• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Get a grip, will ya?
  • Options
    halefthauthalefthaut Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lexusor wrote: »
    So what? Look at majority of the forum posts, it's about PvP. Wanna know why?

I will tell you why. If you look at every PVP related post, its all about frustration and whining.

People who lurk PVP forums are mostly QQers who beg for nerfs/buffs/balance. You wont see happy customers
    posting how happy they are with the game, because happy customers spend 0 time on forums, they just play and enjoy.

That applies to every MMO.
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    halefthaut wrote: »
    People who lurk PVP forums are mostly QQers who beg for nerfs/buffs/balance. You wont see happy customers
    posting how happy they are with the game, because happy customers spend 0 time on forums, they just play and enjoy.

That applies to every MMO.

That's the 50% of the PvP community. The other 50% is the ones that discuss 'tactics' and then go ahead and grab cookie cutter builds with p.vorpals, R10s and 3 epic artifacts.

That been said, the entire PvP community needs a queue system. This will be a huge step towards less QQ in the forums.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    IMO PvP became kind of... broken after the 2nd module went live. Enough so I would stop playing it at all now.
    Hope they will balance things in the nearest patches though. Because I get really frustrated when I see the class wearing blue gear that can easily overdps me while I have all the enchantments I could ever get.

P.S On the side note, Rogues are useless in PvE now. Better take another ranger.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    PvP went boom when the tanky classes got more tanky and unkitable. Threatening rush on GWFs is a huge mistake, and allowing classes with 40% DR/2k Regen and 40% deflect dish out two-shot kills is actually a joke.

Of course this is happening because top geared players don't face top geared players due to the queue system. If something like that would happen, probably the more 'casual' bracket of PuGs (or people who enjoy queueing alone) will be more enjoyable also. The things that need to be done in order for PvP to stop being a joke are a queuing system and drawing the line between tanking and damage dealing (one should excel in one and not both).

Up to then, yes it's a joke and we'll keep queueing up with a hope of getting in THAT interesting matchup that happens 2 times every 20 games or so.

P.S:
    vasdamas wrote: »
    On the side note, Rogues are useless in PvE now. Better take another ranger.

It's funny that this comes down to queueing system as well. This time for PvE. If the queue system was not entirely unreliable, people wouldn't rely on LFG to create a party and all DPS would have some time in the sun. Right now, sometimes I wait for 45 minutes with my rogue while in queue and I end up in a cleared TotS, only to requeue again. Not fun.

So fix your queues algorithm. The developer behind it has some serious mistakes in it.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Don't let me previous post fool you, I'm a PvP'er mostly these days and I would enjoy more PvP content.

That being said I get tired of the same posts in different MMO threads about how people are demanding more PvP etc etc when a game was clearly not designed to be PvP from the ground up. PvP in most games was added later in development as a side thing, not a main focus.

Then they always demand these grand massive sweeping changes as if they can be done overnight. The gaming industry is not a good place, it's usually understaffed, overworked and underpaid when it comes to the actual dev team. It takes a long time to make new stuff, balance things etc. It's just annoying and slightly aggravating to read these posts game after game.

What a ridiculous post. If game after game people are taking to forums to complain about PVP then that tells you one thing. They are not bringing out the games they should be. So rather than having the need to make these 'grand massive sweeping changes' why don't they read the forums and when they put out there next game remember what they have read.

I agree with the op, PVP blows in Neverwinter which is a shame because it has a marvellous combat system. PVE will only ever take a game so far and at the end of the day PVP is where the money is at. Something PWE has yet to learn. The reason? It's an mmo, a massively multiplayer online game. When people get together of course they want to test their strength and skills out on each other. Only people that are rubbish don't.

Imagine an online football game where you couldn't play against each other.

As for the PVE in Neverwinter, it's OK with decent looking maps but as yet I have not come across anything that really tests a player. A good player that is hence the need for PVP.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post. If game after game people are taking to forums to complain about PVP then that tells you one thing. They are not bringing out the games they should be. So rather than having the need to make these 'grand massive sweeping changes' why don't they read the forums and when they put out there next game remember what they have read.

I agree with the op, PVP blows in Neverwinter which is a shame because it has a marvellous combat system. PVE will only ever take a game so far and at the end of the day PVP is where the money is at. Something PWE has yet to learn. The reason? It's an mmo, a massively multiplayer online game. When people get together of course they want to test their strength and skills out on each other. Only people that are rubbish don't.

As for the PVE in Neverwinter, it's OK with decent looking maps but as yet I have not come across anything that really tests a player. A good player that is hence the need for PVP.
    Here's the problem with that argument. Forum populations are very rarely if ever representative of game population. Most game forums have a perma-death and rp population that is much higher than the percent of players in the games that are participating in such game play styles, PvP is likely in the same boat. If PvP was the moneymaker PvP players think it is in mmo's more mmo's would be set up with strong PvP systems. Companies like money, if PvP made money, you'd see more PvP.

I think most people don't participate in PvP because competition combined with internet anonymity bring out the worst in human behavior. This means that most people would prefer to be in the worst pve compared to the best pvp so as to have a fun non-abusive recreation experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There are two sides of this coin unfortunately. PvE-ing e-peen also brings out bad aspects of people. It's just that you don't get frustrated by someone lolstomping you.

PvP is the moneymaker here. I just think that Cryptic wasn't ready for a full PvP support since it's quite complicated. The funny part is that people that are more likely to give money to the game, are the ones that need the top-notch gear without getting their hands dirty with PvE. So it's PvPers

The other side of the coin is that people like to have fun, and good fun is had when you get to a dungeon with a good party and everyone is polite and fuzzy and everything is pink. PvP is not that friendly to the new user, and it's not going to be unless they keep the dogs away from the cats.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A short feedback from me.

I do not think Neverwinter PvP is bad and Gauntlgrym PvP and normal 5vs5 PvP is ok.

That said this game could improve PvP.
    Ideas:
    1. Football PvP. Why not with barrels that Anton suggested in another thread or with a football? Wordcup 2014 is coming and it is awesome and held in Brazil:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlttCPiiIBo
    2. Capture the Flag. It is an old classic and since I liked it in Unreal Tournament 2004, WOW etc why not include that to PvP?
    3. A bigger outworld map with nice wild terrain instead of stone like in Gauntlgrym. Compare to Alterac Valley in WOW a huge map 40 vs 40 players. I don't need Guild Wars 2 scope that would make it a slideshow to laptops with extremely many players.
  • Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i'm a pvp player & i came here from "Tera Online" ,its nice PvE game but Boring for me.
    i heard NW- got a "Action Combat Systeme", so decided to check out.
    and i could say: this game is perfectly created for PvP.
    it just need some more support.

for me is NW not realy made for PvE,
    because the "Requirements for a Full-PvE Game to be absent./does not exist".
    which is one of the main reasons who make a game PvE?
    Open World! if u are a PvE player "you will always looking for".( that's for sure)

Only programmed opponent to fight is boring,
    Combat system/good grafik makes no difference!

We dont need new PvP Mods immediately.
    but how hard can it be to insert some "New Maps.?!
    ..Come on!
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    xgrandz02 wrote: »
    i'm a pvp player & i came here from "Tera Online" ,its nice PvE game but Boring for me.
    i heard NW- got a "Action Combat Systeme", so decided to check out.
    and i could say: this game is perfectly created for PvP.
    it just need some more support.

for me is NW not realy made for PvE,
    because the "Requirements for a Full-PvE Game to be absent./does not exist".
    which is one of the main reasons who make a game PvE?
    Open World! if u are a PvE player "you will always looking for".( that's for sure)

Only programmed opponent to fight is boring,
    Combat system/good grafik makes no difference!

We dont need new PvP Mods immediately.
    but how hard can it be to insert some "New Maps.?!
    ..Come on!
    Sorry but saying action combat means that it shouldn't be pve is bs. You're just another person that should be playing call of duty.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    Here's the problem with that argument. Forum populations are very rarely if ever representative of game population. Most game forums have a perma-death and rp population that is much higher than the percent of players in the games that are participating in such game play styles, PvP is likely in the same boat. If PvP was the moneymaker PvP players think it is in mmo's more mmo's would be set up with strong PvP systems. Companies like money, if PvP made money, you'd see more PvP.

I think most people don't participate in PvP because competition combined with internet anonymity bring out the worst in human behavior. This means that most people would prefer to be in the worst pve compared to the best pvp so as to have a fun non-abusive recreation experience.

I just meant that the dudes argument was ridiculous however as you brought it up if PVP is not the money maker why is it that almost all mmo's eventually add it and work on it. Even the ones that start out as PVE games such as Neverwinter. I would bet that PVP gets a work over.

Say what you like about the foundry numbers but at the end of the day what gets discussed on a forum is the general feeling and mood in game. It may be only a small percentage of the players but it is still an average of what is be thought about. Why do think that corporate companies spend so much money on market research? It's not everyone's opinion but it's an average.
    Sorry but saying action combat means that it shouldn't be pve is bs. You're just another person that should be playing call of duty.

It's a bit unfair to say that as Call of Duty is all guns and dose not have professions, markets, towns etc. The Day they make a PVP based game that runs like an mmorpg with all the extra's except PVE, I'll give it a go for sure if it looks good. My problem with FPS is that is all they are and half the time you are looking at menu screens.

Take chivalry medieval warfare for example. If that was open world and you could just travel to a place and join in, but if you wanted to you could hang at a town and work on weapon smithing and what not, how good would that be? It's an untapped market in my opinion. Add a foundry type thing and it's all I would need.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    greekstud wrote: »
    agree with everything and as i said pvp makes a game last for ever so if cryptic wants us here for good they must implement all those that you say soon

BS, simply BS. I can name 2 games in the past where PvP though a major part of the game was pretty much a moot point and yet the games survived. If PvP is such an important aspect to every MMO as you suggest then may you can explain these to me.

1. PWI has(when I played) 4 servers, 2 PvE and 2 PVP. By the time I stopped playing the game the PvP servers where all but dead while the PvE servers were packed with players.

2.VCO was an open PK game and yet (by the players own doing) the only PvP to be found in the game was in the arena. So much so that when a group of friends decided to join the game, make their own guild and PK as they please they ended up being hunted by the entire server until they calmed down their antics and started to play they way everyone else played.

So to sit there and act like a game can not survive without PvP is just a lie. Which also begs the question that very few PvPers ever give a reasonable answer to which is. If you want to PvP so much then why not play a PvP based game instead of coming to a PvE based game and complaining that there isn't enough PvP. Its like going to a burger joint and complaining because you cant get chicken.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    snotty wrote: »
    If you want to PvP so much then why not play a PvP based game instead of coming to a PvE based game and complaining that there isn't enough PvP. Its like going to a burger joint and complaining because you cant get chicken.

See, comments like this are as bad as the one you quoted. An MMORPG is not just for either PVP or PVE, to say why not go to a PVP based game, can you name one? When I say name one I mean one that is based on fantasy, is not a FPS and has things like a world to explore, Professions, Towns and is most importantly good. Also most PVP players like a little PVE the same as Many PVE players would like a little PVP if not for the fully epic gear, I do this all day every day players. There should be a balance. Like open world PVP but with the option not to participate.

I hate all this, it should only be PVP it should only be PVE, it's just selfish any way you look at it.

So I agree that the comment you quoted was bs, but so is yours.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    PvE and PvP should co exist. They are two different worlds but they can be hosted under the same roof in MMOs. It just takes some time to plan and develop the matching up.

NW's combat system is amazing for both worlds.

Edit: Typos
  • Options
    lexusorlexusor Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »

Tell me about it, some people just love to compete against A.Is, so good for them.

Well there's competition in PvE too fyi (dps, whatever), and that abusive recreation experience you've mentioned is probably caused by blood and gore, which this game doesn't have except for the pixelated blood around the borders of your screen when your character's on low HP.
    snotty wrote: »
    BS, simply BS. I can name 2 games in the past where PvP though a major part of the game was pretty much a moot point and yet the games survived. If PvP is such an important aspect to every MMO as you suggest then may you can explain these to me.

1. PWI has(when I played) 4 servers, 2 PvE and 2 PVP. By the time I stopped playing the game the PvP servers where all but dead while the PvE servers were packed with players.

2.VCO was an open PK game and yet (by the players own doing) the only PvP to be found in the game was in the arena. So much so that when a group of friends decided to join the game, make their own guild and PK as they please they ended up being hunted by the entire server until they calmed down their antics and started to play they way everyone else played.

So to sit there and act like a game can not survive without PvP is just a lie. Which also begs the question that very few PvPers ever give a reasonable answer to which is. If you want to PvP so much then why not play a PvP based game instead of coming to a PvE based game and complaining that there isn't enough PvP. Its like going to a burger joint and complaining because you cant get chicken.

For real, you are seeking an explanation for that from players?

Why not seek the devs themselves? And even if you know the answer, then what?

And if someone was to answer your "intelligent" question, you would just type out bs anyway.
    PvE and PvP should go exist. They are two different worlds but they can be hosted under the same roof in MMOs. It just takes some time to plan and develop the matching up.

NW's combat system is amazing for both worlds.

True, completely agree with this one.
  • Options
    mclargehuge82mclargehuge82 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have been playing this game for maybe 3 days now. Just hit 56 last night on my GWF. I jumped into a few pvp arenas along the way and had a blast. I took a few beatings not knowing what to expect from any classes. And it came down to focus fire as always if the other team is organized. Regardless of the opponents gear. CC's still can change the tide like many other PVP games ive played (not to many since the MMO boom). Anyway. Its the combat I want to mention is awesome. Once you find your combos, and your limits. There's so much potential in the combat mechanics. I cant wait to see what else I could find for combos (combo melding?) I don't know much about D&D so excuse my terminology if its off. I did however play it with friends a few times on table top. Ok. Time to see where the patcher is at.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well there's competition in PvE too fyi (dps, whatever), and that abusive recreation experience you've mentioned is probably caused by blood and gore, which this game doesn't have except for the pixelated blood around the borders of your screen when your character's on low HP.
    Blinks......... seriously?

No it has nothing to do with blood or gore. It has everything to do with the inevitable stream of racist, homophobic, bigoted insults that pour out from pvp players.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No, the abusive experience in PVP is from the downright rude and boorish behavior by a large segment of the PVP population. Griefing, ganking, spawn camping, spawn-site jumping (before it was fixed), trash-talking, and just generally unsportsmanlike conduct. It has nothing to do with the fake blood images.

Edit: Here is just one example among many. In one particular match I was in, at the very end of the match, and *after the final scoreboard had been displayed*, this one particular TR continued to beat on me and eventually kill me so that I returned to PE "dead". That was completely pointless. This TR got no glory or no additional kills out of this. It was just plain wrong.

When so many PVPers demand that "quitters" be punished, or that spawn-sitters be thrown out of spawn after a certain period of time, my impression is that what they really mean is, "I want to *force* those undergeared n00bs to take my beatings and smackdowns because I derive joy and pleasure from tormenting others". Seriously, there's a large number of PVPers who need therapy.
  • Options
    halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pointsman wrote: »
    No, the abusive experience in PVP is from the downright rude and boorish behavior by a large segment of the PVP population. Griefing, ganking, spawn camping, spawn-site jumping (before it was fixed), trash-talking, and just generally unsportsmanlike conduct. It has nothing to do with the fake blood images.

When so many PVPers demand that "quitters" be punished, or that spawn-sitters be thrown out of spawn after a certain period of time, my impression is that what they really mean is, "I want to *force* those undergeared n00bs to take my beatings and smackdowns because I derive joy and pleasure from tormenting others". Seriously, there's a large number of PVPers who need therapy.

You realize this is basically every teenager in CoD and Halo etc., right? You can always just put people on /ignore.
    And pvp is pvp, ganking, 'griefing' and spawn camping is bound to happen at one point or another, but that's not the rule. I've been on both sides of a roflstomp, neither is all that enjoyable (admittedly the losing is less rewarding).

When we ask for penalties for leaving, we're asking that people either don't queue or actually participate if they do, because there's nothing worse than half your team being afk when things could have gone either way at the start.

If you can't handle pvp, don't enter the match. I'm not talking about tolerating the stupidity of zone chat. I'm talking about playing the game. Do you like when people enter instances and go afk? No, you vote kick them. I'm not asking for vote kick (it will get abused, no doubt, in pvp). I'm asking for some indication that the devs care about pvp at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well guess what, I'm not playing Halo or COD. If I enjoyed running around and shooting people in the face, I'd play those games. But I don't.

And no, spawn-camping and griefing are pretty much the norm in level 60 PVP nowadays, given how unbalanced most matches are.

If you want more people to actually participate in PVP and not merely show up, give them a reason to put some effort into it by making it a rewarding experience for them. And that includes keeping the boorish behavior to a minimum.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For real, you are seeking an explanation for that from players?

Why not seek the devs themselves? And even if you know the answer, then what?

And if someone was to answer your "intelligent" question, you would just type out bs anyway.

Seriously? Why ask the players instead of the devs? Maybe because its the players complaining about PvP and not the devs. Its the players who consistently try to justify PvP as necessary for MMOs when its simply not true. Don't get me wrong, can pvp be fun? Sure it can. But to make a statements like "game wont last because they don't have pvp" is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous to say a game couldn't last without pve.

And no, intelligent answers are never BS, only BS answers are BS.
  • Options
    vvcephei767vvcephei767 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually I'd say that pvp brings in an abusive type of gamer and that all games would be better off with no pvp mode.
    Dat prejudice.
    4. No penalties for leaving, AFK or poor play.
    This...so much this...

Also...GWF are STOMPING PVP right now. I have a pro tip: nerf Unstoppable in PvP. You already nerfed CC (for good reason). Impossible to Catch is an ability one must use an encounter slot on AND you have to pick a particular paragon path, and is on a hefty cooldown. Unstoppable, on the other hand, give a boatload of temp hit points, extreme damage reduction, and CC-immunity. And it comes back up constantly. "Ignore the tank" strat won't work...because he's not a tank: he's a tanky damage dealer with control. Activate Unstoppable, Takedown, Win Fight. Period. Oh, did you skillfully dodge Takedown? Then I keep the cooldown. For real?

PvP is determined by 2 things (in non-60 games anyway): who has the GWF and who has the least leavers. A sad state of affairs to be sure...and both easily fixed.

Oh, and I think PvP Domination Dailies should only give Astral Diamonds on a win, that way there would be less spawn camping.
  • Options
    kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I see this a lot /:

I don't want to spend any money, I don't want to join a pvp guild, I don't want to learn how to build a pvp toon.. But I do expect everyone to treat me with respect and will get upset when I get trolled.
  • Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kaoswp wrote: »
    I see this a lot /:

I don't want to spend any money, I don't want to join a pvp guild, I don't want to learn how to build a pvp toon.. But I do expect everyone to treat me with respect and will get upset when I get trolled.

To be fair, having to literally pay to win is a pretty bad design for a PvP game, F2P or not. That being said, with my limited knowledge so far, you can get the same gear and enchantment levels as someone who pays, just at a really really really slow pace. Not fun but I guess that's the nature of F2P beast.

As much as I'm enjoying this game I have a feeling it might just be a timekiller until Wildstar finally comes out.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    You can get good gear without paying for it or taking forever. You just have to know how too.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oh, and I think PvP Domination Dailies should only give Astral Diamonds on a win, that way there would be less spawn camping.
    Enjoy your 2 hour queue time.
  • Options
    halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It takes grinding, either pve or pvp (but pve for the better end result). Most people with full time jobs can't get a full set overnight.

Which means getting ROFLstomped in pvp if you decide to brave it in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear.
  • Options
    wolfsong84wolfsong84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Here guys, I just made this thread in the Foundry forums. I was just thinking that those in the foundry might want to hear.
  • Options
    grahfixgrahfix Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First of all, I don't see a reason why people are complaining about class or gear imbalances in PvP because it's the same for any other MMORPG, where it depends on the character's equipment, builds, etc. So if you want "fair" PvP, go play some MOBA games.

Moving on, PvP in NW with it's current state is somewhat screwed.

Here's some reasons why from a casual PUG PvPer perspective.

1. Two Maps, One Mode

Excluding GG, there is that Hotenow Domination and the Rivenscar Ruins, both being stupidly small for there to be any "fun", with BiS mounts making things worst as players can reach their destination within lesser than 10s, MAX.

The destination? It's either point 1,2 or 3, due to the one and only Dominion style PvP mode and it's hilarious how any strategy is involved in this bs. What's even better is that sometimes in PUGs four sitting ducks are immediately glued together on the base point while a player Rambos in the middle point and obviously end up dying. That defines PvP, totally.

Apologies to those players who find this fun, because I would rather focus on targetting enemy players instead of being stationary on a point with some moron(s).

2. No 1-1/Open World PvP

Only way to enter PvP is through Queue system, which is rather dumb. Although some players do 1v1 in these instanced <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it's better to have a duel system or a Free For All PvP map.

3. PvP... for what?

To train teamwork, skill or self satisfaction? Rofl.

After you've geared up your character, what's the point of getting Glory? To get more rough AD/gold or let them waste inventory space? At least there's PvP pots to help players who PvP endlessly, so good job on that one.

ect.. ect..

I agree with almost everything you said in this post. Except your delivery sucked (just like that.. see? that was not fun to read was it now was it) Any who, upon agreeing on just about all your points which are very valid, I would like to recommend that next time you post you do it in somewhat of a "constructive criticism" way, no matter how mad ya are.

Other then that.. I CONCUR FRIEND! +1 !!