test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com and new Arc client now in Beta!

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    . . . Arc should detect your installation of Neverwinter. When you load up ARC, log in as you would log into the launcher or web site. Then click on Library up top and you'll be presented with your installed games on the left. There will be a play button on the game. The only reason ARC may not detect an installation is if it is not an actual installation but a copied over installation, meaning proper registry entries weren't created.
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . Arc should detect your installation of Neverwinter. When you load up ARC, log in as you would log into the launcher or web site. Then click on Library up top and you'll be presented with your installed games on the left. There will be a play button on the game. The only reason ARC may not detect an installation is if it is not an actual installation but a copied over installation, meaning proper registry entries weren't created.

Or simply a reinstallation of the Operating System; it would be the case for me. The ARC Regestry Tool I linked to (official PWE support site and searchable via Google or the like) was meant to adress this problem. So, what is the use of the button "add existing game" if the needed entries are not also created?

One point to think over, zebular, why should I deinstall ARC after downloading a game just to be able to add it again? Maybe a corrupt ARC client that seems to be consistent but running the ARC installation file would offer to repair the installed ARC client, so -- no point in your answer.

Do I have to activate the ARCPlugin in my brwosers ARC installs secretly by itself? I am no big fan about such a feature secretly installed on any browers I use.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    aethanas wrote: »
    Or simply a reinstallation of the Operating System; it would be the case for me. The ARC Regestry Tool I linked to (official PWE support site and searchable via Google or the like) was meant to adress this problem. So, what is the use of the button "add existing game" if the needed entries are not also created?

One point to think over, zebular, why should I deinstall ARC after downloading a game just to be able to add it again? Maybe a corrupt ARC client that seems to be consistent but running the ARC installation file would offer to repair the installed ARC client, so -- no point in your answer.

Do I have to activate the ARCPlugin in my brwosers ARC installs secretly by itself? I am no big fan about such a feature secretly installed on any browers I use.

you sound like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

the arc registry repair tool appears to be a program designed to do what arc should do within a normal install: point the arc overlay to the installed locations of PWE games. i'd also like to point out that this tool was provided in august of 2013 and it may or may not be needed with the newer version of arc. while arc's install may be designed to locate installed games, this may not happen if users have multiple install locations across different hard drives. it is possible that since there is an option within arc to add existing games, this would eliminate the need for the separate arc registry tool. as i just stated, it was added back in august of 2013 and the new arc program is more recent.

any user can manage their browser plugins. however it is possible that the arc browser plug in is required to allow integration of the web content.

ultimately, there is nothing "secret" or hidden going on within the arc program. all of the information about arc and what its purpose is has been provided. it's understandable that people want to be cautious about what programs they're installing but my question to some of these inquiries would be if you trust the game program enough to install it, why would you have such an issue with installing the arc client? makes absolutely no sense. this is coming from someone that has an extensive background in IT support and i am very cautious about what i choose to install on my systems.
  • strous1strous1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I for one don't want ARC to load my Neverwinter game. I have found that starting Neverwinter with ARC wont let you go into Preview shard or Owlbear shard. I have not noticed anyone else mention this, so here it is.

Have fun I am!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PnP Red Box DM & Player (74 - ?). NWN + SoU + HotU (4-03),
    NWN Diamond Edition, Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN + NWN2).
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    strous1 wrote: »
    I for one don't want ARC to load my Neverwinter game. I have found that starting Neverwinter with ARC wont let you go into Preview shard or Owlbear shard. I have not noticed anyone else mention this, so here it is.

Have fun I am!!!

Yes it does as I have used it to go to the Preview shard. Once it logs you in, you just click the preview or owlbear instead
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Illusionist is cool. All I had to do was upgrade Arc. He glows in the dark at L20. :)
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • evilgenius180evilgenius180 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    blababir wrote: »
    There is reward claims agent in protector's enclave. You can see on map.

Thanks. I came here with the same question. I'm glad I read some replies before posting. :)
    edited January 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    you sound like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

the arc registry repair tool appears to be a program designed to do what arc should do within a normal install: point the arc overlay to the installed locations of PWE games. i'd also like to point out that this tool was provided in august of 2013 and it may or may not be needed with the newer version of arc. while arc's install may be designed to locate installed games, this may not happen if users have multiple install locations across different hard drives. it is possible that since there is an option within arc to add existing games, this would eliminate the need for the separate arc registry tool. as i just stated, it was added back in august of 2013 and the new arc program is more recent.

any user can manage their browser plugins. however it is possible that the arc browser plug in is required to allow integration of the web content.

ultimately, there is nothing "secret" or hidden going on within the arc program. all of the information about arc and what its purpose is has been provided. it's understandable that people want to be cautious about what programs they're installing but my question to some of these inquiries would be if you trust the game program enough to install it, why would you have such an issue with installing the arc client? makes absolutely no sense. this is coming from someone that has an extensive background in IT support and i am very cautious about what i choose to install on my systems.

Two points I am dissatisfied with.
    First of all, stay somewhat on the topic neither me nor you are of any interest and any claim about my or your background are not verifyable -- thank you.
    As for the program I mentioned, it is irrelevant now and I said too it got no updates whatsoever but in my post which got deleted.

The mentioned program seems to be still needed with the ARC version of the ArcInstall_v20140121a.exe but it is something ARC should do as you said.
    I just replied to sereenawind, seeming to have a similar issue like me, and zebular specified that ARC has problems recognising installed games, if your OS is freshly re-installed or one simply copies a game from an external drive.
    I just criticised what the point should be of this feature when it does not help with a scenario actually needing a way to add a game again into ARC and if that feature should work as intended.
    I know of other programs like ARC and I am just curious that these are able to work without a plugin in a browser and are able to add a game even after a reinstall of the OS so that it is not needed to re-download a game. Maybe that will change for ARC too, but till now the problem persists: that is the whole point.

Only concerning melodywhr:
    But totally unnecessary was your answer opening with an assumption about my motives and about the locations about my installed games which are all in a folder with the structure *:\PWE\ARC\Download\*folder name created by ARC* which I created with the first version of ARC after it was published and while I used ARC to re-download all games and I used ARC also to download Neverwinter before I migrated to Windows 8/8.1.

So yes, maybe in the future the problem will get solved but it is not now as I re-downloaded ARC to test that said new version, so the only solution would be to edit the registry or to use a registry tool, which is outdated for Neverwinter, or to use the shortcuts ARC till now creates. (As an example said registry program worked like a charm for Champions Online.)
    And all this could have be written via a PM if you just had used a PM instead of rushing into a conversation not addressed to you.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    aethanas wrote: »
    ...snip...

my background was only stated as it pertains to my position when it comes to the installation of programs. i don't have to be someone with an IT background to be careful with what i install.

also, my response wasn't at all personal as my intent is to help people that are interested in the installation of arc, to prove to them that the program isn't problematic.

and lastly, if you post in a public forum, expect others to respond to you. if you wanted to have a private conversation, perhaps you should have been the one PM'ing.
    edited February 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    my background was only stated as it pertains to my position when it comes to the installation of programs. i don't have to be someone with an IT background to be careful with what i install.

also, my response wasn't at all personal as my intent is to help people that are interested in the installation of arc, to prove to them that the program isn't problematic.

and lastly, if you post in a public forum, expect others to respond to you. if you wanted to have a private conversation, perhaps you should have been the one PM'ing.

But lastly, ARC is not all that bad some are saying, well, I just wanted to mention this kind of problem but hopefully they will find a way to solve it; I will stay tuned to it and like this promotion. Re-downloading Neverwinter with a 614 kB/s connection is no fun.
    And finally, my last posts became a bit too harsh.
  • kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Great...everything moved... Seriously, where is the Gateway link now?
    edited February 2014
    They haven't added it to the new site yet. But this is the link to it.

https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/
  • kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    They haven't added it to the new site yet. But this is the link to it.

https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/

Cool, thanks rhoric
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A quick question.
    Arc is actually a launcher of launcher (like Stream). Is it in the list to change it to be THE lancher of each game ?

If I use a quick comparison, Battle.net launcher was like Arc. But last year, it change to include the management of all game update, test serveur access, etc
    Is it something to expect in the futur ?
    edited February 2014
    I can answer that yes eventually ARC will be the only launcher needed to launch any of Cryptic/PWE games that you have installed and will do away with the individual launcher for each game.
  • nhokinhoki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28
    edited February 2014
    where is the site of the preview?
    always forget the most important
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    im sorry but this arc sucks it lags my pc and my pc is not junk every time i try to download or update a game it crashes i have to restart my pc to get things to work it was fine the way it was i dont see why you had to mess with it even buying zen now is a pain in the butt

i hate this arc and ontop of that your putting everything in to a beta program REALLY yeah i cant see this going wrong
    sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
    edited February 2014
    Then it is an issue with your PC not ARC. I have never had ARC cause an issue to my laptop and it is over 3 years old and I have been using ARC since day 1 last year.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow I can actually read these new forums compared to STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thelastmusketeerthelastmusketeer Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sominator wrote: »
    We're pleased to announce that the new Arc website, Arcgames.com, and client are now in Public Beta!

It's a very exciting moment for us – we've been working on the site for the past several months and this will be our first opportunity to share it with everyone.

Click here for all of the details: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1075391

What is the new link where you can copy over your characters to the preview shard?

Following instructions given on this link:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?330011-Welcome-to-NeverwinterPreview!

only leads you to a page where it says: "neverwinter has moved"...and you get moved to a section that doesn't have anything to do with the preview...(eg., http://nw.perfectworld.com/preview).
    edited February 2014
    There isn't away currently. It has been mentioned in several other topics that they are aware of it and are working on correcting it.
  • isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Keep your ARC out of my MMO games, I will never use it and if you try to force it on me you will lose me as a customer. This <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> should be optional.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Keep your ARC out of my MMO games, I will never use it and if you try to force it on me you will lose me as a customer. This <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> should be optional.

Sorry, but that's the eventual goal. ARC will be fully integrated and will replace all existing launchers at some point in the future. It's the way all F2P games are migrating now--common launch platforms. You have Steam to thank for that, btw. They made the idea popular, after all.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, but that's the eventual goal. ARC will be fully integrated and will replace all existing launchers at some point in the future. It's the way all F2P games are migrating now--common launch platforms. You have Steam to thank for that, btw. They made the idea popular, after all.

Then you just took away any reason for me to buy ZEN again.

Steam, is a separate company that provides a service for the INDUSTRY. You do not see Turbine, Funcom, EA, Sony, Nexus, NDoors, NCsoft, Trion or ANY other company making F2P games for that matter doing something like this. Looks like I will never play a PWI game again. Stupid move.
  • deavandedeavande Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why? What is wrong with Arc. I like it as I don't have to log in anymore. I start Arc, click the little play button and it auto-logs me in to Neverwinter. When I'm done playing, just right click on it's icon on the taskbar and close window. The only time I see Arc is when I first start, till I push the little play button otherwise never know it is there.
    edited March 2014
    Then you just took away any reason for me to buy ZEN again.

Steam, is a separate company that provides a service for the INDUSTRY. You do not see Turbine, Funcom, EA, Sony, Nexus, NDoors, NCsoft, Trion or ANY other company making F2P games for that matter doing something like this. Looks like I will never play a PWI game again. Stupid move.

Doesn't mean they won't. Again, it's the direction that the industry is going. However, I will end the discussion of the matter at this point. I merely wished to illustrate that you are simply fighting against the tide. As your continuing posts are in technicality a violation of Rules of Conduct (your posts amount to "I quit" and an ultimatum), I will end this line of discussion here.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Keep your ARC out of my MMO games, I will never use it and if you try to force it on me you will lose me as a customer. This <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> should be optional.Then you just took away any reason for me to buy ZEN again.

Wow.

1) It *IS* optional. Why are you knee-jerk sweating-out a future that is so far away?
    2) It was nice knowing you, have a wonderful game-life, but I can't say you'll be missed (none of us would be).

Seriously, folks: ARC is currently 100% optional. It will remain such for the foreseeable future. It only takes three minutes of research to know this for a fact.

Here's a PRO TIP: By the time ARC becomes mandatory to play ARC Games like Neverwinter and Star Trek Online and the rest you either will have lost interest in the game by then and stopped playing, or you love the game so much you'll use ARC anyway, no matter what you say now (and you'll realize it's nowhere near as bad as your fear mongering imagination is tricking you into thinking right now.) Which makes any naysaying at this point completely irrelevant and moot.
    edited March 2014
    Doesn't mean they won't. Again, it's the direction that the industry is going.

Yet the "Industry" isn't, its just PWI it "seems" since the other major F2P companies are not doing it nor have announced they plan to.

I am going by your response that PWIs goal is to make ARC mandatory. If it isn't going to be, I have no issues with ARC being an OPTION for those that want it. I do not. You placing my posts in a category of being just an I quit so you can remove them is a blatant abuse of power because I am saying I DONT WANT TO QUIT but refuse to use ARC. As can be seen by the title under my name, I believe in Neverwinter and want to continue. Does this hold any value to you at all? Because it doesn't sound like it since you are making it sound as if I am just another leech F2P gamer with no value, that's just trolling negativity.
    edited March 2014
    Yet the "Industry" isn't, its just PWI it "seems" since the other major F2P companies are not doing it nor have announced they plan to.

I am going by your response that PWIs goal is to make ARC mandatory. If it isn't going to be, I have no issues with ARC being an OPTION for those that want it. I do not. You placing my posts in a category of being just an I quit so you can remove them is a blatant abuse of power because I am saying I DONT WANT TO QUIT but refuse to use ARC. As can be seen by the title under my name, I believe in Neverwinter and want to continue. Does this hold any value to you at all? Because it doesn't sound like it since you are making it sound as if I am just another leech F2P gamer with no value, that's just trolling negativity.

Announcements can be sprung at any time. Who's to say they won't? Also, I wouldn't call Aeria Games a "minor" F2P company--and they do have an integrated launch platform in Ignite.

Yes, it has been announced that eventually ARC will replace all game launchers--but that's way, WAY off in the future. As stated above, how many players will simply lose interest in the games altogether?

And no, I haven't said that you're a gamer with no value, just that your posts are technically demand/ultimatum posts (do this/don't do this or I quit!!) and a violation of the rules. Since a constructive discussion can be still be salvaged from the matter, I have chosen not to enforce that for the time being.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

edited March 2014
    NCSoft has their own integrated launcher. EA has their Origin. Sony has had an integrated launcher on the books for a long time as I remember it from my Star Wars Galaxies days. Blizzard has one too. So saying other companies are not doing this is not true.