What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Ranger Paragon Path: Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    vibo21vibo21 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is there any chance that Boar Skin will give just 10 stacks ? These stacks are vanishing so quickly, that only increasing of the limit by nature feat is useless, because u won;t reach 10 stacks in fight anyway..
  • Options
    kindwarfkindwarf Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    With all that in mind, please look at GWF performance alongside TR and HR as those are much closer to the performance values we would like to see.

(Taken from another thread about another class, originally posted 03-23-2014, 01:21 AM)

If the performance levels are much closer to those you would like to see, why destroy it?
    How can we take anything you say seriously, in the face of such an obvious contradiction?

Jus' sayin..
  • Options
    dwamurdwamur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    Honestly, I think changing Aimed Shot so that DoT's don't interrupt it would be best.

That's a very good point. Plaguefire is a "go to" enchant in PvP for Guardians, because of the DoT it applies. If Aimed Shot gets cancelled by DoT, that's going to make HRs quite unhappy when they are faced with PF-wielding opponents.
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some General Feedback - Combat Feat HR

Went on preview yesterday, not sure if it was mentioned but Stormstep changed again. The effect is back to 1 second unless it is used again within a 10 second period. If used before the 10 second refresh its only .5 second effect.

Fought with another HR, nature/pathfinder spec and went against a TR who was permastealth hybrid. It took a good 40 minutes to kill him and I really think we got lucky. Fox shift seems really weak. I was on my Combat spec HR and my damage was really crippled even with the change to FS. Split shot was also worthless. I found I just used rapid shot instead. Electric shot's damage is nowhere near old split shot or rapid shot and the speed is too slow. It felt like my character become really weak and without even running numbers you can feel the damage decline. In fairness the TR was no slouch but 2 rangers taking 40 minutes to kill a TR is pretty sad, permastealth or not.

I ended up dropping FS and running with hindering shot instead as I already had constricting. If I had spent time respec'ing I would of also ran with Binding arrow. As FS felt like THE combat melee power and its now reduced, it just felt less useful. Maybe part of it is situational.

I also did some pve testing and forced myself to use Split Shot, FS and Stormstep. Even with storm, every power seemed to take longer to refresh and we already have a pretty long refresh time since we have double the powers. There were a few times I could either only melee or use split shot. Split shots damage on multiple mobs is pretty weak now. No longer feels like a cc damage ability and more like a small dot. Maybe in a group its ok but I almost would rather go single target damage and stand back if I had help. Switched to electric but without the cone effect, if a mob is not in electrics area, it doesnt hit which than makes it a weak, slow rapid shot.

I would say it will be hard for many to spec combat anymore and even with the changes, it will be hard for me to use split shot or FS anymore. I'm assuming this is the intended affect but it is disappointing. I can see people mostly running archery or nature now, depending on playstyle and rapidshot/AS becoming the go to power set.

PS. This is in no way intended to reflect badly on Permastealth or TR's, I feel my brother's in nerfed arms have been inappropriately touched enough and I have no issue fighting or dying to PS TR's.

Nature Spec HR

Oakskin - I am really liking the changes here. Just don't nerf them in a year when we become attached to them. This and battlehoned together are pretty awesome so far. Was only able to do some pve with him as I dont have my 3rd boon yet and I can never get in a domination match on preview.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    instantjaksinstantjaks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2014
    HR = Dead class with nerf on SS and FS. No way around it. This dmg nerf will leave HR on the dps output of a GF, and we all know GF's dps is just about the worst dps in game. Instead of blades and arrows we will be hitting people with wet noodles.-
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    HR = Dead class with nerf on SS and FS. No way around it. This dmg nerf will leave HR on the dps output of a GF, and we all know GF's dps is just about the worst dps in game. Instead of blades and arrows we will be hitting people with wet noodles.-

Pure hyperbole. If anything Pathfinder is a PvP buff given it's higher single target damage and varied stealth windows.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    bulletdancerbulletdancer Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Pure hyperbole. If anything Pathfinder is a PvP buff given it's higher single target damage and varied stealth windows.

ya, PVP buff. but MAJOR nerf for PVE.

our damage already has over the top restrictions, with most our of aoe, the critters just walk through it. our best damage at will is so interuptable its useless, none of our cc even holds a target long enough to get a aimed shot off.
    disrupted shot, actually to slow, will only inturupt long wind powers.
    the new paragon, is useful in pvp, and has some utility in pve, but without DAMAGE we will not see the inside of pve team content.
    the way i see it, they do not want the HR in dungeons with these changes, they do not want the HR to be DPS, we are a class that has a lot of nifty gimmicks, that is all.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

And by stealth, you mean the hiding in giant grass blades that anyone with 2 brain cells can see exactly where you are? =P Just sayin its a bit of a dead giveaway.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    stah01 wrote: »
    And by stealth, you mean the hiding in giant grass blades that anyone with 2 brain cells can see exactly where you are? =P Just sayin its a bit of a dead giveaway.

lol, I assumed the grass was invisible to other people. This is actually a good point while being super hilarious. I admit I actually laughed out loud on this one ^_^

So then...

Make the large grass blades that appear during Ambush invisible to other players in PvP...otherwise it isn't 'stealth' at all.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    lol, I assumed the grass was invisible to other people. This is actually a good point while being super hilarious. I admit I actually laughed out loud on this one ^_^

So then...

Make the large grass blades that appear during Ambush invisible to other players in PvP...otherwise it isn't 'stealth' at all.

I agree with this 100%. Glad I could make someone laugh =)
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Pathfinder Changes as of 4/10.

Pathfinder
    Ambush: No longer deals damage to allies, and now mentions that both effects are removed when using a power.
    Careful Attack: Now lasts up to 25 seconds and only can affect a singel target at once. Damage no longer removes the effect, but instead can trigger the damage bonus once every 1.5 seconds. No longer reduces target's damage.
    Hunter's Teamwork: Now also reduces target's damage.
    Quarry Feat: Now correctly affects all powers.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    gipsylassgipsylass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited April 2014
    Just got on test to see how HR works with the new changes - went to Sharandar (just got Level 60 recently) to try some of the quests.

Almost died just because of a few powries - before I was able to handle them ok. Second fight was a Cyclop plus a few powries - no chance. I hate to say this - but this won't work at all.

And it makes me really sad because HR is my favourite class and I waited for it so long and now you destroy it.
    Who's gonna take a class along that won't make much damage and has not many other helpful abilities? And how is one going to make it on one's own with a nerf like this?

PvP - I don't care about but PvE the class is not playable - not for me anyway :(.

Please reconsider.
  • Options
    mirestoudemirestoude Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm hoping this is a bug as it was fixed prior to the last update. But the stealth from ambush leaves as soon as you press the button. This gives mobs plenty of time to interrupt Aimed Shot. If this is intentional, it makes Ambush about half as useful as it should be. Please make it cancel the stealth after the power's cast time has finished not on button press.
  • Options
    vibo21vibo21 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hunter's Teamwork: The drop not always can be picked up. Even if I don;t have full health bar it sometimes work, sometimes not...

One more thing: could u implement to HR a bar at the left/right side of each encounter skill, so it would say if skill in the other stance than actually used already refilled or not (it could go up from down while your encounter is refilling) ? Plz, life would be easier :)
  • Options
    catchtheteemocatchtheteemo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My HR is 14.3k archery spec with 5.8k power, 2.5k ArP & 3.3k crit. Right now the DPS seems okay, i can barely manage to keep up the DPS & stay in top 3 in the team i usually play with.

Problem is when u take 45% of split shot away, HR will lose a lot of DPS. The encounters even after re-work will barely make any difference. So the HR which had some usefulness in parties with its DPS will lose that. Now it will have no useful encounters, dailies or any DPS dmg worth considering. Simply put, it makes no sense to take it to dungeons (PvE).

I have 5 toons (CW, DC, HR, GF & GWF) all over 14k GS. I stopped playing my GF long while back, now HR will join the bench soon.
  • Options
    proyekcjaproyekcja Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Buffs that would balance out this nerf:
    I'd like to point out that while split shot had OP damage for an AOE skill, HRs weren't as OP as that would imply due to the 5-target limit on split shot, which meant that when a huge number of mobs were pulled in a dungeon, split shot still did far less dps than some CW skills with a higher target limit.
    In massive AOE situations, if the 5-target limit was removed, split shot with a 45% damage nerf would still deal better damage than it does now. For lower enemy counts it's a good thing that split shot spam will not be the best way to go.

We'd need an equally good buff to our single damage abilities though - I'd double the damage of rapid shot. The result will be that hunters-rangers will be very good single target snipers, and instead of spamming split shot to kill entire groups will need to choose who dies first, making a strategic decision, which is always a good thing.

Yes, doubling rapidshot damage is alot but 1) it was underpowered to begin with and 2) hunters need to have really good damage to be as useful as gwfs that have good damage and can tank, or cws that have good damage and control abilities.

I'd also give Aimed shot a 50% damage boost. The long windup and risk of interruption needs to be better rewarded. For pvp, I'd remove the sound effect - really too much for a hidden sniper to broadcast to all his enemies: "I AM PREPPING TO SHOOT YOU IN 1.5 SECONDS".
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Just as I posted in the other thread. I think aimed shot is perfect the way it is. It needs that sound effect, to give people a chance to notice and do somethign about it in that time frame. And without that risk of interruption the ability will quickly become far too overpowered, even more so with the damage boost your proposing.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    proyekcja wrote: »
    Buffs that would balance out this nerf:
    I'd like to point out that while split shot had OP damage for an AOE skill, HRs weren't as OP as that would imply due to the 5-target limit on split shot, which meant that when a huge number of mobs were pulled in a dungeon, split shot still did far less dps than some CW skills with a higher target limit.
    In massive AOE situations, if the 5-target limit was removed, split shot with a 45% damage nerf would still deal better damage than it does now. For lower enemy counts it's a good thing that split shot spam will not be the best way to go.

We'd need an equally good buff to our single damage abilities though - I'd double the damage of rapid shot. The result will be that hunters-rangers will be very good single target snipers, and instead of spamming split shot to kill entire groups will need to choose who dies first, making a strategic decision, which is always a good thing.

Yes, doubling rapidshot damage is alot but 1) it was underpowered to begin with and 2) hunters need to have really good damage to be as useful as gwfs that have good damage and can tank, or cws that have good damage and control abilities.

I'd also give Aimed shot a 50% damage boost. The long windup and risk of interruption needs to be better rewarded. For pvp, I'd remove the sound effect - really too much for a hidden sniper to broadcast to all his enemies: "I AM PREPPING TO SHOOT YOU IN 1.5 SECONDS".

For rapid shot: I do not want the damage per hit to be increased but rather the number of hits- make it more "rapid".

For aimed shot: It does silly damage already with a vorpal and it would be pretty silly to just stand in the open and try to cast it. You cast it (I do anyways) when an enemy is barely in your line of sight and is fairly far away; the same way every sniper in history has done it, by minimizing their profile as much as possible. To them you are a blip in the distance in their periphery and that green could be anything from being enfeebled to being under the effects of disruptive shot.

A couple of buffs I would like:

1. Camouflage- an encounter that makes your character the same color as the immediate area in which the encounter was cast, for five seconds. Not true stealth as all visual effects other than gear color would remain intact, but definitely a boost to the rangers ability to confuse enemies as to its movements. An alternate would be transparency which also would not be true stealth so much as exactly what you see when you catch a stealthed TR with a mouse-over: just an outline.

2. Highspeed Lowdrag- a Daily using up 100% action points that doubles the speed of time for your ranger for five-ten seconds. Cooldowns would be reduced by half, movement speed increased by 100%, casting time would be halved, but so also would the duration of any "over time" effects.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited April 2014
    overddrive wrote: »

A couple of buffs I would like:

1. Camouflage- an encounter that makes your character the same color as the immediate area in which the encounter was cast, for five seconds. Not true stealth as all visual effects other than gear color would remain intact, but definitely a boost to the rangers ability to confuse enemies as to its movements. An alternate would be transparency which also would not be true stealth so much as exactly what you see when you catch a stealthed TR with a mouse-over: just an outline.

2. Highspeed Lowdrag- a Daily using up 100% action points that doubles the speed of time for your ranger for five-ten seconds. Cooldowns would be reduced by half, movement speed increased by 100%, casting time would be halved, but so also would the duration of any "over time" effects.

Love these ideas. Though maybe less camo than that transparancy one though which wouldnt be a bad passive or a feat with ambush slotted.

Kinda wish there were some kind of way to get different types of itemized arrows like a moderately resistable poison, sleep, or fire. Like maybe an ammunition type that we could have on item bar slotted from inventory because currently the only thing i ever slot in item slot is 1 or 2 types of potion 3rd one is usually bare or automatically slotted buff potion which makes me more often then not use the wrong potion.

Would be cool to have a poison skill & item that only certain classes such as ranger or tr can expertly use giving them more dps and effects because all those two classes seem to do is damage or stun were as with the skill and item we would be able to "Sleep" (sleep till hit) "Poison" (slow/dot) "Fire" (extra damage).

Where as fighters damage, knockdown power up, wizards control dot and smash. and clerics do what they do. TR just does damage and stuns HR just does damage with some effect (vines, disrupt) but not much else, poison of some kind would make both be able to do more than just damage.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Love these ideas. Though maybe less camo than that transparancy one though which wouldnt be a bad passive or a feat with ambush slotted.

Kinda wish there were some kind of way to get different types of itemized arrows like a moderately resistable poison, sleep, or fire. Like maybe an ammunition type that we could have on item bar slotted from inventory because currently the only thing i ever slot in item slot is 1 or 2 types of potion 3rd one is usually bare or automatically slotted buff potion which makes me more often then not use the wrong potion.

Would be cool to have a poison skill & item that only certain classes such as ranger or tr can expertly use giving them more dps and effects because all those two classes seem to do is damage or stun were as with the skill and item we would be able to "Sleep" (sleep till hit) "Poison" (slow/dot) "Fire" (extra damage).

Where as fighters damage, knockdown power up, wizards control dot and smash. and clerics do what they do. TR just does damage and stuns HR just does damage with some effect (vines, disrupt) but not much else, poison of some kind would make both be able to do more than just damage.

Thanks! I like the poison/extra effect arrows you are talking about. It goes with the "jack of all trades" theme. These could be passives which could be switched out via the potion slots you mention. To ad to your poison idea, I could see "arrows" that ad stacks of chill, arrows that heal...healing as in when that passive is slotted all your encounters work the same but rather than deal damage to enemies they heal party members- even nerfed split shot would heal for huge amounts and ensure the encounter maintains its importance to the class.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited April 2014
    i dunno about the healing arrow that sounds like splitshot by itself would pretty much ruin the clerics chances of getting in anywhere. But the ice arrows idea would be useful for cws as it would increase thier damage and both of our control maybe make hr not so hated by them.

maybe even bleed arrows that just do dot. Was thinking also that the poison have a duration or number of hits to work, or when key for arrows is pressed to be used can be toggled on or off that way they could be added to the consumables merchant and you can buy at least 10-15 of each arrow or poison each adventure for trs and hrs they could have something to spend thier gold on besides injury kits and pots which would bring up value of gold and possibly even AD poison could even be used by the HR for use in melee.

But all things needing to be equal they would probably need to come up with new consumables for the other classes too.

and would probably take time.
  • Options
    futuunfutuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thorn Ward still doesn't deal damage to Trickster Rogues while they are stealthed.
    The animation looks like hitting invisible target but not dealing damage.
    0LQASjV.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm being led to understand that the killing off of the HR is to "Balance PVP".. (admittedly only by other players, PWE/Cryptic are staying close lipped on the subject.)

This game bears the hallmarks of Dungeons and Dragons, and Neverwinter Nights, neither of which had any PVP content.
    In fact both games encourage player co-operation.

The vast majority of the player base neither enjoy, nor want PVP content. The only reason most actually do PVP is so that they can get a second artifact, then they stop. (which also explains the vastly lopsided nature of most domination battles. PVE players do not spec, or gear for PVP. They just grind it out as best they can with their PVE gear and loadout.)

If you want to make Neverwinter a PVP game, please be honest about it, and remove the PVE endorsement. At least then, the majority of players can move on and find a game more suited to their PVE tastes.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Member Posts: 1,608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kindwarf wrote: »
    If you want to make Neverwinter a PVP game, please be honest about it, and remove the PVE endorsement. At least then, the majority of players can move on and find a game more suited to their PVE tastes.

Another anti PvP comment totally overlooking the fact that out of the two nerfs split shot was nerfed much more in a PvE sense than PvP also foxes cunning will now hit more in AOE as well as making you immune to damage while it is happening so although it is nerfed in PvP against a single target in PvE it can do just as good.

I personally feel it may be a good idea to just up the target limit of split shot to make up for the nerf of damage a little and keep up dps against players on CW's and GWF's.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Another anti PvP comment totally overlooking the fact that out of the two nerfs split shot was nerfed much more in a PvE sense than PvP also foxes cunning will now hit more in AOE as well as making you immune to damage while it is happening so although it is nerfed in PvP against a single target in PvE it can do just as good.

Thank you, you make my point for me. If the HR has indeed been nerfed to "Balance" PVP, it has killed the HR in PVE.

You evidently don't play a ranger, as you have forgotten the 50% reduction to Stormstep action. You would also have tested the changes on the test server and found that it is now impossible to tackle solo PVE content with an HR. You would also know that amended HR no longer has a function in group content.

I'm not an "anti PVP" person. I'm all for it in such games that are designed for it.
    Please don't pin pre conceived ideas about me to your comments. It is not helpful and in this case incorrect.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I personally think the Split Shot nerf is necessary. I recently brought up a 15k ranged R7 DPS HR (7.5k power, 3.8k crit) on live and even without being fully geared, I out DPS CWs in VT and MC. When considering that this classes damage is way out of line, this had to happen. And I'm by far not an experienced HR player and only own a normal Vorp so far. There are definitely HRs doing much more damage than I am.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    I personally think the Split Shot nerf is necessary. I recently brought up a 15k ranged R7 DPS HR (7.5k power, 3.8k crit) on live and even without being fully geared, I out DPS CWs in VT and MC. When considering that this classes damage is way out of line, this had to happen. And I'm by far not an experienced HR player and only own a normal Vorp so far. There are definitely HRs doing much more damage than I am.

You SHOULD out DPS a CW...
    CW is not supposed to be a DPS class....
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kindwarf wrote: »
    You SHOULD out DPS a CW...
    CW is not supposed to be a DPS class....

That's not the point. The CW damage is confirmed to be out of line in a way that NO class should do that amount. This obviosuly include HRs even though you might feel that they after all indeed should be superior in the paingiver.
  • Options
    winterrozewinterroze Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    loboguild wrote: »

I never post to forums. Never. I do read them because they sometimes help me out with my game play but other than that I leave the messages to the people who want to put time into figuring out what percentage of this combined with the output of that gets the desired result. I just want to play. I just want to have fun.

I think it is wonderful that you and others can do so well with the HR and the changes that are being made.

But this thread is over looking something - not every one has a vorpel - and not everyone has good gear - not everyone has the time to perfect the armor/weapons/enchants combos that help their play style. Not everyone enjoys PVP. And not all PVE players are in a guild to help them. There are a lot of players here who like to solo.

I have 15 toons - some in guilds and some not. 2 HR of which one is a 60 and the other thirty-something - and that doesn't include the ones I have deleted along the way.

Have you tried starting with a fresh HR and no pets, no special equipment - just the HR stock the way you get him/her when you are fresh to the game. I have because I wanted to know how much of what is being said is really the changes being made and how much of it is individual game styles.

My conclusion: The Hunter-Ranger is a dead class. If I were a new player just starting and this was the first class I played - it would likely be the last one as well. Nothing should be that frustrating. You can't kill mobs fast enough with the skills the HR will have even at low levels. When I took my lvl 60 to the test server, we won't even talk about how many pots I used and how many times I died.

That being said. I do believe the split shot needed to be down graded some - but the fact that no one wants them in dungeons or skirmishes should tell the devs something is really wrong with the class over all. Unless the class has better defenses to keep them alive while they whittle their adversary to death or a skill that helps other classes feel like they could be helpful to a group there is no point in playing this class.

Will I quit playing - no - I like the game and over all I think the devs have done a great job - but unless something changes, after the new mod is introduced, my HR will be crafting or combing the AH or some other fun and safe activity. They certainly won't be fighting.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My point stands for an equally geared party. So if you're like 9k and running with other 9ks, you should be able to experience pretty much the same results that I am at 15k running with 15k fellas.

Have I tried it? No. I earn enough ADs through my account that I can more or less gear up to T2 at the point I reach 60. I give you that and I think feedback from different tiers of gear is extremely valuable.