Castle Never is the last bastion unfortunately, it was the last bastion for the past 12 months. Give players a new dungeon that is actually worth running after the first 2 weeks, and you'll see a lot of these PVP players go back to PVE.
  • monk1955monk1955 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some people really awful at PVP that they can't get a few kills?

Most people in the game want nothing to do with pvp!
    edited May 2014
    ejames127 wrote: »
    @prettycelt

While I understand your Point of View, I loathe pvp as well, why shouldn't there be some sort of vanity reward for doing pvp?

It takes time and effort and the people that like it should be able to distinguish themselves just as the people who like and do the high level top tier dungeons can distinguish themselves with there gear and the people that do all those mindlessly repetitive daily grind quests can distinguish themselves.

And it should be kept completely separate from PvE, just like it has been up to this point!
    edited May 2014
    monk1955 wrote: »
    Most people in the game want nothing to do with pvp!

The pirate costume is merely cosmetic. It is neither integral to any content nor does it affect game balance one bit
    edited May 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Sigh. When will this mentality die?

Item X exists.

I want item X.

I have to do task Y to get item X.

Therefore the developers are FORCING ME to do task Y.

Uh...No. No they are not. Your desire for item X is what is what is driving you to do Y. You're going to have to decide if you WANT item X so much that you're willing to do Y to get it. That's no one's dilemma but your own--and no one is forcing you to choose either way.

Wrong! The only thing PvE players want is to be completely separated from PvP. Get a clue. We don't like it, we don't want to participate in it, and we don't want to hear the obnoxious trash talk constantly from people who are pay to win sociopaths!
    edited May 2014

When will you ganksters understand that most PvE players want nothing to do with PvP. It is disgusting, sociopathic behavior!
    edited May 2014
    Wrong! The only thing PvE players want is to be completely separated from PvP. Get a clue. We don't like it, we don't want to participate in it, and we don't want to hear the obnoxious trash talk constantly from people who are pay to win sociopaths!

Okay. I get that most of them act obnoxious and trash talking comes with the territory for a lot of them. I don't think most of them are P2W players though. Their halfling alt toons might be. But a lot of these PVP players have conquered PVE. They switched to PVP because endgame PVE is neither challenging nor rewarding (cough Valindra's Tower and Malabog Castle cough)
    edited May 2014
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    edited May 2014
    Okay. I get that most of them act obnoxious and trash talking comes with the territory for a lot of them. I don't think most of them are P2W players though. Their halfling alt toons might be. But a lot of these PVP players have conquered PVE. They switched to PVP because endgame PVE is neither challenging nor rewarding (cough Valindra's Tower and Malabog Castle cough)

Really??? How do you think they got a handful of purple pets with their active bonus!
    edited May 2014
    Really??? How do you think they got a handful of purple pets with their active bonus!

By farming castle never for weeks last year? Like I said, a lot of these PVP players were the best PVE players who quit due to crappy rewards/challenges

Also, realize that PVP domination doesn't allow pets so your claim is not necessarily applicable to all
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow, all PVPers are sociopaths now? That's a huge generalization.
    Although saying that PVE players don't want to get mixed with PVPers is also another generalization. there's tons of people (probably the majority of players that do a bit of both.
    Second, if PVE has its own rewards, why can't pvp have its own rewards too?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

You speak for every single PvE player in the game right? If you don't want to be ganked, don't enter the PvP zone. There are plenty of BI nodes outside that area.

BUT. If you want the PvP specific rewards, then tough luck, it's only right and fair that PvP has it's own unique rewards just like PvE(see, dungeons, every CTA ever, etc).
  • mehpvpmehmehpvpmeh Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    If you want to obtain everything, this game forces you into PVP ever since Mod2. Learn to manipulate and bend the system your way.

Or you could learn to not be terrible at PvP.... I would recommend that.
    edited May 2014
    When will you ganksters understand that most PvE players want nothing to do with PvP. It is disgusting, sociopathic behavior!

There are plenty of games out there with very easy PvE that anyone with a pulse can do (I'm assuming you have a pulse... But not much else) that do not have PvP. This includes MMOs and single player adventures!

Bye! Best of luck!

P.S. We have to do your ****ty PvE to get our boons and whatnot, don't hear us complaining do you?
  • risendragonrisendragon Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2014
    I was never a big fan of pvp, but once I started playing arena games I found myself hooked. I very rarely rage and I don't play with anyone who's gonna rage constantly about things. It's fun. It's quick-paced strategy between 4 of my friends and even when we lose we're typically in a good mood about everything. I don't understand why we have to sit here and call pvp a disgusting, sociopathic behavior, or being generalizing that all it devolves to is a bunch of a-holes being a-holes. Some people are playing pvp because they are a-holes, but that doesn't make every single person who plays pvp games an a-hole. If you're so disgusted by pvp, are you also disgusted by chess? risk? These are both strategy games that you play against other players, you are actively fighting against that player. Domination is merely a strategy game where 10 players battle each other with avatars.

I've been playing strategy games since I was 5 yrs old. I don't feel domination or arena-type pvp to be any different than a strategy game. In the end so long as everyone is running a build that is appropriate for pvp, it's less about who's better than who and more about who can outmaneuver who? If you're able to rotate your striker and healer constantly, you win. If you cannot, you lose. If only 1 can rotate then it is a stalemate with the person rotating healer having advantage. (burst capability < healing capability) Once you understand this and begin thinking things through it becomes much more fun. What they've needed to do to make pvp more enjoyable for everyone is to separate out a 'premade queue' with a 'normal queue' and disallow anyone with 4+ players in their party to queue for the normal queue. That way when you don't want to run into a premade group just looking to do their dailies quickly, you can run the normal queue and run your dailies with more balance.

tl;dr: Can we quit with the name-calling and bickering and come to an understanding? It's childish.
    edited May 2014
    tl;dr: Can we quit with the name-calling and bickering and come to an understanding? It's childish.

No. Dude, come 1v1 IRL. I'll knock you out brah. :P
  • risendragonrisendragon Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2014
    tang56 wrote: »
    No. Dude, come 1v1 IRL. I'll knock you out brah. :P

This is when I realize I should probably have gone to sleep like I said I would. Too busy talking to my girlfriend and posting on this forum.
    edited May 2014
    This is when I realize I should probably have gone to sleep like I said I would. Too busy talking to my girlfriend and posting on this forum.

Yep. Go to sleep dude. Pleasant dreams.
  • pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lol @ this entire thread.

So much oversensitivity... so much that we PVPers are sociopaths now lmao, and now apparently PVP affects IRL mental health, jesus christ...

This community never ceases to amaze me because of the amount of oversensitive people.
    edited May 2014
    pandora1x wrote: »
    Lol @ this entire thread.

So much oversensitivity... so much that we PVPers are sociopaths now lmao, and now apparently PVP affects IRL mental health, jesus christ...

This community never ceases to amaze me because of the amount of oversensitive people.

RPers man, sensitive emo lot they are :)