test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WTLearn from an exp'd PvP Guardian Fighter :D

vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited June 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hello there!

Just looking for an experienced guardian fighter that knows what pvp is and would nicely agree to discuss some build related things with me.

P.S It's not like I have just started pvping with my Guardian Fighter, I already have a profound set on it (2 actually...) and apvp artifact. Just want to know if I am doing something wrong...
@ryvengrothexplorer
Post edited by vasdamas on

Comments

• Options
    damanhur89damanhur89 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Hi there, I played the GF since beta. How did you build your GF? just tell me your ability scores and stats, then I can almost imagine what gear you use ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys, already found out what I wanted.

Conqueror isn't the way for me to play.
  • Options
    aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    He is maybe exaggerating but it is not that important, or? Matter of fact seems to many that playing the GF is not very enjoyable, either you get told to be useless in PvE or you are helpless in PvP; as it is now, you could give the GF 60.000 HP only to see that he is still easy controlled and only a nuisance that takes a bit longer to dispose of.

I like to play a GF and that is why I stick to the class, but I am not so interested (not willing to invest often a lot of time) in beating every content of the game as fast as possible; but it seems a bit pitiful that a lack of determination for online games is one of the prerequisites for this "tank" class that lets a player stick with this class.

It is not that I want a state of things like in PWI where a dd stealth class was almost unabe to kill a tank or other elusive range classes but for the GF we are at this point already: tendency is that you have better chances against weaker geared players but rapidly lower chances against equal or better geared players.
    The reason for this state of things is not gear alone, it is the usability of powers and of the play mechanics; hell, I see GWFs breaking free of Cresendo with Unstoppable while a GF has to endure everything and is not able to break free nor to raise her shield.
    Or Into the Fray is only somewhat useful before a (PvP) fight but very risky mid-fight, same goes for Iron Warrior.
    And one of the strongest attack combos of a GF is her At-Will Cleave which gets almost useless in PvP, so this class gets a total reversal of main damage sources, from At-Wills to Encounters, and this class seems to be unable to put pressure on the enemies in any reliable way.
  • Options
    wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, maybe these are obvious but they're worth mentioning.

1. If you're a CQ with Reckless Attacker, remember to compare yourself with people who are around your gear score MINUS the Reckless Attacker power bonus. For instance, if it's giving you 3k power and your gear score is 16k, then you should actually be comparing yourself to people with a GS of 13k.

2. Look up soft caps and diminishing returns. Do NOT go over the following numbers or your points are completely wasted:

Recovery - 3800 (25.06%)
    Defense - 3600(34.31%)
    ArPen - 3600(28.52%)
    Critical - 8500(47.51%)
    Life steal - 2100(12.73%)
    Movement - 3200(20.64%)
    Regen - 2100(12.82%)
    Deflect- -3200(20.27%)

3. Think for yourself. Don't treat anyone's word as gospel. Not mine, not anyone you see in game, not famous GFs like AntMonster, no one. Everyone can make mistakes, and the person who knows your play style best is you. Do your own research.

4. Right now in Domination PvP the winner is who gets the most capture points, not the most kills. Don't sell yourself short if you're doing a good job stalling for your team. I've seen plenty of games where the people who got the most kills actually lost the match.

5. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. Nearly all GFs use Lunging Strike and Bull Rush, but the best third slot is up for debate. Some people like Anvil of Doom, some people like Frontline Surge, some people like Knight's Challenge, and some people like Griffon's Wrath. It will depend a lot on your play style and build, and again, no one knows this better than you.

6. Psychology is playing a major role in how people feel about the GF. Mathematically the GF is underpowered, but not garbage at all. Again, this is why it's important to think for yourself.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    After pvping A LOT on GWF, HR, CW and some on TR, I am coming back with my GF. Why? It is easily the most under rated class in the game in pvp. As said above, the whole point of domination is node control. My experience is telling me that even the gwf does not hold a node better than a gf.

GF's can chain prone like no-one else. On my HR, an aimed shot crit can one shot most gwfs in the midst of battle. GF's = "blocked". I really only see GF's going down when they are gang-attacked by most of the team. Really, I think of them as equals to gwfs in pvp- they are tanks. I am sure there are plenty of people zomging at this statement, but it is what I am finding to be true.

And there are a ton of really good GF's around.

It is an awesome, powerful class to play in pvp. It is cheap to gear. Cant wai to respec and regear mine.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    PvP in pugs is all I do. No premades unless the queue puts me in a partial. I play GF only. I play non-traditional GF. I have a Tiefling. I have never seen another tiefling GF.

when I get into a match people pretty much ignore me. Gf's do little damage and usually people kill them last. Where I am valuable (in a pug now, not premade ubers) is forcing more than 1 to have to come to me and eradicate me from a point. Sometimes it can take up to 3 players a minute+. Thats pretty much your role in apvp game where there are no assigned points. Make the other team use more than 1 asset to take you out, that leaves less of them on the other nodes.
  • Options
    mehpvpmehmehpvpmeh Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    Well, maybe these are obvious but they're worth mentioning.

1. If you're a CQ with Reckless Attacker, remember to compare yourself with people who are around your gear score MINUS the Reckless Attacker power bonus. For instance, if it's giving you 3k power and your gear score is 16k, then you should actually be comparing yourself to people with a GS of 13k.

2. Look up soft caps and diminishing returns. Do NOT go over the following numbers or your points are completely wasted:

Recovery - 3800 (25.06%)
    Defense - 3600(34.31%)
    ArPen - 3600(28.52%)
    Critical - 8500(47.51%)
    Life steal - 2100(12.73%)
    Movement - 3200(20.64%)
    Regen - 2100(12.82%)
    Deflect- -3200(20.27%)

Umm... Did I read this wrong or something?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    PvP in pugs is all I do. No premades unless the queue puts me in a partial. I play GF only. I play non-traditional GF. I have a Tiefling. I have never seen another tiefling GF.

Umm...
    Now you're not the only tiefling guardian fighter :3 And I think I've seen somebody else numerous times already...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mehpvpmeh wrote: »
    Umm... Did I read this wrong or something?

lol ok, no one is going to get their movement speed that high. Some of these numbers are kind of absurd. But actually it's very easy to get defense that high or over, even with tier one gear. And that amount of recovery's not hard to get either. It's a good reference aside from the movement speed.

Or if you're talking about the Reckless Attacker thing, yah, that's a big reason why GFs feel underpowered. They're removing the gs bonus for module 3 so GFs will know who they are supposed to be matched up with AND not go into dungeons they are actually not ready for. Some people will be pissed about it but I'll be relieved. lol
  • Options
    pa1nk1ller1989pa1nk1ller1989 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    what about gear and armor and rings/belts etc? i would love to see some offensive focused suggestions as well as some defensive ones and what is the most effective in pvp? i personally prefer mostly offensive gear and conqueror
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    lol ok, no one is going to get their movement speed that high. Some of these numbers are kind of absurd. But actually it's very easy to get defense that high or over, even with tier one gear. And that amount of recovery's not hard to get either. It's a good reference aside from the movement speed.

Or if you're talking about the Reckless Attacker thing, yah, that's a big reason why GFs feel underpowered. They're removing the gs bonus for module 3 so GFs will know who they are supposed to be matched up with AND not go into dungeons they are actually not ready for. Some people will be pissed about it but I'll be relieved. lol

No I mean 3600 arp? You hit HEAVY diminishing returns around 2k, stacking higher than that is absurd. (Yes rogues used to stack as high as 3k but that was a LONG time ago, the game is completely different now.)

8500 crit!?!?! You don't want to go above 1500.

All those numbers are off by A LOT.

Regen is useless past 1400 I think? I have a chart bookmarked but I'm not on my main PC.

Check your facts or word your advice more clearly, we got enough people in this game who have no clue what's going on, don't spread the Plague!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No I mean 3600 arp? You hit HEAVY diminishing returns around 2k, stacking higher than that is absurd. (Yes rogues used to stack as high as 3k but that was a LONG time ago, the game is completely different now.)

8500 crit!?!?! You don't want to go above 1500.

All those numbers are off by A LOT.

Regen is useless past 1400 I think? I have a chart bookmarked but I'm not on my main PC.

Check your facts or word your advice more clearly, we got enough people in this game who have no clue what's going on, don't spread the Plague!

Ok, when you have time please post more updated numbers. You're right. I got these from an old thread. And we should definitely post the numbers somewhere on the Barracks. Thanks! =]
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Ok, when you have time please post more updated numbers. You're right. I got these from an old thread. And we should definitely post the numbers somewhere on the Barracks. Thanks! =]

It's a good job I was sitting down, the shock of reading the above would have floored me otherwise. A polite and calm admission of being wrong.. in an MMO forum? Really? Nurse, my pills :D

Also, yes, it would be great if we could pull together some decent sets of numbers for folks. I think this is still current, and may help a bit:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    It's a good job I was sitting down, the shock of reading the above would have floored me otherwise. A polite and calm admission of being wrong.. in an MMO forum? Really? Nurse, my pills :D

Also, yes, it would be great if we could pull together some decent sets of numbers for folks. I think this is still current, and may help a bit:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj

Yeah man that link is still current as far as I know.

And he had the right information, he was just quoting the wrong part of it.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?559701-Soft-Cap-list

Recovery - 1600 (13.86%)
    Defense - 1600(24.65%)
    ArPen - 2000(20.27%*)
    Critical - 1700(15.16%)
    Life steal - 600(4.99%)
    Movement - 1200(10.11%)
    Regen - 600(4.99%)
    Deflect - 1200(10.10%)

Those are the numbers you want, don't go over these in general, each class is different and somethings might be worth the DR (regen for example was well worth stacking to 1500 pre Tenacity). But thats a pretty good guideline as far as I know.
  • Options
    pa1nk1ller1989pa1nk1ller1989 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Recovery - 1600 (13.86%)
    Defense - 1600(24.65%)
    ArPen - 2000(20.27%*)
    Critical - 1700(15.16%)
    Life steal - 600(4.99%)
    Movement - 1200(10.11%)
    Regen - 600(4.99%)
    Deflect - 1200(10.10%)

are these numbers the softcap? cause any GF can go in most(especially defence) much higher than this without even trying....what's the point the developer giving so low cap and stats that is impossible *not* to reach......perhaps thats a factor contributing to GFs being less durable than the roll of tank dictates.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Recovery - 1600 (13.86%)
    Defense - 1600(24.65%)
    ArPen - 2000(20.27%*)
    Critical - 1700(15.16%)
    Life steal - 600(4.99%)
    Movement - 1200(10.11%)
    Regen - 600(4.99%)
    Deflect - 1200(10.10%)

are these numbers the softcap? cause any GF can go in most(especially defence) much higher than this without even trying....what's the point the developer giving so low cap and stats that is impossible *not* to reach......perhaps thats a factor contributing to GFs being less durable than the roll of tank dictates.

I don't think those are soft caps but rather maximum returns. But yah, defense is way too easy to over stack, which is a problem. I use two sets of gear and trying to figure out how to get efficient bonuses out of both of them is a headache.
  • Options
    damanhur89damanhur89 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I am a GF tiefling, too ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    damanhur89 wrote: »
    I am a GF tiefling, too ;)

I wanted to be a GF elf. lol

I think one of the reasons why I can't become a GF master (aside from the fact that I play on a laggy laptop) is that I'm an aesthetics *****. I'm still on rank 5s and am missing an artifact have decided I just don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anymore, so I've spent a ton on transmutations and dyes rather than save for rank 7s. I was good about saving in the past, managing to buy 2 soulforges for both my armor sets, getting plaguefire up to normal and what-not. I've got a ton of glory saved though for when module 3 comes out, because I want the new PvP artifacts and I may find that Timeless won't cut it in the open world.

But that said... I'm mostly looking forward to the new faces. xD

I'll never be a GF master. It was just not meant to be.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My GF is a tiefling too. So there are at least 3 in the game. And is the second favorite character to play, that I have. Behind my main DC.
  • Options
    havvkyhavvky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Big question for all GFs, Dex still adds to Arpen % right?
    From this thread
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?358391-Con-(GWF)-and-Dex-(GF)-are-now-addative-to-Armor-Penetration
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    havvky wrote: »
    Big question for all GFs, Dex still adds to Arpen % right?
    From this thread
    nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?358391-Con-(GWF)-and-Dex-(GF)-are-now-addative-to-Armor-Penetration

Yes, Dex contributes to Resistance Ignored. Mouse over your Dex it will show the %, add that to the % you get when you mouse over your Arp stat and thats your total.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am one of the best pvp GF's in the game.....in my own mind.
  • Options
    dwamurdwamur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    I am one of the best pvp GF's in the game.....in my own mind.

I trust your word, for you have a miniature giant space hamster.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dwamur wrote: »
    I trust your word, for you have a miniature giant space hamster.

Isn't a miniature giant just normal sized?
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Currently now i use full power and some armor pen + timless hero for some critt .
    Cuz i left my old bloodthirsty GF in dust(spend on him too much and gain only nerfs now its almost usless ) i use only rank 5-6 enchants and no armor and wep enchant on it the folowing rotaion kill any CW mark/ bull/fs/ti/lung and if he is no dead tr.
    I have low regen low shild def low def low def and low ls.
    My experience is :i die 10 or more times but i have 20 -30 kills .
    Currently what do you expect from GF is not working, no GF can do what GWF or TR or HR or DC or CW can do face 2 or 3 ppl and win not if they are greaded your only hope is to kill 1 fast enugh.
    I hope y got your answer . Also the new PVP conq wep is awesome the best dps wep in both pvp and pve i even placed my formorian in my bank .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2014
    WTB GF buff ... :(
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2014
    Recovery - 1600 (13.86%)
    Defense - 1600(24.65%)
    ArPen - 2000(20.27%*)
    Critical - 1700(15.16%)
    Life steal - 600(4.99%)
    Movement - 1200(10.11%)
    Regen - 600(4.99%)
    Deflect - 1200(10.10%)

Aiming for PvP the stats you want would be the following:

Power: 4000
    Critical: 1700
    ArPen: 2000
    Recovery: 1100

Defense: 4300+
    Deflect: 2200
    Regen: 1500
    Tenacity: 1000

HP: 36 000
    As lifesteal does not play any role for GF ,the movement could be useful in many situations.

Those are the stats you are looking for if you want to do the most of your GF in PvP.
    You can go really close to those numbers by using rank 8 enchants and different Stat/Item/Artifact alocation.
    As it was proven being a hybrid is the most effective way to go.But even then you are worthless bish lol.

But thats just basics...Right after the M3 those companions and black ice gear will not make things any easier for the class
    ...i guarantee it.

Peace
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Aiming for PvP the stats you want would be the following:

Power: 4000
    Critical: 1700
    ArPen: 2000
    Recovery: 1100

Defense: 4300+
    Deflect: 2200
    Regen: 1500
    Tenacity: 1000

HP: 36 000
    As lifesteal does not play any role for GF ,the movement could be useful in many situations.

Those are the stats you are looking for if you want to do the most of your GF in PvP.
    You can go really close to those numbers by using rank 8 enchants and different Stat/Item/Artifact alocation.
    As it was proven being a hybrid is the most effective way to go.But even then you are worthless bish lol.

But thats just basics...Right after the M3 those companions and black ice gear will not make things any easier for the class
    ...i guarantee it.

Peace

Listen to this man. Although I'm a recovery *****, so I stack a little more. I like my encounters *shrug*
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Listen to this man. Although I'm a recovery *****, so I stack a little more. I like my encounters *shrug*

Just started this class so I could feel GF's pain.

Aware me on recovery for GF, why do you stack it?
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)