test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Veteran's Day/Armistice Day IN GAME Event: Honor Thy Soldier, Nov 11th, 1PM & 7PM EST

aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
************* RAIDCALL ID# IS 7420194 *************

ALL HANDS ON DECK! I hereby invite the entire NEVERWINTER community, throughout the world, and from all corners of NEVERWINTER proper to the Tyrs Paladium Veterans Day Ceremony on November 11, 2013 !!

A few things have remained a constant here in Neverwinter since it's creation. The worldwide community of gamers, daytime and nightly D&D adventuring, the camaraderie of young and old, and a commitment to welcome the armed forces community, family, friends into the fold. Cryptic may have created this game, but its those of us that have taken this a step further... that come back to play in the world of Dungeons & Dragons time and time again, that have the best chance to make this a special place for many years to come.

Tyrs Paladium wishes to welcome all to join us to pay tribute to veterans, and their families from the United States, and friendly nations around the world. We gather solely to appreciate those who risk life and limb, to allow us to awake another day, hug our families/kids/parents, and do whatever it is we want to do.

This is for our brave soldiers, I hope to see some of you there!! /Salute

FEATURING:

Army Captain William Swensen Receives Medal of Honor

William-D-Swenson-medal-of-honor-19Oct13.jpg

Every once in a while, there comes a hero whose bravery earns him or her America’s highest military award, the Medal of Honor. Retired Army Captain William Swensen is one of those heroes.

Captain Swensen was recognized for his courageous actions on September 8, 2009 — the day of a brutal, seven-hour firefight against Taliban insurgents near the border of Pakistan that left four Americans, 10 Afghan soldiers, and a translator dead. Amid the turmoil, Swensen ran back into enemy fire repeatedly to rescue and evacuate both injured Americans and Afghan soldiers.

This coming Monday, we are going to tell his amazing story, and we will honor this great man.

For a GREAT man, the Saluting Marine, SSGT Tim Chambers.

RollingThunderMarineSalute02-1.jpg

VETERANS & ADAPTIVE DEVICES FOR VIDEO GAMING
...what Developers Can Do To Help.

For the disabled, including our returning veterans, video games can be a lifesaver. But developers have been slow to make their products more accessible. We CAN do more, and SHOULD do more.

U.S. Census data reports that 41.3 million Americans have some level of disability. That’s roughly 14 percent of the population. And if I were a betting Aandre, I'd bet that a larger percentage of disabled play MMOs than those who aren't disabled. Furthermore, Id lay a wager that a larger percentage of disabled gamers actually spend money (and more of it) on MMOs due to the time they spend at their PCs (and likely in game).

NBC did a great story on this a while back. For one musician they portrayed, game accessibility is about changing someone’s life for the better. “If you give the opportunity (to play games) to someone who is home bound, or locked inside a body that doesn’t work but their brain functions perfectly, you have the opportunity to save lives,” was her quote.

Here's an even better quote: “If I have to stare at a wall and become an inanimate object, it’s not a life … It’s not just a game, it’s a community.”

Isn't that the very essence of Dungeons & Dragons? To accept anyone into our community that wishes to be a contributing member in our world?

We have to find a better way.

More planned so stay tuned!

1. You can participate via in game text only (ceremony will be typed) or via interactive voice chat with RAIDCALL.
The Veterans Day Ceremony raidcall channel will be given here in a few days so check back! If you need help setting up raidcall, please ask. Its a free program and very easy to use.

2. Be sure to have your browser open and Youtube ready. We'll be watching some of the custom produced content together on Monday.

468px-Screenshot_2013-05-09-22-45-26.jpg

WHEN:

The Tyrs Paladium guild's Veterans Day Ceremony commences on MONDAY, November 11th, precisely at 1 PM EST and again at 7 PM EST.

WHERE:

We will meet at the Protectors Enclave, at the Trade of Blades. Head right to the last instance, BE SURE to check back here for last minute changes.

WHEN IS THAT IN YOUR TIMEZONE? (click on the event times below to get your local time!)

The 1PM event, The 7PM event.

We highly recommend that you give a little bit of your time and resources to your local community's veteran's association/organization if you are able. Veterans and their families can benefit directly in various ways.

One of my favorite organizations I got involved with this year is:

15p5qpy.jpg

This year we'll be sending a video of our event oversees directly to US and ally troops, as well as to members of the National Veterans Wheelchair Games which is a sports and rehabilitation program for
military service veterans who use wheelchairs for sports competition due to spinal cord injuries, amputations or certain neurological problems.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
Post edited by aandrethegiant on

Comments

• rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for doing this. I am former Canadian military along with my dad, mom, several uncles, and my grandfather who passed away back in 91.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks to you and your family for protecting freedom with us. We have a few Canadians in guild that I'm sure would be happy to see you attend. :)

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Nice to see Tyrs Paladium doing this. A fine guild with many veterans as members. A mention for the veterans of the Bundeswehr who serve(d) along side the American forces in Afghanistan would not be out of line this Armistice Day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I will make it to one of them, if not both.

As a Veteran myself, I appreciate this.

Moreso, I will be there in Honor and Memory of SFC Kenneth Westbrook (R.I.P.), a personal friend, who was the person CPT Swenson tried to save, and loaded onto the Helicopter, and kissed on the head in that video.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
    edited November 2013
    Nice to see Tyrs Paladium doing this. A fine guild with many veterans as members. A mention for the veterans of the Bundeswehr who serve(d) along side the American forces in Afghanistan would not be out of line this Armistice Day.

Absolut mein freund.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • exterminatumexterminatum Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What does this have to with a game?

I'm all for celebrating vets (lost a number of relatives in major conflicts of the 20th century), but aren't there more appropriate ways of doing so?

I don't mean to show disrespect to any of the folks playing this fine game, some of the greatest of them being my friends (including American and British vets). What I am asking is to keep it a fantasy game and just that. Thanks for your understanding.
  • yogokouyogokou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So you are asking to pay tribute to people... No.

I would like to see the second part of your post in a thread of its own, though.

EDIT: Again dear mod, remove/clear this post. It has been edited into something that makes no meaning. For reasons I don't agree.
    edited November 2013
    What does this have to with a game?

I respect your opinion. I'm sorry to hear about the relatives you've lost in past conflicts. I am grateful for their role in our history.

We all show appreciation in our own way. Many that show up to our event will state they came back from real life ceremonies/parades/cemeteries/veterans organization etc. Our ceremony has been in effect for five years now. This event is strictly a voluntary, non-political event. No political statements are made or allowed. All players are invited to attend, regardless of where you are from.

There are many military, both active and retired, who play MMOs. Dungeons & Dragons holds a special place to many in the military, as this was played either in their childhood years, or while active, years before there was ever a genre called "MMORPG". So many of these fine folks play Dungeons & Dragons or Neverwinter, thousands in fact, and we wish to simply spend some game time with them, say thank you, remember our POW/MIAs, and those who gave it all.

We have a right, and to some, we feel an obligation, to show appreciation to them on Veterans Day. We will be there.

• irdillonirdillon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 90
    edited November 2013
    How about appreciate that there's an event. Shut the hell up, and remember it's a **** game.
    edited November 2013
    I will make it to one of them, if not both.

As a Veteran myself, I appreciate this.

Moreso, I will be there in Honor and Memory of SFC Kenneth Westbrook (R.I.P.), a personal friend, who was the person CPT Swenson tried to save, and loaded onto the Helicopter, and kissed on the head in that video.

Well hello psyb3rtr011, thank you for your service. SFC Kenneth Westbrook will be discussed in one of the videos I'm making for this ceremony.

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hooah!
    /salute
  • msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll be there at 7 p.m to honor my nephews and my brother; all who have served or are serving. Exactly where in PE, please? To those of you who object: it is your right to stay away as it is our right to attend. That's the beauty of freedom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    irdillon wrote: »
    How about appreciate that there's an event. Shut the hell up, and remember it's a **** game.

Being a veteran is not about politics.

It's not about which political party is right, or even why we're over there.

It's about being willing to fight for the right thing, and being willing to fight for the freedom of your people.

It's about being willing to be the guy that steps up when no one else does, being the person that does the job so no one else has to.

Most of all, when it really comes down to it, it's about the guys to your left and right through it all.

Honoring those that served is not, and should never be about the politics surrounding wars they fought in. It's honoring them because they served. They stood up to be counted.

Veteran's day is not just about those that served in the most recent conflicts, it's about all veterans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • marenormarenor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I believe the moderation shown in this thread represents the understanding that this is a thread to organize an event to honour those that serve rather than a thread debating specific incidents that occurred and given the times of the posts it seems that understanding is shared by other moderators as well. I will be attending the event to acknowledge the daily sacrifices made by those that choose to serve honourably within the military of many nations and by serving allow us to exercise the freedoms we value at the appropriate time in the appropriate place.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    can't believe that there's negative posts about this =(

Thank you for putting this on Aandre and Tyrs Paladium. I will see you on Monday. The Marine Corps turns 238 years old on the 10th as well, Semper Fi.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
    edited November 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    can't believe that there's negative posts about this =(

Thank you for putting this on Aandre and Tyrs Paladium. I will see you on Monday. The Marine Corps turns 238 years old on the 10th as well, Semper Fi.

Thank you very much for your service. So many stories I could tell of the Marines... I think I'll prepare one for Monday.

• azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for your words in honoring those of us that serve. Regardless of the nationality, we should always honor those that have served their countries. We are all just men and women protecting those that we care about. This we'll defend.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    As a former Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine, just no longer active duty), I appreciate this show by the developers and people who plan to attend. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it, as a friend of mine is taking me to the Dolphins-Bucs game that night to celebrate Veteran's Day!

Woo Hoo
    edited November 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Thank you for your words in honoring those of us that serve. Regardless of the nationality, we should always honor those that have served their countries. We are all just men and women protecting those that we care about. This we'll defend.

Wise and true words!

edited November 2013
    twstdecho wrote: »
    As a former Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine, just no longer active duty), I appreciate this show by the developers and people who plan to attend. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it, as a friend of mine is taking me to the Dolphins-Bucs game that night to celebrate Veteran's Day!

Woo Hoo

Haha, have fun!!

edited November 2013
    I'll be there at 7 p.m to honor my nephews and my brother; all who have served or are serving. Exactly where in PE, please? To those of you who object: it is your right to stay away as it is our right to attend. That's the beauty of freedom.

Thanks msrebel. Well stated and with style and class as always! You did see I updated the location info, right?

edited November 2013
    Being a veteran is not about politics.

It's about being willing to fight for the right thing, and being willing to fight for the freedom of your people.

It's about being willing to be the guy that steps up when no one else does, being the person that does the job so no one else has to.

Most of all, when it really comes down to it, it's about the guys to your left and right through it all.

Honoring those that served is not, and should never be about the politics surrounding wars they fought in. It's honoring them because they served. They stood up to be counted.

Veteran's day is not just about those that served in the most recent conflicts, it's about all veterans.

Perfectly said.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited November 2013
    Andre, the question of where in the Enclave was asked, and does bring up a good question.

To limit interference from others, it should not be in the most congested areas, like the Market.

I would suggest the Trade of Blades as the most appropriate. Another place would be the raised platform above the prayer area, in front of the Palace, at the top. (The area you teleport to when using Scrolls) Because of the Teleportal, I would suggest closer to the entrance of the Palace.
    Psyb3rTr011
    edited November 2013
    Andre, the question of where in the Enclave was asked, and does bring up a good question.

To limit interference from others, it should not be in the most congested areas, like the Market.

I would suggest the Trade of Blades as the most appropriate. Another place would be the raised platform above the prayer area, in front of the Palace, at the top. (The area you teleport to when using Scrolls) Because of the Teleportal, I would suggest closer to the entrance of the Palace.

I LOVE IT! Trade of Blades it is!

Changing the OP. Before the event starts we'll just check the fountain areas to make sure no one gets misplaced.

• shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thanks for planing this event, as a retired soldier myself, i really appreciate it, ill be there too after the real life ceremonies here.

LEST WE FORGET
  • msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks msrebel. Well stated and with style and class as always! You did see I updated the location info, right?
    Yes I saw the location change. I'll be there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    From Tyrs Paladium.. to all our Veterans, our poem, which we've recited to start our ceremonies each year...

oqdu8o.jpg

** Expand picture for the full size version!

edited November 2013
    For the first time ever, we will be broadcasting our event Live on Raidcall.

During the broadcast, I ask everyone to please mute your mic via headset or in Raidcall, with the only exceptions being when called upon or before/after the event. Talking is purely optional, so if you'd rather just listen in, that would be PERFECT! There's a typing function build right into the program too!

For those who have NEVER used raidcall, or any other third party voice software, the step by step directions should make things easy as pie! ANY questions just ask!

RAIDCALL WONT BE REQUIRED, but it will add so much more, even if you just listen in. If you need further help setting up, please contact me and I'll get you set up!

So, lets begin:

First of all, let's download the software here. Nice, you downloaded RaidCall! Now, lets start installing.

1st step:
    Choose the language and click OK

2nd step:
    You will see some text, read it and click Next

3rd step:
    Read the rules, If you are 13+ years old accept the license and click Next

4th step:
    Choose the folder for RaidCall and click Next

5th step:
    Finish the installing and run the program

6th step:
    After you will run the program click at "Create a new account"

7th step:

8th step:
    Join with your account and connect to the NW Veterans Day Ceremony Raidcall Group

OUR RAIDCALL ID# IS 7420194

• vespatienvespatien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would like to convey my thanks for putting such a great event which recognizes our veterans, past and present, for their service to our nation. I think this is an outstanding idea and personally appreciate the efforts on Cryptic's part. I will look forward to this event.

- Proudly Serving in the U.S. Army and Career Infantry Officer
    Aurelian - Guardian Fighter (Main)
    Metellus - Devoted Cleric
    Gallianus - Control Wizard
    Septimus - Great Weapon Fighter

Chocolate Stand

Neverwinter Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/Metellus1972
  • vespatienvespatien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Being a veteran is not about politics.

Veteran's day is not just about those that served in the most recent conflicts, it's about all veterans."

-Salute
    Aurelian - Guardian Fighter (Main)
    Metellus - Devoted Cleric
    Gallianus - Control Wizard
    Septimus - Great Weapon Fighter

Chocolate Stand

Neverwinter Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/Metellus1972
This discussion has been closed.