What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why do I hate hunter rangers in PVP?

1235»

Comments

• zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    slintash wrote: »
    So I'll ask once again, do you have any real arguements on why I can get such a high rank against people of an even GS or higher, or are you just going to be snouty about it?

Nobody's being snouty, actually it's you that are not bringing any arguments to the table. You say your build is great and you perform very good but refuse to tell how to achieve this. So what's the point? You're not useful.
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Humm, flexible build then, sound interesting. And yes this can work well sometimes but you can change your encounters prefer out of combat or till you running. If you can to change them during combat then you have really fast fingers :)

From other side, all other 4 DPS classes had their own stun-lock combo. If the HR do not have something like that he is weak against them. But I think that HR have stun-lock so it is needed I just to find it. And what if someone know it ? Can you do something when GF start his 3 hits stun-lock except ofc to fly/ lie around till death ? Yes it is hard for him to start it, but after start GF win or is near by to win.

If you just manage to kill others somehow good - ok. About that 15k gs GWF I do not want to comment. GS = / = skills.

About 33 / 0 can you do same every pvp ? I do not think so. I can start to said same for my scores but will be pointless because when I meet high GS+Skill premade (from PVP guild) I am hope to made few kills at all.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dont use Aimed Shot, hense why I play a hybrid in PvP and not that of a sniper more so, and not to sound rude, but i really don't intend to spill out my "build" as you call it, and describe exactly how i play. One reason being that i don't use a fixed build, it's pointless and you will get countered. Secondly is that people need to figure out what works best for them and learn each abilities strength and weakness on thier own.

Think about it, if i listend and just copied other people's "builds" (which must be abysmal if people think HR sucks in PvP) how would i get such a high score, while other complain that HR is such a bad class?

If you want to do well as a HR in PvP, basically just pick a role and work around it. Do you want to be a sniper? Someone that can buff all your allies? An assassin that kills off the weaker (Hp wise) targets in a team? Someone that can delay as you cap a point? Experiment around it and just make it your own.
    Aimed Shot can still work with a hybrid build. I use it at the moment - I will normally get a few opportunities to use it during a match and the melee version is actually quite strong if used against the right targets. I might try Rapid instead to build Serpent stacks faster though.

Builds are useful for general tips and pointers. My current build is based around an old forum post I found, just tweaked from personal experience and play style preference. It will probably change again as I gain more experience with it.

Good point about picking a role and building around that. The problem is that the HR has many possible roles and people are still discovering how to use them.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    goldheart wrote: »
    From other side, all other 4 DPS classes had their own stun-lock combo. If the HR do not have something like that he is weak against them. But I think that HR have stun-lock so it is needed I just to find it. And what if someone know it ? Can you do something when GF start his 3 hits stun-lock except ofc to fly/ lie around till death ? Yes it is hard for him to start it, but after start GF win or is near by to win.
    There is no real stun-lock combo for HR IMO. And the best defence for HR is mobility. Shift like crazy and if all else fails FG/ME out of there. I did go up against an archer build who made excellent use of TW, CA, and roots while shifting either side of me to keep me in range of the TW. That was frustrating - burned my (low geared) GWF down while avoiding all my prones. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is no real stun-lock combo for HR IMO. And the best defence for HR is mobility. Shift like crazy and if all else fails FG/ME out of there. I did go up against an archer build who made excellent use of TW, CA, and roots while shifting either side of me to keep me in range of the TW. That was frustrating - burned my (low geared) GWF down while avoiding all my prones. :)

Yes I saw that from some time some HRs trying to use TW in some combinations, but this is kite style HR. Which one fail against premade that can avoid without problem CA. I stop to use it long time ago and after I reset I put on it just 1 point coz more that this is useless if I try to use it someday in future. Better kiting style I show up above when I ask slintash did he use it. It need a bit adjustment but with RS+Prime Critical, DS and Stormstep Action the HR will can to rotate it without much problems. And the target will be most the time in root on one place.
  • slintashslintash Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Nobody's being snouty, actually it's you that are not bringing any arguments to the table. You say your build is great and you perform very good but refuse to tell how to achieve this. So what's the point? You're not useful.

Right. So basically ignore what i say and live in your own little world. Not my issue.
    goldheart wrote: »
    Humm, flexible build then, sound interesting. And yes this can work well sometimes but you can change your encounters prefer out of combat or till you running. If you can to change them during combat then you have really fast fingers :)

If you just manage to kill others somehow good - ok. About that 15k gs GWF I do not want to comment. GS = / = skills.

About 33 / 0 can you do same every pvp ? I do not think so. I can start to said same for my scores but will be pointless because when I meet high GS+Skill premade (from PVP guild) I am hope to made few kills at all.

At no point did i say change them during combat at all, you do it when you're capping a safe node, or generally far away from the fighting. The reason I don't, ever, stick to one "build" is then you make yourself extremely predictable. Not only that, once they figure out what you are doing and how to stop it, then why would you want to keep walking back into a death trap? You need to learn to adapt or die.

As for the 33/0 again that was one of my high scores (Killwise), do i do that every PvP? No. The main reason is due to leavers and that not every match will go on that long to rack up that amount of kills. Do i usually beat just about everyone's score by 1-2k? Yes. The only times i dont is again, due to leavers if the match doesn't actually go on long enough, capping middle and the other team leaving is not a match.

As for stun locking, we do not have one at all, which is why we are one of the only balanced classes at all. A GWF can prone spam you with 3 attacks in a row and take you from 100% Hp to 0% if you cannot magically escape that, but hey, that's apparently Ok and takes skill.
    Aimed Shot can still work with a hybrid build. I use it at the moment - I will normally get a few opportunities to use it during a match and the melee version is actually quite strong if used against the right targets. I might try Rapid instead to build Serpent stacks faster though.

Builds are useful for general tips and pointers. My current build is based around an old forum post I found, just tweaked from personal experience and play style preference. It will probably change again as I gain more experience with it.

Good point about picking a role and building around that. The problem is that the HR has many possible roles and people are still discovering how to use them.

Builds in my mind are only ever good at teaching the basics, someone that is new to the class or race or role or what have you. The reason i'm not going to share my build word for word is simple. People will not learn anything by themselves, not only that, as i stated earlier, if i have such a great combo and plan laid down, why would i share it so everyone can straight up copy me without any real effort involved?

The problem isn't that HR has so many roles, it's that people (atleast on the forums) seem to always want one clear cut way to use a class. I see it all the time in PvP, the same class whether it be CW or GWF using the same exact combo of abilties from game to game across multiple accounts. If people continue to do so, they'll just keep getting destroyed by people that think outside the box.
  • johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    working as intended LOL, alright its a KNOWN bug the Devs have acknoledged wasnt intended ,, grant roots work correctly, but it supposed to be breakable by using unstoppable/ITC, just like any control effect. when thats fixed itll be working correctly.

I use constricting arrow/steel breeze over hindering shot/strike. Constricting arrow is NOT grasping roots. Honestly, I stopped using abilities that apply grasping roots just because I got tired of trash talk from TR's and GWF's. I still beat the snot out of most of them. I will admit, if the other team has one or multiple GWF's that are decked out rockin' 15k+ gear I will swap out for hindering strike, but never for a rogue. I don't think I have encountered a single TR yet that I couldn't take down with disruptive shot and constricting arrow. Honestly, I'm surprised you are *****ing about our snares anyway. Fox shift + steel breeze work wonders on TR's. When they stealth I just walk around the point spamming fox shift until it nails their *** and eats their stealth meter. After that it's nothing to land a disruptive shot and constricting arrow.
    edited February 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    My Hr is no glass cannon.....

^
    This.
    I don't know where that dude got the idea HR's are glass cannons. We have plenty of mitigation for what we are. I can take a beating like a champ and still drop hurt bombs with a MR/Steel Breeze/Fox Shift combo. The icing on the cake is when you do all that while they are dazed/stunned by disruptive shot and/or constricting arrow, then escape out with ME before they can react.
  • aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heck i already hate the majority of them in pve. All they do is shoot from a far, grab agro, dodge BACKWARDS, and by the time we reach the agro'd group we're at the entrance to the dungeon.

On the side note, most HRs i face are prime targets for being killed easily. When i'm surrounded by 3 or more players i find that one HR all in the way in the back and kill them first. I usually do manage to kill them and laugh at them while i also die.
    edited February 2014
    Heck i already hate the majority of them in pve. All they do is shoot from a far, grab agro, dodge BACKWARDS, and by the time we reach the agro'd group we're at the entrance to the dungeon.

On the side note, most HRs i face are prime targets for being killed easily. When i'm surrounded by 3 or more players i find that one HR all in the way in the back and kill them first. I usually do manage to kill them and laugh at them while i also die.

This is going on big time. My brothers were just watching me PvP about 10 minutes ago and commented that the enemies were bee-lining straight at me, despite having 3 other targets to choose from. Their mistake though because I am a combat PvP HR, so I can take some hits and I just kite them around the point while working their health down. Also, scrub HR's are everywhere (this can be said about every class though). That exact same game I had a HR on my team who was spamming split the sky and thorn ward. You will almost never see me standing off in the distance spamming aimed shot or split shot. I'm usually the first one onto the node and I stay there as long as possible. You don't need max range to kite someone, and it's much easier to burst people with a strong melee combo if you are already near them.
    edited February 2014
    This is going on big time. My brothers were just watching me PvP about 10 minutes ago and commented that the enemies were bee-lining straight at me, despite having 3 other targets to choose from. Their mistake though because I am a combat PvP HR, so I can take some hits and I just kite them around the point while working their health down. Also, scrub HR's are everywhere (this can be said about every class though). That exact same game I had a HR on my team who was spamming split the sky and thorn ward. You will almost never see me standing off in the distance spamming aimed shot or split shot. I'm usually the first one onto the node and I stay there as long as possible. You don't need max range to kite someone, and it's much easier to burst people with a strong melee combo if you are already near them.

The issue with that is more so they are using PvE powers in a PvP mode, sure thorn can be "Ok" in PvP, but rain of arrows will likely never hit anything unless they're rooted/stunned for a long while. The other real issue is that many rangers never seem to tab, at all, we do have 6 encounters for a reason.
    edited February 2014
    The issue with that is more so they are using PvE powers in a PvP mode, sure thorn can be "Ok" in PvP, but rain of arrows will likely never hit anything unless they're rooted/stunned for a long while. The other real issue is that many rangers never seem to tab, at all, we do have 6 encounters for a reason.

You're right. It's really sad considering how much cooldown reduction you can get between stormstep action and agile hunter. You can actually get a constricting arrow > disruptive shot > melee burst > constricting arrow combo off so fast they are still stuck in the 3rd stun from the 1st constricting arrow when you land the 2nd one. Also, an ability being "ok" in PvP doesn't cut it. I wouldn't even say thorn ward is ok since you're also stuck carrying thorn strike, which just plain sucks, and you can just avoid the ward. Even if it is hitting you, the damage is so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's not even worth avoiding half the time.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    I use constricting arrow/steel breeze over hindering shot/strike. Constricting arrow is NOT grasping roots. Honestly, I stopped using abilities that apply grasping roots just because I got tired of trash talk from TR's and GWF's. I still beat the snot out of most of them. I will admit, if the other team has one or multiple GWF's that are decked out rockin' 15k+ gear I will swap out for hindering strike, but never for a rogue. I don't think I have encountered a single TR yet that I couldn't take down with disruptive shot and constricting arrow. Honestly, I'm surprised you are *****ing about our snares anyway. Fox shift + steel breeze work wonders on TR's. When they stealth I just walk around the point spamming fox shift until it nails their *** and eats their stealth meter. After that it's nothing to land a disruptive shot and constricting arrow.

Then you have learned how to do things without using the roots crutch, as for me complaining about the one thing because as far as i can see, that's the only thing really bugged, the rest if the HR plays it correctly is working as it should.

if i wanted to whine i could ***** about weapon enchant damage on thorn ward which is rediculous , some may not have noticed this but thorn ward takes advantage of weapon enchant damage very well. I run with 35K HP with the right gear switch( yes i switch gear on the fly for different opponents) and i have watched my HP just get drained in seconds by thorn ward from a HR with a p. plague fire
    so yeah i have more gripes but its such a side issue for me to roots, I don't bother with the argument.

I've come across your kind of build a couple of times and if I wasn't being very smart and not keeping my distance and keeping stealthed long as possible chances are I would be close to dead ,,,, if my regen ticks wouldn't tick enough to make up for it, which on average my regen ticks at max is 1900. some HR's here haven't even realized what a good combat build is capable of. So they come here arguing about thier PVe built HR in a pvp topic, with you however you are the type of HR that a TR has to worry about. The PVE HR's do something I hate plain and simple,,, rooting.
    edited February 2014
    You're right. It's really sad considering how much cooldown reduction you can get between stormstep action and agile hunter. You can actually get a constricting arrow > disruptive shot > melee burst > constricting arrow combo off so fast they are still stuck in the 3rd stun from the 1st constricting arrow when you land the 2nd one. Also, an ability being "ok" in PvP doesn't cut it. I wouldn't even say thorn ward is ok since you're also stuck carrying thorn strike, which just plain sucks, and you can just avoid the ward. Even if it is hitting you, the damage is so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's not even worth avoiding half the time.

Well, it "can" be used to place on a point just to make it a hinderence to the other team if tehy step on it to cap, but atleast it's better than rain of arrows....which would need way too much work to even use and still wouldnt be effective.

The main reason HR "sucks" to so many people is it is the newist class, has more people playing it (apparently), and has the least time so far to be tested and analized. Not to mention all people seem to think all we do is "spilt shot spam". Honestly the only time to ever use that in PvP is if 4-5 players are in the same area.

I think most people miss the combo potential because theyre too busy trying to play one or the other, even if you play sniper theyre melee abilties that you will use, some may just be buffs, others, not so much.
    edited February 2014
    Then you have learned how to do things without using the roots crutch, as for me complaining about the one thing because as far as i can see, that's the only thing really bugged, the rest if the HR plays it correctly is working as it should.

if i wanted to whine i could ***** about weapon enchant damage on thorn ward which is rediculous , some may not have noticed this but thorn ward takes advantage of weapon enchant damage very well. I run with 35K HP with the right gear switch( yes i switch gear on the fly for different opponents) and i have watched my HP just get drained in seconds by thorn ward from a HR with a p. plague fire
    so yeah i have more gripes but its such a side issue for me to roots, I don't bother with the argument.

Then don't go near the thorn ward. You're invisible. The great thing about stealth is you can always choose your fights. The initiative is yours. Unless you're one of those TR's who thinks they can just ride up to someone and stealth right in front of their face. I love those guys, fox shift and steel breeze are great for dealing with that kind of cockiness. Also, grasping roots is **** good, especially since it's bugged, but it's only a snare. It's effectiveness is limited to melee classes while constricting arrow is good against everyone.
    edited February 2014
    I use split shot a lot just because it's bursty and can deal a good amount of damage to a single target, or multiple targets without having to stand still long. I agree about the split shot opinion though. I've had a lot of people trash talk me and accuse me of doing nothing but abusing split shot and grasping roots when I'm constantly all over the place with every ability I have. Sad thing is, most people don't differentiate between constricting arrow and grasping roots.
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    Then don't go near the thorn ward. You're invisible. The great thing about stealth is you can always choose your fights. The initiative is yours. Unless you're one of those TR's who thinks they can just ride up to someone and stealth right in front of their face. I love those guys, fox shift and steel breeze are great for dealing with that kind of cockiness. Also, grasping roots is **** good, especially since it's bugged, but it's only a snare. It's effectiveness is limited to melee classes while constricting arrow is good against everyone.

ok, heres how i play my TR, I go to the node first thing if noone is around not stealthed and ill bunny hop till cap ,, or if someone shows up, then first im gonna stealth up Im firing cloud of steel all the while bouncing around then if im planning on remaining stealthe i throw shadowstrike do more cloud of steel then right before my stealth runs out i fire impact shot all the while trying to build my daily up which ill use either bloodbath or shocking execution. youll note the fact that,,, lashing blade isnt on my bar ,,my fighting style is strictly ranged TR, but my range is very short so, all my fights are node holder style fights. now lets put this into the thorn ward perspective, the ward is on the node, I want that node so what i have to decide is run away like a little *****. or work out a fast strategy, swap out **** (all while stealth meter is running down) or stoop low go lashing blade run up and quick kill, I rarely use lashing blade because its the easy way out for a rogue if it procs. so I try to go in and grab the node ,,,,, ward lands on node ,, bam there goes 65% of my Hp in seconds, and ward has a long way to go. last second i find myself switching out IS to LB which I hate doing just to make them run out of the node ,, by that time they come back knowing my ****s on cooldown and my stealth isnt an option i have to run ,, but then the boar me knock me down ,,and by the time Im on my feet their melee just wrecked me to almost no HP,,, ok artifact hit ,,, and Im runnin my *** off till stealth meter is back trouble is as long as Im taking any damage no stealth meter refill so I roll and dodge sure it fills up a little , all this time theres one little problem I am rooted very hard. and in seconds Im dead,,,,, but like i said Thronward is a sidenote whine and I really didnt want to complain about it since it actually works as it should.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This, scaredy ranger. It is forgivable when you are a new 60 with no gear. But past that? Get some mitigation. Get some life steal and make the aggro feed you hp. If you get overwhelmed don't dodge away from the enemy. Dodge toward the GF/GWF. Or the circel if there is a DC. Dodge toward where the rest of the party is going to hit it too. The TR is wearing leather too it's not cloth...
  • williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    ^
    This.
    I don't know where that dude got the idea HR's are glass cannons. We have plenty of mitigation for what we are. I can take a beating like a champ and still drop hurt bombs with a MR/Steel Breeze/Fox Shift combo. The icing on the cake is when you do all that while they are dazed/stunned by disruptive shot and/or constricting arrow, then escape out with ME before they can react.

I call them glass cannons, compared to what the other melee classes can/will take. the mitigation doesn't mean jack, because the class feature requires nothing to be by you pretty much, and the boars' hide ability requires you not to be hit at all(max rank= 5 hits and its gone). and the argument is the fact that you use ME and other "chicken" range attacks(READ THE OP), is what the guys' whining about. They can be tanky, but only temporarily. Read before you start jumping down the throat of the guy defending rangers...
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
    edited February 2014
    This, scaredy ranger. It is forgivable when you are a new 60 with no gear. But past that? Get some mitigation. Get some life steal and make the aggro feed you hp. If you get overwhelmed don't dodge away from the enemy. Dodge toward the GF/GWF. Or the circel if there is a DC. Dodge toward where the rest of the party is going to hit it too. The TR is wearing leather too it's not cloth...

that's bad rangers. guess what bad rogue's can do? they can rush ahead, thinking that theyre stealthy *** means they can tank all the adds. then, if the dumbass isn't a proper permastealth, guess what? hes down... that means the rest of the party gets there, just to pick up the rogue, and we all know that's the proper way to start a fight, right? EVERY class can have dumbasses. don't blame the good rangers for the bad ones, and I wont blame all rogues for the bad ones either...
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
    edited February 2014

im full archery hr, and we have more than enough abilities to be fluid. in pvp I start off range, switch to marauder's rush, hit with fox's **** and steel breeze. nighty night, most classes! if theyre still alive and/or smacking me back, might dash back with marauder's escape, constricting arrow, fox' cunning, and/or binding arrow. we can be fluid with those 6 encounters... I just admit that range offers more damage in my opinion.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Willie I main a HR. My point was more that there are an awful lot of rangers that do this and when people who do not play them talk about the class this is what they think it does because this is what they see them do. In PVP this is an advantage because I am going to do something entirely different and get the ellement of suprise. In PVE it is a disadvantage because if none of my friends are on I have to convince groups that I am not the scaredy ranger.
    edited February 2014
    Willie I main a HR. My point was more that there are an awful lot of rangers that do this and when people who do not play them talk about the class this is what they think it does because this is what they see them do. In PVP this is an advantage because I am going to do something entirely different and get the ellement of suprise. In PVE it is a disadvantage because if none of my friends are on I have to convince groups that I am not the scaredy ranger.

Sorry if it seems I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not. The balance of good rangers to bad ones is so imbalanced right now. I have the same dealings as you in pvp/pve. Have to constantly prove myself a worthy ranger in pve(which I do, I almost always end up least damage taken, least heals), and use combat/range mixing when I pvp(stupid to use split the sky/thorn ward, go marauder's escape/rush, fox's shift/cunning). I prefer full range, but go melee when necessary. Just tired of hearing a well balanced class get trashed because of the worst of us. Can be said of EVERY class.