test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Ranged Combat" Discussion for the Hunter Ranger Class

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    I was watching a dvd when something kinda funny struck me:
    Considering all of the complaints about the HR, and it's inability to choose between ranged, or melee, or dual stance playstyles.
    Can you imagine what it's going to be like when it goes live?
    In these forums we've had what? a few dozen people posting?
    Imagine what all the folks on the live shard, who've all played rangers in other mmo's will say about the HR.
    I hope the fans of the dual-stance playstyle will be ready...
    I'll be in the background ROTFLMAO!
    . . . . . It's known that the majority of players who are happy do not post on the forums. So, if only a few are unhappy, then that means there are probably way more happy people playing their class successfully. As I said before, I know several who continue to play their Hunter Ranger on test quite successfully and are enjoying it and they are two who generally to not post on forums.

. . . . . It's also known that when people are unhappy, they either complain or just don't play and don't complain. Just because a handful are complaining, that doesn't mean there are sounds of others who are also unhappy. Furthermore, it is common knowledge in the MMO Media Industry that those who post on gaming forums are the minority of players in an online game. This is why MMO Gaming Feedback is gained from many other sources other than gaming forums and fan sites and is why we tend to see changes that "forum posters didn't ask for." A lot of times however, forum feedback and other sources of feedback to fall in line and this is when we see changes that the "forum posters asked for," and then generally hear how the minority were listened to - when in actuality the forum feedback coincided with the other sources of feedback.

. . . . .
    So, let's leave hypothetical statistics out of the conversation please. Thanks.
  • ljz6ljz6 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . It's known that the majority of players who are happy do not post on the forums. So, if only a few are unhappy, then that means there are probably way more happy people playing their class successfully. As I said before, I know several who continue to play their Hunter Ranger on test quite successfully and are enjoying it and they are two who generally to not post on forums.

. . . . . It's also known that when people are unhappy, they either complain or just don't play and don't complain. Just because a handful are complaining, that doesn't mean there are sounds of others who are also unhappy. Furthermore, it is common knowledge in the MMO Media Industry that those who post on gaming forums are the minority of players in an online game. This is why MMO Gaming Feedback is gained from many other sources other than gaming forums and fan sites and is why we tend to see changes that "forum posters didn't ask for." A lot of times however, forum feedback and other sources of feedback to fall in line and this is when we see changes that the "forum posters asked for," and then generally hear how the minority were listened to - when in actuality the forum feedback coincided with the other sources of feedback.

. . . . .
    So, let's leave hypothetical statistics out of the conversation please. Thanks.

Correct, I come to these forums often but I never bother posting, it's just interested to read what others thoughts are on this topic. I love my HR. I can't wait for him to come live so I can stop toying around on the Test shard. Hell, I know a few people who make him look pretty OP.

I'm happy with my HR, it's such a shame that these forums are quite negative when it comes to constructive criticism, maybe if it was more open and understanding instead of throwing around insults that you see in this thread more people would take a minute and post.
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    interesting how long it will take for them tom make a REAL ranged non magic class. probably at least a year since treehugging peta activis, ugly-dirty-evil wizard and paladin will be before that :(

• voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    banaanc wrote: »
    interesting how long it will take for them tom make a REAL ranged non magic class. probably at least a year since treehugging peta activis, ugly-dirty-evil wizard and paladin will be before that :(

Take a look at onis and his ranger he proves the ranger can do dmg and hold there own in solo content.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpcAVJjfBw.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tyrannisstyranniss Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Voltomey,

Just a suggestion but I'd avoid the directed vitriol and nasty reply's to other peoples posts. Telling someone else to shut up on an open forum is kinda not a good idea.

banaanc has as much right to make his opinion heard as you or anyone else on here.

Just my 2 Cents
    edited November 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    you need to hush up and take a look at onis and his ranger he proves the ranger can do dmg and hold there own in solo content because i am overwhelmingly tired of hearing pointless post from you.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpcAVJjfBw.

holy cow, he even manages to pull dps of a lvl 40 cw, this proves nothing, its a skirmish with lvl 18 in his party, and since its preview, he should have high rank enchants. i could make a video of skirmish from my cw, gwf, hell even gf should do more dmg

i want to play ranger but not this hybrid trash that they give us where you have to work hard to do less dps than cw or gwf facerolling keyboard, i want to play the class the way i like not being forced to hybrid with at wills doing same dmg at lvl 15 as a lvl 2 tr in tutorial

• giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I knew somebody would try using Onis' video as "proof" that we're wrong. It's a very controlled environment he's using to show the viability as an archer, I can do that as well but why should I have to run all the way back to the original spawning zone in order to survive when I'm in a solo dungeon?

I'll refrain from further comments on the subject.
    edited November 2013
    giomanach1 wrote: »
    I knew somebody would try using Onis' video as "proof" that we're wrong. It's a very controlled environment he's using to show the viability as an archer, I can do that as well but why should I have to run all the way back to the original spawning zone in order to survive when I'm in a solo dungeon?

I'll refrain from further comments on the subject.

I Used ornis vid not to prove it was a valid archer i used to to show more or less the dmg the class can do if played right. if i wanted to say its viable as being a pure archer its not you have to have watched the full vid cause he changes stances like crazy for the buff he gets from feats. The gear i have on my ranger is better then what ornises has on his at 60 atm i don't have any good artifacts and only a regular plaugefire enchantment.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    thats the problem they are FORCING me to switch, instead of switching when i deem it necessary

edited November 2013
    banaanc wrote: »
    thats the problem they are FORCING me to switch, instead of switching when i deem it necessary

The class is designed to be a hybrid playstyle not purely ranged or melee any way the point of the vid was to show you his dps over the other 60 ranger in that skirmish who stayed ranged stance the whole fight. The class is designed to use melee and range to synergise just like a GF or gwf only do a melee playstyle there is no choosing what you want to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xushin7xushin7 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    um... Call to Arms enemies are scaled. You can be level 6 and do thousands of damage in single attacks.
    Using a video in call to arms means really nothing.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The class is designed to be a hybrid playstyle not purely ranged or melee any way the point of the vid was to show you his dps over the other 60 ranger in that skirmish who stayed ranged stance the whole fight. The class is designed to use melee and range to synergise just like a GF or gwf only do a melee playstyle there is no choosing what you want to do.

The problem, is that the class has a tab-based ability. Like every other class outside of CW, you can avoid using that tab-based ability. But the developers are designing the class and the content, balancing the entire issue, around that tab-based ability. Just like they do with GWF and unstoppable. Just like a GF and block. Etc.

It would be the same as a GF complaining that they are forced to use block. No, they aren't. It's just going to be a lot harder to play the class without it, and your capabilities will suffer.

No, many of the individuals here don't care. The 'it's a hybrid' logic is irrelevant to them. They want an archer ranger, and are upset that this hybrid HR is the choice Cryptic made on the class.

If players were to 'reset' their thinking, and test the class from the hybrid perspective (i.e. quit trying to force it into ranged or melee only), I think we'd notice the playability and balance of the class. But from a ranged or melee only perspective, the class is the weakest of all classes.

Again, much like a GWF complaining that every few fights he's dying. When you ask him if he's using unstoppable, with the added damage resistance and temporary heal, and he says that he won't use it. Well of course the class is weak if you don't use unstoppable.

I have a feeling the reason this second post was made, and many of us were censored by moderators, is that this 'range vs. hybrid' debate is completely useless to them. They built a hybrid class, and want players to test a hybrid class. And I sincerely doubt they are going to change the whole design to be only one or the other this late in the game. In fact, I'd lose respect for them for not sticking with their guns, even though I personally am not interested in a hybrid class.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
    edited November 2013
    xushin7 wrote: »
    um... Call to Arms enemies are scaled. You can be level 6 and do thousands of damage in single attacks.
    Using a video in call to arms means really nothing.

I believe there scaled for low lvl characters cause i still do about the same amount of dmg to open world mobs in dread ring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I believe there scaled for low lvl characters cause i still do about the same amount of dmg to open world mobs in dread ring.

They scale it between individuals. Low level players will hit just as hard as high level players.

Only real penalty for having low level players in your party is that they don't have extra feats for their survivability, their player-to-player powers like heals and buffs are considerably lower, and they don't have access to all their power options.

Otherwise, they interact with the mobs same as level 60's, and level 60's don't get to see any real change in damage or defense in their opponent.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    The problem, is that the class has a tab-based ability. Like every other class outside of CW, you can avoid using that tab-based ability. But the developers are designing the class and the content, balancing the entire issue, around that tab-based ability. Just like they do with GWF and unstoppable. Just like a GF and block. Etc.

It would be the same as a GF complaining that they are forced to use block. No, they aren't. It's just going to be a lot harder to play the class without it, and your capabilities will suffer.

No, many of the individuals here don't care. The 'it's a hybrid' logic is irrelevant to them. They want an archer ranger, and are upset that this hybrid HR is the choice Cryptic made on the class.

If players were to 'reset' their thinking, and test the class from the hybrid perspective (i.e. quit trying to force it into ranged or melee only), I think we'd notice the playability and balance of the class. But from a ranged or melee only perspective, the class is the weakest of all classes.

Again, much like a GWF complaining that every few fights he's dying. When you ask him if he's using unstoppable, with the added damage resistance and temporary heal, and he says that he won't use it. Well of course the class is weak if you don't use unstoppable.

I have a feeling the reason this second post was made, and many of us were censored by moderators, is that this 'range vs. hybrid' debate is completely useless to them. They built a hybrid class, and want players to test a hybrid class. And I sincerely doubt they are going to change the whole design to be only one or the other this late in the game. In fact, I'd lose respect for them for not sticking with their guns, even though I personally am not interested in a hybrid class.
    Most of what you say is quite true, however, I believe that you are missing a few points.
    While all of the classes in NWO have a tab function, basing a build solely around it isn't the only way to play.
    I.E.;
    The TR, (the one I'm most familiar with) has stealth as it's tab function. Many players have taken that to mean that without stealth, the TR is useless. Hence, the Perma-Stealth builds. I, on the other hand, only use it when I initiate combat, but rarely if ever do I use it more than once.

Or, the GF, who's tab function is to raise their shield to absorb damage. The only time I've ever used it was against boss', or when I'm in a party full of squishies.

The point being, one can make a build centered around the class' tab function, or you can play without it pretty much all of the time.
    The folks who's builds tend to be focused around their class' tab function are usually those who mainly do pvp and dungeons. Those who don't, tend to be casual, pve only types.

Where the problem comes in, as Zebular indirectly pointed out on the previous page, this is a business. They develope content based on where the money is. Casual pve players don't spend much, the pvp/dungeon runners do, so content is based on what makes them happy.

Where the casual pve players have a problem is that we prefer to have options, as I gave with the TR and GF above. ATM, the HR doesn't really have any, but I am confident that by the time it goes live, it will.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
    edited November 2013
    GF tab is not shield block thats are shift skill GF never use ther tab skill ever unless it in epic frozen heart well thats the only place i even bother using it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    been a while since I played it, oops! but you get what I meant
    edited November 2013
    I'll withdraw most of my arguments about range seeing that the supposed potential for 93' attacks isn't truly given. A level 1 HR should have an 80' range yet he has to get within 6 shift moves before he's in range. It says that a shift moves 8' in any direction but that's the same distance as a TR dodge so it must actually be shorter, meaning that max range potential with a maxed Aspect of the Falcon is less than 61'. It also explains why the hit-and-run tactics are actually within such a much shorter range than I was looking for.
    edited November 2013
    You could say that HR is in the same situation as GWF it needs its tab to not only survive but do dmg cuas you get a dmg buff for every time you change stances. This is not bad design its how this class works for me personally this class has a very high skill cap and now thats i hit 60 i see the rewards that come out of it when used properly. Since the lvl up process was very frustrating for me the dmg the class dose is ok mind you i am only in t1 pvp gear no Ion stone companion artifacts or campaign buffs atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    If I want to be told how to play a class then I'll play WoW, LotR or GW1, or I'll listen to the know-it-all PvPers and min-maxers. I play D&D because I can play how I want with relatively few given limitations.
    edited November 2013
    If I want to be told how to play a class then I'll play WoW, LotR or GW1, or I'll listen to the know-it-all PvPers and min-maxers. I play D&D because I can play how I want with relatively few given limitations.

Now wait just a min your upset that this class plays one way and is designed to play said way and that since you cant play it your way how you want its bad and has many limitations and that you think your being told how to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Now wait just a min your upset that this class plays one way and is designed to play said way and that since you cant play it your way how you want its bad and has many limitations and that you think your being told how to play.

A little civility please.

The purpose of any game, or mmo, is to have fun. The more options one has, the more fun it is, for more people.
    edited November 2013
    A little civility please.

The purpose of any game, or mmo, is to have fun. The more options one has, the more fun it is, for more people.

And if your not having fun playing a class thats dose not fit your playstyle because of the way its designed to be played move on dont say its needs to be redesigned to support three different play styles when it was only meant to support one from the get go just cause your wanna play it a certain way that's unnatural to the ways it was designed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I can easily play TR as a stealthy assasin or a swaggering swashbuckler if I want. I can mix ranged and melee combat if I wish even without the Whisperknife path. I don't see "The class’ versatility and damage-dealing capability will make the Hunter Ranger an essential member of your next dungeon delve party" at the moment. I see I HAVE to use that versatility.

I am moving on now, I might look into the HR again but I won't bother with trying to refine it while in preview nor will I moan that Neverwinter doesn't have a ranger class when it goes live.
    edited November 2013
    Actually, I agree with Giomanch1 on the issue of 'play what you want'.

I have been told repeatedly how to play GWF. I've been told that I play it wrong, and have had the same people tell me I should play a Gaurdian Fighter because I make my GWF tank, or that I need to play a TR because when I PvP I do so with hit-and-run strikes.

I don't use tene's, despite being told that I'm useless without them. I stuck with T2 PvP valiant set, even though everyone told me it was useless. I swore by restoring strike, and I didn't stack regen. I didn't go with a perfect vorpal like everyone told me to, either.

In the end, I did things my way, and had amazing successes with my character. Solo'ing Fardevlers and Dwarf King. Duo runs on Karrundax and Spellplague. I play the class fast, with high deflect, and only base crit/ap.

I think there needs to be some 'touches' made to HR. I do NOT feel that it needs to be predominately one way or another. I think the devs need focused feedback on abilities. But I agree with Giomanach1, that in the end, the player will play it how he wants to play it. No matter what the devs do, there will always be 'archer only' players out there, no matter how hard they have to work for it. Let's just help, with constructive feedback, to make sure it is still a functional class, no matter what we personally wished for.

edited November 2013
    I've never been one trying to get on the top rankings of some PvP list or, with Neverwinter, skirmish/dungeon stats. I want a class that I can enjoy playing how I want but if I DO want to optimize it I can by using it's full potential. The devs nerfed range because melee wasn't getting enough attention in preview play, fine. Tells me either melee needed work or that most playing the HR were looking for a range primary class. I might actually make a permanent HR once it goes live but I doubt it'll become my class of choice if I'm still limited by having to use the versatility it has to offer.

A huge highlight for a class like the HR in any game is the potential to be used either one way or the other and it's always devistating when used as both.
    edited November 2013
    To those with the "Take it or Leave it" attitude:

If I may?

I've been playing the HR as it is, and I am having fun with it.

However, having said that, I must say that I fully understand the need for options, and the ability to change things up a bit.
    As the HR is in beta, what better time to ask for options? If we don't get them, so be it. But it never hurts to ask.

And as an example, I would probably never have played Neverwinter Online, if I were only allowed to play a Rogue in Perma-Stealth mode. I prefer a Rogue with a shortbow, but tossing daggers is fine. If the TR had no ranged damage, I couldn't play it. If the TR only had feats for melee, and not for stealth it would be less enjoyable. If we only had one kind of enchantment, things would get rough. If we only had one type of companion, 0_0 I hate to think what that would be like. If we could only ride horses, (My TR would simply outrun them ;p ) If there were only one dungeon, how often would it get played? If you could only do quests in parties with a single member of each class? How much fun would anyone have? How many people would simply say, that's the way it is, so live with it. or leave it.
    The point being, the more variety, or options, the more fun that we all can have.

And, as the old saying goes, "Variety is the Spice of Life."
    edited November 2013
    To those with the "Take it or Leave it" attitude:

If I may?

I've been playing the HR as it is, and I am having fun with it.

However, having said that, I must say that I fully understand the need for options, and the ability to change things up a bit.
    As the HR is in beta, what better time to ask for options? If we don't get them, so be it. But it never hurts to ask.

And as an example, I would probably never have played Neverwinter Online, if I were only allowed to play a Rogue in Perma-Stealth mode. I prefer a Rogue with a shortbow, but tossing daggers is fine. If the TR had no ranged damage, I couldn't play it. If the TR only had feats for melee, and not for stealth it would be less enjoyable. If we only had one kind of enchantment, things would get rough. If we only had one type of companion, 0_0 I hate to think what that would be like. If we could only ride horses, (My TR would simply outrun them ;p ) If there were only one dungeon, how often would it get played? If you could only do quests in parties with a single member of each class? How much fun would anyone have? How many people would simply say, that's the way it is, so live with it. or leave it.
    The point being, the more variety, or options, the more fun that we all can have.

And, as the old saying goes, "Variety is the Spice of Life."

Thus is the crux of the whole reasoning of this debate, that seems to get just looked passed by some people.
    edited November 2013
    When game developers have 3 melee oriented classes already and bring a new class into play with the potential for ranged play those looking for that type of style will flock to it while you have 2 types of melee players looking into it, those who don't like how the first 3 are played and those that are willing to try something new. That you'll get more feedback and testing on the ranged features of the class is something nobody should be surprised about. Likewise it's never surprising (at least to me) that melee players scream about how OP a martial range class is when it's first introduced. Take away the tossed daggers from TR and wait for the communities reaction. The min-maxers and PvPers will probably accept it without much complaint (unless it's more of an integral part of the "perfect" build than I'm assuming) but those wanting a ranged class will scream bloody murder. Given time the melee aspect of the HR will definately get more attention then it is right now completely on its own without forcing it on players. We're testing so maybe that's exactly why here the devs are deciding to force that style of play on us, to fine tune the optimized style of play they are picturing for the class.
    edited November 2013
    When game developers have 3 melee oriented classes already and bring a new class into play with the potential for ranged play those looking for that type of style will flock to it while you have 2 types of melee players looking into it, those who don't like how the first 3 are played and those that are willing to try something new. That you'll get more feedback and testing on the ranged features of the class is something nobody should be surprised about. Likewise it's never surprising (at least to me) that melee players scream about how OP a martial range class is when it's first introduced. Take away the tossed daggers from TR and wait for the communities reaction. The min-maxers and PvPers will probably accept it without much complaint (unless it's more of an integral part of the "perfect" build than I'm assuming) but those wanting a ranged class will scream bloody murder. Given time the melee aspect of the HR will definately get more attention then it is right now completely on its own without forcing it on players. We're testing so maybe that's exactly why here the devs are deciding to force that style of play on us, to fine tune the optimized style of play they are picturing for the class.

Yeah someone pointed that out to me initially the day the patch hit. When I specifically proclaimed how this was going to hurt HR overall.

This narrowed playstyle may be just for testing purposes. But as I said before, it would help if the devs had mentioned that. And alot of people wouldnt go into panic mode.

Where on the other side of the coin, going off of thier track record with other class changes in patch notes. These changes could potentially see thier way to live as well. So its either or.

A bit of communication could go along way specifically for this case.