test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Server Technology Upgrade - October 8, 2013 starting at 8pm PDT (Pacific)

Comments

• hempyhustlehempyhustle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Drizzt by a mile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.NOLIFEGAMER.com
    Play: PILLAGER* of the DEAD! By: Hempy NW-DNV3R9B4J
    ~HEMPY'S CRIT-GEN GUARDIAN FIGHTER BUILD~
  • josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just to confirm: all 3 shards will be merged tomorrow (October 8)?

I keep seeing 'servers will be upgraded' to support the merger, just looking for confirmation that the merger will occur at the same time.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    it`s merge ;p all in the faq
  • harbinger815harbinger815 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited October 2013
    im worried that this merger will cause so much framerate issues the game will become unplayable for me
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    im worried that this merger will cause so much framerate issues the game will become unplayable for me

Um....server has nothing to do with framerate. That's wholly a graphics/hardware issue.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmmmm... so EU players get 1 more day to play, it seems (for us merge will start on Wednesday).
    btw. wanna be unique? Create bio for your toon, end of story (or is it?).
  • josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tcarnce wrote: »
    it`s merge ;p all in the faq

Most likely, yes. However, I'm looking for an explicit confirmation that the 3 shards will be merged tomorrow. Upgrading technology to allow for a merge is not necessarily the same as merging shards.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
    edited October 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    Most likely, yes. However, I'm looking for an explicit confirmation that the 3 shards will be merged tomorrow. Upgrading technology to allow for a merge is not necessarily the same as merging shards.

The upgrade includes the shard merge, per the news blog.
    Well, we’re almost there! In the very near future, we’ll be performing the long-anticipated server upgrade that will bring all players together in a single, unified shard.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • traowintraowin Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    is the server currently down? I am unable to login
    edited October 2013
    traowin wrote: »
    is the server currently down? I am unable to login

At present, there are still the three individual shards---merge isn't until later. Which shard?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• bulldogdobsonbulldogdobson Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am excited about the merge, but i'm also afraid of the possible bugs from it. Like characters/guilds/items being lost in the transfer. Hope it all goes smooth.
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will the channel servers be down as well? I use Pidgin and like to chat sometimes with ppl in the game when I have to be out of it doing something else.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    elcymerian wrote: »
    Will the channel servers be down as well? I use Pidgin and like to chat sometimes with ppl in the game when I have to be out of it doing something else.

I doubt it. CO and STO would have gotten a warning that it was going down and the only downtime message on the CO forums is that the account server will be down for part of the upgrade.
  • corporatestaticcorporatestatic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just logged into the Gateway via my mobile phone and it now says the shard maintenance will begin tonight at 10PM PST. Has the time changed? Which is correct now? Thanks.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just logged into the Gateway via my mobile phone and it now says the shard maintenance will begin tonight at 10PM PST. Has the time changed? Which is correct now? Thanks.

The downtime notice was changed to 8pm PST.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any word on if (shardless, independent) Foundry server(s) will be down as well?
  • bn45bn45 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good luck with the upgrade!
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Any word on if (shardless, independent) Foundry server(s) will be down as well?

Yes, the entirety of the game will be down during the merge.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• stopicanhitustopicanhitu Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea, and here is the problem with this line of thinking. Its absurd, slightly paranoid, and borderline narcissistic.

You actually believe that, recently mind you, Cryptic took the time to code in a whole new feature. Simply to sniff out player names for the sole singular purpose to bolster the random name database for new characters. Lets completely ignore the whole mechanics of how the system manages to do this without selecting the thousands of copyrighted, offensive, parody, immature, puns, and just out of place names people seem to come up with. Such a system would be a marvel of programming brilliance.

We can, perhaps assume, that human action was needed. Some Dev, saw your name and liked it sooo much it was manually added to the generator. Again, for the sole reason to give one more name to the 10 or 12 they already had. This was such a priority that it had to be done recently, during module 2 and holiday event crunch time. Not, for Feywild, not for launch, but recently. This in light of the fact that they didn't even expand the list for Elven names with the additional two races. They just recycled the very same names for wood Elves.

So, either your name was always part of the random name generator. Or it has to be one of the above situations. Just looking at it as an outsider, what seems more likely to you?

like some game coders aren't lazy...i'm sure they would do such a thing as to steal names for a random generator...less work for them to come up with names

I mean if you got 10 coders how many names can they think up...yet you have 50,000 player base/.///boom instant random names
  • carkorakcarkorak Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ok, so they are not gonna tweak the timers for prayer and such...but what happens when the inevitable massive glitch happens and the servers are down for 3 days? bet they didn't think of that one.
    My Current Projects

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?483971-The-Minotaur-War-NW-DUUY8MZZ7

Item Farm:NW-DU5W8YQA8
    Prologue:NW-DUUY8MZZ7
    Chapter 1:NW-DN3TPGR4Q
    Chapter 2:NW-DDLCTYT8Q
  • slick97477slick97477 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well hopefully im wrong, but however this merge is gonna most likely break the game til at least morning. At least that is how perfect world's luck is most of the time anyhow. Not sure if it is coincidence stuff breaks all the time for them, or if it is just plain bad technicians trying to do a job they dont know.
    If they make something idiot proof. They will come out with better idiots
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Games are complicated, things can interact in unforeseen ways when altered, and stuff just plain happens sometimes. Don't knock the devs when there's no reason to do so.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • cypher4realz#0615 cypher4realz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey quick question. On the server before the shutdown, the announcement said that the shard will be down... for such and such amount of time. Is this shard maintenance singled out for the Mindflayer shard or all of them?
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All shards are down for this maintenance since they're all being merged into one mega-shard.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    May I please inquire as to why this couldn't be done at the same time as when the rest of the Cryptic games are brought down at 10 tonight?
  • cypher4realz#0615 cypher4realz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    All shards are down for this maintenance since they're all being merged into one mega-shard.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! Now to try and wrap around my head the ability to deal with the ridonkulous amount of spamme rs the gam e will have with the mega-shard in effect lol!
  • stripiestfilly0stripiestfilly0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    This is already covered in the extended FAQ. Nothing will be done because character names aren't unique in NW. Only your @handle is unique. So there could already be 1000s of people with the same character name as your character on your shard.

LOL - Arya Stark and Drizzt Do'urdens , millions out there!
    Sorcerer.jpg
  • rajanixisarajanixisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited October 2013
    sampa4 wrote: »
    May I please inquire as to why this couldn't be done at the same time as when the rest of the Cryptic games are brought down at 10 tonight?

Are the rest of the Cryptic games undergoing a similar magnitude change? (The long-sought transformation from individual shards to the Megazord, I mean, mega-shard.)?
    -Rajani Isa
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rajanixisa wrote: »
    Are the rest of the Cryptic games undergoing a similar magnitude change? (The long-sought transformation from individual shards to the Megazord, I mean, mega-shard.)?

Well, according to the Star Trek Online Forums, there is going to be an account-wide server maintainance starting at 10 pm PST and ends at midnight.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »

The independent, shardless Foundry server is down as well in solidarity with it's brethren apparently. :-(