test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why do I hate hunter rangers in PVP?

Comments

• malevolent215malevolent215 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like you just built a bad ranger and want to claim others don't understand the class when you yourself have shown you don't with this gem "HRs are even squishier then CWs without our buffs, and those buffs take away DPS when slotted." How does having Fox's and Boar's (aka your two hardest hitting melee encounters) lower your dps by having them slotted? Have you not noticed that ranged encounter powers do pitiful damage compared to the at-wills? Sounds like you're a recent convert form the typical Legolas/Drizzt rootspamming MEing build. It takes at least 3 or 4 people to kill my ranger (and I have terrible gear) and that's only if I get chain CCed otherwise I just make a getaway.

First off, don't make assumptions about how I play based on the skills I mentioned. Never did I say myself specifically has a hard time competing in PvP, I'm just sick of people crying about HRs not being good. You mentioned Fox and Boar, I also mentioned both of those. Fox is amazing on both sides as it is always in my bar. Boar is situational based on my opponents, but you really believe that defensive buff is that fantastic? How much mitigation does unstoppable and uncatchable add compared to boar? I love my HR and have no problems being successful in PvP with her. I thought my post was clearly discussion how too many people complain about HRs without learning the class themselves. When did I ever cry that the class was bad in its current state? Hmmm... easily top DPS in Dungeons... and can either root-lock or glass cannon in PvP? The HR is competitive as of right now compared to other classes. As I mentioned in my second post, that will soon change when it comes to HR vs GWF cause apparently we are not allowed to beat a GWF 1on1 using roots.

Just for reference... I use Fox, ME, and either Boar or Constricting. As a hybrid I dominate any low AC class 1on1, but our ME and Buffs don't even begin to compare to what unstoppable and rush does for a GWF.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I actually like rangers in pvp provided they are good and are on my team. Hitting a rooted enemy with front line surge>threatening rush>IBS is good for some lols. Rangers not on my team who are good I don't like at all :P But that is tongue in cheek, really.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • darkfuriusdarkfurius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    . As I mentioned in my second post, that will soon change when it comes to HR vs GWF cause apparently we are not allowed to beat a GWF 1on1 using roots.

What? I always use root to beat GWF, to be honest in all of the melee classes.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    root spam split rooting spam split aimed shot (for god knows why) , spam split shot ,,, rapid shot spam,, root root root root, here comes their team root root oh Gee Im a sitting duck root more cause ITC cant break rooting, Thats my personal reason for hating HRs lol
  • malevolent215malevolent215 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    root spam split rooting spam split aimed shot (for god knows why) , spam split shot ,,, rapid shot spam,, root root root root, here comes their team root root oh Gee Im a sitting duck root more cause ITC cant break rooting, Thats my personal reason for hating HRs lol

That is understandable and can be considered cheap. Please take the time to consider though, those roots are our counters to melee. We have no Lift, or perma-stealth, or uncatchable, or unstoppable, or sprint, or shield to create and close distance. We have roots to keep distance, a barely useful dodge, and two broken escapes (one's a daily). So if we have no roots... then we are just sitting ducks waiting to die to rogues, gwfs, and gfs.

Once again... before someone says "your just bad, so you need roots". I personally do not use any roots outside Constricting arrow in PvP, but I know plenty of HRs that do... My build excels against other squishies and competes with melee. On the otherhand, Ranged roots setups excel against Melee, but struggle against CWs and my type of Hybrid HRs.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    /rant
    Roots have wet noodle damage. You cannot kill anyone with them, ever. Unlike most CCs you can continue to attack, use powers, take a pot, fire off raven etc. Roots is simply annoying. GWFs hate that they cannot simply roflpwn anything they want when rooted. That's why there is all that nerf whining. i take it back, I do get kills with roots. sometimes I can make the other guy so mad that he does something monstrously stupid and then I kill him. That is the roots mechanic. First you get the root, then you make the stupid, then you kill the stupid.
    /end rant.
    edited February 2014
    That is understandable and can be considered cheap. Please take the time to consider though, those roots are our counters to melee. We have no Lift, or perma-stealth, or uncatchable, or unstoppable, or sprint, or shield to create and close distance. We have roots to keep distance, a barely useful dodge, and two broken escapes (one's a daily). So if we have no roots... then we are just sitting ducks waiting to die to rogues, gwfs, and gfs.

Once again... before someone says "your just bad, so you need roots". I personally do not use any roots outside Constricting arrow in PvP, but I know plenty of HRs that do... My build excels against other squishies and competes with melee. On the otherhand, Ranged roots setups excel against Melee, but struggle against CWs and my type of Hybrid HRs.

Ok, heres the deal, I have seen quite talented Hrs ,, but most resort to rooting just to make sure you cant run from thier team , then they get that last quick shot in ,, their team of course all but killing you off ,, the just shoot once and takes that last bit of hp ,, then they act like they are the ****. this has happened to my way FAR too often ,, and I mean way too much ,,, especailly when they having 2 and sometime 3 CWs wailing on you ,,, you cant do <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but go stealth and with that much damage coming in you arent staying in stealth long. people think Im a jerk because I generally get red faced mad about it and go off in zone chat but if they were on the recieving end of the deal , it would be an entirely different story.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sepuz wrote: »
    Hah yea, i was just gonna point that out too :) Noticed it too.

On the topic though, HR Constricting Arrow is becoming control, which will enable people to break its effects. It will still remain a useful ability against some classes but atm it is broken and most likely is the main reason people hate HRs in PvP.

As a GWF i can understand the frustration of HRs chain rooting without the ability to counter that.

Half joke, half serious -- sorry, but GWFs don't really get to complain about anything.

HRs dish out broken powers. GWFs are broken at the class level.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited February 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Half joke, half serious -- sorry, but GWFs don't really get to complain about anything.

HRs dish out broken powers. GWFs are broken at the class level.
    Personally I use roots specifically to make GWFs cry. Oh? I made your unstoppable killing machine all angry? Can't tell you how much that hurts. Delicious tasty tasty tears......
    edited February 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Personally I use roots specifically to make GWFs cry. Oh? I made your unstoppable killing machine all angry? Can't tell you how much that hurts. Delicious tasty tasty tears......

so basically what your saying is you use a bug in your favor to make other people angry. that is called exploiting and in a moderated environment ,, say a tournament you would be thrown out for exploiting. I don't play a GWF, but hearing that is just absolute BS,
    Grant the GWF is also way too overpowered right now and it too should be fixed, just like any OP class, however exploiting bugs should be a offense to be banned over. just my opinion, won't happen of course but just my opinion.

The reason your roots are so effective is its immune to cc immunity from a bug the Devs have acknowledged. you pretty much point out why roots should be fixed ,, is because of that attitude , right there.
  • eljuarezeljuarez Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    so basically what your saying is you use a bug in your favor to make other people angry. that is called exploiting and in a moderated environment ,, say a tournament you would be thrown out for exploiting. I don't play a GWF, but hearing that is just absolute BS,
    Grant the GWF is also way too overpowered right now and it too should be fixed, just like any OP class, however exploiting bugs should be a offense to be banned over. just my opinion, won't happen of course but just my opinion.

The reason your roots are so effective is its immune to cc immunity from a bug the Devs have acknowledged. you pretty much point out why roots should be fixed ,, is because of that attitude , right there.

With the new PvP updates comming up (I'm referring to the implementation of the tenacity stat) it seems that PvP will change from the use of CC entirely which while making the game more enjoyable for some players will make PvP less so for classes like the Control Wizard. The CW can do two things well and that is CC and AoE. I can imagine that PvP matches in the future will be more tailored toward lay styles that don't use CC at all. GWF's will probably be the only viable class to play in PvP when tenacity is implemented because of all the classes their CC isn't a deal breaker for their defense.

But reguardless of this I'm sure that there will still be plenty of skilled CW's that will accept the handi-cap of playing a class who's main premis (CC) may be at times useless (just like hitting bosses with CC lol).
    I'm sure the devs have thought about all of this though and CC immunity will come at a price.
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dodgo wrote: »
    Because they refuse to stand on the **** cap :P

Do you see your nose ? Try again maybe you will success.

HR refuse to stand on the cap because they are made by the same Developers that make the stupid thing that the player must fight on the cap ... Range class on the cap ?
    As Archer style HR I have maximum DMG and SURVIVABILITY when I am on maximum range from the target. If the target is on cap - could I be on the cap too ? The simple answer is - no. The problem is not in the HR but in Developers that make this both thing to cannot be done at same time.
    So now you can be angry but not on us (HR) but on someone other.

/offtopic
    HR roots cannot kill the target they can only to make the target angry. Just remove them from the bar and all will be ok. I remove them and now all are happy, me coz I kill the target and target is happy coz is not root but death (rofl)
    edited February 2014

Really. Do you think that GWFs exploiting one feat that delivers 40% of their damage should be banned? Because that to me is a bug and excessive. Step away from your emotions and take a look at CCs. Name one that is less effective than roots even with the bug. When a wizard chokes you or either of the fighters knock you down you cannot do anything. When you get rooted you move less. What other CC can you say that for? Oh wait! Crippling shot. The other ranged CC HRs get.....
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think senti GWF is a bug, so are they exploiting the bug?

Don't blame the players for doing something that needs fixing by the devs
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • dante123pldante123pl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Really. Do you think that GWFs exploiting one feat that delivers 40% of their damage should be banned? Because that to me is a bug and excessive. Step away from your emotions and take a look at CCs. Name one that is less effective than roots even with the bug. When a wizard chokes you or either of the fighters knock you down you cannot do anything. When you get rooted you move less. What other CC can you say that for? Oh wait! Crippling shot. The other ranged CC HRs get.....

what feat gives 40% dmg tell me nao i want it!!!!
    edited February 2014
    DG if you stock for it properly, don't read the tool tip, parse it. The fact that you can get it with full senti makes it double broken.
    edited February 2014

move less? lets try not at all, In fact the strongest root has literally rubber banded me back into spot. no matter how far forward you can get from that spot ,,,,, and a rogue anchored in one spot ,,, come on that's a opposite teams dream right there ,,,, and trust me they bounce on you like leeches in a pond.

GWFs have it made though, lots of defense and can break anything but roots. but I wonder if their run could still get them out of the way enough. as far as the 40% damage thing, not exactly sure what you are talking about. but i know they do exploit rush spamming like MAD.

Now as for the ban thing, like i said its my opinion which we all are entitled to. however it is highly unrealistic for me to believe it would ever happen.

But here's my point if its a known, and I mean a known bug and people still use it. is that not exploiting the situation? sure the devs should fix it but the players shouldn't be abusing it either. if it were my game allot of people would find themselves scared to exploit anything. but it is not, so we don't have a thing to worry about do we? far too many players do this stuff to make it a ban able offense. half the pvp population would be banned lol, so not like I expect these things to actually happen.
    edited February 2014
    Again trick while rooted you can attack, use powers, launch raven, use a pot basically anything but move much. If you are that hard-rooted it means that they applied 3 encounters on you. What happens when a TR, GF or GWF hits you with three encounters? I've been on the receiving end of both and it is not fun. And even as you pointed out the roots did not get you the party got you.
    edited February 2014
    Again trick while rooted you can attack, use powers, launch raven, use a pot basically anything but move much. If you are that hard-rooted it means that they applied 3 encounters on you. What happens when a TR, GF or GWF hits you with three encounters? I've been on the receiving end of both and it is not fun. And even as you pointed out the roots did not get you the party got you.

Ok I get that you don't want the Attack on you without defense, i get that ,, but If you have seen half the matches where Hrs are opposing here is what goes down, we run to the center node they do their kiting thing ,,, throw out typical node holding stuff then when ok here is what happens 9 times out of 10, I am not even looking at that HR, not even a thought ,, its either the DC or maybe distracting the GWF or goin after a CW, I swear on my life, the second I'm out of stealth, I'm aimed at and rooted, it happens almost every time an HR is around. if a **** Hr doesn't want to be a target, why aim at the rogue fighting someone else? typically that's when I get angry if i die, I'm going directly after that HR the next time and ah be damned if I'm giving them the opportunity to root me again so they become my target rest of the match.

The point is that they purposely root you for the very reason to get you worn down by the opponent and then they steal the kill. Seen it happen in pugs. so defend the matter all you want to , but when they do bs like that. I have absolutely no respect or any sympathy for an HR who's that content on being a jerk!

also i forgot to mention i can have half my team there ,,, maybe all of the ,, still I am the one getting rooted. you tell me if you would not hate a ******* class that seems to target you more than any other person in their team.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At starting gear levels, Archer spec HRs and most CWs who stand on a contested cap die fast. How is that contributing anything? Sure, if you have uber gear and all your boons etc. then you can have a non-squishy version of either class that can survive long enough to make a difference, but otherwise not.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Ok I get that you don't want the Attack on you without defense, i get that ,, but If you have seen half the matches where Hrs are opposing here is what goes down, we run to the center node they do their kiting thing ,,, throw out typical node holding stuff then when ok here is what happens 9 times out of 10, I am not even looking at that HR, not even a thought ,, its either the DC or maybe distracting the GWF or goin after a CW, I swear on my life, the second I'm out of stealth, I'm aimed at and rooted, it happens almost every time an HR is around. if a **** Hr doesn't want to be a target, why aim at the rogue fighting someone else? typically that's when I get angry if i die, I'm going directly after that HR the next time and ah be damned if I'm giving them the opportunity to root me again so they become my target rest of the match.

The point is that they purposely root you for the very reason to get you worn down by the opponent and then they steal the kill. Seen it happen in pugs. so defend the matter all you want to , but when they do bs like that. I have absolutely no respect or any sympathy for an HR who's that content on being a jerk!

also i forgot to mention i can have half my team there ,,, maybe all of the ,, still I am the one getting rooted. you tell me if you would not hate a ******* class that seems to target you more than any other person in their team.

Really?! Cuz I can totally say the same for tr's as well. I can't count how many times I'd do pvp, and 9 times out of 10, this is what I see from a rogue... Watches me fight someone, then comes in for the kill steal. Trickster rogues were such bs ks'ers long before the ranger came out. They stealth to run away when they're in trouble, ks people when they're in a hard battle with someone, and only seem to attack when you're back is turned! So now when you(a tr) leaves stealth, hr's have to leave you alone?! You're dang right I'd expect them to get rooted, to keep you chickens from re-stealthing and running away. I have no respect for people who's purpose is to hide from battle. At least I can deal with less running away when I'm after a ranger... ME and Forest Ghost don't last nearly as long as perma-stealth.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

You're a trickster so you deserve to be rooted and blasted into oblivion immediately when seen. I see no probs here, tricksters are very annoying and they are usually my preferred target whatever class I play. Every single one of my friends hates tricksters in PVP, even the one who plays a trickster himself. Deal with it.
    edited February 2014
    Trickster: Speaking for myself I am not targeting the TR specifically. I'm targeting situationaly. Naturally if I see an opportunity to hit the perma when he unstealths I am going to do it. But I am equally likely to cripple or bind the fighter that is pummeling my teammate. If I am not dropping AOE on the scrum at 2.
    Twilight: See above. Hr is a lousy choice for holding a cap, this is true. The GF or GWF is going to do a better job of it. I Know some DCs that can hold a cap pretty well too. This is a team sport. As a ranged class the HR can do a lot to affect the outcomes of the fight. Add some DPs when one of your guys is losing. Take down the guy who runs so your team does not have to leave the cap. And yes make people like trickster so angry they chase you for the match rather than helping their own team.....
    edited February 2014
    Twilight: See above. Hr is a lousy choice for holding a cap, this is true. The GF or GWF is going to do a better job of it. I Know some DCs that can hold a cap pretty well too. This is a team sport. As a ranged class the HR can do a lot to affect the outcomes of the fight. Add some DPs when one of your guys is losing. Take down the guy who runs so your team does not have to leave the cap. And yes make people like trickster so angry they chase you for the match rather than helping their own team.....
    Oh I know. I have an HR Archer and I spend most of my time supporting team members in just the way you suggest. My 'main' is a lowbie-geared CW and plays in a similar style but with more DPS. My point was that people who fixate on players standing on cap are missing the point. Yesterday my CW and an HR took abuse from a team member for not 'standing on cap' when he obviously hadn't noticed me assisting him or back-capping the enemy point a few times.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2014
    Ah sorry man did not get that from your post. And you are quite correct on back-capping. On of the things about being outside the scrum is I can see when we have won and leave for the next cap earlier. I likely get less kills than I could but I make up for it on caps and assists...
    edited February 2014
    You're a trickster so you deserve to be rooted and blasted into oblivion immediately when seen. I see no probs here, tricksters are very annoying and they are usually my preferred target whatever class I play. Every single one of my friends hates tricksters in PVP, even the one who plays a trickster himself. Deal with it.

LOL, funny, well perhaps I'm not the usual rogue who goes after the kill steal. I have seen some rogues do that and i equally dislike them for such nonsense,

but saying because of my class i deserve it? fine here lets lay it all on the table shall we?...............

First off... HR's dont even get that they have an advantage over other classes and don't take advantage of it
    because they too busy being babied by their roots to be competitive truly in pvp.

I saw a **** good HR in pvp just last night, didnt pull roots with me he fought me straight up ,,, and kicked my ***. you know how he kicked my ***? he figured out the advantages of having a Rogue with ranged skills. and he learned by skill how to use that HR, I have respect for someone who doesn't turn to their Exploited bug for protection.

Where as some *******, not naming specific names here.... will come along and take the easiest way out possible because They got in their head to be a lazy **** and not truly learn the potential of that Class.

The HR is A HYbrid class, learn to be a **** hybrid ,, not a *OH lets stand off the node cause the big bad GWF will come and get me and i need to root him and that rogue* routine most of the Hrs seem to be falling under.

Look at the skill potential, lets see HR has a heal possibly, HR has a prone feature and stun feature, almost worse than the TRs , HRs also have a stealth option, HRs can shoot from a long distance or up close and do decent damage if they tried, HRs have a Knock down feature ,, Hrs have a higher Armour pen. than a Rogue could possibly get with the right gear, HR's and on top of all this you have node holding capabilities if you really tried and learned how to build your toon right.

But NOPE you tend to folow the crowd like a pack of sheep and do what the *easy out* is. Blah blah blah you can argue needing rooting all **** day and i can show you Hrs that would have your *** for breakfast with out a root in the equasion, I have seen them. so hate my class all you want ,, but learn to play yours with skill ,, not a fall back laziness.

Heres the Straight up Fact your a **** Rogue with a Bow and arrow ,,, learn to be a rogue with a bow and arrow.
  • zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    LOL, funny, well perhaps I'm not the usual rogue who goes after the kill steal. I have seen some rogues do that and i equally dislike them for such nonsense,

but saying because of my class i deserve it? fine here lets lay it all on the table shall we?...............

First off... HR's dont even get that they have an advantage over other classes and don't take advantage of it
    because they too busy being babied by their roots to be competitive truly in pvp.

I saw a **** good HR in pvp just last night, didnt pull roots with me he fought me straight up ,,, and kicked my ***. you know how he kicked my ***? he figured out the advantages of having a Rogue with ranged skills. and he learned by skill how to use that HR, I have respect for someone who doesn't turn to their Exploited bug for protection.

Where as some *******, not naming specific names here.... will come along and take the easiest way out possible because They got in their head to be a lazy **** and not truly learn the potential of that Class.

The HR is A HYbrid class, learn to be a **** hybrid ,, not a *OH lets stand off the node cause the big bad GWF will come and get me and i need to root him and that rogue* routine most of the Hrs seem to be falling under.

Look at the skill potential, lets see HR has a heal possibly, HR has a prone feature and stun feature, almost worse than the TRs , HRs also have a stealth option, HRs can shoot from a long distance or up close and do decent damage if they tried, HRs have a Knock down feature ,, Hrs have a higher Armour pen. than a Rogue could possibly get with the right gear, HR's and on top of all this you have node holding capabilities if you really tried and learned how to build your toon right.

But NOPE you tend to folow the crowd like a pack of sheep and do what the *easy out* is. Blah blah blah you can argue needing rooting all **** day and i can show you Hrs that would have your *** for breakfast with out a root in the equasion, I have seen them. so hate my class all you want ,, but learn to play yours with skill ,, not a fall back laziness.

Heres the Straight up Fact your a **** Rogue with a Bow and arrow ,,, learn to be a rogue with a bow and arrow.

Lol, feel some rage mixed with envy here, maybe you should roll a HR?
    edited February 2014

Never actually rolled an HR, have you?
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2014
    2 actually ,, one is end game ,, i don't like it ..... but I've seen its potential.

Attemtp to build a HR like a rogue ,,, dex str, or Dex cha, i think it would play almost the same as a TR just not as stealth , with more deflect.

or hell even Int con, theres an interesting probably fail but interesting idea lol

the only sympathy i have towards the low budget Hrs and I can feel for them is their gear is too **** expensive and absolutely not on par with the other classes gear price wise, other then that. I stand by my words on them falling back on a bugged exploit.
    edited February 2014
    Should definitely roll a HR. And understand why your suggestions on how to play the class are wrong. What you ran into was likely a combat build HR. Which requires an entirely different build and feat set up. And is also near useless in PVE. Most of us do both PVP and PVE. I already change gear to PVP, I am not going to respec twice every time I do it (once to be combat and again for the delve). Although if I had a pure PVP toon a combat build would be a lot of fun....