Install Arc
Options

"Ranged Combat" Discussion for the Hunter Ranger Class

Comments

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    I cant tell if your trolling or just a bad player the majority of the complaints atm are about the playstyle of the class and the last balance patch they nerfed there dps personally i see the class as a hybrid melee/ranged toon and could careless about any one elses play style. Th problems with the class atm is the encounter and at will dmg the classes play style is a personal problem. With that said keep the thread on track. All i see are people buthurt cuase the class dose not cater to there personal playstyles and desires any legit feed back is being drowned out in this huge argument.

You failed to see that the HR is a striker class which rely on Ranged only or melee only or hybrid. As it stands we are being forced to play hybrid in order to just survive
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Here is something for you. Rangers prefer bow cause they are able to kill quicker at distance. Getting in close would lead to a prolonged battle that would more than likely destroy wilderness areas that they are trying to protect. Yes they can use melee if their shots fail to kill. In table top D&D I always used a bow, yes I had a sword also but never really used it.

You should just accept that this class is not your cup of tea and playstyle and just move on to another class. The class is meant to be melee/ranged Hybrid if thats not your playstyle so be it why post here eclipsing actual feed back Over a personal preference your playstyle is your personal preference and it differs from what the others feel.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Can you just accept that this class is not your cup of tea and playstyle and just move on to something better i see you post nothing that can be considered feed back and i am not trying to be rude but i have never seen a person QQ this much over something he or she cant control.The class is ment to be melee/ranged Hybrid if thats not your playstyle so be it why post here eclipsing actual feed back Over a personal preference your playstyle is your personal preference and it differs from what the rest of us in the thread thinks.

Couldn't have worded this better myself. You good sir/ madam, have hit the nail on the head
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    indevaindeva Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't tell me what I can and can not play. HRs need their ranged damage fixed. We have said their ranged damage needs to be increased but instead the class keeps getting nerfed to the point that no one is going to want to play it.

I didn't, I sugested that if you want to play a pure range class then go with CW or DC.
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    Then look at our archery tree and tell me again that it isnt intended to play a ranger on range only.

Well, we have 'tab' and thats 6 (3 range, 3 melee) encounters so no I don't think the class is intended to use only range skillz.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    indeva wrote: »
    I didn't, I sugested that if you want to play a pure range class then go with CW or DC.

Well, we have 'tab' and thats 6 (3 range, 3 melee) encounters so no I don't think the class is intended to use only range skillz.

You did it again. You are telling me what to play. Ranger is what I want to play. Being forced into a certain style is not fair as the other classes are not being forced to. If I want to play a pure range style with the HR I should not be hindered in doing so. As the HR stands right now with the big cuts to damages, that is what I am being forced to do.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    indeva wrote: »

A i said in another thread the archery tree has more to do with crits then it dose just being in ranged combat if any one actualy read the feats in it the keystone feat in it also seem to let you constantly crit i havent tested it yet any one got feed back on that feat.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mio1968 wrote: »
    I found that my biggest trouble was against a higher number of mobs. As such I always opened with 2 split shots, which got rid of basic adds. This was pre nerf, now it takes 3, which I don't have time to fire, so I do 2 and switch stance to finish off the weaklings. Against bosses it was the easiest part. With so many shifts you can avoid most damage. My toughest times were when facing 2-3 multi life-bar opponents or when a boss spawned adds mid battle. My way to get through that was forest ghost to open some distance and basically reset my rotation. Without forest ghost it would not have worked, and I agree it should not be so. Then again dailies are meant to be life savers. The boss battle in "root of the problem" is still a challenge to me, if I am not on my game I die.

This is a big part of what my complaint is about, the balance between HR and any other of the classes in general doesn't exist not to mention the balance within the class itself between range and melee combat. HR HAS to play both range and melee (the only class requiring use of the TAB feat) but even when doing that the HR must make use of Dailies in order to make decent use of the required range combat.

The shift ability is nice to avoid damage but does nothing to put distance between the HR and his targeted opponent, the mechanic is much better suited to the TR Whisperknife. As soon as the HR shifts and turns to target the enemy for a ranged attack the enemy has already closed within melee range again.

I'm harping extensively on the lack of range capability moreso to point out that the build does NOT fit a combo play style but rather a choice playstyle, speak one or the other, and even therein it fails lacking the ability to keep the HR away from melee.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    well that is the class they designed, and told us we were getting, would it be nice to get say 85% out of the class if you focused on ranged or melee only? Heck yeah, but they dont want that, personally I will prob focus on 1 side of things but I do so knowing full well I am not getting 100% out of the class.

I'd accept only getting 75% of the potential out of the class by focusing solely on one aspect if I was still able to survive. As currently is that is not the case, nor is a valid primary range focus viable.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    giomanach1 wrote: »
    This is a big part of what my complaint is about, the balance between HR and any other of the classes in general doesn't exist not to mention the balance within the class itself between range and melee combat. HR HAS to play both range and melee (the only class requiring use of the TAB feat) but even when doing that the HR must make use of Dailies in order to make decent use of the required range combat.

The shift ability is nice to avoid damage but does nothing to put distance between the HR and his targeted opponent, the mechanic is much better suited to the TR Whisperknife. As soon as the HR shifts and turns to target the enemy for a ranged attack the enemy has already closed within melee range again.

I'm harping extensively on the lack of range capability moreso to point out that the build does NOT fit a combo play style but rather a choice playstyle, speak one or the other, and even therein it fails lacking the ability to keep the HR away from melee.

The shift skill for me is a small invulnerability frame its not ment to gain huge distance unless i bust all of my stamina. Also archery line has traits to better help you gain stamina as well as in the regular feats you real distance hard evasion skill is ME. The class also has a lot of regen on armor sets and has high natural deflection as well its only lacking in HP but i find if you go hafling/dawrf you can get 20 con dex and wisdom because i believe strength is the lesser of the two secondary states dex boost your dmg and wisdom your crit chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You failed to see that the HR is a striker class which rely on Ranged only or melee only or hybrid. As it stands we are being forced to play hybrid in order to just survive

This, I agree upon. If specced full Ranged, one should not be tabbing like a moron to simply stay alive. If anything, one should be tabbing like a moron to be topping dps charts >.>

And I'm play testing a Ranged build, on lvl 60, with rank 7+ enchants. For if you were wondering. (Still trying to get a bow with weapon enchant slot, have a P vorp waiting.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You did it again. You are telling me what to play. Ranger is what I want to play. Being forced into a certain style is not fair as the other classes are not being forced to. If I want to play a pure range style with the HR I should not be hindered in doing so. As the HR stands right now with the big cuts to damages, that is what I am being forced to do.

DC CW ARE Ranged dps classes their range of at wills and skills varies but there clearly meant to do only ranged dps just as GWF GF are strictly melee i would say TR have hit a sort of sweet spot between melee and ranged with their at wills and new encounter abilities. HR is in the on a whole different lvl its designed by nature to be a hybrid class why even have a melee option if the ranged skills were so good you never needed to use melee makes the whole point of the class tab useless. I think the only class that doesn't use ther tab is GF thats a def story. This class by design is made to utilise two weapon sets and if one skill set is superior to the other in every way why bother with the melee none would not even i would if this was the case but its not the class is gonna force you to be hybrid cause that's how its designed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    A i said in another thread the archery tree has more to do with crits then it dose just being in ranged combat if any one actualy read the feats in it the keystone feat in it also seem to let you constantly crit i havent tested it yet any one got feed back on that feat.

Reading the feats crit increase pertains mostly to ranged attacks (admitted that doesn't have to mean outside of melee range) with 1 general crit increase and even 1 melee damage increase in the archery tree. The only other general damage increase is determined by the distance the HR is from his/her target.

Ghostwalker - Increase stamina regain while in ranged stance
    Black Arrow - Increase crit severity with ranged attacks
    Bloodthirsty - After activating ranged encounter, melee encounter does more damage
    Stormcaller's Arrow - Increase duration of Split the Sky
    Correcting Aim - non crit attacks (both ranged and melee) increase the chance to crit (either ranged or melee)
    Nature's Grasp - Ranged powers have a chance to apply weak Grasping Roots
    Sniper's Aim - Increase your damage based on targets distance (should work just as well for Marauder's Rush and Boar Charge)
    Prime Critical - When you crit (either ranged or melee) reduce encounter cooldowns
    Master of Archery - When you crit with a ranged attack it guarantees next attack will crit (could be melee as well as ranged gaining the benefit)

That's the Archery skill tree, 2 feats do not have a "ranged use" requirement and the 1 that is specific on distance could even be used for melee. Overall melee could benefit from 5 of the feats. On the other hand the Melee tree has Retreat Technique - Shifting grants Action points as the only non-melee required feat and Agile Hunter - melee encounters reduce cooldown of ranged encounters as the only feat range can benefit from. The Nature tree has 4 feats melee directly benefits from and 1 feat for range with Master of Nature benefitting allies affected by 4 of the 5 feats (Fox Cunning isn't covered in MoN).

Odd... For a hybrid based class it looks very much aimed towards melee use.
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

Right once again. I agree right here.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Reading the feats crit increase pertains mostly to ranged attacks (admitted that doesn't have to mean outside of melee range) with 1 general crit increase and even 1 melee damage increase in the archery tree. The only other general damage increase is determined by the distance the HR is from his/her target.

Ghostwalker - Increase stamina regain while in ranged stance
    Black Arrow - Increase crit severity with ranged attacks
    Bloodthirsty - After activating ranged encounter, melee encounter does more damage
    Stormcaller's Arrow - Increase duration of Split the Sky
    Correcting Aim - non crit attacks (both ranged and melee) increase the chance to crit (either ranged or melee)
    Nature's Grasp - Ranged powers have a chance to apply weak Grasping Roots
    Sniper's Aim - Increase your damage based on targets distance (should work just as well for Marauder's Rush and Boar Charge)
    Prime Critical - When you crit (either ranged or melee) reduce encounter cooldowns
    Master of Archery - When you crit with a ranged attack it guarantees next attack will crit (could be melee as well as ranged gaining the benefit)

That's the Archery skill tree, 2 feats do not have a "ranged use" requirement and the 1 that is specific on distance could even be used for melee. Overall melee could benefit from 5 of the feats. On the other hand the Melee tree has Retreat Technique - Shifting grants Action points as the only non-melee required feat and Agile Hunter - melee encounters reduce cooldown of ranged encounters as the only feat range can benefit from. The Nature tree has 4 feats melee directly benefits from and 1 feat for range with Master of Nature benefitting allies affected by 4 of the 5 feats (Fox Cunning isn't covered in MoN).

Odd... For a hybrid based class it looks very much aimed towards melee use.

TY for posting the feats i cant be in game atm at work Archer tree seems designed to be almost like Renegade spec for CW Primale crit Correcting Aim and Master of archery Have or seem to have overwhelming synergy to make you crit constantly in both stances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Seems a bit unfair, to me.
    We get forced into playing a hybrid ranger, but the npc snipers & rangers get to play ranged only rangers.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Perhaps you should be suggesting for a new Ranger subclass that meets your wishes and playstyle instead of turning a subclass from what it is into something else. I'm sorry this class doesn't meet your expectations of a Ranger or how you want to play a Ranger but you keep saying you're being forced to play it. No one is forcing you to play the Hunter Ranger.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Perhaps you should be suggesting for a new Ranger subclass that meets your wishes and playstyle instead of turning a subclass from what it is into something else. I'm sorry this class doesn't meet your expectations of a Ranger or how you want to play a Ranger but you keep saying you're being forced to play it. No one is forcing you to play the Hunter Ranger.

Nobody is forcing me to play Neverwinter Online either but the class design IS forcing me to play the "hybrid" class in a way that isn't truely a hybrid.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Nobody is forcing me to play Neverwinter Online either but the class design IS forcing me to play the "hybrid" class in a way that isn't truely a hybrid.

This is why you post feed back on the feedback thread so we can get the class situated before its shipped out with that said the class by design is a hybrid class no iffs and or buts about it. The only problem with it atm is that its dps is lacking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This is why you post feed back on the feedback thread so we can get the class situated before its shipped out with that said the class by design is a hybrid class no iffs and or buts about it. The only problem with it atm is that its dps is lacking.

No the only problem is NOT just lacking DPS, it lacks effective HYBRID use of its range abilities. Has anyone attempted to out distance Rimefire Wolf with just shifting in order to effectively use a ranged attack? Doesn't work even when using the entire pool of stamina. The only truely effective means to gain that type of distance is Marauder's Escape and that has a 14.6 second CD just to get 2 ranged shots off at best.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    For those of you that continue to argue against the "archer" ranger by claiming HR is a hybrid, if you knew how to play an archer you'd also know that this is by no means a hybrid.

I can more effectively and with less difficulty swap between ranged and melee attacks with a TR Whisperknife than I can with the HR.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No the only problem is NOT just lacking DPS, it lacks effective HYBRID use of its range abilities. Has anyone attempted to out distance Rimefire Wolf with just shifting in order to effectively use a ranged attack? Doesn't work even when using the entire pool of stamina. The only truely effective means to gain that type of distance is Marauder's Escape and that has a 14.6 second CD just to get 2 ranged shots off at best.

Shift imho should not be used to gain distance it should be used to avoid dmg its to short to effectively gain distance like a cw teleport theirs is also a reason the stealth daily is 50% action point use. you can shift 4 time thats should be enough to avoid a few hit so you can use ME. Also taking a hit or two while casting split the sky is ok between split the sky and thorn ward its would be easy to AoE at least 3 mobs on you. well i am at lvl 55 so ill have to finish leveling up my ranger later tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Shift imho should not be used to gain distance it should be used to avoid dmg its to short to effectively gain distance like a cw teleport theirs is also a reason the stealth daily is 50% action point use. you can shift 4 time thats should be enough to avoid a few hit so you can use ME. Also taking a hit or two while casting split the sky is ok between split the sky and thorn ward its would be easy to AoE at least 3 mobs on you. well i am at lvl 55 so ill have to finish leveling up my ranger later tonight.

With a 14.6 second cooldown you're getting what? 6, maybe 8 ranged attacks after your opener while fighting a boss? That's still not "hybrid", it's melee with a touch of range.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I am a bit curious, we, the players, have been begging for a Ranger since before the game went live. And most of us who have, are used to, and expected an either/or Ranger. (either Dual-Wield or Ranged) And, based on all of the NPC Snipers and Rangers in the game, who use bows. Why would we be expected to be happy with a dual-stance ranger? Why would anyone think that we would even think such a thing could happen? But worst of all, WHY would they even decide to give the players a ranger that was different from what they gave the NPC's?
    I have NEVER seen an NPC ranger switch to blades, even at point blank range. They hang on to their bows 'til they die!
  • Options
    xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

You're kind of taking what they are saying out of context.

A Hunter Ranger is first and foremost a ranged class. With the capabilities of melee combat. As it stands right now, these changes are forcing a Hunter Ranger to play strictly as hybrid.

This would be the same as taking a GWF and not having the ability to strictly tank or strictly go on offense, for that too is a hybrid class.

A hybrid class should have capabilities of doing both, sacrificing one part to boost the other. making one self pure range, sacrifices your melee abilities, making one pure melee, sacrifices your range, or keeping balanced in both. Right now only one is viable.

Also this is a pure striker class, so this more than any other class should apply to them.

No one's being forced to play a Hunter Ranger true, but the ones that do, are being forced to play a specific kind of playstyle just to do decent enough.
    warzog wrote: »
    I am a bit curious, we, the players, have been begging for a Ranger since before the game went live. And most of us who have, are used to, and expected an either/or Ranger. (either Dual-Wield or Ranged) And, based on all of the NPC Snipers and Rangers in the game, who use bows. Why would we be expected to be happy with a dual-stance ranger? Why would anyone think that we would even think such a thing could happen? But worst of all, WHY would they even decide to give the players a ranger that was different from what they gave the NPC's?

You see. thats not really a problem, when the current ranger we have (prior to the recent patch changes) was very much capable of being completely ranged if they wanted to.

Right now, we cant, and to just fair decently we are forced to shift from both. Thats cutting the variety of playstyles of a class because of the cut down of every ranged damage ability they have.

The recent changes have done much more harm than good as thats obviously clear.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

This one is simple to answer, to be unique. The trouble is that it's not unique and other games have done a much better job of creating hybrid range/melee classes and even Cryptic has done a better job at it with the TR Whisperknife.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This one is simple to answer, to be unique. The trouble is that it's not unique and other games have done a much better job of creating hybrid range/melee classes and even Cryptic has done a better job at it with the TR Whisperknife.

According to the TR in the feed back thread the path is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with out IPTC and is to slow that paths is getting just as much hate as the HR even though the thread is not big enough to support that fact. But i will state my opinion i feel good about the HR playstyle its just the nerf to dmg that's worrisome the TR is different class has a melee strict path and then there's a strictly ranged path. For HR you have to bounce in between the two hence thers a slightly higher skill cap to the HR class as it take a bit of time getting use to.But atm HR is two high a skill cap with to little reward its dmg again needs to be fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Interesting volt, I never used IPTC on my TR while leveling from 0-60 so that makes me think it's either an elite or PvP rant. Also I didn't say it was perfect, only that it filled the hybrid role much better. Personally I find the range of the Whisperknife much to short for example but that doesn't mean I can't effectively swap between ranged and melee attacks quickly and easily.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    In other words, we begged for a ranger, they created a monstrosity, slapped the ranger name to it, shoved it down our throats, and we have to take it or leave it?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Interesting volt, I never used IPTC on my TR while leveling from 0-60 so that makes me think it's either an elite or PvP rant. Also I didn't say it was perfect, only that it filled the hybrid role much better.

I not hating on the TR path but when you go that path it seem you be come a highly mobile mid ranged TR the path seems to lean towards perma stealths TR. I am not saying the HR is perfect by any mean it just to me the class seem to hit the right niche of ranged and melee its still atwills and encounters needs work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    In other words, we begged for a ranger, they created a monstrosity, slapped the ranger name to it, shoved it down our throats, and we have to take it or leave it?

If your looking for a strictly ranged class HR is not for you we have CW for that and they offer better dps and control abilities. Any way have you played GW2 they got ranger perfect in my opinion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]