test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CW's in PVP seem way OP!

Comments

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have found that most players that complain that they cannot get into groups or cannot finish dungeons without stacking loads of cws are not in guilds or too lazy to form their own groups. Nerfing cws will not change a lazy mindset.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    niadan wrote: »
    I have found that most players that complain that they cannot get into groups or cannot finish dungeons without stacking loads of cws are not in guilds or too lazy to form their own groups. Nerfing cws will not change a lazy mindset.

I've got no problem starting groups I just think it's sad that if I want to do speed runs the best way to do it is "lfxm cw's for x"
    edited February 2014
    Speed runs can be done with any "elite" group. Why nerf the "non elites" just to cater to a small percentage of the player base? Are you telling me that you, in your guild, cant get into speed runs without stacking cws? Right.
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I assumed your we was CW's.
    No, even if my preferred class is the CW, I still like to have variety in a group.
    The game gains a more balanced approach for pve.
    And that is, what I doubt. As Niadan was saying, I do think if you cut the damage of the CW the community in total would loose and not only the CW's.
    Also if your gwf's are beating your cw's you either only play with the top gwfs in the game or play with pathetic cw's. My experience is that cw's that spec to to damage still lay out tons of control and beat most equally geared gwfs. Even if gwfs had a slight edge it means that the fastest no risk way to play is to stack cw's.
    Neither nor, both GWF's and CW's I play with are both top geared and experienced. The fastest DK runs I've done so far, was with 3x GWF, 1x DC and 1x CW. If I can/could choose I would setup a group as I was saying earlier: 2x CW's at most.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Judging from the OPs forum postings he is a level 40 GF.....probably a little early in the levels and gear grind to be judging class balance. He wouldn't have his full arsenal at that level & would likely be food for a good CW (especially an alt char running epic weapons & enchants).

Now lvl 45 I have some epic pieces from opening chests with keys and so far they are to much power. I've PvPed in many games including 8 years on WoW with several classes. I understand the rock, paper, scissors approach however CWs/ TRs/ GWFs all have to much with CW having it from range!

You should be a DPS master and have less survivability or be a low DPS with High Survivability, with the exception Control for DPS...

CWs, have great CC ( from Range mind you ) with great DPS and survivability? The other classes mentioned have to be in melee range to effect you, where the CW can get high and destroy ppl...

Sure my experience is low, I've been shattered by some good HRs, GFs too but I find them far less powerful then CWs including TRs, GWFs.

So judge me if you will I will post my opinion on what I see, and so far unless CWS get LESS powerful at 60 with better gear I cannot seeing any change!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
    edited February 2014

• tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Now lvl 45 I have some epic pieces from opening chests with keys and so far they are to much power. I've PvPed in many games including 8 years on WoW with several classes. I understand the rock, paper, scissors approach however CWs/ TRs/ GWFs all have to much with CW having it from range!

You should be a DPS master and have less survivability or be a low DPS with High Survivability, with the exception Control for DPS...

CWs, have great CC ( from Range mind you ) with great DPS and survivability? The other classes mentioned have to be in melee range to effect you, where the CW can get high and destroy ppl...

Sure my experience is low, I've been shattered by some good HRs, GFs too but I find them far less powerful then CWs including TRs, GWFs.

So judge me if you will I will post my opinion on what I see, and so far unless CWS get LESS powerful at 60 with better gear I cannot seeing any change!

I was just in a casual set of 1v1's in a guild in house. The GWF killed me easily(threatening rush spam), the GF's killed me with slightly less ease, the HR killed me easily(can't cast with binding and constricting). The only classes I can somewhat counter are TR's(hard), CW's(who has best ping) and DC's(because most have no damage and I can burst through their heals).

CW's have virtually no survivability at all, my main use is as fire support, I burst down the most dangerous target on the opposition team from range and try and provide a little extra control for my team.

My CW isn't a PvP spec though, being a 26k HP thaum stormspell. Your experience in PvP is because you have the stupidly powerful lockbox epics. Once you hit 60 and the Mulhourand epics are at the low end of the power scale you'll see for yourself.

In PvE, my CW is close to top dog, with only high geared CW's(basically who has the most lucky crits) out damaging me or GWFs specced for PvE. I play with 14-16k CWs and 14-18k GWFs. I haven't run dungeons with any high end HR's, but there are a few that come close to my damage and are less geared.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited February 2014
    At 60 the othe classes pass up the CW with their feats and build making them "unstoppable" and making us foder. Also, as you said, you are using some epic gear.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If your experienced then you know you cant judge end game without getting there first.. in particular all feats/boons/gear/enchantments will affect everything.

I play primarily DC in PVP and we can only realistically take out HR's, then some GFs , then weak, and bad played CWs with one and ones..

As far as I can see during PVP mode with a good pug, you will see GWFs (1 or 2) TRs(1 or 2) CWs (1 or 2) and one DC. IF you are lucky to get these people in the 11-13k range, and they all you know stick together and play well , these groups will usually win, sometimes you randomly hit another good pug group and its a fairly fun fight for 10-15mins. Sometimes you get on a group of all under 10k GS (got on one last night with 2 HRs under 7k LOL!) and you will get rolled, doesnt matter what you do.

So in about 200 matches Ive done so far GWFs>TRs>CWs>DCs>GFs>HRs. This may change and DCs will become the lowest on the Totem Pole if proposed changes come into effect (proposed changes will basically have DC with zero % incoming healing most of the time, the hits to temp hit points will also effect us, just not as much as the crazy cryptic nerf to the incoming healing)

The above chain is just a most of the time event happening, There are TRs who can take out most GWFs, and some CWs who are just beastly , but on average pug group with that gear score range(11-13), this is what usually happens. GFs take FOREVER to kill and can stay around a node a long time. HRs seem to be the weakest class, as I can "right now" out heal the vast majority of their damage on my DC and their control effects do not do much to me 1 vs 1.. now if they root me and another class is also on me, Im just fodder, but Im pretty much fodder anyways =).

Then you have premades, Im not on their level, may never be on their level and they will just roll anything but another premade, so I rarely take them into consideration when discussing PVP.. as they are in the minority (let them roll IMO they help pay for the game, I just sit by the fire till the end of match )

Instead of nerfing the CW class, there should be some immunity for other classes to steamroll control tactics (with 26k Hit points and 2.5k defence on my DC, any GWF can just kill me with one set of a rotation without me getting one skill off) It doesnt take any skill to kill poeple when stuff like that happens. All classes should be able to have some immunity after the first CC is placed on you to prevent chaining (2 -3) seconds is enough, at least give people opportunities to counter, make for fairer fights.

Pretty much that will help out and balance stuff (and if they are going to give us healing depression THEY should remove righteousness from DC's, keep us on the same level, not nerf us that far into the ground!)

(my alt is a seldom used CW, so that's why I peruse these forum)
    edited February 2014
    I don't understand how a Healer is more powerful then a GF / HR? Crazy....

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't understand how a Healer is more powerful then a GF / HR? Crazy....

Any kind of theoretical tier system goes out the window when you introduce a huge gear and skill discrepancy. E.g. While a CW makes a very effective counter to a DC in theory, a comparatively weak CW who doesn't play skillfully will be gibbed quickly by even a support-oriented DC. The last time a baby CW tried to 1v1 my DC, I killed it with nothing but Punishing Light just to make a point.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited February 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    Any kind of theoretical tier system goes out the window when you introduce a huge gear and skill discrepancy. E.g. While a CW makes a very effective counter to a DC in theory, a comparatively weak CW who doesn't play skillfully will be gibbed quickly by even a support-oriented DC. The last time a baby CW tried to 1v1 my DC, I killed it with nothing but Punishing Light just to make a point.

Well of course, I may be a new player but I am no ****! I understand my toons weakness and strengths and use them to my best advantage. I just find CWs take less skill to be successful especially at range, GWFs are like the inception of Deathkights they seem to have the best of all the melee classes mixed together.

edited February 2014
    Well of course, I may be a new player but I am no ****! I understand my toons weakness and strengths and use them to my best advantage. I just find CWs take less skill to be successful especially at range, GWFs are like the inception of Deathkights they seem to have the best of all the melee classes mixed together.

Your assessment of CWs will change with experience. They require quite a bit of skill to play effectively when the match-ups are actually competitive. GWFs and TRs, for example, make excellent counters to CWs since they both have ways to ignore control effects and mitigate damage received.

GWFs are popular right now for very good reason: no other class offers the same level of combined damage and survivability. We'll have to see how things shake out in the next Module with possible new PvP systems and further tweaks.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I mean sure they can die if picked on with a TR / GWF but you combine them with a team with another CW your dead! There is no diminishing returns on the spells you are just killed in seconds.

I see everyone just Rolling CWS as the can do what everyone else can better!

Hi 'ripyourlipsoff', i dont think CW's are op in pvp. Perhaps you can link us your char (gear and feat setup) so maybe we can help you?
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • dhuras1dhuras1 Member Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    4 CWs and a DC would never take a point. They'd lose nearly every time. The winning team is almost always the one with the most GWFs/GFs.

Everyone can kill a CW. TR/HR/DC can all do it from range. The only way for an average CW to rack up the kills is for everyone to ignore them. A GF will block everything a CW can throw, them chain prone them to death. CWs are just fodder, unless they're ignored. At best, they're a support class in PvP.
  • astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Now lvl 45 I have some epic pieces from opening chests with keys and so far they are to much power. I've PvPed in many games including 8 years on WoW with several classes.
    Well, myself, as a big WoW fan and a former gladiator, i can't help but imagine a thread somewhere on arenajunkies, claiming something like that: "FROST MAGES OP, NERF!!1 (im playing at 1400)". You do realize the absurdiness, don't you? ;)
    Lol ;) That vid is old as hills and proves nothing - balance changed few dozens of times since. Even back then it was not supposed to prove anything, it basically was an ad to my oppressor guide (now heavily outdated, again).
  • frontenstuermerfrontenstuermer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would say, there are not many skilled, good armored CWs....
    I play a GF and get against a really good CW from my opinion.

I am not weak with a GS of 18.7k and i can hit and kill good but this one was skilled to strong CC
    , Defense and i think i was skilled to use his abilities as fast as possible and he was moving very often.

So good played CWs are really hard to kill because they hold the distance.

Many CWs dont play good.

I only had the contact with 3 really good CWs in the time i played pvp..
    Thats not much.

I play a CW its not the best skilled for PvP but i can tell you the hardest are GWF.
    TR mostly hard if they can be unvisible but for this are tactics ;)

A GF doesnt block all, if hhis blockenergy is empty he gets full damage or -30% reduced if skilled.
    This is the moment where he blocks nothing, ccs get through
    edited February 2014
    Don't nerf me bro!

astronax wrote: »
    Well, myself, as a big WoW fan and a former gladiator, i can't help but imagine a thread somewhere on arenajunkies, claiming something like that: "FROST MAGES OP, NERF!!1 (im playing at 1400)". You do realize the absurdiness, don't you? ;)

Lol ;) That vid is old as hills and proves nothing - balance changed few dozens of times since. Even back then it was not supposed to prove anything, it basically was an ad to my oppressor guide (now heavily outdated, again).

edited February 2014
    The fact remains you need to play out of your mind to have a chance against lower geared players, while they can face roll and be competitive!

I would say, there are not many skilled, good armored CWs....
    I play a GF and get against a really good CW from my opinion.

I am not weak with a GS of 18.7k and i can hit and kill good but this one was skilled to strong CC
    , Defense and i think i was skilled to use his abilities as fast as possible and he was moving very often.

So good played CWs are really hard to kill because they hold the distance.

Many CWs dont play good.

I only had the contact with 3 really good CWs in the time i played pvp..
    Thats not much.

I play a CW its not the best skilled for PvP but i can tell you the hardest are GWF.
    TR mostly hard if they can be unvisible but for this are tactics ;)

A GF doesnt block all, if hhis blockenergy is empty he gets full damage or -30% reduced if skilled.
    This is the moment where he blocks nothing, ccs get through

• pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The fact remains you need to play out of your mind to have a chance against lower geared players, while they can face roll and be competitive!

You only need to learn your class, instead of making ridiculous forum complaints...

... about the MOST underpowered PvP class.

Do you even know how badly this looks for you, claiming CWs faceroll, when we actually have the toughest time ever in PvP?

What's next? CWs complaining in the Temple that DCs are OP?
  • notalentspaznotalentspaz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ah Pers3, you know CWs are the most OP class. Those pesky GWFs & TRs (ultimate anti CW class) don't stand a chance against them. Just ask the level 50 GF.
  • notalentspaznotalentspaz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    P.S. to the OP, get to level 51 (preferably level 55) before you start into the forums stating how CWs are op in PVP. Then we would know you are joking.
    edited February 2014
    Ah Pers3, you know CWs are the most OP class. Those pesky GWFs & TRs (ultimate anti CW class) don't stand a chance against them. Just ask the level 50 GF.

No worries, he complained about GWFs as well :P

You know how these things go:

- your class is ALWAYS underpowered (even if it sometimes goes 30-1 in a game, that's because the others are n00bs) - this is a real situation, a very geared GWF complained to me how HR is amazingly OP after he ended up 30-1 in premade and destroyed the rank10 HR each time, probably the one death was because he fell asleep during some threatening rush spam
    - other classes are ALWAYS overpowered, even if they cannot hurt you a lot; yet the simple fact that they are able to pose a threat to you is... disturbing. So they are probably overpowered if they don't die in one rotation.

Typical MMO stuff.
  • jmikezjmikez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CW's are the easiest ones to kill for a GWF in pvp.
    1. Start chasing said CW
    2. Let CW tickle you with dots, and control till determination is full
    3. Click tab, and watch CW panic
    4. Watch CW teleport all over the place
    5. Click threatening rush
    6. prone combo
    7. dead. rinse repeat
    Jeanne -- 21.8k PvP CW
    Michael -- 21.1k PvP Sent GWF
    morePewPewlessQQ -- 20k Pvp/PvE HR
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I mean sure they can die if picked on with a TR / GWF but you combine them with a team with another CW your dead! There is no diminishing returns on the spells you are just killed in seconds.

I see everyone just Rolling CWS as the can do what everyone else can better!

Wait till the Tenacity patch hits , I am willing to bet you will post a thread with completely the opposite title .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Wait till the Tenacity patch hits , I am willing to bet you will post a thread with completely the opposite title .

Post-patch update: he hasn't changed his tune. Just had him on the opposing team in a PvP match, and the bad manners in zone were so awful that I had to look at his handle and recognized it from this thread. The problem seemed to be a combination of gear disparity, skill level, and spending too much time typing obscenities to actually play the game.

The funny thing after all the raging was that his team still won because mine was allergic to fighting on nodes and kept losing them. I guess I just wasn't supposed to kill that much and die that little as a decently-geared, experienced PvPer against less-stacked characters :P

Apologies for the borderline necro, but I thought it was too rich not to post considering iambecks1's comment.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• doggy009doggy009 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have been playing my CW in the 50-59 brackets in PUGs. Its very enjoyable and I have got over 20 battles to my name with highest kills a d lowest deaths (not always lowest) its pretty easy to do if u have tanks in your team so other team will ignore you which is very dangerous and fun lol
    Killy2
    SENT IV GWF - PVP
  • grw0lfgrw0lf Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    doggy009 wrote: »
    I have been playing my CW in the 50-59 brackets in PUGs. Its very enjoyable and I have got over 20 battles to my name with highest kills a d lowest deaths (not always lowest) its pretty easy to do if u have tanks in your team so other team will ignore you which is very dangerous and fun lol

A good team always chases the CW first and will ignore the tank. Have fun in lvl60 PvP!
    edited March 2014
    doggy009 wrote: »

Doggy.

After tenacity hit, I have 2 matches, one 36-0 or so and the other 44-1, not that I died actually, but a TR shocking execute me.

This has 2 causes:

- matchmaking failure putting me with newbies without even an armor enchant, and probably without Tenacity either
    - leaver penalty failure making people stay&play a game they didn't have any chance to win
    - me having GF/GWF team proning everything so I was able to do my job and DPS without many worries

These matches make one feel CWs are OP, yet it's a very false feeling, because pugs never count, and never counted, what counts is Premade vs Premade when teams are matched - and NOTHING else.

And in PMvsPM my CW is not that good any longer, when my team is not OP. Anything that makes the CW lose the support role will take CW out of the match. If you have issues with a certain CW, you gotta start playing matches for him, as in put a GWF or something to follow the CW everywhere.

Again:

- nothing really counts but PMvsPM. Pugs? Please. Nobody really cares.
    - CW OP only in pro, already superior team when able to play support
    - CW extremely weak in all other cases, especially in bad team or while chased by a dedicated CW "hunter" such as a HR/GWF/TR
    edited March 2014
    Been level 60 for some time, got up to 14430 GS Conq spec, CWs are still OP! I actually decided to make a CW I will be 60 soon...

So far I can kill 3-4 adds with one spell and hold the boss add until dead without being hit! Not Op at all!!!!!!

Did some PvP lol what a joke I went 18-3 without even trying killing 2 sometimes 3 people at a time... Hilarious, you guys playing coy.

P.S. to the OP, get to level 51 (preferably level 55) before you start into the forums stating how CWs are op in PVP. Then we would know you are joking.