Install Arc
Options

First impression: CTA Pit Fight

Comments

• Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ljz6 wrote: »
    Common you say, list some MMO's that have removed the best possible item drops from dungeons and replaced them with a token system where you can buy the best items for the tokens you get in those dungeons. If you do manage to find any, I'll easily double or triple the list with more successful MMO's.

As for "we have that system in this game" - are you even in the same thread? In no way can you buy the BEST equipment with Manticore, Unicorn and Drake seals. In no way.

LOL no seal items aren't the best gear by any means and I never said they were did I? but the fact remains we have a token system in place in dungeons so that if you are unlucky and get none of the drops you want after so many runs you at least have a consolation prize , I wouldn't call a green 50% mount and a crappy weapon skin the 'best 'in game either and that's why having a token system in place wouldn't hurt anybody , especially if they insist on keeping CtA drops BoP trash.
    Lazy people, you blame the game for your rotten luck.

I did 98 runs to get my mount how is that lazy? nobody is asking for a token system to let you do 1 run and trade in a token for a mount but when you are getting to the 100s of runs and still have no mount its kind of frustrating , can't wait till the next CtA to see if some of these people have their turn at bad luck , I really hope they come here to complain so we can bring up their old posts to haunt them.
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited November 2013
    Seriously, whoever set the drop rate should look for a different career than game design and better soon. Such designers are the kind of people who run companies into the ground by alienating their player base - a supposedly fun event has been turned into a mindless grind thanks to the RNG on the low drop rate.

This is the first time in months that a good looking mount is available, good job making it impossible to get if the RNG is not on your side.
  • Options
    xictusxictus Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    18 runs for me. Two orbs and still no mount. I may round if off at 20 if I have time later today and call it good. I am completely puzzled at the point of making things BoP but still having very low drops rates. I can undrstand BOE with low drop rates. But why would you take something that can't traded and make it a huge grind to achieve. At any rate, its not a great way to keep players looking forward to the next skirmish event with these pointless grinds. Heaven forbid, you might want to have the mount for more than one character. You better have either luck or loads of time on your hands. I don't see the advantage of this system for Cryptic/PWI or the player base.

~X
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I kind of quit trying to get the mount after 20 runs. If all future CTAs have similar low RNG drop rates and are BoP, unless there is savage enchants; I probably will not actively attempt to participate.

I do have free time later, maybe Ill try more; but IDK. The mount overall looks cool, the dyes are meh, and I havent seen a weapon skin.

The 20 runs I did. My results
    3 - Rank 4 Cruel
    All the rest were rank 3 and dyes outta the chest. RNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG qq
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I got 1 mount for each of my characters in under about 60 or 70 runs. I think I would have rage quit by about 50 without seeing a single mount drop for my character. The fact that some people have run it 1,2,300+ times without a single mount drop for them is amazing. While RNG can't be on anyone's side, I can definitely agree that this would EASILY not make this a fun event for folks.

I mean hell, when a Rare dye-pack, weapon skin, or enchant drops far more often than a Uncommon mount, that's just a bit screwed up as far as rarity labeling goes. I get that the general impression is that they wanted the mount to be the rarest thing to gain from this whole event, but there's just something that makes me SMH and laugh about that.

Overall, I think it's been pretty much on the same level as all of the other CTAs so far. Fun, but sort of like lockboxes and pokemon, if you're going for the epic things, be prepared to sink plenty of time.

I still strongly encourage Cryptic to keep doing these, if not just to feed the achievement hunters and to give those who accidentally over leveled a chance to experience all of the game's content.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xictus wrote: »
    I am completely puzzled at the point of making things BoP but still having very low drops rates. I can undrstand BOE with low drop rates. But why would you take something that can't traded and make it a huge grind to achieve. At any rate, its not a great way to keep players looking forward to the next skirmish event with these pointless grinds. Heaven forbid, you might want to have the mount for more than one character. You better have either luck or loads of time on your hands. I don't see the advantage of this system for Cryptic/PWI or the player base.

~X

This. Done over a hundred runs and still no wolf for any character. I like the skirmish and I like the dyepacks, but I just don't have it in me to keep running it over and over and over again. Especially when the skirmish bugs out and Morgath the Undying REALLY is Undying (thing respawned invisible, with invisible attacks and full health, after being killed the first time).

If it's gonna have such a low drop rate, at least making it BoE would be nice. I'm pleased about getting lots of enchants so I can stack some serious defense/deflect on my halfling CW, but still annoyed about the RNG shenanigans. I guess it's payback for getting two ghost paladins from the Helm event, but really I thought I had already paid back the RNG gods for that by not having such a great time with the past two events....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    why on hell the wolf mount is smaller than the one showing on protectors enclave? It is like 50% smaller!
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lionmaruu0 wrote: »
    why on hell the wolf mount is smaller than the one showing on protectors enclave? It is like 50% smaller!

I forget if mounts scale or not? That might be why? But dang, I hadn't noticed that.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The mounts on show are usually bigger than the ones you ride. Also, halflings/dwarfs get smaller mounts.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Got a wolf for my cleric earlier which is good because that was getting painful. With a good group, it's a breeze playing a cleric. With a bad group, I get Executioner, get chased all over the map and die a lot from archers.

So far my tally since Thursday is 2 wolves, 1 weapon skin. I've got around 60 dye packs but some might be stashed away deeper in the bag. So it feels like my luck's been bad but judging from the thread, I'm ahead of the curve. I'd like a skin for my second wizard as she doesn't otherwise have anything.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited November 2013
    The drop rate must be something like 1% - approaching run 50 now and getting tired of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    The mounts on show are usually bigger than the ones you ride. Also, halflings/dwarfs get smaller mounts.

Actually.. not usually. My owlbear is the same size as the display. The only time I know for sure the display mout was smaller was the armored warg. The one on display was smaller than the zen shop version. When people complained they went and made the one on display smaller. I would imagine they just repeated the same mistake here.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the drop rate is strange, maybe bugged. I have 6 chars, the weird thing is that with my cleric lvl 53 i get the wolf every 3 runs, ALWAYS. Sadly is BoP :( . With the rest of characters 45 runs and only enchantments and dye bottles, occasionally weapons.
  • Options
    ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    tinger21 wrote: »
    You don't have a problem with it because you actually got a mount and weapon skin, while the rest of us, after over 100 runs, haven't gotten anything of the sort... grinding nearly 20 hours now to get something we really want, but to no avail. You don't know what that feels like because you actually got what you want, and in a relatively quick amount of time indicated in your nonsensical post. You haven't felt the disappointment, pain, and frustration because you aren't the one who is affected.

Please, think about what you are spewing before you actually post next time. Your logic is biased, half-baked, and it is dumb.

When are people going to learn to read. I clearly stated throughout my posts that I've been running the event on all of my free time for a TR skin, which I haven't received. That's the item I want, and that's the item I haven't received. I don't know why it's so hard to read. Lots of insults in your post, kind of typical of someone who's in support of this type of system. I've seen one or two actually insightful and intelligent posts in this thread. It's a shame, that's why more good ideas aren't posted, because they're bashed by people who are angry at a game.
    imsmithy wrote: »
    LOL no seal items aren't the best gear by any means and I never said they were did I? but the fact remains we have a token system in place in dungeons so that if you are unlucky and get none of the drops you want after so many runs you at least have a consolation prize , I wouldn't call a green 50% mount and a crappy weapon skin the 'best 'in game either and that's why having a token system in place wouldn't hurt anybody , especially if they insist on keeping CtA drops BoP trash.

The green 50% mount and a crappy weapon skin are the BEST items you can get in the event. I'd personally like the system to either be an added 1% every couple of games to your drop chances. (Once you get a best item [ wolf,rank5,skin ] then it resets) Or a system where there are tokens, but you can't buy the obvious main attraction of the event from it. Tokens for a skin? Since the mount seems to be more desired then the skins.

In no way are people lazy for running 100+ and not getting what they want, I'm way over a hundred and haven't received my TR skin, it's just the way the game works. If I don't get it by the end of the event, oh well! It's nothing special, but having all the luck removed from an event is just plain sad.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    In all honesty, the wolf mount is a reskin of a rank 1 mount. The best drops in this event are merely reskins that offers no performance changes whatsoever on characters, in a short event that otherwise should have been fun and rewarding.

This is my casual mmo. I'm only here for the fun stuff occasionally, and care very little about grinding high end equips (which is all there is to endgame unfortunately because of the GS gating in place).

Here's my statistics for the CTA:
    CW ~400 runs: wolf mount, 10 weapon skins, lots of enchants
    TR ~60 runs: wolf mount, 1 weapon skin, enchants
    DC ~40 runs: wolf mount, 2 weapon skins, enchants

I've spent nearly every waking hour the past weekend on 500 runs. For mere cosmetic prizes, this is more chore than fun, partly due to the short time frame of the event. IMHO, having a finish line to the event will not only improve player satisfaction, but achieve the purpose of such events.

A possible way to improve this is a universal token system for CTAs, and hence I agree with TS. For players unfortunate enough not to get their desired drops, the rewards for every CTA can be redeemed through a vendor with this universal tokens. The number of said tokens for redemption for these prizes however need to be set so high that a player may need to collect tokens across multiple CTA events. The good part of such a system is a player can have a choice or may ultimately have to choose between prizes, but at least it offers a goal to work towards, and allows players the flexibility to farm without having a timer to get the prizes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You did 500 runs this weekend ? How is this even humanly possible ? Also with a run taking about 10 mins that would be something like 83 hours total.
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    You did 500 runs this weekend ? How is this even humanly possible ? Also with a run taking about 10 mins that would be something like 83 hours total.

Yeah, 10 minutes per round would take 83 hours, and at the time of this writing it's been 79 hours. And 83 hours would still require absolutely Zero downtime between rounds, no potty breaks, no sleep, no lunch, etc... Not buyin it meself.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not possible? My CW can get 7-8k rough astral diamonds in skirmish hour, and each round with my CW last as fast as 6-8mins going all out. I've barely slept. This is my CW's inventory after getting the mount.

126a743.jpg
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Both the RNG and a token-based system have their merits. The problem I have is when people who get lucky and have the RNG end up in their favor try to pass it off as "earning" said drop...

It is earning their drop. If they don't do the activity related to getting the drop they don't get it, when it is bop. The doing of the activity is the earning part. Of course, due to the random factor, some have to do more earning than others.
  • Options
    gillypudgillypud Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This was my first CTA and having previously outleveled Pit Fight, the completionist within me was like "Aww yeah!". Some good and bad experiences. Wild party combos were worth some laughs when things worked out well (4TR+1CW / 3DC+1TR+1GF / 4CW + 1TR). AFK'ers were sometimes a problem, especially the ones who park themselves on top of the roof/awning at the Pit entrance, may Cyric take their souls. All in all it was an above average event for me. The what-seemed-like-endless grinding can seriously kill a person's enthusiasm, but at roughly 10-15 minutes per session, you could take a break and move on to other things for a while before coming back at it.

Final stats:
    6th run - Axe weapon skin
    55th run - Shadow wolf mount
    56th run - Axe weapon skin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Was farming it with my friend, got 2 wolves within 30 runs in general, my friend did 20 more after I took a break and still ain't got it. This kinda suck that I can't just give him my second wolf due to it being BoP QQ. Lucky it was holiday event, can't imagine that farm after work.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Actually.. not usually. My owlbear is the same size as the display. The only time I know for sure the display mout was smaller was the armored warg. The one on display was smaller than the zen shop version. When people complained they went and made the one on display smaller. I would imagine they just repeated the same mistake here.

IIRC the Nightmare was the same size, the Stag was huge, the bear was bigger, the warg was bigger and the winter wolf looks really large too.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    Not possible? My CW can get 7-8k rough astral diamonds in skirmish hour, and each round with my CW last as fast as 6-8mins going all out. I've barely slept. This is my CW's inventory after getting the mount.

126a743.jpg

Offtopic

Why do you have Arcana Kits on your CW? :)
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    IIRC the Nightmare was the same size, the Stag was huge, the bear was bigger, the warg was bigger and the winter wolf looks really large too.

The winter wolf is really large, but as far as I know we can't get that mount. So we can't compare it.

The warg is the one I was talking about. (I meant to say the one on display was larger than the Zen shop version.) It was bigger at first, but they shrunk later shrunk it. In this old thread, someone posted a pic of how ridiculous it looked with the mounts next to each other. Less than 2 weeks later they had shrunk the display to match the actual mount.

Others like the stag and the bear might have been slightly smaller than the ones on display. But wargs (and now the shadow wolf) tend to look like they are half the size for some reason. My guess is that they forgot that wolves don't scale or something. And forgot to scale the model down to something closer to actual mount size.

screenshot_2013-11-18-01-14-30_zps46f04026.jpg

Heh, it does look pretty silly.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    curzondax73curzondax73 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have been doing this thing constantly every waking hour since it began ( not kidding ) just in hopes of getting the shadow wolf mount but have not gotten it, all I get are those stupid dye packs, yet I group with my friend for his first 3 go's at it and on his 3rd he gets it. That was six hours ago and I still havent gotten it. I have only took time off for sleep and Walking Dead. Anyone else getting frustrated with it and about to say hell with it?
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Managed to get 4 mounts, 1 symbol, 1 maul, 1 orb. Those I for the most part got quite easily and was lucky.

So I thought that I'd try to complete the set and get a mount for my GF. I got like 10 freaking spears and no freaking mount. My GF has the worst luck ever.
  • Options
    drrowdrrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    101 runs without mount. I give up.
  • Options
    ichikuraichikura Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love the idea of anyone that has played for more then ten minutes can join the event skirmishes, however...if cryptic is going to RANDOMLY drop an auto bound mount (which means no one can buy it) that looks as amazing as that shadow wolf I'm going to cry...I literally went through over 60+ of that skirmish and the only thing I got was ANOTHER transmute weapon item...I got 3 in a row in fact...maybe a better idea then a random drop would be a scaling for how MANY times you join the event skirmish...I mean come on it takes 5-10 mins depending on the damage output of your party so why not make it if you do the skirmish 1-25 times you get dyes, 25-29 times you get weapon transmute items (that way no matter what level if you want to use it later you'll have more saved) and at 30 times you get the mount, any time after that you get additional enchants...in my opinion that would make more people WANT to do the skirmishes because your effort in doing them is actually paid off instead of oh look I did this event ONE time and just happened to get the mount EVERYONE wants so I'm not going to do it anymore. Just my opinion and I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Eh, I didn't even get a weapon, for either of my toons. Got 60 dyes and r3 cruels, though...which was a shame, coz that GF weapon transmute looks awesome.
    :(

I have to say, it was still an interesting experience: it's a great way to see the full range of play styles and playskills neverwinter has to offer. On balance, obviously an all-60s guild run is going to be the least painless, but I'd have to say that aside from that, getting lower level guys in the party usually made for a better run, since they actually seem to try. A lot of the 60s I encountered were more of a hindrance than anything else (my favourite was a DC who just stood in the centre on about 1K HP, so the rest of us did our damnedest to kite EVERYTHING away from him, running benny hill circles around the outside with my GF while the level 15 TRs plinked away at their backsides, only to realise that he was genuinely afk and just didn't give a ****. And when he came back to the keyboard? DAUNTING LIIIIIIGHT....and nothing else -_-. To be fair, he did outdamage everyone else, so they were very good daunting lights, but still...).

So overall, drop rate bad, experience otherwise entertaining.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . The only thing I did not like is the Bind on Pickup of the weapons and mount. These should either have been account unlocks (Claimable in the Rewards Agent), Bind to Account (allowing mailing to alts), or Bind on Equip. The influx of BoP items in the game has severely made the grind feeling of the game horrible to me. I do not like this marketing tactic one bit. Please, for the love of Mystra, deter from this BoP Mentality in the future. Thanks!

Events Suggestion:
    • Make all Cosmetic Rewards Account Unlocks, claimable & reclaimable in the Rewards Agent.
    • Make all Mount Rewards Account Unlocks, claimable & reclaimable in the Rewards Agent.
    • Make all Companion Rewards Account Unlocks, claimable & reclaimable in the Rewards Agent.
    • Apply a retroactive script to unlock past claimed rewards to coincide with the above.