test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's your role-playing view on Blink Dog drops from an evil foe' chest?

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
I noticed that Blink Dog's active bonus is good for dps, but also noticed that in the dialogue with leprechaun about the chest (which drops Blink Dog) mentions that the chest belongs to the evil boss (in this case, Celadaine). That means Blink Dog might be associated or owned by Celadaine.

Not that I think Blink Dog itself is evil. I just feel uneasy to use a companion which might be an evil boss's property/belonging.

I tried to come up with a reasonable interpretation that Blink Dog is not necessarily associated with Celadaine, but still couldn't think of one.

What's your role-playing view on this matter? Do you think that Blink Dog drops from Celadaine's chest means it was once belonged to Celadaine?
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why couldn't the dog have been a captive or mistreated pet that you liberated? It could also be that since the chest is enchanted in some way, it was all that was keeping it from teleporting itself out - and it's so happy to be free from that terrible place that it feels it owes you a life debt...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You broke into his home, killed his servants and pets, murdered him, and stole his puppy. You should feel awful.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Why couldn't the dog have been a captive or mistreated pet that you liberated? It could also be that since the chest is enchanted in some way, it was all that was keeping it from teleporting itself out - and it's so happy to be free from that terrible place that it feels it owes you a life debt...
    Yeah, that's a nice one. Blink Dog being able to teleport couldn't teleport out of the chest is likely to mean it was trapped inside. And after being released, it doesn't attack us or revenge for someone. Instead, it then fights for us. That means it is willing to be with us. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    You broke into his home, killed his servants and pets, murdered him, and stole his puppy. You should feel awful.
    bioshrike's interpretation can solve this issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    But Celedaine wasn't evil. Sure he did evil acts. But was tricked into doing so. Malabog counldn't beat him directly. So he had his witches put him under a spell. He was tricked into serving Malabog. That is not evil.

Up until the day you kill him, he still firmly believes he is protecting his realm. Its the very last thing he even says.

So without even trying to rescue, save, or redeem him. You break into his home and assassinate him. Doesnt seem real just.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    But Celedaine wasn't evil. Sure he did evil acts. But was tricked into doing so. Malabog counldn't beat him directly. So he had his witches put him under a spell. He was tricked into serving Malabog. That is not evil.

Up until the day you kill him, he still firmly believes he is protecting his realm. Its the very last thing he even says.

So without even trying to rescue, save, or redeem him. You break into his home and assassinate him. Doesnt seem real just.
    Well, I thought I had read all dialogues carefully. Could you let me know where you read that story?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Its all there in the lore. Look under the sharandar section. Fall of Celedain starting with the 2nd paragraph.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Unfortunately, if breaking the spell isn't an option, sometimes you gotta bring an end to the mind-controlled person...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Its all there in the lore. Look under the sharandar section. Fall of Celedain starting with the 2nd paragraph.
    Thank you. I just read it. Somehow those collected lore never successfully encourage me to read them one by one, though I care about role playing so much. They really should be well-merged with gameplay to create touching storylines instead of being wall of text and sleeping in the journal forever.

And it's sad that Celedaine didn't have a strong psyche to resist/tell fomorian witch's magic. If the quest let us know what had happened in detail and offers alternative options to rescue Celedaine, I surely would do so. But since Celedaine couldn't be rescued anymore and kept harming the innocent, we had no choice but to end his life.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thank you. I just read it. Somehow those collected lore never successfully encourage me to read them one by one, though I care about role playing so much. They really should be well-merged with gameplay to create touching storylines instead of being wall of text and sleeping in the journal forever.

And it's sad that Celedaine didn't have a strong psyche to resist/tell fomorian witch's magic. If the quest let us know what had happened in detail and offers alternative options to rescue Celedaine, I surely would do so. But since Celedaine couldn't be rescued anymore and kept harming the innocent, we had no choice but to end his life.

I would have been cool if there was a mini-boss before Celadaine, which was a Fomorian Witch who attemted to use the same enchantment to trick you, and the redcaps appeared as the elves you were working with, for a short period of time...
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Blink Dogs (old school ones anyone), were actually Lawful Good.

Except yours, Ian. You stole him, stole him! Sure, you destroyed an evil being. But instead of turning over his assets to the Elven authorities, you kept it for yourself. And because of that heinous act, he's turned Chaotic Evil!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If the quest let us know what had happened in detail and offers alternative options to rescue Celedaine, I surely would do so.
    I'd be great if the game offered these sort of choices, I'm a fan of choice. Even something relatively shallow like the light/dark system in SWtoR added to the game. I don't know how viable it would be for the Neverwinter setting though.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd be great if the game offered these sort of choices, I'm a fan of choice. Even something relatively shallow like the light/dark system in SWtoR added to the game. I don't know how viable it would be for the Neverwinter setting though.

Neverwinter Nights had a great Lawful/Chaotic/Good/Evil system set up throughout their games. In 4th Edition D&D, they simplified it, but it was still present. A shame NW did not implement it, but so it goes.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Blink Dogs (old school ones anyone), were actually Lawful Good.

Except yours, Ian. You stole him, stole him! Sure, you destroyed an evil being. But instead of turning over his assets to the Elven authorities, you kept it for yourself. And because of that heinous act, he's turned Chaotic Evil!
    Thanks for the info.

And the Blink Dog doesn't seem to necessarily belong to any authorities, either, as far as I can see. Still, if there is an option for returning it to its owner (if it has one), I'm willing to do so.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the info.

And the Blink Dog doesn't seem to necessarily belong to any authorities, either, as far as I can see. Still, if there is an option for returning it to its owner (if it has one), I'm willing to do so.

I freed this guy... and he keeps following me around - even answers to the name I gave him, (cuz I didn't know what else to call him). He seems fairly useful, and even attacks my enemies. I might as well keep him around, then...
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Still, if there is an option for returning it to its owner (if it has one), I'm willing to do so.

I'm the rightful owner. You can give it to me.

On a totally unrelated note, anybody want to buy a Blink Dog? :)
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can't wait until you get up to artifacts, Ian.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    BTW, this is a PET, and an ANIMAL. It is an IT, not a person, so it's not evil or good.

It's an animal. It follows master's orders. It bears no responsibility for its predatory instincts.

So yeah :)

It's a good thing you found it though, cause I'm still doing Celadaine DAILY since I opened that gate, and I have yet to see it once. Luckily a guildie saw my plight and gifted me one :)
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Does this thing even still drop? I've done that stupid dungeon more than 50 time and still no dog.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This game is terrible for roleplayers like me. It gives me a list of gods to worship and they are all good or hippy deities. Where are the evil deities at? While you run in to minor issues like not being able to use spells like steal time, i can't even get past character creation. It won't even let me choose agnostic and make-believe my own deity. The only thing i can do is refresh my celestial coins in sca by worshipping at evil altars.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This game is terrible for roleplayers like me. It gives me a list of gods to worship and they are all good or hippy deities. Where are the evil deities at? While you run in to minor issues like not being able to use spells like steal time, i can't even get past character creation. It won't even let me choose agnostic and make-believe my own deity. The only thing i can do is refresh my celestial coins in sca by worshipping at evil altars.

In order to be allowed into Lord Neverember's enclave, you must declare which deity you worship. As a sly and clever adherent to an evil deity, you misinform the registrar, and give him the name of some sappy deity that you could care less about, in order to gain entrance.

Those Neverwinter fools will never know the truth!!! Mua ha ha ha ha ha!!!
  • Options
    nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great,I've kept my blink dog in the stables,never used him,now I'm going to have to take him out just to see if he turns evil or not,going to be real hard trying to get a good nights sleep around the campfire with him around though, thanks a lot.
    :)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . . Keep in mind, one of the key lore features of the Forgotten Realms is that any creature can be of any alignment in the realms. It specifically states this in the rule books of the past and in the lore. Elminster once stated in his Ecologies that it is entirely possible for there to be Chaotic Evil Gold Dragons and Lawful Good Red Dragons, for example. So, just because the Monstrous Manual may state that a creature is Evil or Good, that may not be entirely true when dealing with the Realms specifically. Elminster is even known for befriending and riding a Chaotic Good Red Drake, as another example.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    BTW, this is a PET, and an ANIMAL. It is an IT, not a person, so it's not evil or good.

It's an animal. It follows master's orders. It bears no responsibility for its predatory instincts.

It's a good thing you found it though, cause I'm still doing Celadaine DAILY since I opened that gate, and I have yet to see it once. Luckily a guildie saw my plight and gifted me one :)

Except it is not your average dog, and is intelligent.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »

dardove wrote: »
    Except it is not your average dog, and is intelligent.

. . . . . Indeed, Dardove. Blink Dogs have an intelligence score in PnP D&D and also have (pre-4th) an alignment. Even in 4th edition, they can have an alignment should the DM desire, as alignment still exists in 4th Edition. It's called "Personalities & Alignments."
  • Options
    lilyren12lilyren12 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It seems a little cruel.As a matter of fact i like join in costume party to play role-playing.Everyone can wear the same clothes and hair wigs as their favorite characters.And wigs online are in variety.People can choose them according to their own preference.
  • Options
    buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Blink Dog was not stolen it was released. It was done by force but it was released nonetheless. The dog has a choice but game does not allow the dog to exert that choice freely. So we are left with animals of a type that are 'companion' by nature and will show companionship to those offering it in return. If you don't offer it then release the dog (throw it away) and it will go off and find someone else more worthy: if you do offer it it will return the companionship no matter who you are because that is its nature set by game canon.

I find it strange that this should be considered an rp obstacle when, if you talk to someone else with a blink dog you find that they also claim to have defeated Celadaine and released his dog and offered it companionship or that you can get his dog more than once (I think)

This game only limits roleplaying if you need those roleplaying apects put on a plate for you.

My DC not only doesn't trust Lord Neverember but (privately) she holds him in contempt. He has darker plans and bides his time but she has to go on with his game to discover the 'truth'. Luckily every time she tells him so no-one else hears and the fact that he doesn't rise up against her just fuels her suspicions. He's a wrong-un.

One day she'll say "I told you so!"
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I rescued and healed mine. My deity is Sune.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I would still see blink dogs as intelligent animals and deem you worthy of working with since you destroyed the evil entity it was trying to remove and got captured by.

... oh, for anyone else who doesn't know, welcome to the world of iamwizard. He has a very... interesting, view on how roleplay happens. I've seen a few of his threads that are amusing at his determination of how to deal with the world. For some reason, his take is that the roleplay has to fit the world, instead of shaping the world to fit the roleplay. In the end, to each their own. :)
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As for my opinion, it seems to be the only place in Faerune that my character heard of being able to obtain the Blink Dog. Being an Oghmanyte, and thus pursuing knowledge at all costs, she invaded this tower and, as it turns out, did a pretty good deed in the process.

Now where all these other people have gotten theirs from baffles her in mystery, but she has her subject to study now. As well as that strange Fawn.

Next on her list is this strange mimic that seems to be magically altered in appearance and in temperment. Now, how exactly did that happen? She'll soon find out.

(this probably doesn't help you unless you're an Oghmanyte.)
    contents to be decided