test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NW PvP - A Joke?

lexusorlexusor Member Posts: 32
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
First of all, I don't see a reason why people are complaining about class or gear imbalances in PvP because it's the same for any other MMORPG, where it depends on the character's equipment, builds, etc. So if you want "fair" PvP, go play some MOBA games.

Moving on, PvP in NW with it's current state is somewhat screwed.

Here's some reasons why from a casual PUG PvPer perspective.

1. Two Maps, One Mode

Excluding GG, there is that Hotenow Domination and the Rivenscar Ruins, both being stupidly small for there to be any "fun", with BiS mounts making things worst as players can reach their destination within lesser than 10s, MAX.

The destination? It's either point 1,2 or 3, due to the one and only Dominion style PvP mode and it's hilarious how any strategy is involved in this bs. What's even better is that sometimes in PUGs four sitting ducks are immediately glued together on the base point while a player Rambos in the middle point and obviously end up dying. That defines PvP, totally.

Apologies to those players who find this fun, because I would rather focus on targetting enemy players instead of being stationary on a point with some moron(s).

2. No 1-1/Open World PvP

Only way to enter PvP is through Queue system, which is rather dumb. Although some players do 1v1 in these instanced <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it's better to have a duel system or a Free For All PvP map.

3. PvP... for what?

To train teamwork, skill or self satisfaction? Rofl.

After you've geared up your character, what's the point of getting Glory? To get more rough AD/gold or let them waste inventory space? At least there's PvP pots to help players who PvP endlessly, so good job on that one.

I almost forgot about the Achievements system, which is hardly noticeable tbh. If you want to award titles, at least provide minor stat bonuses instead of a completely useless title under some virtual name.

4. No penalties for leaving, AFK or poor play.

You can report bugs and request GM help, but you cannot report a player for quitting when losing, staying by the campfire while team carries or moving around the map aimlessly? Wow.

Due to this most of the PUG PvP are usually one-sided, and it's ironic how some premade groups find this bored and continue doing it over and over.

5. No rankings/premade queues.

Nothing much to elaborate here since mentioned by other players.

6. No PvP-related events, at all.

New lockboxes, fashion items, whatever it is which has nothing to do with PvP.

Not those type of player-organized events, but official events like the upcoming "Winter Festival", where it's probably the same lame process;

1. Kill some monsters and do some daily quests
2. Collect random shet
3. Exchange random shet for random <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
4. Repeat 1-3 for duration of event
5. Event ends
6. Wait days/months
7. New event starts
8. Repeat 1-6
Post edited by lexusor on

Comments

• Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tell me again the part where Neverwinter was advertised as being extremely PvP oriented and cutting edge PvP action?
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    dreginktdreginkt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hah, I should have read this before writing my post. Now it looks like I did a copy and paste. I'm on board with you, there needs to be some serious additions to their existing content. They have excellent game play with the exception of some missing commands like the shift click player name and the confusion between handles and character names but yes, I agree with your points.
  • Options
    greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    agree with everything and as i said pvp makes a game last for ever so if cryptic wants us here for good they must implement all those that you say soon
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    greekstud wrote: »
    agree with everything and as i said pvp makes a game last for ever so if cryptic wants us here for good they must implement all those that you say soon

Actually I'd say that pvp brings in an abusive type of gamer and that all games would be better off with no pvp mode.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Tell me again the part where Neverwinter was advertised as being extremely PvP oriented and cutting edge PvP action?

Sorry Missy/Mister, was busy at work.

You're right, NW is more PvE focused than PvP.

So what? Look at majority of the forum posts, it's about PvP. Wanna know why?

Its because players prefer to have CHALLENGE and SUSPENSE competing with other players rather than KILLING the same A.I MONSTERS which are EASY and REPETITIVE.

I could start another thread about the mundane PvE if you want.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lexusor wrote: »
    So what? Look at majority of the forum posts, it's about PvP.

are you sure about that?

even if it was true (and i assure you, it is not) forum demographics do not represent a game's overall demographics since statistically, only a small percentage of a game's player base visit the forums. one could assume that based on the complaints about pvp in the forums, that of the "vocal minority" more pvp'ers spend their time here hoping to better pvp with their feedback.

thus far, neverwinter has been pve focused. what is offered in the future still remains to be seen.

there's nothing wrong with wanting more pvp content. i'm confident that it's coming. but if it was me, i wouldn't hold the bar too high.
  • Options
    k1ll3xk1ll3x Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2013
    1. Velasquez said that despite the fact this game was not originally extremely PvP oriented, in future module (i.e. mod. 2) they will bring up new PvP opportuinities and so on. He said he's glad most players liked PvP part of the game and they will be constantly developing it.
    2. In an MMO game with action combat system, there should be a decent PvP part. PvE-ing is only interesting for so long. And the main goal of PvE-ing is reaching some level of equipment which can be used in ... PvP. Competing vs other players is the main source of interest in every online game. Of course u can farm for farm, as many players do, or stroke ur e-peen in PE, showing off ur gear to amazed casuals. But holding attention of big playerbase cant be reached with only these. You can look at game population now. Most of decent players left, and the ones who stayed are mostly players who are leveling and equipping their 3672564 alt. toon and the others who are still struggling to complete their T2 gear cuz of broken PvE and their own extreme casualness.
    More PvP options could bring competitiveness and diversity into gameplay without much development involved.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    are you sure about that?

even if it was true (and i assure you, it is not) forum demographics do not represent a game's overall demographics since statistically, only a small percentage of a game's player base visit the forums. one could assume that based on the complaints about pvp in the forums, that of the "vocal minority" more pvp'ers spend their time here hoping to better pvp with their feedback.

thus far, neverwinter has been pve focused. what is offered in the future still remains to be seen.

there's nothing wrong with wanting more pvp content. i'm confident that it's coming. but if it was me, i wouldn't hold the bar too high.

Not much of a forumster myself, so take it that I'm wrong.

Despite not being the main focus of the game, PvP remains an important aspect which cannot be neglected.

PvE focused? Exploitable dungeons and repetitive skirmishes might appeal to others, but not me, sorry.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Don't let me previous post fool you, I'm a PvP'er mostly these days and I would enjoy more PvP content.

That being said I get tired of the same posts in different MMO threads about how people are demanding more PvP etc etc when a game was clearly not designed to be PvP from the ground up. PvP in most games was added later in development as a side thing, not a main focus.

Then they always demand these grand massive sweeping changes as if they can be done overnight. The gaming industry is not a good place, it's usually understaffed, overworked and underpaid when it comes to the actual dev team. It takes a long time to make new stuff, balance things etc. It's just annoying and slightly aggravating to read these posts game after game.

• Options
    slezkislezki Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    Couldn't agree more with your post lex!!!!

melodywhr wrote: »
    are you sure about that?

I do agree on everything that you say but i think devs are missunderstanding 1 thing.

The PvP'ers ain't asking for some big patch just for us.
    We just simply need a new que system.

If the devs would add that id assure you 95% of the forum complaints within pvp would be gone for atleast 6 months.

You would lose everything from "dc is imballanced" too "omg pvp is broken".

I really do enjoy the game but right now 90% of the people i know are on ts/facebook/vent waiting for a premade challange.

Only time most of the geared players pvp now is when they are getting experience with a alt or trying out a new build.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Please reply too this again when you have more then 1 month experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    slezki wrote: »
    Please reply too this again when you have more then 1 month experience.

I'm sorry is something I said not true? Is a game based on DUNGEONS & DRAGONS not a PvE game with a small PvP game tacked onto it? Did I miss the part on steam where it said it was designed as a PvP game from the ground up with PvE for leveling only?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm sorry is something I said not true? Is a game based on DUNGEONS & DRAGONS not a PvE game with a small PvP game tacked onto it? Did I miss the part on steam where it said it was designed as a PvP game from the ground up with PvE for leveling only?

This still ain't as the rest of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS games.

This is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game.

And like in any MMORPG pvp is one of the main roles for holding a MMORPG alive as thats the main focus of the players who got all the gear needed.

You will understand when you have played for 4-5 months and got ur rank 8's and 9s+.

I don't mind PVE i LOVE PVE, but as most pve'rs I know it rly ain't as satisfying too only do that.

If they would improve raids or something they might hang on too them.

But I'm used in frostbringer too have 10+ online with everyone skilled more then anything too 2-3+ online due too people swapping too other games cause of no challange on NW.

I do understand that PVE is not the main focus but still then there should be more then 3 lategame dungeons with a total of 9 bosses who really ain't any challange.

PVP is a easy way too make the hardcore gamers stay, and its the hardcore gamers who pay2win who brings most of the zen too the table.

Now even tho the P2W players most likely have their gear on their main still, they would spend even more on their alts as they know what struggle they did too get the gear on their main.

And the hardcore gamers ain't asking for a drastic change, they are asking for a simple que system like "Epic Spider" "Epic PVP"
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This still ain't as the rest of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS games.

This is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game.

And like in any MMORPG pvp is one of the main roles for holding a MMORPG alive as thats the main focus of the players who got all the gear needed.

You will understand when you have played for 4-5 months and got ur rank 8's and 9s+.

I don't mind PVE i LOVE PVE, but as most pve'rs I know it rly ain't as satisfying too only do that.

If they would improve raids or something they might hang on too them.

But I'm used in frostbringer too have 10+ online with everyone skilled more then anything too 2-3+ online due too people swapping too other games cause of no challange on NW.

I do understand that PVE is not the main focus but still then there should be more then 3 lategame dungeons with a total of 9 bosses who really ain't any challange.

PVP is a easy way too make the hardcore gamers stay, and its the hardcore gamers who pay2win who brings most of the zen too the table.

Now even tho the P2W players most likely have their gear on their main still, they would spend even more on their alts as they know what struggle they did too get the gear on their main.

And the hardcore gamers ain't asking for a drastic change, they are asking for a simple que system like "Epic Spider" "Epic PVP"

Why do you keep talking to me like I don't know anything about an MMO because I haven't played it for a month? Every MMO has these problems, they need content. This isn't new and this isn't specific to NW.

The problem is the players who keep trying to make non PvP based games become PvP based and get bent out of shape because the overworked dev team can't give them everything they want. Next module is supposedly going to give PvP attention, awesome. I wouldn't expect a F2P MMO game to have very fast development of anything though, let alone PvP content when it's not a PvP game.

You want to fix PvP and make more players get into it then fix 1-59 PvP because it is seriously going to turn off new players and shrink the pool even more. Things to fix:

-Deserter debuffs when people leave matches

-Queue system that actually replaces a player when one leaves instead of leaving the team 4v5, 3v5 etc

-Enchantments have gear level restrictions. Twinking needs to die in a fire. It has nothing but a negative impact on PvP.

-Sub 60 gear sets or gear pieces to buy. I would PvP far more often as a means of leveling if I knew that I wouldn't be gimping my gear severely and eventually having to stop to go PvE to improve at all.

Do these things and new players would get hooked into PvP, your player pool would expand and the Devs would have more people asking for more PvP and possibly then you'd get more dev time.

• Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gear imbalances make pvp obviously unfair. If that isn't solved its garbage anyway. No one would start a counterstrike match if one team started with aks, an awp and full armour and the other side got p2000s but somehow the equivalent is supposed to be ok here, nah it really isn't. Anyone who plays a lot of pvp games knows this already.

The servers seem to be running at like 5 ticks on top of that which just isn't acceptable for any pvp game. I'm as much worried about what the server notices the players doing as I am about what the players are doing

A queue system and ranking system would be nice but without the above getting fixed its nonsense anyway.

What would improve things without much work is changing the scoring system. Right now it values point capping far too highly and the result is you get players being really stupid from a big picture perspective because they all think individually that being greedy and capping the far point is the smarter move for them personally.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Why do you keep talking to me like I don't know anything about an MMO because I haven't played it for a month? Every MMO has these problems, they need content. This isn't new and this isn't specific to NW.

The problem is the players who keep trying to make non PvP based games become PvP based and get bent out of shape because the overworked dev team can't give them everything they want. Next module is supposedly going to give PvP attention, awesome. I wouldn't expect a F2P MMO game to have very fast development of anything though, let alone PvP content when it's not a PvP game.

You want to fix PvP and make more players get into it then fix 1-59 PvP because it is seriously going to turn off new players and shrink the pool even more. Things to fix:

-Deserter debuffs when people leave matches

-Queue system that actually replaces a player when one leaves instead of leaving the team 4v5, 3v5 etc

-Enchantments have gear level restrictions. Twinking needs to die in a fire. It has nothing but a negative impact on PvP.

-Sub 60 gear sets or gear pieces to buy. I would PvP far more often as a means of leveling if I knew that I wouldn't be gimping my gear severely and eventually having to stop to go PvE to improve at all.

Do these things and new players would get hooked into PvP, your player pool would expand and the Devs would have more people asking for more PvP and possibly then you'd get more dev time.

I do respect people trying too come with usefull post, but right now ur just stating stuff too get yourself the advantage of 0 pvp buffs for no reason, maybe your not good enugh in reaction pvp wise hence why you don't want pvp buffed.

But all the top pvp guilds wants are premade ques so they don't have too bash people like you in their games.

Its a waste of time and pointless.

And the only real change needed is too stop letting em que with people like you who basicly destroy my free time due too no challange.

You have 2000 players+ who would dream for this.

Id wish a dev would come with a a voting pool in the next small patch.

I do know that there is coming more pvp soon.

But the sad thing is more and more of the people i pvp/pve with keep quitting due too no challange after you have done it all.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lexusor wrote: »
    3. PvP... for what?

To train teamwork, skill or self satisfaction? Rofl.

After you've geared up your character, what's the point of getting Glory? To get more rough AD/gold or let them waste inventory space? At least there's PvP pots to help players who PvP endlessly, so good job on that one.

I almost forgot about the Achievements system, which is hardly noticeable tbh. If you want to award titles, at least provide minor stat bonuses instead of a completely useless title under some virtual name.

I got this far and stopped reading..

People who PvP regularly and enjoy PvP...Do it because it is fun to fight another thinking human being. That is it. It is challenging...(sometimes). That is the only reason anyone needs to do PvP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I do respect people trying too come with usefull post, but right now ur just stating stuff too get yourself the advantage of 0 pvp buffs for no reason, maybe your not good enugh in reaction pvp wise hence why you don't want pvp buffed.

But all the top pvp guilds wants are premade ques so they don't have too bash people like you in their games.

Its a waste of time and pointless.

And the only real change needed is too stop letting em que with people like you who basicly destroy my free time due too no challange.

You have 2000 players+ who would dream for this.

Id wish a dev would come with a a voting pool in the next small patch.

I do know that there is coming more pvp soon.

But the sad thing is more and more of the people i pvp/pve with keep quitting due too no challange after you have done it all.

I asked for PvP buffs? What? I asked for an end to twinking because it ruins PvP. I asked for sub 60 PvP gear so I have something use Glory on. I would love to go from 10-60 only PvP'ing but it's impossible because you get zero gear in PvP until your 60. You have to PvE to get any gear -at all-.

I'm no stranger to gear grinds. I've been playing MMO's for a while. I fully expect to get killed at 60 for awhile until I grind out gear, I don't care. I used to play Warhammer Online, you want to see unbalanced end game gear grinds you should have been there for that.

I asked for FIXES to sub 60 PvP, because if the 10-59 PvP sucks, people are going to be turned off to it by the time they get to 60. You are the typical PvP'er who doesn't understand that you need to grow the PvP player base before you get any real changes rolling. Same people who stomp low levels with their super twinked gear and then wonder why people stop playing and cry about queue times etc.

I also asked for a fix to the queue system to replace a player when they leave. I had a game turn into a 1v5 last night. That is just stupid. We sat around for the last 2 minutes chatting with the 1 guy left.

Bad.

• Options
    kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    My God guys...

1- PvP is fun
    2- We need more PvP content
    3- Gear is important to PvP build strategy so it has to stay.
    4- yes we need a better queue system
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I asked for PvP buffs? What? I asked for an end to twinking because it ruins PvP. I asked for sub 60 PvP gear so I have something use Glory on. I would love to go from 10-60 only PvP'ing but it's impossible because you get zero gear in PvP until your 60. You have to PvE to get any gear -at all-.

I'm no stranger to gear grinds. I've been playing MMO's for a while. I fully expect to get killed at 60 for awhile until I grind out gear, I don't care. I used to play Warhammer Online, you want to see unbalanced end game gear grinds you should have been there for that.

I asked for FIXES to sub 60 PvP, because if the 10-59 PvP sucks, people are going to be turned off to it by the time they get to 60. You are the typical PvP'er who doesn't understand that you need to grow the PvP player base before you get any real changes rolling. Same people who stomp low levels with their super twinked gear and then wonder why people stop playing and cry about queue times etc.

I also asked for a fix to the queue system to replace a player when they leave. I had a game turn into a 1v5 last night. That is just stupid. We sat around for the last 2 minutes chatting with the 1 guy left.

Bad.

So basicly you are asking for changes in 11 - 59, but everything else is a waste of time?

YOur stating that this would be waste of time for the devs, dosen't exactly sound like your "FOR" pvp changes.

PS: the replacing ain't the reason why puging is bad. It's the matchups that is bad, I do understand that people leave when we que 5man in a hope too ninja que another guild. putting someone else in there would just be a waste of time.

What is needed is like i said before a que system so we dont have too play against bad players.
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kaoswp wrote: »
    My God guys...

3- Gear is important to PvP build strategy so it has to stay.

Nope, you can have gear limitations and build strategy by just having a few different sets of pvp armour like a recovery set, crit set etc. Having bis gear, perfect vorpal and perfect barkshield/soulforged isn't a strategy its just x has more gear than any y he is likely to encounter so he will win almost every encounter even if everyone he encounters is equally skilled.

Some people really need their crutches though and it wouldn't be a videogame without some lame people trying to cheese their way to a win.
  • Options
    halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pvp is not a bad system.

pvp doesn't turn off players that already like pvp (I've got facerolled many times by vorpal/tene purple twinks while in my quest greens. it's irritating to waste time in games like that but i'm not going to stop pvp'ing).

To us, PVE is boring (especially since every fight mechanic in this game is just a game of add tag and dodge red; there is nothing unique or 'fun' about any encounter).

Bad design turns off pvp players (3 tiny maps? same type? twinks galore?) in a f2p game.

The scoring system and lack of leaving penalty encourages poor play.

I also find it quite silly that best pvp gear comes from pve.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    moderation note:
    mkay. so... this thread was cleaned up quite a bit and hopefully the gist of the discussion is still intact. let's remember to respect each other and our opinions, personal attacks aren't cool and to accuse someone else of trolling... is trolling. so let's have civil discussions and keep the antagonism within the pvp arena. thank you!

do not reply to this mod notice or discuss the moderation of this thread. instead, send us a PM if you would like to discuss it. :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Don't let me previous post fool you, I'm a PvP'er mostly these days and I would enjoy more PvP content.

That being said I get tired of the same posts in different MMO threads about how people are demanding more PvP etc etc when a game was clearly not designed to be PvP from the ground up. PvP in most games was added later in development as a side thing, not a main focus.

Then they always demand these grand massive sweeping changes as if they can be done overnight. The gaming industry is not a good place, it's usually understaffed, overworked and underpaid when it comes to the actual dev team. It takes a long time to make new stuff, balance things etc. It's just annoying and slightly aggravating to read these posts game after game.

So if you're tired of these posts and find it annoying and aggravating, don't read it, you're not obliged to.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I got this far and stopped reading..

People who PvP regularly and enjoy PvP...Do it because it is fun to fight another thinking human being. That is it. It is challenging...(sometimes). That is the only reason anyone needs to do PvP.

That's more like a WANT than a NEED, and there are different perceptions of fun.

So if you find that fun, carry on.
  • Options
    rapssodyarapssodya Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I'm gonna go do some pvp. Feel free to join me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Krass Mustang - GF
    Diamond Krass Mustang - GWF
    Shadow Krass Mustang - TR
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, it is a joke, which makes the fact that they add items only obtainable through it even more ridiculous.
    To us, PVE is boring (especially since every fight mechanic in this game is just a game of add tag and dodge red; there is nothing unique or 'fun' about any encounter).
    You realize this also applies to PvP, right? PvP in NW is bad, and you should feel bad for liking it.
    Nothing like hearing about player skill in a game where it is physically impossible to miss with most of your attacks.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ... you obviously haven't played in high end. It's very easy to miss. Most people just don't have the level of dodging down, in general pugs. Those that try, rise to the top and they're considered 'unkillable' by regular people due to attacks missing.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Y'know what'd make PvP more fun - make the experience for non-hardcore PvPers more forgiving and balanced. Don't put my fresh level 60 w/ mostly green gear in the same match as someone w/ all BiS equipment. Provide better rewards for playing wholeheartedly, instead of essentially encouraging people to just sit in their respawn point or leave altogether, if they are greatly outclassed by the other team. Implement some way of adjusting powers for PvP without impacting their PvE counterparts. Add an "indirect PvP" mode, where, for instance, team A and team B try to kill the most monsters in a period of time, or both teams try to defend their "king" from wave after wave of attackers, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    howdyyeowhowdyyeow Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2013
    Well idk if it's a joke or not, but be thankful they did not add a cutscene "showcasing" the areas like what they did to the Thay cutscenes in VT and Phantasmal Fortress. (which is unskippable and incredibly entertaining.)