What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW PvP - A Joke?

Comments

• hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    kaoswp wrote: »
    I see this a lot /:

I don't want to spend any money, I don't want to join a pvp guild, I don't want to learn how to build a pvp toon.. But I do expect everyone to treat me with respect and will get upset when I get trolled.

We also see a lot of "I pay money, I joined a pvp guild, I learned how to build a pvp toon with R10s and perfects, so I deserve respect".

But yes, I get what you are saying.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • k1ll3xk1ll3x Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2013
    snotty wrote: »
    BS, simply BS. I can name 2 games in the past where PvP though a major part of the game was pretty much a moot point and yet the games survived. If PvP is such an important aspect to every MMO as you suggest then may you can explain these to me.

1. PWI has(when I played) 4 servers, 2 PvE and 2 PVP. By the time I stopped playing the game the PvP servers where all but dead while the PvE servers were packed with players.

2.VCO was an open PK game and yet (by the players own doing) the only PvP to be found in the game was in the arena. So much so that when a group of friends decided to join the game, make their own guild and PK as they please they ended up being hunted by the entire server until they calmed down their antics and started to play they way everyone else played.

So to sit there and act like a game can not survive without PvP is just a lie. Which also begs the question that very few PvPers ever give a reasonable answer to which is. If you want to PvP so much then why not play a PvP based game instead of coming to a PvE based game and complaining that there isn't enough PvP. Its like going to a burger joint and complaining because you cant get chicken.
    BS, simply BS.

1. PWI was popular at the same timespan as L2 and WoW were prosperous, both heavily PvP based games. And I can say for sure, the only players who were enjoying PWI at that moment were those casual low-skills who have been stomped to crying in L2 and WoW. Many of my friends, IRL and in-game throughout the world, with whom I was conquering castles and raiding dragons in L2, tried PWI before or after L2, and all concluded that this game is 100% for carebears and non-factors. Not to mention its specific design. Let's put it clear, the game was in no way majorly PvP based as u tried to say.

2. VCO? what the f**k is VCO? U mention some game that even google struggles to find and claim that it can be a justification of ur point. It's clear that this game was not popular at all and got extinct by now. 3.5 men who played this game can't be any proof of ur point for any sane player. And I'm 100% sure that it has same PvP attitude as PWI.

If u could read (which u couldn't it seems), u would have read that even devs admitted PvP had become important part of this game. The only thing that makes u yell that this is PvE game is that it is DnD based. But again u r wrong. DnD part in this game was never stronger then mainstream MMO part. Not to mention huge players interest in PvP of this game.

It's funny you don't mention any big titles, such as L2, WoW, Aion, Rift, RO, etc., practically all of which exist since early 2000-s till present and all of which heavily PvP based. Go on with ur funny claims, I always appreciate clowns.
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It takes grinding, either pve or pvp (but pve for the better end result). Most people with full time jobs can't get a full set overnight.

Which means getting ROFLstomped in pvp if you decide to brave it in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear.

It's only grinding if you need to do something you don't want to do. Here is an idea PVP results in getting gear for PVP and PVE results in getting gear for PVE and Professions can do either. Of course in NW the only difference should be visual as they don't have that stat that's only useful to PVP players.

It's crazy that I need to go crawling through Dungeons over and over again just to get gear so I can PVP. Ridiculous! and why is the professions gear always <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in every mmo? Although it may differ in NW. Not got that far yet, but I have my doubts.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Truth be told, the PvP gearing up is less 'expensive' than PvE gearing up. The true cost lies in the enchantments, that cost tons of AD. Meaning that if you decide to stay out of PvE then you need to find a way to get AD without selling unbound gear that you don't want.

As you understand, when a Rank 10 enchant costs 5-8million AD you either need to farm dungeons for months just to get one or find a shortcut. So, the clear problem with PvP is that people who found the shortcut and decided to get 8 R10s, Perfect enchants and the BiS gear with 3 epic artifacts overnight, are in a completely different level with people that work for it in a grinding mode.

I know life's not fair and all, but the gap in PvP is so huge that I don't think that anybody in his right mind will withstand getting roflstomped for 6-8 months while getting his gear enchanted...

Bottomline, the PvP itself is not problematic. The matchmaking system is. The games between good geared people are amazing and very very interesting. The games between godly geared people vs good geared people are one sided and end up in slaughter and rage quits.

I've been in WoW's Arena for more than 6 years with a quite good rating (2300+ for those who know the numbers), and I got to say that I loved facing equally skilled people and the challenges will keep me interested and constantly up to date (gear/build etc).

If such a matchmaking system existed here ,people who want to PvP in the top tiers will do so against other people that want to do the same, and they won't even care to join the queue against hopeless PuGs forcing ragequits and stupid games.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know life's not fair and all, but the gap in PvP is so huge that I don't think that anybody in his right mind will withstand getting roflstomped for 6-8 months while getting his gear enchanted...

Well even that was acceptable IMO...

... if by the time you caught up in 6 months, there would not be ANOTHER module with ANOTHER stuff to farm for.

So, happy you farmed for your rank 8s and BiS gear and Perfects? **** that took a LOOOOOONG while. Finally done with this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Say what?

Nah... back to farming with you, now level 3 artifacts, get 5 companions and level&upgrade them.

"Oh, OK, it's just a bit more farming. Right?"

Well, no. There's nowhere to farm efficiently now and you can barely sell your loot from places such as CN, cause it is obviously so **** expensive for newer people.

All of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> combines to make a bad gaming experience.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »

... if by the time you caught up in 6 months, there would not be ANOTHER module with ANOTHER stuff to farm for.

So, happy you farmed for your rank 8s and BiS gear and Perfects? **** that took a LOOOOOONG while. Finally done with this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Say what?

Nah... back to farming with you, now level 3 artifacts, get 5 companions and level&upgrade them.

Well, no. There's nowhere to farm efficiently now and you can barely sell your loot from places such as CN, cause it is obviously so **** expensive for newer people.

All of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> combines to make a bad gaming experience.

swordcoast adventures to level up companions.
    Artifacts can be ranked up on all the excess enchantments you had stacked up for the old system. Or buy a stack of 99 off the AH and go nuts.

Heck, my DC has decent purple gear. No set bonus, but he can still stand up in standard pvp. If I had r10s and perfects and stuff, he'd be even tougher. So it doesn't take much more than about 30k AD to get purples with r5s enchants and that makes you at least able to stand a chance in most pvp scenarios.
  • k1ll3xk1ll3x Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    Artifacts can be ranked up on all the excess enchantments you had stacked up for the old system. Or buy a stack of 99 off the AH and go nuts.

Heck, my DC has decent purple gear. No set bonus, but he can still stand up in standard pvp. If I had r10s and perfects and stuff, he'd be even tougher. So it doesn't take much more than about 30k AD to get purples with r5s enchants and that makes you at least able to stand a chance in most pvp scenarios.
    1. GL with that way of leveling artifacts. And u forgot to mention u now need marks, 1 blue quality mark is ~750k (cant say for sure, checked AH long ago). Now u can go nuts.
    2. a) u cant buy any purple gear for all slots with r5 for 30k. b) I like how guys who pvp only for daily come to forums and say "Yea Im stomping pvp in my bad gear, skill matters not gear, u all suck."
  • inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People asking for some queue system based on GS etc are delusional btw. Your game is not as popular as you think, further to that your PvP is not as popular as you think. Now take your smaller player pool than you realize and split it even more into tiny pools based on GS? Yeah...you're queues are going to be nice and long and/or you'll see the same people every game.

Sounds great on paper, but in practice I assure you that it won't work well.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    k1ll3x wrote: »
    BS, simply BS.

1. PWI was popular at the same timespan as L2 and WoW were prosperous, both heavily PvP based games. And I can say for sure, the only players who were enjoying PWI at that moment were those casual low-skills who have been stomped to crying in L2 and WoW. Many of my friends, IRL and in-game throughout the world, with whom I was conquering castles and raiding dragons in L2, tried PWI before or after L2, and all concluded that this game is 100% for carebears and non-factors. Not to mention its specific design. Let's put it clear, the game was in no way majorly PvP based as u tried to say.

2. VCO? what the f**k is VCO? U mention some game that even google struggles to find and claim that it can be a justification of ur point. It's clear that this game was not popular at all and got extinct by now. 3.5 men who played this game can't be any proof of ur point for any sane player. And I'm 100% sure that it has same PvP attitude as PWI.

If u could read (which u couldn't it seems), u would have read that even devs admitted PvP had become important part of this game. The only thing that makes u yell that this is PvE game is that it is DnD based. But again u r wrong. DnD part in this game was never stronger then mainstream MMO part. Not to mention huge players interest in PvP of this game.

It's funny you don't mention any big titles, such as L2, WoW, Aion, Rift, RO, etc., practically all of which exist since early 2000-s till present and all of which heavily PvP based. Go on with ur funny claims, I always appreciate clowns.

Just so you know, replies like that(in that tone) is the reason why the majority of people absolutely hate pvp and even though they enjoy it themself, will do whatever they can to keep it from being the main focus of the game...

On topic, i would love some more pvp in this game, however the P2W approach have in my opinion made any kind of balanced pvp impossible...
  • djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    It's only grinding if you need to do something you don't want to do. Here is an idea PVP results in getting gear for PVP and PVE results in getting gear for PVE and Professions can do either. Of course in NW the only difference should be visual as they don't have that stat that's only useful to PVP players.

It's crazy that I need to go crawling through Dungeons over and over again just to get gear so I can PVP. Ridiculous! and why is the professions gear always <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in every mmo? Although it may differ in NW. Not got that far yet, but I have my doubts.

Blame Wow tbh, before wow crafting was something only a selected few(read: people with infinite paitent) did to the max level, after wow introduced the Automatic crafting process, crafting more or less became pointless.
  • halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Getting the best enchants is near-impossible without sinking absurd amounts of time (into PVE) or spending $$$. Call it grind, call it p2w. The point is that it should not be the norm in PVP
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »

- bad idea the minigame. I can go AoE foundry and level anything fast

But.

Who will pay 5x1.000.000 AD to upgrade all I need (as an average). This is 5.000.000 for companion upgrades alone, almost as high as a perfect enchantment, it's dumb and insane.

Buy 99 stacks of the AH.

Sure, I did. But how much AD you think people have to buy them again and again for 3 artifacts? Legendary costs are around 10.000.000 AD, again, INSANE.

30K AD for purples? You gotta be joking. Only the armor set might set you back 1.5-2 mils.

Rank 5s to stand a chance? Against what? Badly geared pugs?

Not to mention that you need wep/armor enchants, at least normal versions if you intend to be decent.

Keep in mind, all of these things are for you to work for and farm, and what do you know, farming is no longer effective in the game.

So you will eternally play catch up with the guys who by now have all Legendary artifacts rank 10s and perfects. When the next module hits, with new gear and new stuff you need to farm for, you will still be behind, considering the costs.
  • invalidobjectinvalidobject Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    What would improve things without much work is changing the scoring system. Right now it values point capping far too highly and the result is you get players being really stupid from a big picture perspective because they all think individually that being greedy and capping the far point is the smarter move for them personally.

Capping the far point is how you win PvP in NW. You don't cap it, you don't keep the other team from accumulating points. I couldn't care less about getting the 300 pts for the actual capping of the cap. You're job as a regen GWF or TR is to keep that point contested at all times.
  • ikeepit3hunnaikeepit3hunna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    are you sure about that?

even if it was true (and i assure you, it is not) forum demographics do not represent a game's overall demographics since statistically, only a small percentage of a game's player base visit the forums. one could assume that based on the complaints about pvp in the forums, that of the "vocal minority" more pvp'ers spend their time here hoping to better pvp with their feedback.

thus far, neverwinter has been pve focused. what is offered in the future still remains to be seen.

there's nothing wrong with wanting more pvp content. i'm confident that it's coming. but if it was me, i wouldn't hold the bar too high.

If neverwinter is pve focused then y are there no raids, and every dungeon is basicaly a joke let's just put a bunch of adds on a map, add a few graphics, then a few weak bosses with more adds, and after those adds are gone moar adds. Using no glitches I find dungeons to be a grind and not a real challenge. And everything is bop so gg if u expected profit. So this game has almost no pvp content and very bad pve content. U find 90% of the veteran players with gear either logged off or jumping around enclave... if module 3 is a thread short of spectacular then I see a playerbase decline in the future.
    U R 2 E Z- SENT IV GWF undefeated 16k GS
    FaceRoller- regen recovery TR (put on the shelf for now) 14k GS
    Supreme CHAOS - IV GF (put on the shelf for now) 16k GS
    White Khalifa- tene/hp/regen CW (retired) 11k GS (tene)
    Death From Above- TANK ranger 16kGS
    (all halfling everything)

Proud rank 6 of: <Enemy Team>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Capping the far point is how you win PvP in NW. You don't cap it, you don't keep the other team from accumulating points. I couldn't care less about getting the 300 pts for the actual capping of the cap. You're job as a regen GWF or TR is to keep that point contested at all times.

Yet in 90% of all pug matches I must backcap with my CW, while my whole team are either fighting 4 vs 1 a perma or GWF at home, or stuck on mid in a completely chaotic exchange.

Telling your mates that they gotta backcap and even explaining what the hell that is will do nothing as well.

Then again, if I queue with friends that know to play and what to do, the enemy team leaves 90% of the cases cause they end up farmed below spawn point.

So all that is left are lucky matchups or premades, each happening very rarely. Rest is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    edited December 2013

Say what?

2 modules later and I'm still using gear that was from vanilla game, so you don't need that much additional farming with new mods bar the boons. And the prices being high is good, cn is basically bis and if it was cheap that's gg to the whole econemy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    2 modules later and I'm still using gear that was from vanilla game, so you don't need that much additional farming with new mods bar the boons. And the prices being high is good, cn is basically bis and if it was cheap that's gg to the whole econemy

I have rank 8s, perfect vorpal/greater SF, 5 companions 1 green one 1 epic rest blue, 2 epic artifacts.

Yet I have SERIOUS doubts I can get to 3 legendary artifacts and all Rank 10s+perfect SF+Epic companions until new module arrives.

The gear itself is the easiest part we all know that.

As for CN, good for whom? You? Me? The elites that have enough gear to farm and sell high?

What about the newcomers?
    edited December 2013
    If neverwinter is pve focused then y are there no raids, and every dungeon is basicaly a joke let's just put a bunch of adds on a map, add a few graphics, then a few weak bosses with more adds, and after those adds are gone moar adds. Using no glitches I find dungeons to be a grind and not a real challenge. And everything is bop so gg if u expected profit. So this game has almost no pvp content and very bad pve content. U find 90% of the veteran players with gear either logged off or jumping around enclave... if module 3 is a thread short of spectacular then I see a playerbase decline in the future.

Congrats, you've downloaded a F2P MMO. Nothing new here.

edited December 2013
    Getting the best enchants is near-impossible without sinking absurd amounts of time (into PVE) or spending $$$. Call it grind, call it p2w. The point is that it should not be the norm in PVP

That's what I'm saying. In NW it is a grind. If we could just PVP to get it then it wouldn't be. That is why gear should have a PVP stat, to keep people that don't want to PVP away. same with PVE.

and another point:
    I think this is where most rudeness comes from. People not doing what they want to do. Saying it is all PVP players that are rude is very nieve. I have been in many a PVE dungeon and been with someone rude, and didn't the term ninja used for greedy *** come from PVE? Just saying. It is annoying that PVP gets thought of in this way and it is accepted. I for one see no more rudeness in PVP that you do in PVE, people are just rude. It's the internet.
    edited December 2013
    I have rank 8s, perfect vorpal/greater SF, 5 companions 1 green one 1 epic rest blue, 2 epic artifacts.

Yet I have SERIOUS doubts I can get to 3 legendary artifacts and all Rank 10s+perfect SF+Epic companions until new module arrives.

The gear itself is the easiest part we all know that.

As for CN, good for whom? You? Me? The elites that have enough gear to farm and sell high?

What about the newcomers?

Legen artifacts are pointless u only need 1 max. I have the cash for 10 but I only have 1. They aren't worth it. As for enchants the diference from rank 8 to 10 really is small imo. I could run the exact same build to the same efficiency with rank 8s. Losing 2% arp 2% crit who cares. And what's the point of other gear when the best is cheap.it lowers the immersion and progression of the game. I remember when I used that icesharddagger before I could buy cn. If cn is 100k ad then every pug and their cousin will be bis which makes no sense. When I was a new player I worked my way up from 2k ad to 8mil. It just takes time and dedication. All these pugs want results with no work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    That's what I'm saying. In NW it is a grind. If we could just PVP to get it then it wouldn't be. That is why gear should have a PVP stat, to keep people that don't want to PVP away. same with PVE.

and another point:
    I think this is where most rudeness comes from. People not doing what they want to do. Saying it is all PVP players that are rude is very nieve. I have been in many a PVE dungeon and been with someone rude, and didn't the term ninja used for greedy *** come from PVE? Just saying. It is annoying that PVP gets thought of in this way and it is accepted. I for one see no more rudeness in PVP that you do in PVE, people are just rude. It's the internet.

Pretty much this. Very good post. But I do have to admit. The neverwinter pvp community is THE WORST pvp community I've ever seen on any mmo I've played. I've never seen so many cry babies and whiners in my life its absurd..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Congrats, you've downloaded a F2P MMO. Nothing new here.

I've played many f2p mmo with good content that lasted years due to the pvp and raid comunities booming and keeping the players in the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    I've played many f2p mmo with good content that lasted years due to the pvp and raid comunities booming and keeping the players in the game.

Name some please.

edited December 2013
    Legen artifacts are pointless u only need 1 max. I have the cash for 10 but I only have 1. They aren't worth it. As for enchants the diference from rank 8 to 10 really is small imo. I could run the exact same build to the same efficiency with rank 8s. Losing 2% arp 2% crit who cares. And what's the point of other gear when the best is cheap.it lowers the immersion and progression of the game. I remember when I used that icesharddagger before I could buy cn. If cn is 100k ad then every pug and their cousin will be bis which makes no sense. When I was a new player I worked my way up from 2k ad to 8mil. It just takes time and dedication. All these pugs want results with no work

I still think we should help newcomers a bit and make things easier for them. I had it easy with 30 mins CN runs, many had it even easier with BoE epics you could sell, been through that period a bit as well, was much more convenient than these days. So maybe they deserve some help along the way to catch up faster. Doesn't mean they have to be handed BiS freely.

Unrelated: how come you retired the CW, it was awesome? I wanted to ask before, just send me a PM if you want :)
    edited December 2013
    I still think we should help newcomers a bit and make things easier for them. I had it easy with 30 mins CN runs, many had it even easier with BoE epics you could sell, been through that period a bit as well, was much more convenient than these days. So maybe they deserve some help along the way to catch up faster. Doesn't mean they have to be handed BiS freely.

Unrelated: how come you retired the CW, it was awesome? I wanted to ask before, just send me a PM if you want :)

True but if they make things boe with this manypeople farming that's gg econemy. Its hard to please everyone. And as for my cw... well I thought I was very good at it. Then alt from ls layed me out. But now that he's gone.... maybe the throne is open again :P? But there's a lot of new cws in my guild, it would take a little effort to get my skill back and a good build. Sorry for the off topic on forum but I can't pm atm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Pretty much this. Very good post. But I do have to admit. The neverwinter pvp community is THE WORST pvp community I've ever seen on any mmo I've played. I've never seen so many cry babies and whiners in my life its absurd..

So you didn't PVP in WoW? :)
    edited December 2013
    at least PvP in WoW had variety...

:(
    edited December 2013

Very true. I think that comes from the frustration that is PVP in NW, the combat is so good. The maps... there is much to moan about.
    edited December 2013
    uhh.. you had 2 maps. warsong or the other one. (been a while.)

You could log for the AV, which took a lot of people being willing to go into and lucky if you got decent group.

Otherwise.. Arena? Which.. isn't variety, it's 1 room that you chase each other around in playing tag.

After what? 3 years? (YEARS) they added the new map with the single cap flag? NWO Isn't even 1 year old.
    edited December 2013
    There are at least 5 maps that I remember, probably more now, and a bunch of arena maps. There's also a good number of game modes, which is far more important.