test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Artifacts from Purple to Orange... way to costly!

omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
So I have changed 2 Artifacts from purple to Orange so far and I must say the cost to do so is mind blowing! this takes 5 greater marks of Potency at 100K Ad each, 31 stacks of any 99 arty or enchantment... and a coal or wards! that's very close to 4 million AD for 1 arty that you cant move from char to char. this is way to costly!
A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
Post edited by omgudied2 on

Comments

• Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I'd say it's a fair price for a legendary item. The stats alone are worth it I'd say. Not to mention that legendary means it shouldn't be easy to obtain.

It is my understanding that the stats are maxed out at L 99, so basically its 4M AD to have orange instead of purple and a bump on the active power.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's put things in perspective. Taking a mount from white to purple is 2.8 million AD, Taking a companion from white to purple is 1.55 million AD, There used to be many AH items with a 100 million AD buyout, 100 Zen used to be 30,000 to 35,000 AD, now it's closer to 50,000, and you're complaining about 8 million cost for 2 Orange Artifacts. I think you're getting a bargain.
    omgudied2 wrote: »
    So I have changed 2 Artifacts from purple to Orange so far and I must say the cost to do so is mind blowing! this takes 5 greater marks of Potency at 100K Ad each, 31 stacks of any 99 arty or enchantment... and a coal or wards! that's very close to 4 million AD for 1 arty that you cant move from char to char. this is way to costly!
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you are looking for a reason as to why they are so costly, you need look no further than the zen store.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's put things in perspective. Taking a mount from white to purple is 2.8 million AD, Taking a companion from white to purple is 1.55 million AD, There used to be many AH items with a 100 million AD buyout, 100 Zen used to be 30,000 to 35,000 AD, now it's closer to 50,000, and you're complaining about 8 million cost for 2 Orange Artifacts. I think you're getting a bargain.

The 100 million AD buyout was only there because it would be displayed first for a while, so people saw those items before anyone else's and the seller was hoping that the buyer would bid on their item without looking for others. No item is worth 100 mil AD at this point in the game. So, your point on that is moot. As for the Zen exchange, 500 AD for 1 zen is the cap at this point in time, no matter what anyone else says otherwise. So, your example of 50,000 for 100 zen is the absolute worst case scenario and, from what I last saw a few seconds ago, its 39,600 AD for 100 zen at the moment. That point is also moot. As for your point on the mounts, its A LOT cheaper to just buy an epic zen mount since it is unlocked for all of your characters and it costs 990,000 AD to get the cheapest currently at the exchange rate of 396 AD for 1 zen. Only people with a lot of extra money to spare even bother with mount upgrades; its simply not worth it. The only example you posted that has any real point is about the companion prices.
  • Options
    scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xelliz wrote: »
    It is my understanding that the stats are maxed out at L 99, so basically its 4M AD to have orange instead of purple and a bump on the active power.

Exactly, the RP cost to go from 99 to 100 is 187,000 RP, plus 5 greater marks, plus the Ward if you fail. Only the active power increases. So for the Waters Artifact, you now get 8640 HP instead of 7250.

If you think the best use of 800,000 AD (I value RP at 1.5 AD per) is getting an extra 1390 HP per use, then clearly you have lots of AD.

Even just going up a level from 83 on, it costs at least 100,000 RP and you gain 3 points to the secondary and 6 points to the tertiary attribute. Seems like there are cheaper ways to increase those stats, but if you are a completionist, you'll pay through the nose.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How I leveled my Artifacts:

Earn a Blood Crystal Raven Skull, level it to 59 (will cost you around 300k AD), and use that to refine any other "Power" Artifact (Skull or Lantern). It gives you around 620k RP for only 300k AD spent). Unfortunately, farming Glory isn't as easy as it was before (although GG helps for the time being).

I used the Eye of Lathander to level my Waters (both are "Union").

Long story short, you can level an Artifact this way for around 1.5kk AD. Not too bad, but it requires patience.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    If you want the VERY BEST gear in the game, it costs.

You can pay cash, or invest time.

In setting the prices, they look at how many AD all players have, not just you, and pick an elite price for the elite players.

For me the cost of upgrading to orange is OK, and I earn all of my AD in-game (after initially buying a starter pack and spending a little real money here and there).

There is no reason to upgrade your secondary artifacts to orange, other than status. Upgrading the primary one to orange is probably only important for PvP players that want to compete at the highest levels.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    jddouglas83jddouglas83 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its quite terrible in my opinion at the moment. from 99 to 100 you get a 20% boost in the artifacts usable ability with slight reduction in cooldown time. No new stats, or ability from that level progression. So really there's no reason whatsoever to currently increase an artifact from 99 to 100 unless the character in question already has Rank 10's, Perfects, and Top Tier everything else and doesn't play alts for which the AD could be more appropriately used for.

What ever happened to the days of a games' top items providing unique abilities that were actually useful and functional instead of largely useless, cosmetic, or worth less than cost of improvement?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it's fine, unless you really feel a lot of need to constantly change which artifact you have in your #1 slot.

If it's not a particularly useful thing to pay for... don't pay for it, and rejoice at freeing those AD up for something else.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    if it wasn`t pricy it wouldn`t be legendary.
    case closed.

except the not being able to move part is not very nice yes.
    especialy when you find out there`s something wrong with your basestats after a while.
    same goes for sharandar,dread ring dailies.
    no one like to do that 50 times.
    max charslots i thought, bit extreme but ok.
    even after 6 chars or so it should just give your chars completed boons on every char that reaches 60.

account bound will be nice for artefacts that aren`t obtained from the quest ofcourse, those should stay char bound.
  • Options
    bobherkamerbobherkamer Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I'd say it's a fair price for a legendary item. The stats alone are worth it I'd say. Not to mention that legendary means it shouldn't be easy to obtain.

Hard to obtain as in spend RL money? That's not hard :)
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The cost is ok, refining 5 enchants 1000 times to get a lv 60 to lv 99 is annoying. I have 6 orange artifacts, it would be great if we could move them to another character in our accounts at least.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The cost is OK if you're rich and buy stuff in MMOs instead of farming. The cost is NOT OK if you farm for AD, requires you to be a nolifer for orange artifacts, r10s and BiS.

As for myself, I have stopped leveling artifacts a while ago, when I saw PvP artifacts on a developer, and then the thayan book whatever was released.

Why?

Because I realized they will continue and continue to release this stuff, and you will never "be done with it".

So you will need yet another 10 mils of AD in a short while and then another... and so on.

In this perspective, the costs are NOT REASONABLE.

At all.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Then don't pay them if you don't find them reasonable. Last I checked, Neverwinter was a product that PWI and Cryptic intend to make money off of, which they no doubt do hand over fist, and will continue to do whether you level your artifacts to Orange or not. They make things crazy expensive to A) make them more rare and B) create large currency sinks. Why? Because A) people willing to spend real money on an MMO want the really rare things and B) when people spend the millions and millions of ADs they've been hording and then see the next shiny object, they have to either buy more currency or play a lot to re-earn it. For every one person that straight-up grinds 4 million ADs, there's 10 that buy the Zen instead.

So. from that perspective -- that is, the business perspective -- the costs are very reasonable. completely.
  • Options
    slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The cost is ok, refining 5 enchants 1000 times to get a lv 60 to lv 99 is annoying. I have 6 orange artifacts, it would be great if we could move them to another character in our accounts at least.

Dude if you did not P2W you have my respect for the amount of farming you have done lol.
  • Options
    slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    P2W is the only way.

Or you have to spend one year of playing time to get full 10s and perfects plus orange artifact. And I mean it. I stripe every toon possible so I can afford to have 10s/perfects/one orange artifact on my main.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    4 million AD per month is very reasonable simply with ten toons who have Leadership maxed. Other fun ways to get free AD without farming can be found here.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's called P2W for a reason... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This game cannot be considered p2w, it is really easy to get AD and I'm not talking about using glitches or bugs. That guide made by degraafination show you that there are MANY ways, stop being lazy and that's all.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This game cannot be considered p2w, it is really easy to get AD and I'm not talking about using glitches or bugs. That guide made by degraafination show you that there are MANY ways, stop being lazy and that's all.

Yes of course everybody knows it's Pay for Convenience, riiight?

However...

You did pay real money for those orange artifacts eh :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

How niave,we all have 20 hours a day to farm AD to the quantities required to boost artifacts...

By the way,the earth isn't flat either :rolleyes:
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    tinead51 wrote: »
    How niave,we all have 20 hours a day to farm AD to the quantities required to boost artifacts...

I'd argue its more an issue of patience rather than of time, but that's my perspective.

While I find the cost semi-acceptable, I do think they need to not be bound.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Thank you for taking zero time to read the guide posted. It's 28 ways to earn AD without farming!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Yes of course everybody knows it's Pay for Convenience, riiight?

However...

You did pay real money for those orange artifacts eh :)

Do you expect that I would say Yes just to make you feel better because you don't know how to get AD? Sorry, no.

I didn't pay real money for the orange artifacts.

Off-topic btw.
    fkze9t.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for taking zero time to read the guide posted. It's 28 ways to earn AD without farming!

Thank you for missing the point completely. Carry on.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Do you expect that I would say Yes just to make you feel better because you don't know how to get AD? Sorry, no.

I didn't pay real money for the orange artifacts.

Off-topic btw.

I think someone touched a nerve ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for missing the point completely. Carry on.

Riiight.

I'd just like to take this time to thank Cryptic for making a completely F2P game, giving me access to anything I wish in game so easily, without the burden of farming for hours on end. Awesome, awesome stuff!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    sanesjkasanesjka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have read your guide Trace, and I think what there is here is a failure to understand the "amount " of AD we are talking about to take these artifacts to legendary.

Combining all 28 of your ideas without farming still would not bring in the Sheer amount of AD for most of these people, and some of those "Strategies" you posted about require sitting at an AH vendor for hours playing the AH / Zen exchange game for little come up's here and there.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Going Orange should be costly. It is legendary after all.

But spending your few hours a day online doing nothing but swapping zen and playing the AH, well, I don't think alot of people would see that as a fun way to spend the evening.

Edit: A Good number of your AD strats do require stepping into PvE content for farming or general play.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sanesjka wrote: »
    I have read your guide Trace, and I think what there is here is a failure to understand the "amount " of AD we are talking about to take these artifacts to legendary.

Combining all 28 of your ideas without farming still would not bring in the Sheer amount of AD for most of these people, and some of those "Strategies" you posted about require sitting at an AH vendor for hours playing the AH / Zen exchange game for little come up's here and there.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Going Orange should be costly. It is legendary after all.

But spending your few hours a day online doing nothing but swapping zen and playing the AH, well, I don't think alot of people would see that as a fun way to spend the evening.

Edit: A Good number of your AD strats do require stepping into PvE content for farming or general play.

Some do, others don't (Seals and GG, mainly). You can get an Artifact to level 99 for around 1.8kk AD. To max it out, you'll need another 500k, but that isn't necessary. It's actually quite reasonable to get an Artifact to level 99. On my GWF, I have BCRS at 100, Lantern at 99, and my Waters at 84. On Trace, the same three Artifacts are currently all in the low 90s. Not pricey if done right.

Also, if you're fortunate enough to have your Artifacts crit when refining your Artifact, it cuts down the cost even more. My GWF's BCRS went from 83 to 96 in a lovely critical success. Trace has yet to have one crit.

I only spend around 45 minutes to an hour each day working the AH.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg