test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The wanted Class problem - a different perspective and possible solution.

sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hey Folks,

Almost every game suffers from a Flavour of the month class problem. We can see that happening in Neverwinter. After a certain patch, class X is more desirable.Yet, after a subsequent patch, class X becomes useless and we should play class Y to stay competitive.

I have a proposal that will reduce this effect significantly. It has very little to do with nerfing class X, or buffing class Y.

Currently, Dungeon delves lasts 60 minutes, and Gauntlgrym(dungeon) lasts 30 minutes. The players are allowed to repeat these dungeons as many times as they can, based on speed. This rewards the people who min-max and rush through the dungeons.

It does not matter if your class makes the content easier and smoother to play. It matters little how well you tank, or how many buffs and heals you can bring to the table. If your class clears the content slower in a team, then it means you can only clear GG 2-3 times, while the team who min-maxes clears GG 5 times.

Therefore, the solution is obvious. If we reduce the incentive for speed, then other classes who brings a smoother game experience will be more competitive. Not only will the game will be less stressful to play, it will be more enjoyable and draw in a bigger casual crowd.

How do we reduce the incentive for speed? There must be a daily/weekly limit to the amount of times a character can enter GG or DD.
With this, we shift the focus of the game away from completion speed.

I'll love to hear your well-argued thoughts on this.
Post edited by sean99999 on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sean99999 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

Almost every game suffers from a Flavour of the month class problem. We can see that happening in Neverwinter. After a certain patch, class X is more desirable.Yet, after a subsequent patch, class X becomes useless and we should play class Y to stay competitive.

I have a proposal that will reduce this effect significantly. It has very little to do with nerfing class X, or buffing class Y.

Currently, Dungeon delves lasts 60 minutes, and Gauntlgrym(dungeon) lasts 30 minutes. The players are allowed to repeat these dungeons as many times as they can, based on speed. This rewards the people who min-max and rush through the dungeons.

It does not matter if your class makes the content easier and smoother to play. It matters little how well you tank, or how many buffs and heals you can bring to the table. If your class clears the content slower in a team, then it means you can only clear GG 2-3 times, while the team who min-maxes clears GG 5 times.

Therefore, the solution is obvious. If we reduce the incentive for speed, then other classes who brings a smoother game experience will be more competitive. Not only will the game will be less stressful to play, it will be more enjoyable and draw in a bigger casual crowd.

How do we reduce the incentive for speed? There must be a daily/weekly limit to the amount of times a character can enter GG or DD.

This number of times you can play something per week is why I don't play swtor. It's a horrible system where you have to pay money to be able to play in a f2p game. It's so limiting that instead of getting people to spend money it drives them from the game.
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeeeeeaaah.... no.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Tbh cws are more like flavour of the game, not of the month, because, as I read, they remain the most useful class since beta. The only major thing that happened through balance was swapping TRs with GWFs, everything else is moreover the same.

As for the idea itself I'd say - no. Limiting dungeons amount you can run per week is almost always a bad idea and for sure its a bad idea in this case. I'd say each class should have a role in a dungeon, without which the dungeon will be still possible to clear, but harder/slower.
  • Options
    starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    According to my guild, they will never do top-tier dungeons without 3 CWs in party because the game is add-heavy and crowd control is the best approach, especially when add are hitting for 30k
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wentris wrote: »
    As for the idea itself I'd say - no. Limiting dungeons amount you can run per week is almost always a bad idea...

...because they are almost the only thing to do in this game.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starcher wrote: »
    According to my guild, they will never do top-tier dungeons without 3 CWs in party because the game is add-heavy and crowd control is the best approach, especially when add are hitting for 30k

The problem doesn't lie with the class, but with the dungeon design. All epic dungeons and bosses are full of adds and trash mobs. Most classes have few if any AoE damage, and next to no AoE control, so, CWs are a must, or you just waste time.

Doing epics with or without a CW makes the difference between a 30 minute run or a hour and a half one, because adds.
  • Options
    nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lockouts wont work in this game. So many things would have to change. DD would have to go, which actually is something I've been advocating, but for a different reason. The timed events throughout the day are to boost numbers for the content, as in most lower population games. I would like to see DD replaced with a daily key that allows access to the chest, this way people that cant make dungeon delver hours can still get gear...since it's virtually pointless to run most of the dungeons outside of this hour. Something similar for GG might work also, and with both GG dungeons and access to the DD chest being something you can do at any time during the day, I can only see people playing longer, rather than trying to squeeze a bunch of runs in as fast as they can. This would certainly cut back on the straight speed focus, and certain classes wouldn't be required for that speed. Not sure how this would work with the games population, but I think it would be a vast improvement, if the population is there.

I've never liked the timed events throughout the day. It feels like developers prepare for defeat from the very beginning, and plan to never have a large population. Most of them are ok in this game, but restricting dungeons to a couple hours a day is....just....bad design. So bad. I think the games population will rise, players will enjoy it more, and play longer and likely be willing to spend more money if they aren't restricted to these horrible timeframes. Dungeons are a huge part of the game to be so restricted. Un-restrict!

Some may argue that they do run dungeons outside of DD, and occasionally get gear. But on my 2 60's so far, I have not gotten a single piece of usable gear for either toon from a boss drop. Sure I can sell the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> drops for a little bit of AD, but I think most would agree, it's more enjoyable when you down a boss and it drops something you're actually going to use! I certainly always enjoyed that more in other games.

Perhaps even leaving in DD and GG timeframes, but adding a daily key for each chest that could be used at any time during the day. Gauntlgrym might need some changes with that idea, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work without taking away the incentive to participate in GG.

Anyway what I'm saying is that it's the content being restricted to those few hours a day that causes speed to be the most important factor. Find a way to remove those restrictions and that will likely go away, to an extent.
  • Options
    zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    nap1985 wrote: »
    Lockouts wont work in this game. So many things would have to change. DD would have to go, which actually is something I've been advocating, but for a different reason. The timed events throughout the day are to boost numbers for the content, as in most lower population games. I would like to see DD replaced with a daily key that allows access to the chest, this way people that cant make dungeon delver hours can still get gear...since it's virtually pointless to run most of the dungeons outside of this hour. Something similar for GG might work also, and with both GG dungeons and access to the DD chest being something you can do at any time during the day, I can only see people playing longer, rather than trying to squeeze a bunch of runs in as fast as they can. This would certainly cut back on the straight speed focus, and certain classes wouldn't be required for that speed. Not sure how this would work with the games population, but I think it would be a vast improvement, if the population is there.

I've never liked the timed events throughout the day. It feels like developers prepare for defeat from the very beginning, and plan to never have a large population. Most of them are ok in this game, but restricting dungeons to a couple hours a day is....just....bad design. So bad. I think the games population will rise, players will enjoy it more, and play longer and likely be willing to spend more money if they aren't restricted to these horrible timeframes. Dungeons are a huge part of the game to be so restricted. Un-restrict!

Some may argue that they do run dungeons outside of DD, and occasionally get gear. But on my 2 60's so far, I have not gotten a single piece of usable gear for either toon from a boss drop. Sure I can sell the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> drops for a little bit of AD, but I think most would agree, it's more enjoyable when you down a boss and it drops something you're actually going to use! I certainly always enjoyed that more in other games.

Perhaps even leaving in DD and GG timeframes, but adding a daily key for each chest that could be used at any time during the day. Gauntlgrym might need some changes with that idea, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work without taking away the incentive to participate in GG.

Anyway what I'm saying is that it's the content being restricted to those few hours a day that causes speed to be the most important factor. Find a way to remove those restrictions and that will likely go away, to an extent.

I second this wholehearthedly. Give me a key, let me do the dungeon whenever I like. the DD hours shift continously, collide with RL and make you rush once you get in, create stress when looking for party in order to manage to get in.

It's a poor mechanic that encourages speed runs, farming and exploiting because of the time limit.
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have thought about how to solve the problem between classes without nerfs , I 'm convinced that the solution would you create fee for use of the same encounter the same class ( smoke bomb 2 different rogues do not work in the same opponent ) , and secondly next , creating cumulative encounters between different effects of different classes .

Currently I would like to go one step further by establishing a specific nature of interaction . We would have taken 3 classes as dps : gwf / rogue / ranger . And 3 class leader - cw / dc / gf . But how would this interaction ?

Let me as an example gwf and cw . During the singularity , the gwf receives a bonus of 10 % damage to the use of encounters. On the other hand, cw receives a compatible percentage of action Points to gwf generated in this time (included IBS ) . If the thing is too " powerful " or undemocratic , this interaction would be repeated among all classes in the sense that each leader would have a daily that grant extra damage in exchange for extra ap for dps . There seems to me something that requires great meditation on balancing classes .

Dungeons:

Ok , but I'm a ranger 2983476928k and have done everything . Well , the idea I have, and it would be good to move the game economy , would create "impossible dungeons ." What's this ? By completing particular collection , you would open the corresponding an existing dungeon , but a VERY difficult level . Archers with perfect vorpal , melees with regen builds, etc. . would be fun for the whole family
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited February 2014

So what happens when you have used your quota up and you aren't the kind of person who likes to play with lots of alts? just stand about and do nothing till next week , yeah oooooookayyyy but no thanks.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, to be honest, this game already has some form of lockouts, specially for the campaign dailies, you can't just storm the new content and have it ready in one day.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wentris wrote: »
    Tbh cws are more like flavour of the game, not of the month, because, as I read, they remain the most useful class since beta. The only major thing that happened through balance was swapping TRs with GWFs, everything else is moreover the same.

Not quite true. While in PvE CWs are by far the most useful and in demand class in PvP the most powerful class combination seems to vary almost every other major patch.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Well, to be honest, this game already has some form of lockouts, specially for the campaign dailies, you can't just storm the new content and have it ready in one day.

What about a system where the first X runs a week gives you access to better bonuses.
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Give to the GF the ability to gather mobs like a CW using AS and then he will be very useful in every dungeon, something like a forced aggro in a very big area that makes adds rush to him immediately, would be a daily ofc and problem solved for that class, now a DC, lately he's not needed for the heals but more debuff instead, give him a daily that apply a strong debuff in a big area (divine glow area is so small but good enough for an encounter), this will make him useful in pve and pvp.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the fix could be far easier then that, make the drop rate % higher for a diversified group of all different classes, Tank, Healer, DPS, Dps, Dps, or off tank. Make these groups that utilize all the classes have a higher drop rate % for NOT min/maxing speed running. I bet within a day you'd have tanks back in groups and HRs, Trs, etc!

So any group that has all different classes gets lets say 10% higher drop rate!
    Hey Folks,

Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A weekly timer seems to be a good solution for new content. Balancing CWs will have to happen at some point too, because that's the FOTM class. They can stack insane amounts of debuffs (high vizier + all the thaumaturge ones + smolder + whatever weapon enchantment for debuffs) while doing massive aoe damage, mostly from shard and sudden storm. I know it, I have a 15k one. Both solutions would work and aren't exclusive at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    A weekly timer seems to be a good solution for new content. Balancing CWs will have to happen at some point too, because that's the FOTM class. They can stack insane amounts of debuffs (high vizier + all the thaumaturge ones + smolder + whatever weapon enchantment for debuffs) while doing massive aoe damage, mostly from shard and sudden storm. I know it, I have a 15k one. Both solutions would work and aren't exclusive at all.

People have been saying that CWs will be balanced compared to other classes in PvE since Open Beta and they are still, just as they have always been, by far the most in demand class for endgame dungeons.

I think a diversified class composition bonus would be a simpler, not to mention much faster way, of making non-FOTG classes in demand for endgame dungeons. Right now three classes - GF, TR and HR are pretty much pariahs, and even the DC and GWF aren't essential.
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are many solutions, but none will be implemented. I still amazed that the queue system still insists on a DC and GF and not CW's

I'd like to see different mechanics in the game. Such as less mobs of mindless trash and such. Instead have enemies with different mechanics. Have some that go through phases, immune to control for a time, immune to physical damage for a time, immune to arcane/chill/fire/cold-based/ attacks for a bit, or something. This could aid in making dungeons need a diverse party.

I agree with getting rid of the DD event altogether. Just have the bosses drops items and the chest available at the end without the need for a 'special' time frame for all of this to occur.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    nerf cw damage
    unnerf cw ap gain
    buff cw CC
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    No, thank you. I, for one, do not like limitations to do content. No, not one bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    No, thank you. I, for one, do not like limitations to do content. No, not one bit.

Well guess what? I find the current system very limiting and it's probable this is opinion of many people. I'm all for removing the time component from the event, it would allow to:

- run the dungeon at any time, making it possible to actually run it more
    - remove all that rushing bollocks which increase exploiting and force certain pary compositions, decreasing the fun for everybody but a chose few

People won't be able to farm content as much? Oh well, how terrible, I almost feel for them. Almost.
  • Options
    eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    ya thats one of the reason people exploit dungeons, because they only have 1 hour for the very very very very small chance to get their wanted items.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    For example one solution would be to give a dungeon chest key a day + keep the DD hour on the weekends. This way if somebody wants to do speed runs he still can but in the meantime the "normal" people can run up to 7 dungeons a week anytime they want.
    That actually would get me into the dungeons more as I could choose when to do the runs. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eton3000 wrote: »
    ya thats one of the reason people exploit dungeons, because they only have 1 hour for the very very very very small chance to get their wanted items.

In every MMO I played people always were searching for easy ways to complete repetitive content. Nothing special in NW, it's just a lot more simple due to enormous amount of bugs.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    people still saying that "lots of bugs" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... no, the game has not a lot of bugs, almost none now in fact, there are a couple of small content skip in CN (skips that a skilled party would do in 5 minutes tops anyway) and people who like to run to first campfire in ToS (stupid cuz is probably 2-3 minutes of killing easy mobs) but that's it, and its amazing a game with less of a year what was at the begining so buggy (all of them are now, games have grown exponentially in complexity and that makes bugs more common) is now almost decent in terms of development.

Btw i said what was the solution to DD event almost a year ago, when i really said it was a stupid and limiting idea for the future of the game, just increase the % of the set drops (make it drop a set piece 20% of the time, so people will need an avg of 30ish runs to get his piece, and the AH would increase enough to reduce prices but not enough to be flooded) give players a daily delve key to increase that chance further, and make every dungeon drop at 1% (like artifacts in MC/VT) unique rewards relative to that dung, like a Red Wyrmling mount in Karrundax or a winter wolf in FH that is significantly better companion than the regular purples.

PEople will run dungeons all day long.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IMO the solution lies in fixing the dungeons to make all classes viable by reducing the volume of trash and either adding mini-bosses or buffing some of the existing elites. These would be resistant in some way to AOE damage - probably have to have each power coded to count in order to avoid minor AOEs like Duelist Flurry - and thus require single target damage. Give them a lot of HP and more powerful and faster attacks so that a tank is useful. Once that's done, rebalance the CW as needed, increase a GF's ability to soak up damage and a TR's ability to deal it. Clerics are still viable in all levels of play, although more as debuffers later on. More diminishing returns on Regen and Life steal could be implemented to keep them needed, if desired. Put it on the Preview server first and encourage players of all GS and skill levels to participate in testing it.

I also advocate eliminating the DD event, having the chest unlock at all times but check to make sure that all chest drops are BOP and all boss drops are BOE. Currently there are boss drops (HP boots, various junk purples) that are BOP and a great number of the ring neck and waist pieces are coded as either BOE or BOP regardless if they come from the chest or the boss.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    lutz086lutz086 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    vote pitshade for DEV!!! couldnt have said it better myself the key to the problem is retweeking the dungeons.
    less trash more control resistant mobs add a life-steal and regen nerf and your starting to be in business!!
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree with your suggestion to an extent but I don't agree with your reasoning behind the suggestion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with desirable classes and builds (or flavor of the month classes and builds), but I do feel there's something wrong when they're created by developer patches (aka Cryptic's idea of flavor of the month classes and builds). In an ideal game the players control the flow of the flavor of the month and the developers take a backseat (where those dirty coders belong... I code so I can make that joke :3) and apply a light touch where needed when one build or class remains the flavor for too long.

For example, Build A is broken and overpowered. There is literally nothing any other build can do that can't be done better than build A. So the developers apply a light buff to monsters making them more resistant to some of build A's effects or a light nerf to Build A to make it less powerful. From that, Build B is created and becomes the new flavor. Then someone gets the bright idea for Build C. -insert continuous chain here with light nerfs and buffs strategically applied-.

Now for your suggestion directly now that I've cleared up the problems I have with your reasoning behind it (and the ocd I'm currently not taking meds for). I like the basic desire behind your suggestion, making things more fair for people who actually want to enjoy the dungeon and take their time with it or for people who have a build that is designed to outlast and tank rather than dart through. I just don't like how you suggest going about it. A weekly or daily limit isn't going to make people happy or keep GG active, in fact it'll probably kill GG and DD to an extent because once everyone's hit their cap they can't play again.

What I'd suggest instead is something along these lines:

For Dungeon Delver-
    When DD is active, players can talk to an NPC to get 2 dungeon delver keys added to their inventory. They can do this only once per event (and only during the event) but can use the keys outside of the event as well. In other words all the event will do is give players an hour to go see the NPC and get the keys, then they can either stock up on them and run DD all at once or use them immediately. This removes the time aspect of DD and doesn't set a "direct" limitation on players. Sometimes an indirect limit is far better than a direct one.

For Gauntylgrim-
    When a player completes both aspects of GG his scores are added up and he's awarded a certain number of "Crypt Keys" based on performance in PvP or PvE (or "Dwarven Crypt Key" if his team won which allows access to either dungeon). Again, like DD, you can complete the dungeon whenever you like as long as you have the keys for it. This both makes it so that your aren't restricted by time but you also can't sit there afk after turning in one log or you won't get half the real reward.

Both of these indirect limits on participation actually give players more freedom than the current system :D
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Make the keys work like the keys for Sharandar.

Every day you can pick up one Dungeon Chest Key for free. You can buy more if you want.

During the Dungeon Delve event, the chest can be opened without any keys, and runs as normal.

If people want to keep speed running DDs, they can. If people want to run a dungeon or two when they have time each day, they can. If they want to buy more keys to run it some more one night, they can.

But don't confuse the issue of elitists not bring certain classes, with people being able to run dungeon delves. It's two separate issues.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tornnomar wrote: »
    There are many solutions, but none will be implemented. I still amazed that the queue system still insists on a DC and GF and not CW's

I'd like to see different mechanics in the game. Such as less mobs of mindless trash and such. Instead have enemies with different mechanics. Have some that go through phases, immune to control for a time, immune to physical damage for a time, immune to arcane/chill/fire/cold-based/ attacks for a bit, or something. This could aid in making dungeons need a diverse party.

I agree with getting rid of the DD event altogether. Just have the bosses drops items and the chest available at the end without the need for a 'special' time frame for all of this to occur.

I concur.. did lair yesterday with no CWs. what a pita without one, most of these dungeons just have too many adds, they should buff up bosses by double and remove adds by half at least if not more on most of these fights, this would start balancing out the game without doing much of anything else to the classes.

I too have real life issues such as work/family and other responsibilities I limit my play time to around a hour a day, I can usually do a DD delve 2-3 times a week, in other games not much of a issue, just find people in your time zones who you can run with, here its a major issue as I may not be on during a DD hour and If im pugging it, who knows if its going to get completed.

Also.. add a screen shot showing mitigated damage and buffed damage by individual, doesn't matter if your running plaguefire with high prophet and all your other buffs ect, since groups dont have a clue what your doing behind the scene. At least you can start the argument that X # of damage was provided because of my class, so they could see value besides just stacking another CW.