test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me choose my companions

Comments

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wild hunt will not leave my active pet slot. It is always procing right before a big hit of either ss or shard due to coi and or steal time ticks.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Did you guys actually spend what... 1.250.000 AD for upgrading this greenery wild thing? And the 1500 Zen to get it?

For a damage increase in a game where you don't actually need it? Just curious.

Don't get me wrong I've spent lots of AD myself, but usually if I don't need it I won't spend it. Just my habits.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm assuming that wild hunt data is from dummy tests. which mean theres a higher uptime vs more mobs (but substantially less on single target)

some people had these pets prior to these changes, I for example had a galeb duhr (which is useless) and an epic blink dog on my GF... Some people just have excess AD to spare. Right now I have around 2 mill i could use to get a wild hunt rider (and upgrade it).

Or spend it on my soon to be 60 ranger.... hmm the choices.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Blink dog/Dancing Blade upgraded to purple. Fire Archon came with it fortunately. This Wild Hunt Rider also looks promising. Thank you for it.
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    I'm assuming that wild hunt data is from dummy tests. which mean theres a higher uptime vs more mobs (but substantially less on single target)

some people had these pets prior to these changes, I for example had a galeb duhr (which is useless) and an epic blink dog on my GF... Some people just have excess AD to spare. Right now I have around 2 mill i could use to get a wild hunt rider (and upgrade it).

I don't think AOE has any effect on Wild Hunt Rider. Testing was done on 3 target dummies, however it procs on encounter use, not on targets hit (as far as I know).
    edited December 2013

Excess AD? Sure it can happen :) In my case, not before I have perfects (SF upgrade needed), Rank 10s (lol.. this might take a year) and 3 legendary artifacts (haha, nice joke, yet another few months). Why? Because these are available in BOTH PvP and PvE.

I would actually give PvE priority, if we would have raids that were actually very challenging, where everyone must be in top shape.

However, no raids, only 1 challenging fight in the entire game for now in PvE, and I can do it with my less optimal setup.

I do admit I'm fully biased though against the 5 companions thing. I hated it passionately when they started the implementation and now I just despise it. It is one of the most obvious and shameful (cannot say what or my post will be gone) in the history of MMOs that I've seen, together with the introduction of artifacts.
  • jegerwulfjegerwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited December 2013
    Its on pet only....

ARGH!!! i need to get around to making a companion section in my guide.

But if your companion is a cat, does it pass it on to you?
  • focusmanfocusman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jegerwulf wrote: »
    But if your companion is a cat, does it pass it on to you?

No this is impossible. Otherwise everybody would want the boar companion with 50% crit severity.
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

http://nl.twitch.tv/wixardofoz
    edited December 2013
    So, with the Zen store updates, maybe I should buy something to replace my Wererat&green blink dog?

Any advice? I see the kobold and the wild hunt rider (**** it it's green :\) have increased damage percentage, so it might be useful.

Ideas?
    edited December 2013
    Wild hunt ride might be worth it, but i have no experience with that one. And maybe the will o wisp which is like a half lesser elven battle enchant.
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

• nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wisp
    Renegade Wizard
    Stone (or cat)
    Vicious Dire Wolf

and one of the following depending on your playstyle:
    Archon (more damage against dying enemies)
    Wild Hunt Rider (if you pay to up to purple its nice)
    Sylph (you spend less time on your back and more time dpsing)
    Blink Dog (you can't afford any companions and its a minor damage boost)
    edited December 2013
    I don't want/need more CC, just to make it clear :) Even when I run as alone CW. Only interested in best pure DPS companions.

Already have:

Stone
    Archon
    Dancing Blade
    Wererat (cause it was free)
    Blink Dog (cause it was free)

The wererat does lame Poison damage. In the test server it was way higher at one point, oh well.

The Blink Dog is CA boost, I'm not renegade, even tho' I usually position myself for CA.

Neither are upgraded.

I'd like to replace the last 2, the rat and the doggie.

The only companions I see with increases %DPS are the

Kobold
    Wild Hunt Rider

The Kobold would increase damage against rooted/stunned targets by 3%. Problem is, would this work in Steal Time/Shard, maybe even in Tabbed CoI? If yes, seems very good.

The rider is green, which is a mess, as I really don't want to spend on upgrading ANYTHING, I think costs are inflated and players should point it out by sabotaging the system :P
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I doubt whether Dancing Blade's active bonus is useful. On epic, it grants only +5% Critical Severity.

Given that one of your attack deals 5000 damage. With default Critical Severity (+75%), it is 5000 x 1.75 = 8750. After adding epic Dancing Blade's +5%, it is 5000 x 1.80 = 9000. The gain is only 250 in this case.
    edited December 2013
    I doubt whether Dancing Blade's active bonus is useful. On epic, it grants only +5% Critical Severity.

Given that one of your attack deals 5000 damage. With default Critical Severity (+75%), it is 5000 x 1.75 = 8750. After adding epic Dancing Blade's +5%, it is 5000 x 1.80 = 9000. The gain is only 250 in this case.

This is about what one perceives as usefulness. I for example consider that CWs have enough CC already and since most parties consist of at least 2 CWs, and other classes have some CC as well, I don't want to focus on more CC.

So the only things I can improve are damage and survivability. Survivability I can improve, in the only 2 cases where needed in PvE, with 2 rings and sometimes Shield on Mastery, if I'm not trusting the DC too much or I know I will have 10 charging wights on me.

So damage is the only other thing I can improve?

What are my options for improved damage, through companions? It's all I wanna know.

Dancing Blade is quite good BTW. 5% more crit severity accumulates, might seem a little from one spell cast, but after a few hundreds...
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That makes sense. Accumulation matters.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited December 2013
    Wisp - like a 3/3 orb of imposition
    Stone - cus stone (helps max out armor pen)
    Cantankerous Mage - like a 3/3 orb of imposition
    Phoera + Soulforged - oh I died, oh I'm alive and have bonus power and regen
    Were-rat - replaceable
    edited December 2013
    Well... in the end this is my companion list:

- stone
    - dancing blade
    - kobold
    - archon
    - galeb

Justification:

- Stone is self explanatory, I believe
    - dancing blade: more crit severity is just too good to pass on. I might even upgrade to epic if there will ever be a promo
    - archon: more damage especially on bosses and elites with lots of HP. Meh for most trash, but what else?
    - kobold: I'd really like to know how this truly works, it was a risk I took with it. It "increases the damage against rooted or stunned targets by 3%". Thing is, we don't really have a description for each spell and its effects. If this works with at least Steal Time, it is a winner. If it works with Icy Terrain, even better. Shard prone? It would be too good to be true. Would it work with other people spells as well? 3 CWs-->3 Steal Time... Need I say more?
    - galeb: from my understand, this would work even if you lose some health. I'm quite rarely at full HP. Even an increase of 1-2% would be significant, compared to how meager the other companions are. Also it is purple, so now I have 2 purple companions, maybe I'll upgrade the dancing blade/stone and try to win SCA, who knows :) However this will have to wait, I have all kinds of buyer's remorse because of PvE-only purchases, while my char still misses a 3rd artifact

Thanks for your posts, keep it coming if you have anything else that you found interesting :)
    edited January 2014
    Wild Hunt Rider at epic version....this companion wont leave one of my slots..best there is if you ask me.
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

edited January 2014
    1.250.000 for companion upgrades, +companion price...

This is a complete rip off.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Rider is bad at all, actually I wanted to buy it. But it's a mockery of a price together with the upgrades, so I'm "voting" with my in-game wallet and ignore this guy, even though I might end up not optimal.

What will I lose? Even if it's a 2 million dps loss in a CN run, I will gladly take it... instead of spending AD for it.

So many things have a ridiculous price in this game, companions&upgrades are pretty high among them.
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »

To be clear, I'm not saying the Rider is bad at all, actually I wanted to buy it. But it's a mockery of a price together with the upgrades, so I'm "voting" with my in-game wallet and ignore this guy, even though I might end up not optimal.

What will I lose? Even if it's a 2 million dps loss in a CN run, I will gladly take it... instead of spending AD for it.

So many things have a ridiculous price in this game, companions&upgrades are pretty high among them.

simple just dont upgrade :-) and live well
    edited January 2014

I know that you are an avid pvper and your reasoning makes sense. However, I would argue for those that min max for pve upgrading wild hunt is more important and just as costly as upgrading anything else that you will eventually upgrade but much more impactfull to your damage. It is that good. I made the gamble to put off upgrading my rank 8s in favor of getting wild hunt to epic and believe it was ad well spent. Then what do I know...I bought the wizard hat lol!
    edited January 2014
    niadan wrote: »
    I know that you are an avid pvper and your reasoning makes sense. However, I would argue for those that min max for pve upgrading wild hunt is more important and just as costly as upgrading anything else that you will eventually upgrade but much more impactfull to your damage. It is that good. I made the gamble to put off upgrading my rank 8s in favor of getting wild hunt to epic and believe it was ad well spent. Then what do I know...I bought the wizard hat lol!

Hell no man.

I just like both aspects of the game. I'm no pro PvPer haha. I just switch some rings and an artifact, put some different powers and there we go, PvP CW :P

It's not functioning optimal in either PvP or PvE but well, it is what it is until dual spec, if it ever comes.

I still spent BIG (IMO) for companions, so yeah. Just that the rider is crazy in price.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you're interested in more damage only, you may take a look at the vicious dire wolf. It's expensive but why not?
    edited January 2014
    I have the dire wolf but cant decide what I would give up to use it. I am currently running with stone, archon, wild hunt, dancing blade, and blink dog.
  • howdyyeowhowdyyeow Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2014
    Just curious, what's the active bonus for Wild Hunt Rider at epic version?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, got the answer from the previous pages of the thread.
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I'm running with:

Stone
    Fire Archon
    Wild Hunt Rider
    Dancing Blade
    Blink Dog
    edited January 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    If you're interested in more damage only, you may take a look at the vicious dire wolf. It's expensive but why not?

"5% chance to Interrupt your target"

I don't get it. How is this translating in more damage for me... I can see this indirectly, as in a bit more time for me to cast and less need to move, but I'm not interested in solo situations at all, since I can basically run from start to end in any lair and aoe all down at the gate to the boss, the luxuries of having a CW :P

Anyway, this is a bit of a moot point, since I don't intend to spend real money on this game, ever, because of certain "features" that I dislike.

I'm a bit puzzled nobody takes the kobold ("increases the damage against rooted or stunned targets by 3%") into account, given our rotation in dungeons, with shard hitting things after steal time or in icy terrain.
    Galeb seems a solid choice at Draco as well, because as a CW you are not standing at 100% HP 90% of the time, and even a 1% damage increase is good when we take into account how little the other companions do.
    edited January 2014
    howdyyeow wrote: »
    Just curious, what's the active bonus for Wild Hunt Rider at epic version?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, got the answer from the previous pages of the thread.

When it procs your encounters deal 10% more damage for 5 seconds. Steal Time and CoI proc it a lot..so your shard / oppressive / Sudden Storm can make really big numbers. For me as CW its the best companion out there.

But you need to get it to Epic, costs 1.250.000 AD. May sound much but it is worth it. It is better then a R10 or whatever. It is like having an extra feat with 3 points in it.
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "5% chance to Interrupt your target"

I don't get it. How is this translating in more damage for me... I can see this indirectly, as in a bit more time for me to cast and less need to move, but I'm not interested in solo situations at all, since I can basically run from start to end in any lair and aoe all down at the gate to the boss, the luxuries of having a CW :P

Anyway, this is a bit of a moot point, since I don't intend to spend real money on this game, ever, because of certain "features" that I dislike.

I'm a bit puzzled nobody takes the kobold ("increases the damage against rooted or stunned targets by 3%") into account, given our rotation in dungeons, with shard hitting things after steal time or in icy terrain.
    Galeb seems a solid choice at Draco as well, because as a CW you are not standing at 100% HP 90% of the time, and even a 1% damage increase is good when we take into account how little the other companions do.

Well yes interrupting a target means more casting time, you got it. :)

The kobold is really meh because targets never stay stunned, as soon as someone starts hitting them they release, so you have 1 shot at most on a few targets (because you're not alone), which is a very tiny upgrade in comparison to an interrupt imo.

That's just my opinion though and i fully respect your views about the features you dislike - I have mine (p2w features via coalescent wards) and only spent money for one companion during the sale so far (the will o whisp).
  • thorny911thorny911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pers3phone,

I have the Wild Hunt Rider and it's green. It procs constantly with CoI, IT, ST Shard etc. All these moves have multiple hits. Honestly I don't see the need to upgrade it yet but I suppose there will be a time where AD has to go somewhere. I would put the Wild Hunt Rider in and take Fire Archon out. Put in Archon for Bosses as you can't stun/root most if any or to make it easier just always use Archon instead of Kobold.