test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nice of you to make Monsters of ice only for ranged classes

burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
close to impossible to get anywhere as gwf, while u start running on that stupid ice cw and hr have killed everything, gj
Paladin Master Race
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The one thing that the Devs for Neverwinter are is consistent as for all PvE the ranged class (now classes) are dominant. Don't expect this to change soon.....
  • Options
    irk2013irk2013 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I had no problems then again I know my class and how to play it
  • Options
    zolronzolron Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    irk2013 wrote: »
    I had no problems then again I know my class and how to play it

I normally dont involve myself with posts like this but .....Why would you even make a comment like this...Its not like knowing your class and how to play is difficult or something to be proud of ?
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It takes my gwf 5 seconds to run to an ice golem then 5 seconds to run away from the ice golem's aoe.
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Like pretty much all the other events that have a group competition, it will benefit you to seek out an instance that is sparsely populated. Makes a huge difference, trust me. Well worth the time and effort if you want to maximize your event farming.
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    It takes my gwf 5 seconds to run to an ice golem then 5 seconds to run away from the ice golem's aoe.

Let Ice Golems come to you?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    yea and what to do when they die and aoe ? other classes can dodge or block or are sitting safely far away
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I don't know about HR but CW is a glass cannon.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    burkaanc wrote: »
    close to impossible to get anywhere as gwf, while u start running on that stupid ice cw and hr have killed everything, gj

So two options here, switch instances (easiest) or plan your position carefully. Sure, someone who is ranging doesn't have to move as much but that doesn't mean that GWF's are useless here. If you have specced Iron Vanguard and are using Threatening Rush it works well enough and saves you from wasting stamina to close.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yea and what to do when they die and aoe ? other classes can dodge or block or are sitting safely far away

Are they exactly like the ice golems in FH/Icespire? My GWF has never had any trouble sprinting out of their AoE. Good grief.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ya lvl 19 CW be rank1 wow nice and a lvl 60 TR fully geared rank 12 very nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ya lvl 19 CW be rank1 wow nice and a lvl 60 TR fully geared rank 12 very nice

You should know by know that events are designed to account for level disparity.

In any case, I'm sure you're happy with your TRs single target damage.

Everything has pros and cons.
  • Options
    imm0rtalboyimm0rtalboy Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I couldn't hit many mobs because i was skating but CW or HR killing from far its not about pros or cons did you even try to play there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I couldn't hit many mobs because i was skating but CW or HR killing from far its not about pros or cons did you even try to play there

No, I haven't tried to play there.

However, I have played melee characters in CoX, and they slipped around in icy areas as well, putting them at some slight disadvantage over ranged characters during their winter event.

It's still about the pros and cons of the classes, in regards to terrain in this case. Ranged types have the pro of being able to attack well from range and thus avoid the ice, while melee characters have the con of having to contend with it.

In closed in areas, in close quarters, melee characters may well have advantage over ranged ones, generally being more sturdy and not having to close to their targets.

Not everything is going to be equally suited to all classes all the time.
  • Options
    elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zolron wrote: »
    I normally dont involve myself with posts like this but .....Why would you even make a comment like this...Its not like knowing your class and how to play is difficult or something to be proud of ?

Considering how often we get was a topics like this about how it's simply impossible for melee classes to work in the game I'd say the consensus is that someone that does make a melee class work probably does have something to be proud of because it's clearly a hard thing to do. You can't defend the idea that melee is hard and then say making it work is easy.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Are they exactly like the ice golems in FH/Icespire? My GWF has never had any trouble sprinting out of their AoE. Good grief.

they are a bit different, and its not the mobs its ice - ur accelerate really slowly and stop slowly
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Use come and get it encounter and make the mobs come to you. I got 6th out of a super crowded instance by finding a good position between mob spawn points and barely moved. Just pulled and killed, rinse repeat. Like mentioned find the least crowded instance and remember to have fun. Also if you were here for the summer event you would know CW dominated the monster events, if you absolutely need to get first so you can <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> your nerd boner in front of people get crafty or turbo lvl a CW or HR.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Threatening Rush has been a golden nugget out there for me.

For my destroyer swordmaster, it's flourish that does the most help. And mighty leap.

If you can't guess what's helping me, it's movement abilities. Especially targeted moving abilities, which aren't penalized by starting and stopping.

Lastly: why would you avoid AOE? Your a GWF, for heaven's sake, not a CW. Take it on the chin like a real man and let your regen or pots do the rest.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Ice can be annoying, but I have done fine with LEEROY JENKINS... Come and Get It draws baddies in nicely and Threatening Rush gets me to them also. It's not easy, per say, but it is fun!

GWFs have the tools, just gotta use them ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    kelletonkelleton Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

except the ice run effect makes it so you cant run out - basically running has a 3 second delay and switching directions has a 1-2 second delay
  • Options
    vattaravattara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Isn't the point of the Monsters on Ice event to get a "shield"? Just showing up to the party nets you one.
    You are correct in that the slippage on the ice was a challenge for the melee classes but my GF and TR were able to hold their own on one of the snow banks and their GS sure isn't optimized .
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What they should have done was to add craftable ice skates or ice spikes, which countered or lessened the slippage.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My GF has been doing Monsters on Ice without a shield and hasn't had trouble. The trick is to slot rush/slam and AoE-type encounters.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Heaven forbid an event that isn't geared solely towards melee. Get the pitchforks!
  • Options
    jegerwulfjegerwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited December 2013
    My GF took first and second in my last two, so it can be done.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Avoid the icegolems, should be able to get 300 as GWF
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I play CW, and nukes are fun... But I still tag one monster, the group follows,
    and I stand on the snow to meet them. If it gets messy, I skate to another snow
    spot. That help at all?

I tend to get mashed by the rimes throws, but I think everyone does.
    Tend to avoid them.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i played every class today in the event and didn't have any real problems with any of them killing monsters on the ice, except for my kids' 2 level 4 characters, and that was just a lack of powers to do anything with. Then again, i got a lot of practice playing on ice when i was playing CoX, so perhaps muscle memory is helping me.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love my ranger during this event. Did it twice, first place both times.
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    GF is easy because the three closeout skills end any skating instantly and are good to escape as well.
This discussion has been closed.