test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Notes: NW.10.20131211a.10

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Patch Notes (PC)
This build is set to go live at 10PM PST on 1/2/14.

Winter Festival's Zenith
  • Stars of Fortune may now properly be purchased at the Trade Bar Vendor in Protector's Enclave. Get them while supplies last - They'll be vanishing a week after the Winter Festival ends!
  • Players may now redeem a Star of Fortune for a Shower of Lights, worth 220 Lights of Simril, at the Light of Simril vendor in Twilight Tor.
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dang there goes my Gauntlgrym run tonight.
  • wildfire412001wildfire412001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    so glad i haven't used my Zen for anything now, been building up ... looks like i'll be buying keys to open lockboxes! :D
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don’t worry; with the changes coming to the event you’ll be able to gain more Star of Fortune tokens. You can now get your fortune multiple times a day, and Star of Fortunes are now available in the Tarmalune Trade Bar store.

I notice the news update now has the red part crossed out. Nice!

Pretty disappointed in the "Zenith" overall.
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Still have no idea what winterkill shields and ring of lights are for. I mean other than on crafting job to level your pole. I was origonally thinking they would be used in a lights crafting task or sold for small amounts of lights.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• jgraham7897jgraham7897 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    I notice the news update now has the red part crossed out. Nice!

Pretty disappointed in the "Zenith" overall.

So am I. Don't have many bars for stars and I won't buy keys to get them either. Should have put in a crafting recipe to take the place of the multiple daily's not working.
  • proteusknightproteusknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree with the above statement, I too am disappointed with the so called "Zenith"!

What I cannot stand is the amount of skeletons that attack you on the lake. You not only are attacked by the skeleton coming out of the hole in which you are fishing but they can attack from surrounding fishing holes! I have been attacked by as many as four, sometimes up to three at a time. The detection really is way overreaching! :-(
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Official word is that the feature of multiple stars per day wasn't working correctly and they had to disable it.

Surely feels like there are other reasons behind it, especially since they don't even seem to try to fix it...
    edited January 2014
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Anyway to lower the cost of the stars?? 45 Tarmalune bars is CRAZY expensive for what is truly a free pet... I wanted to try to get a sleigh too.. but no way in heck I am dropping 45 tarmalune bars per star

lol 45 bars per star. Insane!

I'll just sit on my extra stars until next year if I don't end up turning them in for lights. Hopefully they wont magically disappear.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nothing was ever written anywhere about multiple stars.

The news post said multiple fortunes (not stars of fortune, fortunes). Sominator's update said they wanted players to be able to receive multiple buffs (the scroll you can get reading the fortune scroll).

It appears to me that they couldn't get the fortune quest working properly to grant the other stuff multiple times per day without granting stars as well, thus scrapped the idea at the last minute.

And people saw the news post and assumed what they wanted, without fully parsing what it actually said.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • lordofdablingslordofdablings Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    45 bars per star?

Sled mount at 450 bars

Fawn at 675 bars

Mimic at 810 bars

Whats the other stuff on the vendor cost? Isnt it in the thousands for some of it?
    Not to bad also considering you have 5 or 6 more days worth of Stars you can collect to get the price down if you havnt already been collecting.
    edited January 2014
    Nothing was ever written anywhere about multiple stars.

The news post said multiple fortunes (not stars of fortune, fortunes). Sominator's update said they wanted players to be able to receive multiple buffs (the scroll you can get reading the fortune scroll).

It appears to me that they couldn't get the fortune quest working properly to grant the other stuff multiple times per day without granting stars as well, thus scrapped the idea at the last minute.

And people saw the news post and assumed what they wanted, without fully parsing what it actually said.

"Don’t worry; with the changes coming to the event you’ll be able to gain more Star of Fortune tokens. You can now get your fortune multiple times a day, and Star of Fortunes are now available in the Tarmalune Trade Bar store."

I parsed it just fine. The context is rather plain that you'll gain more tokens from the fortune dude.
  • xdaftydudexxdaftydudex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    can't wait for the patch :)
    edited January 2014

Count me in :cool:

But the original news post was very unclear at least. Can't recall it but there was a direct link between more stars and the ability to do the quest multiple times.

€dit: thx verdonix1 for posting the quote. I mean, c'mon..

So not that much "loss" after all. Also have to say that across all ALTs, 220 Lights per Star add up. You can basically decide whether you want the Mimic or Fawn for instance.
  • jarebla1051jarebla1051 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited January 2014
    Not sure what you're doing "ProteusKnight" that's a lot of skellies.

My last fishin' hole experience was one attacked me and another dragged by a fellow fisherman who then just stood there and watched the fight..
    "One Riot, One Ranger" **

Deuce HR L 60 Archer Build+Melee
    Bow Expert
    Blade Proficient

(**Motto of the Texas Rangers, 1823-Present. Dept. of Public Services, State of Texas)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rellaniarellania Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I feel like it's not considered to have gone "live" until it's available to play on... which is not the case at 10:40 PM. So, definitely not live at 10 PM.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    j0shi82 wrote: »
    Count me in :cool:

But the original news post was very unclear at least. Can't recall it but there was a direct link between more stars and the ability to do the quest multiple times.

€dit: thx verdonix1 for posting the quote. I mean, c'mon..

So not that much "loss" after all. Also have to say that across all ALTs, 220 Lights per Star add up. You can basically decide whether you want the Mimic or Fawn for instance.

Fair enough, and at least you're polite about it.

I've basically been telling people all through the event that bonus rewards was highly unlikely to mean more stars of fortune, and I stand by it. Not sure how telling people that Cryptic isn't going to give them something and never actually said they would is remotely fannish.

Not the first time a news post or dev post has said something that sort of sounds like one thing but means another (cough coff wondrous augmentation).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2014
    excuse me second restart for this in one day and no fix of some huge bugs like the hr vines? yes ofc getting more stars is more important than fixing a bug that ruins pvp... or changing the drops of sword coast for example that most of my friends droped out allready
  • darinderdarinder Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *sigh*

It seems I'm being bitten by the same(?) update bug as I experienced after NW.20131211a.8. That is, the launcher is stuck at "Patched 8192KB / 42MB // Received 12KB - 19%". The only files the launcher is currently "updating" are in cef_cache:
    data_0, data_1, index, Cookies, Cookies-journal

but (just as last time), these files aren't actually being updated. While they are being overwritten, the contents are remaining constant (I've run period checksums over each of them).

The only request the launcer appears to be making are for
    "http://launcher.playneverwinter.com/launcher_server_status".

Yes, I've done a force verify. No, my firewall and anti-virus software aren't interfering (they've been deactivated in fact).

The upshot is of course that I can't play. :(

Hey Cryptic - that this exact problem has happened (at least once) before does not speak well of your internal QA practices.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You do realize the server is down right now for maintenance.
    edited January 2014
    Don't think there were double Favor of Sunes back at the Midsummer, so this would also be in line.

But with no double fish (Midsummer had double petals) and (as rumor has it) 45 Tarmalunes (Midsummer was 20) this is a major step back.
  • eocrooseocroos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait a minute, is there going to be another way of getting those lights?
  • guaraguao34guaraguao34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    j0shi82 wrote: »
    Official word is that the feature of multiple stars per day wasn't working correctly and they had to disable it.

Surely feels like there are other reasons behind it, especially since they don't even seem to try to fix it...

Since they disable something that wasnt working as intended, might as well disable seismic shot until they find a fix to that **** bug. Also in the zenith thread i posted "Totally disappointed at zenith...2 thumbs downs", well i have to change those thumbs, i give you....1 3/4 thumbs DOWN. The main thing for thumbs down, is the fish turn in, and the items that will stay in our bags forever, the others are too much and not worth putting anything here since...well lets be honest you guys could careless, event is almost over. The 1/4 up, is for the surprise i got, im so use to you guys going beyond expensive on stuff that you know players really want, i was expecting like 100 to 150 bars per star, but nope...45, i still cant believe the miracle, and still is a lot, for something that like someone said ...its a free pet, so not so free after all. Anyways, ill just finish the event and grab w/e i can, and keep my no buy from "crypticpwew/ethenameofthecompany" until i see some stuff down in prices...in game ones at least.
  • darinderdarinder Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    You do realize the server is down right now for maintenance.

Assuming this was aimed at me - you do realise the patching was working up until a certain point and then stopped? Besides which, according to the launcher's own status indicator (the link in my earlier post), the server is up.
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay guys, let's take it easy. If you read it exactly as the mods wrote it, they never once imply that you'll get double star rewards
    (snip) Don’t worry; with the changes coming to the event you’ll be able to gain more Star of Fortune tokens.

Okay, they're saying you can get more stars right here.
    You can now get your fortune multiple times a day

They only say you can get your fortune multiple times, not stars of fortune
    and Star of Fortunes are now available in the Tarmalune Trade Bar store.

And finally here they detail how to get multiple stars. It's pretty clear what they meant if you take the time to read it how they wrote it. Now does that mean I like it? Not really. But as a free player I wasn't very impressed with the zenith anyway. Still I managed to get what I wanted so I'm happy. Hopefully next year they'll do a little better
    edited January 2014
    Yeah it makes sense that way, but it's poor wording and/or a misleading context.

I definitely thought you would get double stars off the quest and reading the original quote I know where it came from. Dissecting in hindsight is an easy task.
    edited January 2014
    elminster wrote: »
    Okay guys, let's take it easy. If you read it exactly as the mods wrote it, they never once imply that you'll get double star rewards

Okay, they're saying you can get more stars right here.

They only say you can get your fortune multiple times, not stars of fortune

And finally here they detail how to get multiple stars. It's pretty clear what they meant if you take the time to read it how they wrote it. Now does that mean I like it? Not really. But as a free player I wasn't very impressed with the zenith anyway. Still I managed to get what I wanted so I'm happy. Hopefully next year they'll do a little better

So an item about more stars.. more stars.. and not more stars right in the middle of those two? Yes. TOTALLY CLEAR. There's this awesome thing called context. Check it out sometime.
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1. Similar to the Summer Event you add a way to get stars/event items for those who can't login in game every 24 hours.You could do this since the event started,if you think like a Cryptic developer not PWE employee who "forces us to login every hour or 20h or 24h" if we want a special reward.
    (there are players who have children, animals to feed, a job so not everyone could login every 24h)

2. Well, better later than never . 5 stars for this decision/updates for the Cryptic Team.

3. How about fixing the Delve Chest reward in Throne of Idris epic dungeon ?

Edit: oh wait,i don't see another chance to get stars of fortune except the tarmalune trade bars :( like trading lights for a star :(( Like 200 Light of Simril = 1 Star of Fortune ?
    I really want a Mimic pet to see that chest following me everywhere :(

By the way i had a daily fortune star quest before the server' timer resets (took it 3 minutes before) , i completed after the new server resets and now i cant take the available daily anymore for the next 24h ...PLEASE do something about the timers bug..

I don't care about the Fawn, i want a Mimic pet :(...
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's also this wonderful thing called literal reading. A lot of companies will try to lure you with intentionally obscure or misleading information while at the same time stating exactly their intentions plain as day right in front of you. The whole idea is to get you excited to the point that you ignore the reality and jump instead to what you want the message to say. I grew up dealing with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that and have been countering it for so long it's automatic, but for someone who hasn't it can be hard. That's why companies do it.

Now was that the intention when the message was written? Probably not, no. It was more likely a quick message that a mod threw together at the end of the day so he/she could punch their ticket and go home to their family. They didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of time on it, so they made it short and sweet, and made it say exactly what was intended. It's not their fault people read what they wanted out of it and hyped it up as something more than what it was. There's nothing obscure, there's nothing implied. It's plain as day right in front of your eyes to be read, even when you put it back together in full context
  • thephoolthephool Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    elminster wrote: »
    There's also this wonderful thing called literal reading. A lot of companies will try to lure you with intentionally obscure or misleading information while at the same time stating exactly their intentions plain as day right in front of you. The whole idea is to get you excited to the point that you ignore the reality and jump instead to what you want the message to say. I grew up dealing with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that and have been countering it for so long it's automatic, but for someone who hasn't it can be hard. That's why companies do it.

Now was that the intention when the message was written? Probably not, no. It was more likely a quick message that a mod threw together at the end of the day so he/she could punch their ticket and go home to their family. They didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of time on it, so they made it short and sweet, and made it say exactly what was intended. It's not their fault people read what they wanted out of it and hyped it up as something more than what it was. There's nothing obscure, there's nothing implied. It's plain as day right in front of your eyes to be read, even when you put it back together in full context

The news post was abundantly clear that multiple fortunes per day would also mean multiple stars. Denying that in a ridiculous attempt to appear knowledgeable just makes you look silly and irrelevant.
  • khanthaskhanthas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What are the ring of lights for?
    Evil triumphs when good folk do nothing.
    Your toast is burn't and no amount of scrapping will remove the blackness!
This discussion has been closed.