test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Server Technology Upgrade - October 8, 2013 starting at 8pm PDT (Pacific)

cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
edited October 2013 in News & Announcements
Hey all,

As announced on our blog post, the upgrades are happening next Tuesday, October 8th, starting at 8pm PDT (Pacific). The estimated downtime will be 6 hours.

When will the upgrade begin for you? Click here to find out.

Thanks so much for understanding. We'll have more information as we near our maintenance period, but this is just a week-long heads up so you can prepare (auctions, Celestial Coins, etc.!). For now, please feel free to read our extended FAQ regarding shards.

Cheers,
Pin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Woot !!! about time
  • canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey all,

As announced on our blog post[/url], the upgrades are happening next Tuesday, October 8th, starting at 8pm PDT (Pacific). The estimated downtime will be 6 hours.
    Pin

To confirm, this is happening at 8 PM and not 8 AM PDT?

Thanks!
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey all,

As announced on our blog post, the upgrades are happening next Tuesday, October 8th, starting at 8pm PDT (Pacific). The estimated downtime will be 6 hours.

When will the upgrade begin for you? Click here to find out.

Thanks so much for understanding. We'll have more information as we near our maintenance period, but this is just a week-long heads up so you can prepare (auctions, Celestial Coins, etc.!). For now, please feel free to read our extended FAQ regarding shards.

Cheers,
    Pin

I have a big question .
    What will you do with identical char names? Or we get free rename token.
    Special i dont want to see my name on other 3 ppl .

Sorry for bad eng.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have a big question .

Sorry for bad eng.

This is already covered in the extended FAQ. Nothing will be done because character names aren't unique in NW. Only your @handle is unique. So there could already be 1000s of people with the same character name as your character on your shard.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes i understand then why can't i create specific name beacuse somone use it ?
    I don't know i have created my last char ower 2 moth beack ,not tried it now.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes i understand then why can't i create specific name beacuse somone use it ?
    I don't know i have created my last char ower 2 moth beack ,not tried it now.

The only way you would be prevented from using a name because it is in use is if you are the one using that name. You can't have two characters with the same name. It doesn't matter whether someone else is using it or not.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can't say I'm surprised at this, we all knew it was coming. Just glad to see it finally happening.
    Kelvar Lo'Zakven, 70 Drow Elf Ranger

"Don't underestimate your foe. If you do, you're probably dead." - Kelvar, to Torrence the Strong
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited October 2013
    canmann wrote: »
    To confirm, this is happening at 8 PM and not 8 AM PDT?

Thanks!

Correct! 8 P.M. PDT in the evening on October 8th.
    I have a big question .

Sorry for bad eng.

It won't affect any character names since they all have unique @handles.
  • swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Correct! 8 P.M. PDT in the evening on October 8th.

It won't affect any character names since they all have unique @handles.

I am annoyed to discover my characters name has been added to the random name generator.

Have you harvested new names for the random gen database from those existing in the game?
    If you have i would ask you look to outside sources to prevent homogenization and allow some semi-uniqueness.

This is new as all through the betas and release i never saw another repeat.

A guildy used a rename token due to a rather awkward realisation we were the same. He just grabbed a random name about 10 days ago. Whereas mine was chosen from release.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What name do you go by, if I might ask? I mean, there are scores of Iados Vicelords and John Droversons running around out there. I think I have a fairly solid handle on what given and surnames are in the random generator. Are you sure it's not just bad luck?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What name do you go by, if I might ask? I mean, there are scores of Iados Vicelords and John Droversons running around out there. I think I have a fairly solid handle on what given and surnames are in the random generator. Are you sure it's not just bad luck?

That is more likely to be believed. Then they went personally out of the way to steal HIS precious name. Id also like to know this wonderful name, so I can be sure not to offend by taking it in the future.
  • ephirollephiroll Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A few people are nothing. Google your real name and see how many of you there are. You're already in a random name generator called life.
    edited October 2013

I think i'll be leaving my chars name out of the thread. I seem to have left far too much troll bait as it is. Although i wouldnt be surprised if someone found it too hard to resist some stalking.

I agree if my name was Mika Shortbeard or another one of the many swathes of commonly seen names i wouldnt be surprised. I have considered bad luck, and its a fair question to ask. It is definately plausible that i have seen only one other in the game for its public life, and then a guildmate/irl friend who chose a random gen name just recently, that its always been in there.

Its also plausible that Cryptic has extended its database using existing names of characters.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    That is more likely to be believed. Then they went personally out of the way to steal HIS precious name. Id also like to know this wonderful name, so I can be sure not to offend by taking it in the future.

Lol. Yeah i'm sure you would troll any further knowing it. I worded my post such that i wasnt speaking on behalf of people whom i have no business/right to do so. I wasnt aiming to claim i am precious nor do i have sole right to the name. I dont like the idea of it becoming so common that its an obvious random gen name, i.e becoming so common Beckylunatic above can recognise it as a random gen name.

If poeple want to use it, great, I just dont want it suggested to them.
    ephiroll wrote: »
    A few people are nothing. Google your real name and see how many of you there are. You're already in a random name generator called life.

OMG you are so right LIFE /facepalm how did i forget this! How did i confuse this for life? I mean at the top of the page it does say 'Neverwinter'!

Complaining about complainers complaining about a game?!?!
    Tool.
    edited October 2013
    So, all talk no evidence. Shocking and totally unpredictable. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    Providing my name is not evidence, it would be just fuel and ammunition. But aside from that you do make a good point. I will edit my post to ask 'IF' not 'WHY' as i have no evidence.
  • lumicakerylumicakery Member Posts: 95
    edited October 2013
    Dude, your concern is so unreal that I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.

If you wanted your character's name to be unique, then you should have, I dunno, come up with a unique name. If you're unsatisfied with your character's current name, then purchase a rename token. So far, I haven't seen anyone else with my character's name. If you use the random generator, it's for certain someone else will have your name. Note, this is not handle names, just character names.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm glad the shards are merging. Maybe then I can just enter queues without having to spam the chat :)
    Joachim the Coward
    NW-DKK8NIRO6
    edited October 2013
    lumicakery wrote: »
    Dude, your concern is so unreal that I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.

If you wanted your character's name to be unique, then you should have, I dunno, come up with a unique name. If you're unsatisfied with your character's current name, then purchase a rename token. So far, I haven't seen anyone else with my character's name. If you use the random generator, it's for certain someone else will have your name. Note, this is not handle names, just character names.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm glad the shards are merging. Maybe then I can just enter queues without having to spam the chat :)

Ok being that it meant something to you to have something unique so you made it up and typed it. You havnt seen anyone use the same name for months....then within a short space of time you see quite a few people with your name.... you are curious how they came to it and ask... its now on the random name generator! Feels great dont it?!

Yeah. Not. Even. A. Real. Concern.

I did chose and type my own name. But thanks for taking the time to read, comprehend and posting.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    8pm PDT Shurely shum mishtake,a favourable time for us europeans... I believe someones dropped the ball over the pond,they're in for a grilling. ;)
    edited October 2013
    swarfega27 wrote: »
    Ok being that it meant something to you to have something unique so you made it up and typed it. You havnt seen anyone use the same name for months....then within a short space of time you see quite a few people with your name.... you are curious how they came to it and ask... its now on the random name generator! Feels great dont it?!

Yeah. Not. Even. A. Real. Concern.

I did chose and type my own name. But thanks for taking the time to read, comprehend and posting.

Yea, and here is the problem with this line of thinking. Its absurd, slightly paranoid, and borderline narcissistic.

You actually believe that, recently mind you, Cryptic took the time to code in a whole new feature. Simply to sniff out player names for the sole singular purpose to bolster the random name database for new characters. Lets completely ignore the whole mechanics of how the system manages to do this without selecting the thousands of copyrighted, offensive, parody, immature, puns, and just out of place names people seem to come up with. Such a system would be a marvel of programming brilliance.

We can, perhaps assume, that human action was needed. Some Dev, saw your name and liked it sooo much it was manually added to the generator. Again, for the sole reason to give one more name to the 10 or 12 they already had. This was such a priority that it had to be done recently, during module 2 and holiday event crunch time. Not, for Feywild, not for launch, but recently. This in light of the fact that they didn't even expand the list for Elven names with the additional two races. They just recycled the very same names for wood Elves.

So, either your name was always part of the random name generator. Or it has to be one of the above situations. Just looking at it as an outsider, what seems more likely to you?
  • mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just waiting for all the people that used the random name generator to have a family reunion!
    You know you want to get to know all your kin that didn't have the imagination to come up with their own name.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Aww come on, how original is Mighty Midget for a tiefling? :D
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just waiting for all the people that used the random name generator to have a family reunion!
    You know you want to get to know all your kin that didn't have the imagination to come up with their own name.

You know, this is actually a really good idea. With only a few 'family names' in the generator, it would be really easy to pick 1/week (or more) and have a 'reunion' event, maybe a mini-zone exclusive to people with that family name. Throw in a couple of minor tasks, like the Midsummer stuff, to keep folks interested and presto! Socializing!
  • tangentxtangentx Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    im sorry but i want to ask if the server is down or somrthing? i cant connect atm
  • hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2013
    I've been telling people I want a Silverkin family reunion since I started playing about 7 or 8 weeks ago! I think it would be hilarious! I went with random generated purposely so as to not be unique; coincidence in-game can really bolster a sense of culture I think. Don't you find it interesting to find a person with a shared surname in real life? I do! I think it would be a lot of fun to meet all my half-Orc and Human and Tiefling, etc., Silverkin third-cousins.
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I haven't seen anyone called anotheralt yet or any of the other 6 characters I have

also 2 of those I got by using the random generator then swapping the words around
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hmm only 5 people on facebook with my name
    17 on linkedin, mostly in netherlands, not surpriseing with my family name
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have heard there's going be a extended long server down time. If this is so, can you comment on if you can extend the time for Celestial Coins?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    Have heard there's going be a extended long server down time. If this is so, can you comment on if you can extend the time for Celestial Coins?

They've announced it well in advance to allow every one to plan ahead and either cash out or tweak their time window to get coins that day.

They're not going to rescript how the coins work.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I think I've only seen one other Babausong on Mindflayer. Would be kinda nifty to meet up with others.
    contents to be decided
    edited October 2013
    The real question is would there be more Drizzt's then Shortcloaks? :p