test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RNG and the Eye of Lathander

nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have 10 toons. Each one has today 53 Thayan Ciphers.

I never traded for 15 Scrip with "Trade Thayan Intelligence".
I used
1 Thayan Ciphers to get Valindras key
7 Thayan Ciphers on Study Thayan Writings
24 Thayan Ciphers to Decipher Thayan Writings

I had to get 220 scrolls for my adamantine gauntlet, which took me ~21 runs per toon in which
I could not get an Eye of Lathander.
I went for the glove immediately, as I did not think the boons to be a major improvement.
So in total I have collected roughly 53+1+7+24=85 Thayan Ciphers (=Lair runs) per toon, from which 21 could not receive an Eye of Lathander.
Up to today I made in total 850 Lair runs, 640 of them with a adamantine gauntlet.

Since the patch on February 6, 2014 (Patch Notes: NW.10.20140128a.4)
The Dread Ring Arcane Coffer at the end of a Lair can now only be interacted by one play at a time but will now give rewards based on the gauntlet used to open it and not the lowest quality gauntlet used to open it.
I made 260 Lair runs, each one eligible for a gauntlet.

So ... before Feb 6: 380 Lair runs
Since Feb 6: 260 Lair runs

In the 380 Lair runs before Feb. 6 I got a total of 6 eyes (1 eye/63 coffers opened with a adamantine gauntlet)
Whereas since Feb. 6 I got 1 eye from 260 runs (1 eye/260 runs) (ironically on someone who already had an Eye of Lathander)

Now, the terrible thing is, I have 7 eyes, but only on 5 toons, as 2 eyes have dropped on someone who already had an eye.
Of course I want to equip all toons with an Eye!

So I kindly ask, is it possible that, while fixing the Arcane Coffer, the drop rate has been decreased?

It there a remote possibility that we might find an Eye of Lathander for the price of 50, 60, 70 or 100 Thayan Ciphers in a shop one day?

Whatever the chance is to receive an eye, may it be 1:10, 3:100 or 1:100,
Lets agree for the time being that the chance it 1:100.
There always is the Chance that I never "roll 100" and never get an eye, with all the grinding I do.

Is there a chance that the Eye of Lathander shop idea is being considered?
Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
Post edited by nameexpired on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am pretty sure I have had worse luck that you - you have 7 eyes from 640ish adamantine gauntlet runs, which is actually better than 1:100 whereas I have nearly 200 adamantine gauntlet runs and zero eyes... :(
    It there a remote possibility that we might find an Eye of Lathander for the price of 50, 60, 70 or 100 Thayan Ciphers in a shop one day?

This seems like a decent idea - even if it was set to 100 Cipers so long as it was only available to characters that had an adamantine gauntlet.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    OP:

That's an interesting post, thank you. I also (predictably) like your idea of buying the eye with all those extra Thayan items, having done a tone of Purple Ghostie Glove(tm) runs on various characters, and only ever seeing one Eye, early on.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another improvement would be to make Eyes pulled from the Coffer to be Bound-to-Account.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want to point out that drop rates below 1% can indeed be a thing. Even as far back as Ragnarok Online, there have been items with a 1%, 0.1% or even (frustratingly) a 0.01% drop rate.

The Eye of Lathander probably falls into this category. It will never happen, but I would love for Cryptic to be transparent and forthcoming and "we love our community!" about this sort of thing and publish the drop rates for things like the Eye and the Ancestral Iliyanbruen set pieces and whatnot.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just want to point out that drop rates below 1% can indeed be a thing. Even as far back as Ragnarok Online, there have been items with a 1%, 0.1% or even (frustratingly) a 0.01% drop rate.

Don't remind me of that tragedy of a game... I've lost countless nights searching for those 3 frickin' Skeleton Warrior Cards... :/ Found just 1. In a year. :/
  • luckycharms1979luckycharms1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've made a similar amount of runs with one of my toons and used over 100 of the Star Metal Gauntlets to boot.... Still no Eye drop @_@
  • qq88ppqq88pp Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wonder if anyone read something about an "adjusted drop rate" for this item around the 6th of February patch or with the release of the "Unearthed Lockbox".

You can get the PvP artifact for 24k Glory. It might be a high price, but you know how/when to get it.
    I'd love something similar with the EoL, if possible. A goal to work for is something wonderful!
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Only recently did I actually get an eye from 1 of 6 of my toons that got the gauntlet as soon as they could for free. RNG in this game is horrible and streaky hence why you've had a good row of decent luck and now a row a bad luck. I too wish we knew about drop rates. I think it's pretty manipulative for example to sell boosters and lockboxes that you have no idea about the chance to get anything of worth. From my experience, it's a very poor return and probably wouldn't consider investing real money into them.

Is it possible that the drop rate has lowered? Sure, just look at what happened when tonnes of people got free nightmare mounts. I've often noticed seemingly lower drop rates, such as in vt purples used to seemingly drop more than they do now, gifts of tymora I easily farmed near the start and then started to struggle later on, farming my shadow wolf I got several for my toons without much trouble and after that it didn't seem to drop. It could just be a placebo for how bad the rng is though.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone read something about an "adjusted drop rate" for this item around the 6th of February patch or with the release of the "Unearthed Lockbox".

You can get the PvP artifact for 24k Glory. It might be a high price, but you know how/when to get it.
    I'd love something similar with the EoL, if possible. A goal to work for is something wonderful!

Why stop at just the Eye of Lathander? I'd love to see the Emblem of the Seldarine work the same way and I'm positive there are those who'd like to see Valindra's Crown put onto the same kind of system. I have no problems with an RNG drop, but big items like that should (in my opinion, at least) have some way that you can earn them after a (large) number of runs. Maybe something like 200 or 300 runs and you'll have earned the item in question. Give some kind of new seal from the end boss that character binds on pickup and only drops one seal per run EVER, then an NPC who trades those seals for that lair/dungeon's purples at a rate of 200-300 per item.

Spamming a lair or dungeon endlessly is a lot more tolerable when you know that you will eventually get the item you're looking for rather than writhing and squirming eternally in the fiery depths of RNG Drop-Table Hell.

With all due respect to the level designers and the work they put in, haven't we played through a piece of content more than enough times after 300 runs of it?
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    THIS is why I don't even bother doing any dungeons. Playing lottery with lockboxes is one thing (which I also will not do), but wasting an hour of my time (life) to be rewarded with a bucket of cowpies -- pass.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    THIS is why I don't even bother doing any dungeons. Playing lottery with lockboxes is one thing (which I also will not do), but wasting an hour of my time (life) to be rewarded with a bucket of cowpies -- pass.

Totally agree. It's a waste of peoples time giving something a 1% chance to drop. Especially if it's a daily. No one will be making enough attempts to even come close to not getting burned by RNG.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Seeing as how it isn't a must-have item, why should they increase the drop rate?

Think of it as an Angel of Protection (except more rewarding *if* you get it).

If you think RNG is terrible then don't run this dungeon

I've seen enough players WITH this artifact on enclave to know it does drop and a lot of people have acquired it. It is frustrating to get yes but I'd rather go with that than just have everything in this game at once
    edited March 2014
    Why stop at just the Eye of Lathander? I'd love to see the Emblem of the Seldarine work the same way and I'm positive there are those who'd like to see Valindra's Crown put onto the same kind of system. I have no problems with an RNG drop, but big items like that should (in my opinion, at least) have some way that you can earn them after a (large) number of runs.
    Seldarine can be bought. Expensive, but it can be bought.

EoL can not - under any circumstances - be bought. It is BoP always.
  • xcessiveforce40xcessiveforce40 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the bottom line, pwe is in this to make money. Do you have a chance to find an artifact? sure, but its very slim. The solution is to spend that money to get some AD converted and buy an artifact. So spend some dollars and get an artifact. Dont depend on finding one.
    Founder: Xcessiveforce GF, Xcessiveheals DC, XcessiveRange HR, XcessiveArcana CW, XcessiveStab TR
    edited March 2014
    the bottom line, pwe is in this to make money. Do you have a chance to find an artifact? sure, but its very slim. The solution is to spend that money to get some AD converted and buy an artifact. So spend some dollars and get an artifact. Dont depend on finding one.

You realize you can't buy this artifact?
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You don't even need to spend money although that is an option , I wanted the eye to replace my catalog so I bought a load of Star metal gauntlets , that's probably one of the reasons they added the new gauntlets , so that people who really want the artifact but have bad RNG luck can have as many tries as they want per day till they get it.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My own story was funny regading artifacts. I chose the aurora book at first. Then pvped like crazy to get the blood crystal within a week or so of hitting 60. Buggered about in the dread ring for ages getting the boons, and then got the adamantine glove.

2 peridots.
    2 peridots.

2 peridots.

2 peridots.

And then, just after I'd spent a gazillion ad on a lantern, I go to the coffer. And expecting 2 peridots, find an artifact.

So, I used my maxed blue aurora to refine it, and bingo, level 48 in the blink of an eye.

You've either got to few, or too many.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You realize you can't buy this artifact?

The people with the biggest complaints about the RNG for this artifact fall into two categories. There are those who aren't in a position to outright buy an artifact, thus are trying to rely on the ones they can get for free (or invested playtime) to fill those empty artifact slots. They were never going to spend any money regardless. They're just disappointed because they had their hopes up.

*But* there are also the completionists, some of whom have no qualms about dropping large sums to get something just because they want to have it. Some of whom have definitely complained about not being able to simply buy this particular artifact, at any price. And for whom the introduction of the star metal gauntlet seems tailor-made, even though it still means being subject to capricious RNG.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seeing as how it isn't a must-have item, why should they increase the drop rate?

If you think RNG is terrible then don't run this dungeon

I've seen enough players WITH this artifact on enclave to know it does drop and a lot of people have acquired it. It is frustrating to get yes but I'd rather go with that than just have everything in this game at once

Except that it is a must have artifact for some builds. It is a free rez and it works well with Emblem of the Seladrine for increasing Life Steal and Defense.
  • adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I did approximately 40 runs with adamantine gauntlets, but no luck yet (mostly 2 peridots or 1 Ametrine which is the same).

I find farmng ok up to a certain extend, but when I read the numbers presented here
    I am about to skip it now, since the rates are probably so low that I would basically
    have to farm one year in there for a realistic chance to get it.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
    edited March 2014

Except with the angel there is no IF, there is only a WHEN you get it. And that is the point I am trying to make.you have to wait/grind a yearm but you know when you get it.
    edited March 2014
    qq88pp wrote: »
    Except with the angel there is no IF, there is only a WHEN you get it. And that is the point I am trying to make.you have to wait/grind a yearm but you know when you get it.

Right and you eventually get the artifact too.

It might take more days than the angel..... but it is a better reward.
    edited March 2014
    The people with the biggest complaints about the RNG for this artifact fall into two categories. There are those who aren't in a position to outright buy an artifact, thus are trying to rely on the ones they can get for free (or invested playtime) to fill those empty artifact slots. They were never going to spend any money regardless. They're just disappointed because they had their hopes up.

*But* there are also the completionists, some of whom have no qualms about dropping large sums to get something just because they want to have it. Some of whom have definitely complained about not being able to simply buy this particular artifact, at any price. And for whom the introduction of the star metal gauntlet seems tailor-made, even though it still means being subject to capricious RNG.

SMH

So which is it? The star metal gauntlet suddenly makes the artifact easy to get?

I thought the percentages were abysmally low? Double or triple of abysmally low is....wait for it.....ABYSMALLY LOW.

RNG by far determines who gets it soon and who has to struggle through frustrations. If they want to blame p2w for the artifact I feel sorry for them.

And if you are a completionist, guess what, you do have to spend time and effort. LOTS OF IT. What is it with these kids today and their impatience?
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm north of 1000 Gauntlets and have seen the Eye once.
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    I'm north of 1000 Gauntlets and have seen the Eye once.

I got an eye after about 20 or so tries. On the other hand, I haven't seen the SCA thief companion despite many, many more attempts. Random is random.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thebriman wrote: »
    I got an eye after about 20 or so tries. On the other hand, I haven't seen the SCA thief companion despite many, many more attempts. Random is random.

Yup, gotta add that the Eye is absolutely worth it. The ability to resurrect from afar is priceless.
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Yup, gotta add that the Eye is absolutely worth it. The ability to resurrect from afar is priceless.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Now I just need one on my other 5 toons lol.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The star metal gauntlet suddenly makes the artifact easy to get?

No it certainly does not, but it makes it possible to wring potentially oodles of money out of people trying to get more chances at getting it, possibly far more money than if it were possible to buy it outright in the first place.

Which assessment I originally left out of the post you quoted for reasons of downplaying the cynical take on the whole thing.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Over 200 attempts: The best drop i got to come out of it was a Mark of Potency and i've only gotten it once.
    Second best? Going according to AH prices, an Aquamarine. That's sad. I play 4 toons and those are my best.
    And then there's that week i played where all i got were peridots, enchantments, and lesser mark of potency. Not even a blue item. Worst week ever. Worst drop rate ever.
  • tangodiotangodio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    i must be lucky since i got 2 Eyes in less 2 week and by doing just a few runs (no more than 60 runs since Dread ring came out)... Sadly, it's bound on pickup and it's only worth 7500 refining points.

Same for the beetle. i got one (not the legendary one) after 4 box, got the Blink dog from the Tower of Celadaine without doing hundred of runs...