test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scrimshaw? PvP only? Seriously?

prettyceltprettycelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 777 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
Am I mistaken or can you ONLY acquire the Scrimshaw tokens via PvP kills? If so, this was a tragically horrible idea. Some of those weapon skins are very nice, and I'd love to have them, but I actively and passionately despise PvP in all its forms. Surely there has to be some other way to accumulate Scrimshaw?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Some people really awful at PVP that they can't get a few kills?
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you want to obtain everything, this game forces you into PVP ever since Mod2. Learn to manipulate and bend the system your way.
  • ejames127ejames127 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @prettycelt

While I understand your Point of View, I loathe pvp as well, why shouldn't there be some sort of vanity reward for doing pvp?

It takes time and effort and the people that like it should be able to distinguish themselves just as the people who like and do the high level top tier dungeons can distinguish themselves with there gear and the people that do all those mindlessly repetitive daily grind quests can distinguish themselves.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As a PvE player, I see nothing wrong with them rewarding PvP with unique items.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some content you can only get from pve, some only from pvp. The thing is for all the good stuff you don't really need to pvp at all. I despise it too but there's no reason why pvp can't have exclusive stuff. I already think the open pvp is stupid anyway. It's unbalanced, ridiculous, not really profitable, and you get an injury on death...
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    True. too bad they can't be bothered to do the same with PvE. Guess those people aren't special enough?

*looks at PvE rewards*

Seriously? You are trying to say there are no rewards for PvE?
    edited May 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    *looks at PvE rewards*

90% of the game is pve lol. I didn't really get that statement either.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Some content you can only get from pve, some only from pvp. The thing is for all the good stuff you don't really need to pvp at all. I despise it too but there's no reason why pvp can't have exclusive stuff. I already think the open pvp is stupid anyway. It's unbalanced, ridiculous, not really profitable, and you get an injury on death...

it might be interesting if the injury on death was disabled in the open pvp area. I am certainly not going there with it .
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Seriously how is the scrimshaw any different from glory for pvp gear, or GG coins for pvp gear??? Please explain this concept.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    it might be interesting if the injury on death was disabled in the open pvp area. I am certainly not going there with it .

It's not? Dang... that's one heck of a reason *not* to do the open world PvP, then.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There are two reason for the injury penalty...to discourage non pvper to think twice about entering the big read zone...and the second applies equally to the first group and the pvp'ers risk vs rewards. Black Ice nodes give more black ice in the pvp area.
    edited May 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It's not? Dang... that's one heck of a reason *not* to do the open world PvP, then.

It was suggested in preview to remove it by us but they didn't take notice. People will need to actively complain and they'll probably change that though. Was a really silly decision imo.
    cayapp wrote: »
    There are two reason for the injury penalty...to discourage non pvper to think twice about entering the big read zone...and the second applies equally to the first group and the pvp'ers risk vs rewards. Black Ice nodes give more black ice in the pvp area.
    10 more ice per pick, \o/

I'd rather save my gold and farm somewhere where I'm not likely to be hunted down.
  • broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I've already heard talk of groups working together to trade kits for scrimshaws.

Out of the 4 (to 3) I had only 1 dropped a scrimshaw
  • deavandedeavande Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I tried the pvp area but when I found out you have to use an injury kit when you die, I wont be back. The benefits do not equal the risks IMO. As far as black ice goes I have over 3000, which will last quite awhile, unless you have more the one glove.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    *looks at PvE rewards*

But the reward for the pvp campaign is a godam Pirate outfit , that's better than all the pve rewards x 10 xD I need pirate outfit nao!
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • forumnamesarelamforumnamesarelam Member Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    But the reward for the pvp campaign is a godam Pirate outfit , that's better than all the pve rewards x 10 xD I need pirate outfit nao!

I know what you mean, my Halfling GWF is going to be the scourge of the seven seas (or at least a very big pond).
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sigh. When will this mentality die?

Item X exists.

I want item X.

I have to do task Y to get item X.

Therefore the developers are FORCING ME to do task Y.

Uh...No. No they are not. Your desire for item X is what is what is driving you to do Y. You're going to have to decide if you WANT item X so much that you're willing to do Y to get it. That's no one's dilemma but your own--and no one is forcing you to choose either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cant kill in pvp with pvp characters?? Killing is not everything, you may not need these token unless for cosmetic purpose. Try trade kills, it may work for farming some tokens.

@harmless PvP cleric(s) since May 2013
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think something they could do to improve the game experience and get people like me to even care anymore about the new PvP area would be to provide free respec token. New HR paragon path sounds awesome, game leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you start thinking don't they even have the courtesy. And then you stop caring. Even evil Blizzard was courteous to their customers.
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    True. too bad they can't be bothered to do the same with PvE. Guess those people aren't special enough?

Cough....Fomorian and Dread Ring gear.......cough
    edited May 2014
    *looks at PvE rewards*

frishter wrote: »
    90% of the game is pve lol. I didn't really get that statement either.

I don't get it either......

Trust me
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    : checks out the nice Rank 5 Black Ice enchant she got in PvE, then looks at thread again:

It's no different than doing the two PvP dailies for AD and Glory. If you don't like PvP much then just do A LITTLE a day. One kill here and there will add up over time.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Learn to love PVP, people. In fact, your PVE skills will increase if you PVP a lot. Why? There's nothing more challenging than fighting a fellow player. They're not a program: they think, react and attack. Talk to some PVP guilds or your friends who PVP a lot, learn builds and learn which powers are most effective.

It's all fun and you'll learn to love it.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    edited May 2014
    prettycelt wrote: »
    Nope. Over the course of seven years of various MMO's and I still rabidly hate PvP as much as ever. It has nothing to do with the system, either...I am good at figuring out what works. It is because the vast majority of hardcore PvPer's are A-HOLES. Plain and simple. It brings out the worst in people and even in small doses it makes my blood pressure rise. So no thank you, I'll happily abstain and be satisfied with the gear available to me out here in PvE land.

So long as there is no relevant and vital content exclusive to PVP, I believe what cryptic did is fair.

There are tons and tons of gear exclusive to PVE folks as well. Much much more.

Dread ring and Fomorian gear.

So I would like to bring up your statement back, why did you think it was a "tragically horrible idea"? Is it a bad idea because you wouldn't get it, or is it a bad idea for other reasons? Or did your last sentence signify you retracting that quote?
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Nope. Over the course of seven years of various MMO's and I still rabidly hate PvP as much as ever. It has nothing to do with the system, either...I am good at figuring out what works. It is because the vast majority of hardcore PvPer's are A-HOLES. Plain and simple. It brings out the worst in people and even in small doses it makes my blood pressure rise. So no thank you, I'll happily abstain and be satisfied with the gear available to me out here in PvE land.

Agree with this completely. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • butimonlybutimonly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Please DON'T remove injuring while killing with PvP flag. And may be approve to use usual Potion of Major Healing. It's business, nothing personal... ;)
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To OP, pvp is not a horrible scenario flooded with tons of A-holes like you mentioned. You can see it from a different perspective where pvp is actually pve with mobs of extremely high AI to some dumb no brainers. If you know how to pve and excel in it, you will have no problem doing pvp as you got a high gs and quite little skill in playing. Go try open pvp zone, although i dislike chased by 2 GWFs from pvp zone till outside the pvp area and chain-proned to death in this morning but i will still pvp. However, those who killed me is on my blacklist and i will pay them back 100 times. This is called good attitude and sportsmanship.

"You two assaulted a cleric who didn't offend you at all and just run away instead of fighting back. Then you insult him again for being killed too easily? Shut up, if you feel amazed by using 2 GWFs to gank just to successfully kill a cleric after running a quarter of the map, why not you try and roll a cleric and kill tons of GWFs??"
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Hmm just about every Event with all those tasty skins and special companions--is PVE.

I think it's fair...

And really, after the first few days of people who have to have everything yesterday, it prob wont be that hard for you to get the scrimshaw.

Heck I went with a buddy of mine and we couldn't even find ONE enemy to kill in our instance....So we switched, and tagged around with a group of people that we didn't know, and it was quite easy.
  • kevinc55kevinc55 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    ^ ^ this!
    edited May 2014
    If Cryptic is listening, why not make these Vanity weapon skins available in the Zen store? You're missing out...I'd happily pay for them.

You need to reward these PVPers with exclusive vanity items. You need to reward accomplishments and goals. If you make everything available on the zen store, it would greatly diminish the value.
    So yes, it is a horribly tragic idea because I (and others like me) will likely never get that gear. I would have to subject myself to the endless a-holery that transpires daily in the PvP rounds, and it simply isn't worth my mental health.

You say you actively dislike PVP, well a lot of PVPers actively dislike PVE. So where does that put us? Should Fomorian and Dread gear drop off the highest scorer in PVP matches? With your logic, PVPers should then have equal access to ALL PVE gear without having to do PVE.
    If, as PvP folks are fond of saying, your PvP makes you such awesome PvE'ers as well, then obtaining all that PvE gear should not be an issue for you.

And then you go on about saying how PVPers can easily obtain PVE gear. Through what method? PLAYING PVE. So how does that entitle you to get PVP gear by not playing PVP?