test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why do I hate hunter rangers in PVP?

Comments

• williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    you know what,, I think it's wise to put the proof in the pudding, I will get back to this argument after i do one said HR build using methods I will experiment with to achieve what I think might prove my theories, then if i do prove them ,, and its battle tested and earned its so called respects. Ill post the build with an invite for you to say ,,, *I stand corrected* ,,, if i don't prove my theory right, and my experiments prove wrong, i will gladly come on here and say ,, i was wrong. till then ,, I suppose its a matter of proving grounds.

with that said, heres a challenge for you, build a stealth rogue, but only use lesser (be it vorp, bile whatever) like i do on my rogue. in fact do snows build its a fantastic build for the rogue ,, right here in the forums. and do nothing but rank 7 at highest in your slots, Rank 7 silvery in all your offence, and Radiants in your defense, nothing else, except movement speeds in utility slots, then call me a chicken **** partner, I'm far from a chicken **** and Ill 1v1 anyone any day, including GWfs, might get my *** kicked, but ah be damned if I will ever be one to be called chickens **** He who decides to shoot roots from a distance and only when 3 other people are on the opponent, I have found myself in bad sitations more times because I also run in purely PUGs, not one match since i hit 60 on the Int rogue have i ran in a guild or premade, so Im on my own and 9 times out of ten Im fighting 3 maybe 4 people, you start doing that and not die. then call me a chicken ****.

Its funny because youre once again claiming all hr's do the rooting when 3 other people are on the target, yet when I use my hr toon, and/or face opposing hr's, ive seen them 1v1 me, because I want a duel. ive seen plenty of tr's and hr's be annoying and ks, but ive seen it FAR more from tr's. youre trying to call hr's chickens, when ive seen tr's do that long before hr's even came out, and still today. ive used my hr plenty of times, and I don't use mine to run away... I use mr to melee rush the opponent, and me to dash back, and switch back when I prefer to range them(theyre called hunter RANGERS for a reason). the irony and hypocrisy in your statements, is that you want rangers to play a certain way, and complain about them being chickens... yet ive seen plenty of rangers not ks'ing, but standing their ground, or helping teammates. and you don't want to be called a chicken? a)not even talking to you, but rogues in general, b)its only fair to call someone trashing a class, while using a class that did it FIRST, chicken, c)ive been 3v1'ed plenty of times, no matter what class I used, and EVERY class has been involved in that 3v1 on me.

By the way, no matter what class im using, id always want to 1v1... but I know that's impossible in MULTI-person pvp. you don't like it, don't play pvp. As an hr, ive had to face tank at least 3 people, and try to survive. Ive had to do it many times in gg pvp... kind of pathetic how often I use a hr, and I get attacked by at least 3 luskans... but hr's are the chicken class? hah. its not the class, its the player. ive seen gwfs go unstoppable to RUN AWAY, ive seen tr's use permastealth/ITC to run away, ive seen cw's take full advantage of repel to run away... in fact, in all the time ive played, ive only seen 1 class not run away... and that's cuz gf's don't have a choice.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
    edited February 2014
    By the way, I liquidated her, but long before sharandar came out, I had a tr, built on the executioner path... she was fun to play, and I almost never used stealth btw. had her built for burst damage. deft strike in, throw a dazing strike and/or lashing blade, and pummel away with duelist's flurry. at most, would switch dazing strike for bait and switch. but guess what? never ran away... bout the only time I came into a fight w/ stealth, was to use deft strike from greater distance. used the t1 pvp set, and had rank 6's in offense/defense slots. I know tr's don't need to focus and only use stealth, because ive had good and bad games running that setup. As far as the pug issue, I also constantly(and still) run pugs, even though im in a guild... the enemy party tactics is what determines if youre getting 3v/4v1'ed. Ive seen parties that will gang up on the tr, because their permastealth running really annoys people. You can't be annoyed at what gets done to you, because im sure you've done the same to someone else. Don't tell me that your entire team would get harassed by an enemy hr or cw picking you off, or a gwf or gf who your team just could not kill, or a dc using his/her healing for cap defense/offense, and you wouldn't be in concert with your teammates in making sure he/she was obliterated.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • tbhdk2tbhdk2 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2014
    Well on easy solution would be to allow splitshot to be area targeted because its freking annoying when the person that has been autotargeted moves away from his group so you only hit him. Spamming the Whole enemy team with split shot is the reason why i stand far away, the other reason being knockback is to powerfull, once you hit - you down for good.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    goldheart wrote: »
    The main problem with HR is that HR have only 2 single viable skills: Split Shot and Rain of Arrow.
    For all other skills HR need to be hybrid because they do half dmg because oblivious reason of 6 encounters but not 3 as other classes. So if someone HR can think that he can do only range/close_range skills he will use only half from HR's potential.
    From other side most of HR's encounters are broken and/or do not work well. But yes the HR is playable class and can do not a little.
    You just need to find your combo/skills.

you sure you mean Rain of arrows? cause in pvp that skill is useless for a HR ,,, it's far to small of an area and no real effect on the person its aimed at ,,,,

williep30 wrote: »
    Its funny because youre once again claiming all hr's do the rooting when 3 other people are on the target, yet when I use my hr toon, and/or face opposing hr's, ive seen them 1v1 me, because I want a duel. ive seen plenty of tr's and hr's be annoying and ks, but ive seen it FAR more from tr's. youre trying to call hr's chickens, when ive seen tr's do that long before hr's even came out, and still today. ive used my hr plenty of times, and I don't use mine to run away... I use mr to melee rush the opponent, and me to dash back, and switch back when I prefer to range them(theyre called hunter RANGERS for a reason). the irony and hypocrisy in your statements, is that you want rangers to play a certain way, and complain about them being chickens... yet ive seen plenty of rangers not ks'ing, but standing their ground, or helping teammates. and you don't want to be called a chicken? a)not even talking to you, but rogues in general, b)its only fair to call someone trashing a class, while using a class that did it FIRST, chicken, c)ive been 3v1'ed plenty of times, no matter what class I used, and EVERY class has been involved in that 3v1 on me.

By the way, no matter what class im using, id always want to 1v1... but I know that's impossible in MULTI-person pvp. you don't like it, don't play pvp. As an hr, ive had to face tank at least 3 people, and try to survive. Ive had to do it many times in gg pvp... kind of pathetic how often I use a hr, and I get attacked by at least 3 luskans... but hr's are the chicken class? hah. its not the class, its the player. ive seen gwfs go unstoppable to RUN AWAY, ive seen tr's use permastealth/ITC to run away, ive seen cw's take full advantage of repel to run away... in fact, in all the time ive played, ive only seen 1 class not run away... and that's cuz gf's don't have a choice.

You missed my first post in this forum saying there are a few good HRs who know how to fight without rooting, Any of my posts in this particular thread are not aimed at ALL HRs only the jerks who do it in distaste. It does not bother me at all if its just you and me straight up. but , I'm tellin ya 9 times out of ten its about them rooting you just so the others can wear you down and they rapid shot for the KS. seen it happen even in pugs Ive ran with and ive seen arguements in party chat over it.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okey dokey...

I bit the bullet, dropped some Z for a respec, and built a true hybrid HR - roughly equal points in Archer and Combat with no capstone in either. And to my surprise he turns out to be a beast in Sharandar/DR and way more effective in PvP than my pure Archer build. You live and learn.

Oh - and trick will be pleased to hear I use no roots at all now. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    Oh? I'm only spamming 1 ability to win fights over and over again? That's funny, I thought I was using 8 different abilities to shred people apart in PvP. Also, if an enemy team has several GWF's on their side, I definitely abuse the hell out of grasping roots on their bandwagon asses. Then I laugh my *** off when they send me trash PM's complaining about it. Another thing, if you're a HR using Rain of Arrows in PvP you need to stop it. That ability is great in dungeons, but it is absolutely useless in PvP. I always love it when another HR tries to drop that on me in PvP, especially when they are standing up on a ledge, because then I know I'm about to get a free and easy kill.

P.S. I enjoy fighting right on top of the point just out of those snared, bandwagon, fairweather GWF's reach while blasting them in the face. It's like smacking a leashed dog with a stick, they get pissed as hell, but can't really do anything about it... At least until theur team comes and controls you, then you get your *** chewed off in 2 seconds.
  • jtatsc17jtatsc17 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I understand this is the "i hate HR thread", But I'm an HR and this is my first character currently level 54. I PVP very very often and always cap and target their HR/CW. Its gotten to the point I often get Incredible scores like 32/1 was my last match(with an excellent healer ;p). I think what Darkfurius said is very true. Most HRs never go in. They sit back and spam split spot all day and their constricting arrows...I prefer to aoe them for abit then go hard with Marauders rush right after a master of archery proc. Knowing it will crit and hit even harder with bloodthirsty, Fox encounter is a great finish and leads into an extremely easy hindering strike. Also, I dont see other HRs use Maruaders rush to escape. A dash is a dash people. Rushing at that CW in the back can be much better than pressing Q and running from the GWFs...Anyway thats my wall of text for the day.

TL DR: Most HR's play way to chicken <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and dont use the class to its fullest potential. Good HRs can AOE the whole team AND contribute if they would just use the class to its fullest.

Kaskaide
    edited February 2014
    you sure you mean Rain of arrows? cause in pvp that skill is useless for a HR ,,, it's far to small of an area and no real effect on the person its aimed at ,,,,

You missed my first post in this forum saying there are a few good HRs who know how to fight without rooting, Any of my posts in this particular thread are not aimed at ALL HRs only the jerks who do it in distaste. It does not bother me at all if its just you and me straight up. but , I'm tellin ya 9 times out of ten its about them rooting you just so the others can wear you down and they rapid shot for the KS. seen it happen even in pugs Ive ran with and ive seen arguements in party chat over it.

I read your original post, and your missing the point. The binding roots are part of their class mechanic, and to chastise them for using it is the same as yelling at a tr for using stealth. You're complaining about their class mechanic, when I've seen more annoyances from tr stealth than rooting. I have pugged with more than enough people in pvp to hear and see the same tactic from 9 out of 10 rogues.... Permastealth to run away, only knife someone in the back when they're fighting someone else. And if they don't take someone out first hit, they run away.

They both have hit and run tactics. Irony is, rogues have been doing it since beta. It's hypocrisy for a rogue to complain about something a new class has, when they've been doing more annoying things ALL THIS TIME !
  • johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    KS...? Oh, you mean kill SECURED. Honestly, what HR worth his salt secures kills with rapid shot? It does doodoo damage. I do my KSing (kill securing) with fox shift/split shot. Both of those abilities have much more burst than rapid shot and can be used instantly. Also, I'm a combat HR and I spend a lot of time standing right on top of the nodes fighting at range AND in melee. I can do this because I make good use of constricting arrow and kite like a ****ing boss. HR's are a controller/striker class. Stop *****ing about something that's working as intended.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    KS...? Oh, you mean kill SECURED. Honestly, what HR worth his salt secures kills with rapid shot? It does doodoo damage. I do my KSing (kill securing) with fox shift/split shot. Both of those abilities have much more burst than rapid shot and can be used instantly. Also, I'm a combat HR and I spend a lot of time standing right on top of the nodes fighting at range AND in melee. I can do this because I make good use of constricting arrow and kite like a ****ing boss. HR's are a controller/striker class. Stop *****ing about something that's working as intended.

working as intended LOL, alright its a KNOWN bug the Devs have acknoledged wasnt intended ,, grant roots work correctly, but it supposed to be breakable by using unstoppable/ITC, just like any control effect. when thats fixed itll be working correctly.

and i already said in PVE i have the entirely opposite opinion in fact i think PVE wise you guys need some sort of damage buffing. possible PVE shield too. I understand that HRs have a hard way to go in PVE ,, but looks at topic , it says PVP, my gripe is strictly pvp and the bug. when they fix it where my mechanic ,,Impossible to catch works as attended to any control effect, then no problem. till then argue your case all you want.

You don't look at both sides of the fence here. Rogues are by the games own mechanic a somewhat glass cannon class, a melee class who has a natural hard time building any Def aside from Con and stealth. when a rogue is anchored by a root ,, it becomes useless, you say i can still hit, but let that GWf with a Perfect plague fire and all rank 10s prone the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> outta me only thing i can do,, is sit there and take it,, can't break ITC doesn't think rooting is a control effect. so Im glued basically ,,,, unless i want to have to stop switch powers on the fly and use bait and switch on the farthest enemy i can and even then it will spring me right back in place.

now as a mechanic, yes its a mechanic and the above statement covers my problem with roots when it's fixed problem solved.
    edited February 2014
    working as intended LOL, alright its a KNOWN bug the Devs have acknoledged wasnt intended ,, grant roots work correctly, but it supposed to be breakable by using unstoppable/ITC, just like any control effect. when thats fixed itll be working correctly.

and i already said in PVE i have the entirely opposite opinion in fact i think PVE wise you guys need some sort of damage buffing. possible PVE shield too. I understand that HRs have a hard way to go in PVE ,, but looks at topic , it says PVP, my gripe is strictly pvp and the bug. when they fix it where my mechanic ,,Impossible to catch works as attended to any control effect, then no problem. till then argue your case all you want.

You don't look at both sides of the fence here. Rogues are by the games own mechanic a somewhat glass cannon class, a melee class who has a natural hard time building any Def aside from Con and stealth. when a rogue is anchored by a root ,, it becomes useless, you say i can still hit, but let that GWf with a Perfect plague fire and all rank 10s prone the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> outta me only thing i can do,, is sit there and take it,, can't break ITC doesn't think rooting is a control effect. so Im glued basically ,,,, unless i want to have to stop switch powers on the fly and use bait and switch on the farthest enemy i can and even then it will spring me right back in place.

now as a mechanic, yes its a mechanic and the above statement covers my problem with roots when it's fixed problem solved.

And you're also forgetting that rangers are considered glass cannons even more than rogues are. They are constructed with high burst damage and little defenses in return. A cw all by its lonesome can destroy an hr, as long as any cc is used. Or, in your situation there, they can be cc'ed, and a gwf/gf/tr can turn them into a chew toy. We have no abilities that make us immune/largely resistant to damage... And all 3 melee classes do. In every rpg I've played, the ranger class always has rooting type abilities... Cuz if you're enemy is point blank with you, there's no point in shooting a bow. By the way, with Whisperknife, rogues can also be veritable ranged killers.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My Hr is no glass cannon.....
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Archery is. Some hybrid, combat, and nature can be very tanky if they want to be so.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited February 2014
    utuwer wrote: »
    Archery is. Some hybrid, combat, and nature can be very tanky if they want to be so.

Thank you, took the words right out of my mouth. You say rogues can be glass cannons? They generally are, but they can be built to withstand more. When it comes right down to it, both rogues AND rangers are hit and run classes... But rogues can do it better. rangers have forest ghost, but it doesn't last anywhere near as long as stealth, and they're vulnerable during its 2 sec proc time, as opposed to stealth's insta activate. Marauder's escape doesn't dash as far back as a cw can repel, or a rogue can teleport to.
    edited February 2014
    If you are not dodging you are shooting. I ran a glass cannon build for a while but it is not viable either PVE or PVP. The higher base damage on Bows lends one toward archery build but power, ls, and moderate defensive stats make hybrid optimal. Archery can give you higher DPS when shooting but a solid build makes you attack more and run less. Where a pure archery build is using marauder I am attacking. And I have 2 more encounters to do so with...
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Said the class that can eat 5 Aimed Shots and still to be alive ... Just shut up ... I can do all my rotation on full defense/deflect/HP/regen GWF and if I get 50% from his HP I will be happy and of course death. And you care about 3 sec root that DON'T hold you on one place but you can move around ??? If you are near by to me you can dash and prone me... Are you kidding me ? Just shut up... or better learn to play...

Oh? I'm only spamming 1 ability to win fights over and over again? That's funny, I thought I was using 8 different abilities to shred people apart in PvP. Also, if an enemy team has several GWF's on their side, I definitely abuse the hell out of grasping roots on their bandwagon asses. Then I laugh my *** off when they send me trash PM's complaining about it. Another thing, if you're a HR using Rain of Arrows in PvP you need to stop it. That ability is great in dungeons, but it is absolutely useless in PvP. I always love it when another HR tries to drop that on me in PvP, especially when they are standing up on a ledge, because then I know I'm about to get a free and easy kill.

As all we know that one skill is useful for one and full <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for other person. So yes RoA is hard to placed on the target, but if you learn to do it right then this will go like your favorite skill ;)
    Yes I still test different combos to adjust it versus more classes and to make it less dodge-able but yeah there is a way. 3 hits from RoA do same or more than every other encounters that HR have and RoA do a lot more hits, so yes this skill is good. One mistake and half of the target's HP is gone, and as we know PVP is about who will mistake first / more.
    when a rogue is anchored by a root ,, it becomes useless,

TR have one skill that teleport him in the enemy back (idk name) and this give him freedom from the root. So learn your class and do not blame other for skills that they have.
    query523 wrote: »

Cool, cool bro but as we know if you are not glass cannot your dmg goes less. So we as each other classes need to chose, do we want a bit more dmg or a bit more survivability. Except GWF ofc ... :D
    edited February 2014
    As I previously explained my DPS does not suffer. Instead of running I am attacking. My DPS has actually gone up since I rebuilt for ls hybrid. 6 encounters and 2 dailies in constant rotation with no interruptions work better than slightly higher damage which is intermittent because you have to break off to survive. CWs beat me on PG. Which is true for every class in the game PVE. That there is my cool story... bro....
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    funny thing is that my guild leader does so well in pvp that he will rarely die 3-4 vs 1. his score is often 1-2k higher than everyone else, including the gwf's that may be on our team. i think even once he had like 33 kills and everyone else were at like 0-5 kills and 1-2 people had 10 kills.

he does well in pvp and i leave him to kill the gwf's while i go for everyone else on my rogue. on my cleric, i just debuff the gwf's to the point of negating their unstoppable damage resist and watch them die a whole lot quicker.

it's actually scary how hard it is to keep up with him in kills when he can practically decimate 3-4 people by himself sometimes. his only real counter seems to be 2+ wizards or when a gwf actually hits him :P
  • zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    funny thing is that my guild leader does so well in pvp that he will rarely die 3-4 vs 1. his score is often 1-2k higher than everyone else, including the gwf's that may be on our team. i think even once he had like 33 kills and everyone else were at like 0-5 kills and 1-2 people had 10 kills.

he does well in pvp and i leave him to kill the gwf's while i go for everyone else on my rogue. on my cleric, i just debuff the gwf's to the point of negating their unstoppable damage resist and watch them die a whole lot quicker.

it's actually scary how hard it is to keep up with him in kills when he can practically decimate 3-4 people by himself sometimes. his only real counter seems to be 2+ wizards or when a gwf actually hits him :P

Or somebody with a comparable GS I guess?
  • slintashslintash Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

In that match where i had 33 kills and 0 deaths, i was fighting a GWF with a perfect vorpal and about 15k GS. I have a lesser vorpal and my GS was barely 13.5k, and i dont even have 1 complete armour set yet.

Next arguement?
  • demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

we r both only at 13k and i am not joking. he kills mostly everyone without too much difficulty. he says this:

"In that match where i had 33 kills and 0 deaths, i was fighting a GWF with a perfect vorpal and about 15k GS. I have a lesser vorpal and my GS was barely 13.5k, and i dont even have 1 complete armour set yet. "
    edited February 2014
    slintash wrote: »
    In that match where i had 33 kills and 0 deaths, i was fighting a GWF with a perfect vorpal and about 15k GS. I have a lesser vorpal and my GS was barely 13.5k, and i dont even have 1 complete armour set yet.

Next arguement?
    Is that a hybrid build or pure combat/archery?
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2014
    Is that a hybrid build or pure combat/archery?

Pure archery feats, but i play hybrid in PvP.
    edited February 2014

And maybe your setup is ME/HS/BS + DS and eventually FG time to time ?
    edited February 2014
    And maybe your setup is ME/HS/BS + DS and eventually FG time to time ?

Not even close for one.

Second, why would you pick such a poor combo of skills?
    edited February 2014
    Interesting. I did try that but found the damage sub par. Working in some combat feats has really added burst.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited February 2014
    Not even close for one.

Second, why would you pick such a poor combo of skills?

If you put and RS in this and not AS then the cooldown will get reset often and you can be very mobile. And I just try to guess your setup :)
    I am just curious about it.

Edit:

At all I am trying to find any high dps stun-lock combo but have not much success for moment. Maybe you know one ? :)
    edited February 2014
    If you put and RS in this and not AS then the cooldown will get reset often and you can be very mobile. And I just try to guess your setup :)
    I am just curious about it.

I dont use Aimed Shot, hense why I play a hybrid in PvP and not that of a sniper more so, and not to sound rude, but i really don't intend to spill out my "build" as you call it, and describe exactly how i play. One reason being that i don't use a fixed build, it's pointless and you will get countered. Secondly is that people need to figure out what works best for them and learn each abilities strength and weakness on thier own.

Think about it, if i listend and just copied other people's "builds" (which must be abysmal if people think HR sucks in PvP) how would i get such a high score, while other complain that HR is such a bad class?

If you want to do well as a HR in PvP, basically just pick a role and work around it. Do you want to be a sniper? Someone that can buff all your allies? An assassin that kills off the weaker (Hp wise) targets in a team? Someone that can delay as you cap a point? Experiment around it and just make it your own.
  • zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

Next arguement?

You had a good team? :P Seriously, without any data to back it up and explanation of build an tactics, bragging about kills is pointless and adds nothing to a discussion.

"My GF just killed 5 people single handedly because he's awesome and I know how to play him" will get you nowhere.
    edited February 2014
    You had a good team? :P Seriously, without any data to back it up and explanation of build an tactics, bragging about kills is pointless and adds nothing to a discussion.

"My GF just killed 5 people single handedly because he's awesome and I know how to play him" will get you nowhere.

Someone's a bit bitter, you threw in yet again no real reason or counter arguement. If you'ld like i have several screenshos of the final boards of a few of my games. And no, some of my teams are just horrible, there was one where i outscored my #2 ally on the team by almoast 3k i believe.

Also, having a good team has nothing to do with beating people 2v1 or 3v1 )me being the one), espeically when some of them have a higher GS, or a greater/perfect vorpal.

As for my tactics, why should i share them? If you work hard to get top 8 in a tourniment for instance, are you then going to spill all your secretes to the guy next to you? Not only that i answered your very vague "question", I fight people with the same GS or above oftern.

So I'll ask once again, do you have any real arguements on why I can get such a high rank against people of an even GS or higher, or are you just going to be snouty about it?